PDA

View Full Version : with all this talk about being throttled, i have a new question i swear

shelooga
02-08-2011, 03:56 PM
so were going to be throttled. but i have and will continue to use a throttle hack.
so my question is: when verizon goes to throttle me, and they cant (i hope), will they know? and technically if they knew i had removed the throttling files, they will then know im rooted, right?

dig'em
02-08-2011, 04:17 PM
From what I understand, it is very hard for them to know what you have done to your phone unless they have it in their hand.

I use the throttling hack and use excessive data.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

TideFan22
02-08-2011, 04:28 PM
I don't think its gonna affect u unless your a data hog? I may be wrong though. Still not happy with it

Sent from the state with 13 National Championships and the winningest bowl team

Backnblack
02-08-2011, 04:30 PM
The only users that would be throttled are the data hogs....most will never see it.

WugFresh
02-08-2011, 04:33 PM
Don't worry, I am higher on the hitlist than you, I use my unlimited data plan to the full extent. Does that make me a hog? No. Its not my responsibilty to make up for verizons short commings. They need to build more towers or switch to tiered data plans.

5% of their customer base is a lot of customers. If you guys are ok with this than I am really shocked.

{{ WugFresh }}

TideFan22
02-08-2011, 04:38 PM
That's not really what I meant didn't mean to come off like that, and I don't blame u for it you paid for unlimited use it as u please I say

Sent from the state with 13 National Championships and the winningest bowl team

Backnblack
02-08-2011, 04:40 PM
I doubt 5% of their android user base know anything of the hack....I would like to think so tho...

WugFresh
02-08-2011, 04:48 PM
I doubt 5% of their android user base know anything of the hack....I would like to think so tho...

Why do want the customers to take the burden. Wouldn't you rather Verizon step up to the plate and build more towers?

@Tide, no worries we are cool :)

{{ WugFresh }}

mikeinrichmond
02-08-2011, 04:58 PM
I still wish they would just come out and tell people what is really going on. Tell folks "FOr the first 5gb, you get max speed, for the next 5 you get 1/2speed etc..."

If you are a mobile broadband customer, what you can do and what it will cost you are very clear:

"4G Mobile Broadband Plans for 4G USB Modems
Monthly Access Fee Monthly Data Allowance Per-GB Rate After Allowance
$50 5 GB $10
$80 10 GB $10"

Perhaps it will eventually come to this on all plans once 4G is everywhere, but right now it is just ripe for customer complaints because of that word 'unlimited'...

DrivetheGreen66
02-09-2011, 11:02 PM
I still wish they would just come out and tell people what is really going on. Tell folks "FOr the first 5gb, you get max speed, for the next 5 you get 1/2speed etc..."

If you are a mobile broadband customer, what you can do and what it will cost you are very clear:

"4G Mobile Broadband Plans for 4G USB Modems
Monthly Access Fee Monthly Data Allowance Per-GB Rate After Allowance
$50 5 GB $10
$80 10 GB $10"

Perhaps it will eventually come to this on all plans once 4G is everywhere, but right now it is just ripe for customer complaints because of that word 'unlimited'...

That word unlimited is all VZW's fault. So its the customer's right to use the data as they see fit and as much as they want. I don't know whats going to come when 4G is available but I hope they eventually will bring unlimited back, but who knows.

Martin030908
02-09-2011, 11:07 PM
'unlimited' is still in place... they're not capping data, they're throttling speeds. VZW would be held liable if they capped while still calling it 'unlimited'... but they're just slowing the speeds, with no mention yet of capping the amount of data.... so you can still use the same amount, it's just gonna take a little longer :)

DrivetheGreen66
02-09-2011, 11:08 PM
'unlimited' is still in place... they're not capping data, they're throttling speeds. VZW would be held liable if they capped while still calling it 'unlimited'... but they're just slowing the speeds, with no mention yet of capping the amount of data.... so you can still use the same amount, it's just gonna take a little longer :)

I know that. I'm just saying for whats to come. sorry I wasn't clear in my original post. Been studying for too long.

Martin030908
02-09-2011, 11:11 PM
I know that. I'm just saying for whats to come. sorry I wasn't clear in my original post. Been studying for too long.

I agree the future with VZW looks like they may be taking away some things we've come to enjoy. Only time will tell... just the nature of the beast I guess.

DrivetheGreen66
02-09-2011, 11:13 PM
I agree the future with VZW looks like they may be taking away some things we've come to enjoy. Only time will tell... just the nature of the beast I guess.

True. Its the lesser of two evils in my opinion.

Snow02
02-09-2011, 11:14 PM
What are the two evils again?

DrivetheGreen66
02-09-2011, 11:15 PM
What are the two evils again?

