PDA

View Full Version : DROID X2 Pictures and Specs Surface: Dual-core Processor, 1GB RAM, and qHD Screen Inc

Garemlin
02-13-2011, 11:51 AM
http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/DX2_1-395x600.jpg

We first reported that the 2011 DROID line-up would include a freshly upgraded DROID X2 (http://www.droid-life.com/2011/01/20/droid-x2-droid-3-and-incredible-2-all-in-the-works-stock-experience-coming/) powered by a dual-core Tegra 2 processor (http://www.droid-life.com/2011/01/21/rumors-droid-x2-will-be-dual-core-incredible-2-global/), but now we have a set of pictures and additional specs to confirm all of that. Site The Mobi Zone snagged an entire gallery of shots of the upcoming DX2 and you’ll notice right away that it looks no different than the original. In fact, the only difference we’re seeing is the removal of a dedicated camera button.

The phone won’t have a front facing camera, but will have that dual-core power, 1GB RAM, qHD screen and the new Blur that we’ve seen on the BIONIC. It looks like a beast, but the lack of a front camera is a little frustrating. I guess Verizon won’t be including them in any of their non-4G phones? And how could this phone have more RAM than the BIONIC?
Other specs:

NVIDIA Tegra 2 dual-core 1GHz processor
1GB RAM
QHD LCD Display - 540 x 960 Resolution (Same as Motorola Bionic)
3G Only – No LTE/4G
8MP Rear Facing Camera (No Front Cam)
Froyo (Android 2.2) – Could get Gingerbread (Adnroid 2.3) before launch
New Moto Blur (Same as Droid Bionic)
FM Radio
Locked/Encrypted BootLoader
Launch in Q2 of 2011
No Hardware Camera button

Full gallery here (http://www.droid-life.com/2011/02/13/droid-x2-pictures-and-specs-surface-dual-core-processor-1gb-ram-and-qhd-screen-included/)

Source DroidLife (http://www.droid-life.com/2011/02/13/droid-x2-pictures-and-specs-surface-dual-core-processor-1gb-ram-and-qhd-screen-included/) & The Mobi Zone (http://www.themobizone.com/content/motorola-droid-x2-pics-and-specs)

smalltowngirl13
02-13-2011, 11:55 AM
This will probably be my next phone...I am guessing :big smile:...or one of them...

Garemlin
02-13-2011, 12:09 PM
Locked bootloader along with the currently unhackable GB. And the deletion of the physical camera button. This phone has zero appeal outside of the 1GB RAM. Dual core optimized Android isn't even here yet.

X street
02-13-2011, 12:33 PM
No 4 g? Motorola, has to step up its game. When the droid x was released it was a flagship phone. Thou the hardware is impressive, having the boot loader locked so costumers can't really take advantage of it is a shame. Plus limiting it to the slower network also handicaps the phone. Its almost as motorola doesn't want the X to be a flag ship phone.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

fabtech
02-13-2011, 12:40 PM
wel....guess im getting the Thunderbolt

smalltowngirl13
02-13-2011, 12:43 PM
Locked bootloader along with the currently unhackable GB. And the deletion of the physical camera button. This phone has zero appeal outside of the 1GB RAM. Dual core optimized Android isn't even here yet.

Never say never...the same thoughts circled around the X too...if there is a will, there is a way...

But there is more to a phone than being able to root it to IMO...

Show
02-13-2011, 12:57 PM
Never say never...the same thoughts circled around the X too...if there is a will, there is a way...

But there is more to a phone than being able to root it to IMO...

I agree, but no FF cam.. is a little blah.

jmckemy
02-13-2011, 01:10 PM
wel....guess im getting the Thunderbolt

Me too. No 4G and no front facing camera. Motorola is still thinking like its 2009

xrazedx
02-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Well, my next phone will be 4g so I will pass on this. This phone isn't really as appealing to Droid X owners as it will be to other people with less powerful phones, IMO.

SVDroidDude
02-13-2011, 01:45 PM
Yup. Next phone will be 4G and have a FF camera.

AirJordan
02-13-2011, 01:45 PM
I can't get a new phone for another year and a half, but I'd pass on this anyway. Not much different, even worse in some aspects.

Garemlin
02-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Well, my next phone will be 4g so I will pass on this. This phone isn't really as appealing to Droid X owners as it will be to other people with less powerful phones, IMO.

