PDA

View Full Version : Moving music and pictures WITHIN the phone

jrindt
02-08-2011, 04:13 PM
I feel like I'm going to scream. I have looked well and cannot find the answers I need.
I had a ton of music and photos on my phone. Music could be played with music player and photos could be seen in gallery. One day they were all missing, along with a few videos. I found most of them on my phone in the files. However, for the life of me I cannot figure out how exactly to put them back from the files into their respective places (the music player/playlists and the gallery. I have downloaded Astro File manager and can move some songs that were individually listed into other folders, but cannot find where the "music player/playlists "file"" and the "gallery "file"" are. PLEASE HELP!

JLMitch
02-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Is there a reason your files disappeared in the first place? If you have a backup, perhaps loading it will help put things back where they belong.

I hope this information helps: the gallery takes folders from different places and puts them in one place for you to view. Pictures taken with your phone's camera automatically go to the dcim folder. If you've downloaded pictures from elsewhere, try to remember where you got them from. At the root of the SD card, there is a download folder for things I've downloaded from my gmail. But if you downloaded pictures from your phone's web browser, they'll be in a download folder titled after your browser. For instance, I use Dolphin Mini for my browser, so there's a Dolphin Mini folder, then inside that there is a downloads folder for things I've gotten while surfing the web. I download songs using amazon mp3, so I would look in that folder for music. As for playlists, I don't know, try looking for a folder titled after your music player?

jrindt
02-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Ok I thought I answered and now don't see my answer on here. I do not know why the pictures and music disappeared. I downloaded almost all my photos and music from a flash drive thru my computer. I don't exactly know what you mean by the root of the sd card, although I have heard people talk about their phone being "rooted" (whatever that means). Any other ideas?

JLMitch
02-09-2011, 08:52 AM
On the computer, did you select all of the files and drag them over to your phone? If so, go in Astro and scroll down to your SD card folder...all of your stuff should be in there. I don't know if Astro has this feature, but while you're in there, if you know the names of your files, try pressing the Search hard key to see if you can find anything.

jrindt
02-09-2011, 12:42 PM
All of my files are in the sd card folder in astro. I just can't figure out how to put the songs back into the music player folder and the photos back into the gallery because I don't see those folders anywhere on astro.

usmc7356
02-09-2011, 01:24 PM
The root of your sd card simply means going to your sd card but not placing it in a sub folder. This root is different from gaining super user privileges on your phone also known as "rooting". You should have a folder on your sd card called "playlists" and that is where you would put your music. Your images should be dropped into your dcim folder.

$wYp€d on my deoliberooted x with the dxf app

jrindt
02-09-2011, 04:00 PM
I can put my pics in the dcim folder but when I click on the gallery to open them, the gallery opens and then closes real fast. Before when it was opening, I would click on a pic and it would open for a split second and then the photo would turn into another image (don't know how to describe the image but all pictures turned into the same image.) As for the playlists folder, there isn't one. Anywhere. I'm so frustrated.

usmc7356
02-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Are you on a stock phone or rooted with rom installed etc? There was a fairly large gallery glitch in the 2.1 software that was fixed in the 2.2 ota update, but I haven't heard of any issues with gallery in 2.2. Try installing a gallery from the app market and see if that lets you see your pictures. That way you can see if its a directory issue or app issue

You should be able to create a folder called "Playlists" and put your music in there either in sub folders for artists or styles etc or just as a big mass.

jrindt
02-09-2011, 08:09 PM
I don't know if I am on a stock phone or a rooted phone. I don't know how to tell. Is there a particular gallery that you would recommend I get from droid market?

usmc7356
02-09-2011, 10:31 PM
If you haven't installed z4 root or typed any commands into a terminal you aren't rooted although you could be if you wanted ;) I would recommend 3d gallery in the market. Give it a go.

jrindt
02-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Ok I fixed it. I actually tried this solution once before and it didn't work. Thought I would try it one more time since so many people said it worked for them. And voila! Here is what I did: I went to settings then applications then manage applications then all apps. I force stopped all 3 of these: gallery, media storage and media container. Within all three I also cleared all data and cleared caches. I then turned my phone off and then on again and it was all fixed. Weird. Now, I had put some photos in a private file, which is showing back up in my gallery, plus the pictures that I wanted private are not only in that folder but also in the folder along with all my other pics. I am wondering if, when I moved all those around originally, it caused the problem. Hmmm....

JLMitch
02-09-2011, 11:08 PM
Glad you fixed it... I was lost. Sorry I didn't help whatsoever lol.

Sent from my Droid X.

jrindt
02-10-2011, 05:00 AM
It is ok. Thank you so much for trying.