PDA

View Full Version : How to install custom boot animation

Flazell
02-11-2011, 07:33 PM
I have a custom boot animation that I want to install, I'm running Liberty 1.5. Whats the procedure as far as what to do with the bootanimation.zip file once you have it.

Flazell
02-11-2011, 11:07 PM
I finally got it. For any one that is curious, I installed it through Boot Recovery.

Balticzar
02-13-2011, 10:22 AM
I finally got it. For any one that is curious, I installed it through Terminal Emulator.

Can you please explain how you did it? This is driving me crazy. I'm also running Liberty 1.5 and trying to add a custom boot ani. All of the suggestions thus far I've received have not worked. I've stored the new boot ani on the root of my SD card as bootanimation.zip and tried flashing it via the Liberty Toolbox, via Clockwork and it was a no go. I also tried putting it in all of these various folders people have suggested and that hasn't worked either.
To be clear, the first one I flashed worked but I can't seem to overwrite it and flash another one. If one does look like it took I simply get a blank black screen and then the phone boots. This is CRAZY!! Loving Liberty 1.5 but this one issue......ugggghhhhhh!!!! Thanks.

Getsome122
02-13-2011, 10:29 AM
Easier to do thru root explorer ir whatever app you may use to move files. I have changed mine at least a dozen times today just trying out ones people have posted up.

DX- rooted, deodexed, strapped, OC'd, and themed how I like it.

mikeinrichmond
02-13-2011, 10:36 AM
You have to be able to move the file to the /data/local directory, rename the old file to bootanimation.bak or something else but this is easy to remember, then rename the one you want to use to bootanimation.zip then fix the permissions to look like this:

RW-
R--
R--

I use Root Explorer (~$4.00) from the Market to accomplish it. It's a much more powerful file manager than either the stock app or Astro..

If you want to go the easy way, but still have lots to choose from, you can d/l Absolute System from the Market ($2.00) and it has lots of bootanimations to choose from and will do all the work for ya..

Balticzar
02-13-2011, 11:31 AM
Still a no go. Thanks guys. Gonna backup up all apps, wipe everything and re-flash Liberty 1.5 and start from fresh. I must have messed something up with all of my flashing and moving folders around because even Absolute System was unable to install a new boot animation. Not gonna let this damn thing defeat me. I will not concede defeat! LOL.

Went from rooted OG Droid with many mods and ROMs to now Droid X rooted, several ROMs, OC'd, themed various times, no throttle hack. Also, Viewsonic G-Tab, rooted, running Vegan Tab, flashed several Notion Ink Adam apps. Etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

I'll be damned if this damn boot animation thing is gonna be my Waterloo. All of you guys are awesome. Appreciate the help. Thanks again. Rolling up the sleeves and diving back in with a fresh install!!

Flazell
02-13-2011, 03:45 PM
I went through the list of things also with a "no good" result. Finally, I tried booting into recovery, found the bootanimation file I put on the root of my SD card, installed, and that was a winner. Lets us know how you make out.
Can you please explain how you did it? This is driving me crazy. I'm also running Liberty 1.5 and trying to add a custom boot ani. All of the suggestions thus far I've received have not worked. I've stored the new boot ani on the root of my SD card as bootanimation.zip and tried flashing it via the Liberty Toolbox, via Clockwork and it was a no go. I also tried putting it in all of these various folders people have suggested and that hasn't worked either.
To be clear, the first one I flashed worked but I can't seem to overwrite it and flash another one. If one does look like it took I simply get a blank black screen and then the phone boots. This is CRAZY!! Loving Liberty 1.5 but this one issue......ugggghhhhhh!!!! Thanks.

Balticzar
02-13-2011, 07:38 PM
In the name of all that is holy, that was one heck of a fight!! However, I have emerged victorious.

In short, my biggest mistake was using a flashable zip file and installing it via folders (no go).
Second biggest mistake, when using the folder option (data/local), before Mikeinrichmond explained how to do it, I was not changing the permissions correctly.

At any rate, thank you to all !!!