It will be to those X owners who aren't worried about 3G and who have alot of money invested in accessories.

idontliketolose
02-13-2011, 02:03 PM
Isn't the bionic being released the same month?

germann1
02-13-2011, 02:04 PM
Sure...I'm just getting used to my X. No 4G is a no sell for me. Maybe next year.

tech_head
02-13-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm not interested in 4G until I see the plans.
I think the Bionic is the new flagship Droid.
DX2 is because it's cheaper to buy a bunch or processors from a single company. Probably is a cost reduction on the DX.
We all new the DX was going away no later than March.

spmdroidx
02-13-2011, 02:14 PM
I would get the bionic. I just got the X so I'll wait a while before my next phone

pimpannara
02-13-2011, 02:23 PM
not going to lie i was very excited to see the specs for this, but now im quite disappointed. dual core is nice but what high-end phone isnt gonna have that now? the only upside i see is the 1 GB of RAM. no FF cam, locked bootloader, no 4G, no aesthetic changes/improvements. sadly im going to have to pass.

holly
02-13-2011, 02:49 PM
I would love to have this phone if Verizon still offered unlimited data. I am perfectly satisfied with 3G and don't wish to incur the higher charges of 4G at this time. Higher screen resolution and RAM would be really nice.

Sent from my DROIDX

slim6596
02-13-2011, 04:38 PM
My upgrade comes around in December, but I will do what I did with the X. Wait and see what the dev community does (if anything). 4g doesn't interest me. I may just pick up another DX1 off CraigsList, if my current unit is suffering.

eljoker
02-13-2011, 04:47 PM
aside from ram, its looking like the bionic is my next phone. Ill miss the hard buttons tho.

greevedogg
02-13-2011, 05:55 PM
You guys saw the TI OMAP quad-core processors coming out by next year?
Holy Mobile Computing, Batman: TI Announces OMAP 5, A Monster 2GHz Quad Core Mobile Processor | Android News, Reviews, Apps, Games, Phones, Tablets, Tips, Mods, Videos, Tutorials - Android Police (http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/02/07/holy-mobile-computing-batman-ti-announces-omap-5-a-monster-2ghz-quad-core-mobile-processor/)
I think I can hold out til then! My DX suits me just fine for now!

slim6596
02-13-2011, 06:34 PM
What would the power drain be on something like that? I would think huge.

pimpannara
02-13-2011, 06:37 PM
agreed, unless manufacturers make some insane progress with batteries soon quad core processers seem pretty excessive to me.

What would the power drain be on something like that? I would think huge.

Rumbaugh.12
02-13-2011, 09:21 PM
I would like to see a front facing camera. Just one more bell and whistle that some phones already have

cory46
02-13-2011, 11:41 PM
I really couldn't care less about a front facing camera. I just don't see myself using it that often and right now my dx is perfectly fine without it. What I really see as the shortcomings of this phone is the bootloader. All of us on here get by without it now but I feel sometimes I'm missing that one extra piece of Android pie. Thunderbolt or any other HTC phone thats coming down the pipe this year and the old DX is heading to the sale room

Roooler
02-14-2011, 12:01 AM
Surely have no reason to buy this one :( i was hoping for "Major" updates.

psychotic_penguin
02-14-2011, 12:09 AM
Not a significant enough reason to update for me either. By the time 4G gets where I live the rest of the country will be all set for 5G, and since Android isn't even "officially" ready for dual core what's the point in even thinking about an upgrade at this point?

If I do upgrade it'll be the Bionic after Gingerbread comes out, and has been rooted. With dual core lag isn't gonna really be an issue and the new Blur doesn't look all that bad.

My big issue just like everyone else is the locked bootloader, I'm so tired of having Moto do this crap but moving to another brand just isn't an option for me.

Snow02
02-14-2011, 12:12 AM
Yeah, Tegra 2 and more ram is good. But they should have kept the camera button and added a ffc. Would have been a perfect substitute to the bionic for those not wanting to go 4G.

PhysicsGuy
02-14-2011, 03:35 AM
I could really care less about a front facing camera.

