PDA

View Full Version : what's the downside of root?

PhilD
02-12-2011, 08:19 PM
i know there aren't too many/any android malware apps out in the wild yet, but i still want to be prudent. does rooting my phone provide the equivalent of "admin" privileges to any app that wants it? will rooting my phone make it more susceptible to future viruses or malware?

my only goal is to be able to install a few additional and popular apps that require root for full functionality (pure messenger, adjBrightness, etc.). i do trust myself not to do anything too stupid with elevated privileges, so self defense isn't a good enough reason for me to avoid it.

thanks for your thoughts in advance!

Phildo
02-12-2011, 08:20 PM
the only virus that it is susceptible to is you....LOL

mikeinrichmond
02-12-2011, 08:24 PM
As long as you are checking privileges as you go, stick to downloading from the Market mostly, and have a good backup, you're set, no worries.. No anti-virus needed on Android.. :)

Droid-Xer
02-12-2011, 08:40 PM
Downside of root is that it does void the warranty, but only if you aren't wise enough to get rid of it. After rooting, if you need to get a replacement for whatever reason we can help you return it to stock. I've never seen anyone get a replacement denied due to root.

DrivetheGreen66
02-12-2011, 08:55 PM
As Droid Xer said thats the only downside. IMO Rooted DX >>>>>>>>> Nonrooted DX

PhilD
02-12-2011, 08:59 PM
i do generally stick to market apps with only a few exceptions for popular non-market apps, i'm paranoid and like to backup often (will probably try Titanium backup if i do root), and i have made just enough mistakes over the years to think twice before doing something stupid. warranty isn't a concern for me so good there too. i don't see a downside yet...

one more question: my Droid X is almost flawless - no freezes, no reboots, no lost audio during calls, everything has been working great since the last OTA update. i have been reading the problem reports on these issues here and elsewhere for many months but have not noticed any apparent correlation between rooted phones and increased frequency of these issues. has anyone else noticed otherwise?

thanks again

mikeinrichmond
02-12-2011, 09:45 PM
Having root access in and of itself has no correlation with problems/issues with the phone. It's what folks do with that dramatically increased access to the inner workings of the Android OS that is the real issue...

Like a loaded gun, when it's in the hands of a marksman it is a highly precise piece of technology, while in an amateur's hands there is reason for considerable trepidation...

PhilD
02-12-2011, 09:52 PM
well, i practice my shooting skills regularly so i guess i'm good to go :).

thanks for the comments everyone, i think i might just give z4root a try soon...

mikeinrichmond
02-12-2011, 09:53 PM
Here's a link to DD's excellent video on How To Root:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rs-video-guides/16792-video-idiots-guide-rooting-roming-backups-things.html#post173866

silver04v
02-12-2011, 09:57 PM
well, i practice my shooting skills regularly so i guess i'm good to go :).

thanks for the comments everyone, i think i might just give z4root a try soon...
I lasted like 4 days with a stock phone, got into root a few weeks ago with z4, very easy, and got TI backup, and some other root apps now im looking into doing roms real soon. The more you read the easier everything is to you.

PhilD
02-12-2011, 10:39 PM
Here's a link to DD's excellent video on How To Root:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rs-video-guides/16792-video-idiots-guide-rooting-roming-backups-things.html#post173866

that video is a great reference, thanks for calling my attention to it.