VZW and AT&T

Martin030908
02-09-2011, 11:17 PM
VZW and AT&T

wireless carriers have use by the short hairs... just the way it is. :disappointed:

Snow02
02-09-2011, 11:18 PM
VZW and ATT
Yeah, I can agree with that.

DrivetheGreen66
02-09-2011, 11:19 PM
wireless carriers have use by the short hairs... just the way it is. :disappointed:

Thats very true. I have to have my mobile. We have eliminated our house phone.

Martin030908
02-09-2011, 11:35 PM
Thats very true. I have to have my mobile. We have eliminated our house phone.

ya, it's tough to send texts from a land line :big smile:

DrivetheGreen66
02-09-2011, 11:37 PM
ya, it's tough to send texts from a land line :big smile:

And no MMS ;)

goblueboy
02-10-2011, 08:07 AM
Why do want the customers to take the burden. Wouldn't you rather Verizon step up to the plate and build more towers?

Yes i would rather have them do that. however, thats probably not likely since they hold all the cards. its probably cheaper as well to just cut the top 5% than build more towers.

i assumed the top 5% is using like 8gb a cycle. which i only get up to about 2gb. so I'm not happy about this 5% throttle but it doesn't affect me either.

DebianDog
02-10-2011, 08:34 AM
MORE Towers would not fix anything. That is just a matter of being able to transmit and receive a signal.

Many users swamping the backbone is the issue. You guys do not think when you connect to this site it hops via cell towers to where ever the server is do you?

WugFresh
02-10-2011, 08:43 AM
No, it goes to a tower and then a satellite, how would building more towers not improve the ability to handle the data load?

If there are more towers in close proximity, wouldn't the overlap disperses the data transfer amongst the towers?

{{ WugFresh }}

movadoevo8
02-10-2011, 08:45 AM
so were going to be throttled. but i have and will continue to use a throttle hack.
so my question is: when verizon goes to throttle me, and they cant (i hope), will they know? and technically if they knew i had removed the throttling files, they will then know im rooted, right?

How to i set the throttle hack on my DROID X? Is it an app i need to install or what? Currently i'm rooted and running apex 1.3.1. Can someone guide me, thanks.

WugFresh
02-10-2011, 08:51 AM
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/14757-mod-uncapped-data-no-throttle-apex-1-3-1-31-stock-deodexed-2-2-1-only.html

{{ WugFresh }}

movadoevo8
02-10-2011, 11:05 AM
Thanks man!

Sweettreat
02-10-2011, 12:23 PM
Don't worry, I am higher on the hitlist than you, I use my unlimited data plan to the full extent. Does that make me a hog? No. Its not my responsibilty to make up for verizons short commings. They need to build more towers or switch to tiered data plans.

5% of their customer base is a lot of customers. If you guys are ok with this than I am really shocked.

{{ WugFresh }}

This is exactly right. They entice customers by sounding off about their network greatness and offering unlimited plans, etc. Upon entering into a contract for two years, they subsequently add data throttling. Fine. Let me out of my contract since you put limitations on my service.

Sweettreat
02-10-2011, 12:26 PM
MORE Towers would not fix anything. That is just a matter of being able to transmit and receive a signal.

Many users swamping the backbone is the issue. You guys do not think when you connect to this site it hops via cell towers to where ever the server is do you?

The backbone of the communications throughout this country, including internet, is fiber optic. There is plenty of capacity. The bottle neck lies with the towers.

movadoevo8
02-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Wait a minute Verizon adding throttling to our data plan doesn't that change/modify the contract I originally signed? Doesn't that mean our contract is now voided and we can get out if we want?

WugFresh
02-10-2011, 12:33 PM
It would certainly be a good argument, but if I were you I would whip out a magnifying glass and read that small print, I wouldnt be surprised in the least if there were already a clause for it, especially considering our services.jar files already contained a throttle entry... our phones were ready to be throttled when we bought them day one.

{{ WugFresh }}

Martin030908
02-10-2011, 12:34 PM
Wait a minute Verizon adding throttling to our data plan doesn't that change/modify the contract I originally signed? Doesn't that mean our contract is now voided and we can get out if we want?

no, the contract does not guarantee speeds.... it's still technically 'unlimited' because they're not capping... they're throttling.

WugFresh
02-10-2011, 12:37 PM
You can argue your way out of anything, even if you are wrong.

{{ WugFresh }}

Martin030908
02-10-2011, 12:49 PM
You can argue your way out of anything, even if you are wrong.

{{ WugFresh }}

+1.

but it's not really 'arguing'... that paints the image of screaming and yelling... you have to be articulate.... lol

WugFresh
02-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Yeah, you just have to out logic a supervisor, I have done it many times.

{{ WugFresh }}