Reaver74
02-14-2011, 06:57 AM
Bearing in mind Verizon knows most X owners aren't going to update until their 2 year is up, this makes sense. There are going to be major updates every 2 years, with relatively minor ones in between. They are already dangerously close to oversaturation with the multiple models, and putting out huge launches every year will not return on the investment. Imagine the time and effort involved in tooling up and producing these phones for roughly 8 months of shelf life...

cory46
02-14-2011, 09:38 AM
Ha yes I see the mistake that's what I get for writing that in Word and the grammar check changed my "n't". I edited it for you haha.

cynkrzy
02-14-2011, 09:43 AM
And no camera button ? Well there ya go, that's a deal breaker right there :)

PhysicsGuy
02-14-2011, 09:51 AM
Thanks for being a good sport. I never mean to be a smart-ass, I just love that picture and use it when I see forum posts like that for laughs, not to be the grammar police.

cory46
02-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Haha its okay PhysicsGuy, where is the fun in the internet if you can't use sarcasm or be a smart ass. As far as the grammar police there should be more. Its all in good fun

turdbogls
02-14-2011, 11:54 AM
you guys have to realize they dont want 2 Beasts of a phone duking it out for top spot on the same network. the Bionic is the flagship phone for motorola. this is going to be a pretty awesome phone for someone that wants a beast, yet doesn't feel the need to pay extra for a capped 4G plan. I am not up for a new phone for another year and a half, so this probably wont even be on my radar by then, but it is still a great phone....and you know it will get icecream sandwich. I would take it for the screen alone.

DebianDog
02-14-2011, 01:19 PM
. I am not up for a new phone for another year and a half, so this probably wont even be on my radar by then

Exactly. The phone replacing my Droid X has not been made yet.

goblueboy
02-14-2011, 01:28 PM
Me too. No 4G and no front facing camera. Motorola is still thinking like its 2009

exactly what i was thinking!

bm.2112
02-14-2011, 01:58 PM
Pretty disappointed in the specs too. I liked the camera button and the only two things I wish my Droid X had was a front-facing cam and a faster internet connection. The processor isn't really a concern for me considering how few apps actually require an extremely powerful processor. I think I'm going to pass on the Droid X2 but by the time my upgrade comes around, they're probably going to have quad-cores and 12mp camera's.

Sent from my Liberated DroidX via Tapatalk

Snow02
02-14-2011, 01:59 PM
Yeah. Quad core snapdragon was announced at mwc today.

bm.2112
02-14-2011, 02:03 PM
Yeah. As of right now, it seems like a superfluous technology until Android finds ways for these phones to take advantage of the processing power. I would be more interested to see how the integrated GPU works.

Sent from my Liberated DroidX via Tapatalk

DonKilluminati
02-15-2011, 04:35 PM
my two years are up, so i can upgrade whenever i want. if it was going to cost me more to go the 4G route, id wait for the dx2. but, since it wont, the thunderbolt will have to be my choice. sorry motorola.

DebianDog
02-15-2011, 05:14 PM
It is NOT an upgrade for X owners it is a new model year Droid X 2011

RETG
02-15-2011, 05:19 PM
It will be to those X owners who aren't worried about 3G and who have alot of money invested in accessories.

Exactly; even though all I really have invested is a Seidio case. I might consider it in October when my one-year with the current Droid X expires. Then again, do I need to update? I live in a small town in the west, that has fantastic Verizon 3G service, and I'm a believer in that this area will be one of the last areas to turn on to LTE. So, it all depends on if I need a faster 3G phone, or just want something new.

There are also a lot of people who will not pay the extra for LTE, since 3G does a darn good job of surfing the net when needed.

Asharad
02-15-2011, 05:23 PM

I really don't care about FFC.

Garemlin
02-16-2011, 05:53 AM
Well here is a little rumor update. Looks like the first rumored specs are a little off. Back to single core with a bump in RAM and the same display.

via Engadget:

We've been hearing rumors of a Motorola Droid X 2 for a few days now from The Mobi Zone, complete with specs and pictures (above). Supposedly, it's the successor to the Droid X (http://www.engadget.com/tag/DroidX/), with a similar appearance, Android 2.2 with MOTOBLUR (http://www.engadget.com/tag/MOTOBLUR/), and the same 8 megapixel camera. Some of the leaked specs -- 4.3-inch qHD (960 x 540) display, 1GHz Tegra 2 dual-core CPU, 1GB RAM -- didn't sit well with us, since these closely match the upcoming LTE (http://www.engadget.com/tag/LTE/)-equipped Droid Bionic (http://www.engadget.com/tag/DroidBionic/). We did some digging around and one of our trusted sources confirmed that the Droid X 2 aka Droid X "squared" is indeed coming to Verizon in Q2 2011 without LTE. However, it appears to be a refreshed Droid X, with the same 4.3-inch WVGA (854 x 480) display, a 1.2GHz single-core CPU, and 768MB of RAM. It's not quite the powerhouse it was originally made out to be, but it now seems to be a better fit in the Droid family.

RedBank
02-16-2011, 06:17 AM
Well here is a little rumor update. Looks like the first rumored specs are a little off. Back to single core with a bump in RAM and the same display.

via Engadget:

Was just coming here to post this update as well. Yeah yeah...this isn't intended for us X owners...but this things is sooooo {{YAWNNNNNNN}}

I would rather the X2 that was floating around a few months ago that ended up only being a prototype of the original X...that thing looked cool.

Spec wise...:disappointed:

I'd really love me an Atrix to be honest with ya...but will NOT suffer with AT&T

eljoker
02-16-2011, 09:23 AM
Maybe it global? They might just be doing what they did with the D2?

Reaver74
02-16-2011, 11:00 AM
I'm actually a little happy about this. It means that accessory makers for the Droid X will have incentive to continue on for a while longer. As said before, this isn't an upgrade for current X owners. It's more an opportunity for those with original Droids to upgrade. Since they are keeping the same form factor (sans camera button), there is incentive for manufacturers to continue making cases, holsters, etc for our phones.

Garemlin
02-16-2011, 11:56 AM
One good thing I do see is this would more that likely be a warranty or an insurance replacement after the current X reaches EOL.

haknslash
02-16-2011, 09:30 PM
Not impressed. My next phone will be the Bionic or the Atrix when it releases soon. Unfortunately that means going back to AT&T if I choose Atrix. I had better recption at my house and work with AT&T but 3G coverage was horrible at home. When I went with VZW my phone is nearly useless at home and at work. Thankfully I now have a router so connecting to the net it not an issue with not having 3G. I also had to get a Samsung cell booster to get any kind of decent coverage just soe my phone could get cell signal. Unfortunately I live in a shadow on either provider but cell coverage was a hair better with AT&T. I just hated them in general. Thankfully this is a work phone so I have nothing invested. We'll see....

I love my X but I'm a sucker for speed, speed and even more speed!!

Garemlin
02-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Not impressed. My next phone will be the Atrix when it releases soon. Unfortunately that means going back to AT&T. But 4G, front and rear cameras, laptop docking, dual core 1ghz processor, and so on have me wanting it bad enough to put up with AT&T all over again. Sigh.

Why??? VZW is releasing a version of the Atrix later this year. No need to jump ship to AT&T.

cynkrzy
02-17-2011, 09:36 PM
Okay I'm a little slow, but does the lack of a camera button mean there would be no way to use Bootstrap/clockwork. Is this Motorola's way of locking down the phone?

Liberated(v1.5) from the "X"

WugFresh
02-17-2011, 09:44 PM
I vote: X2=lame, Bionic=less lame

{{ WugFresh }}

lynneddington
02-17-2011, 10:20 PM
Just starting to get a handle on my X, still having tons of fun (and a few pounds of headache) with it. Im thinking next phone will have to be unlocked. Wish my x was like the wifes d1. Much easier, but ive got the forums which makes my X doable even for the semi-tech challenged (that would be ME)

Getsome122
02-17-2011, 10:25 PM
One good thing I do see is this would more that likely be a warranty or an insurance replacement after the current X reaches EOL.

I would be Pissed If they gave me the X2 as a relacement for my X more than likely.

At least until everything we can do with the X now is sorted out and can be done with the X2.

DX- rooted, deodexed, strapped, OC'd, and themed how I like it.

btucker2003
02-17-2011, 10:27 PM
Not impressed. My next phone will be the Bionic or the Atrix when it releases soon. Unfortunately that means going back to AT&T if I choose Atrix. I had better recption at my house and work with AT&T but 3G coverage was horrible at home. When I went with VZW my phone is nearly useless at home and at work. Thankfully I now have a router so connecting to the net it not an issue with not having 3G. I also had to get a Samsung cell booster to get any kind of decent coverage just soe my phone could get cell signal. Unfortunately I live in a shadow on either provider but cell coverage was a hair better with AT&T. I just hated them in general. Thankfully this is a work phone so I have nothing invested. We'll see....

I love my X but I'm a sucker for speed, speed and even more speed!!

Bionic....google it! Your a bit premature

X'd out!!!

Konceptz804
02-18-2011, 03:51 PM
Im curious to everybody complaining about the lack of 4g, how many actually live in a area that will have 4G coverage before 2013.

Roooler
02-18-2011, 03:55 PM
Im curious to everybody complaining about the lack of 4g, how many actually live in a area that will have 4G coverage before 2013.

I could care less about 4G i live 3 hours away from the closest 4g area.. So i dont *Need* or even care for a 4G phone.. however my next phone will have a front facing camera.

Brandon9559
02-18-2011, 04:51 PM
Your current data plan will be the same with 4G

Blueduck3285
02-20-2011, 09:18 PM
Your current data plan will be the same with 4G

Really? Heard they are phasing out unlimited plans. So no, my current data plan (by the time I can get an upgrade) will not be the same as 4G.

Snow02
02-20-2011, 09:37 PM
There hasn't been any confirmation one way or the other. My guess is they'll keep the unlimited plans, possibly throttling speed down to 3G speeds once you go over 5 GB.

Garemlin
02-21-2011, 08:40 AM
I would be Pissed If they gave me the X2 as a relacement for my X more than likely.

At least until everything we can do with the X now is sorted out and can be done with the X2.

DX- rooted, deodexed, strapped, OC'd, and themed how I like it.

I'm sure once DX stocks are depleted the X2 will have been on the market long enough for root to have been obtained.

extrahorizons
02-21-2011, 08:57 AM
4g doesn't even factor into any decisions if you live in Indiana. We aren't scheduled for any upgrades until at least 2012. I'll wait for a new phone until then. (verizon)

Beeray
02-21-2011, 01:00 PM
Does anyone know if any new Motorola phones will be global?

Beeray

Brandon9559
02-21-2011, 07:10 PM
Really? Heard they are phasing out unlimited plans. So no, my current data plan (by the time I can get an upgrade) will not be the same as 4G.

I work for Verizon and have not heard a thing about phasing out unlimited plans. And even if they were..you would be grandfathered in. I was directly told that the data plans will not change....maybe mobile broadband devices...but not for smartphones.

Daybreak
02-21-2011, 07:41 PM
Howdy,

The description about the new Motorola Droid X should only be listed as Droid X version 1.1 It really does not rate being a whole number 2 version. Same great Droid X phone with a faster processor. Big Deal :tongue:

Now... if they wanted us (Droid X owners) to make a move, come out with Droid X 2 unlocked. :excited: That by itself would get me to budge...

WhiteWidow21
02-23-2011, 10:19 AM
This phone looks so lame its not even funny. When I upgrade my phone I actually want a upgrade. This is simply not a upgrade. I use the camara button all the time, and now its not there.....Weak.....Would really like a FF cam so I can stop hearing all the smack talk from my buddies with the Evo......Weak....Cant even use the Duel core processor....Weak...So the only thing I am actually getting is 1 mb of ram....Really....

This phone sounds like a crappy upgrade to me.

But hay at least my current phone covers will fit........so not a reason to buy thing phone.

paman
02-23-2011, 10:31 AM
current x covers will fit....but will leave a void where the camera button used to be...and a void in your heart where the original x would be

goliath602
02-24-2011, 01:52 PM
I cant believe that Motorola is not making any cosmetic changes to the X other than removing the camera button. And that is a downgrade in my opinion. I never use the on screen camera button.

joeyc1123
02-24-2011, 02:56 PM
Definitely blows that atrix is on at&t and not Verizon. I would love that phone with the dock accessory. I don't understand why they bogged down the bionic.

TheFandroid
02-28-2011, 02:13 PM
I'm liking the the new processor, but I'll stick with my X for the time being.

Blueduck3285
03-01-2011, 11:10 PM
I work for Verizon and have not heard a thing about phasing out unlimited plans. And even if they were..you would be grandfathered in. I was directly told that the data plans will not change....maybe mobile broadband devices...but not for smartphones.

I know this is kind of beating a dead horse but what was told to me back in november is exactly what is happening Here (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-news/20114-verizon-cfo-says-tiered-data-plans-starting-summer.html).

oooitzalex
03-03-2011, 11:22 PM
No FF Camera? No 4G? **** you motorola? oh and yeah, locked bootloader. FAIL. I have a droid x and love it but i hate that the bootloader limits the UI's i can run on my phone. At least my x will still be able to hold its own. Still a pretty reliable phone.

Running Liberty v1.5 ROM + fusion w/ gingerbread feel and blur apps
Liberty ToolBox
1.4ghz overclocked Jrummy's overlock app
14+ hours of battery time.

iNfAMOUS702
03-03-2011, 11:29 PM
There's plenty of ppl who have no need for a ffc and prolly won't be seeing 4G till 2013 or plain just don't care for 4G service ...you'd be surprised at how many ppl will find this.appealing..remember were tha 1%ers of tha android community..personally im fan of moto phones (locked bl or not) and waiting for tha bionic..just look at how far we've gotten with tha DX