PDA

View Full Version : What is the correct way to load music onto SD card?

DrCarl
02-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Greetings,

I have heard that we are to drop just the music files into the MUSIC folder.

I copied a few thousand songs over to my DX's SD card, and I left them in folder (and sub folders) thinking that the DX might have a better go with organizing them. Am I in error to do this?

What is the correct way to load music onto SD card?

TIA

drcarl

Using: DX, non-rooted, PowerAmp.

BenBrown
02-07-2011, 08:55 PM
I use PowerAmp myself and all I do is drag and drop files and folders onto the card into the /media/music folder and PowerAmp finds them fine. I suspect that you could put them anywhere and just tell PowerAmp where to find them in the settings. When I add new music I just go into the PowerAmp settings and tell it to rescan folders...after that all the music is available. One thing I do for album art is place a thumbnail picture in each album folder named "folder.jpg" and PowerAmp sees this and shows you the album art for each associated song in that album. I believe you can also include this pic in the "tag" info and the album art will be displayed without the picture being on the card....but tagging is a different thing all together.

DrCarl
02-07-2011, 09:20 PM
Looks like my dragging into the DXs "Music" folder a couple of dozen folders (and some have sub folders - ultimately like: Music/Rock/Santana, Music/Rock/CSN, Music/Rock/The Beatles) is OK...thanx

raw157
02-07-2011, 11:16 PM
As stated, you shouldn't have a problem. I don't have my full library on my droid at one time. It's actally broken up amongst 15 different sd cards that have labels about the type of music on them. I carry them around in a little padded thingy and it works wonders. Saves space for apps, and life's good.

kd0g
02-07-2011, 11:19 PM
Winamp works pretty good

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

Garemlin
02-08-2011, 05:13 AM
Moving to a/v

skennelly
02-08-2011, 05:58 AM
Good info. Anyone know the best way to create a playlist?

From my experience, I've had to long press each individual song and select "add to playlist". There has to be an easier way.

Sent from my DROID X in Western Illinois

mikeinrichmond
02-08-2011, 08:14 AM
I use doube twist because it now has a paid version ($2 I believe) that let's you sync over your home network ..

BenBrown
02-08-2011, 09:05 AM
Good info. Anyone know the best way to create a playlist?

From my experience, I've had to long press each individual song and select "add to playlist". There has to be an easier way.

You can create a playlist on your computer and copy it to your phone and it will work....I guess it depends on what player you're using I suppose.

Sent from my DROIDX

skennelly
02-08-2011, 11:27 AM
You can create a playlist on your computer and copy it to your phone and it will work....I guess it depends on what player you're using I suppose.

Dumb question, but is there a playlist folder that is on the sdcard? Or would I create said folder in the media>music folder?

Sent from my DROID X in Western Illinois

Snow02
02-08-2011, 11:46 AM
If you have playlists on your computer already, as long as you don't change the folder names for your music, you can just copy them over. They're likely .m3u files.

BenBrown
02-08-2011, 11:49 AM
I may be wrong but it shouldn't make any difference where the playlist files are kept. The playlist should have all the info where to find each song, album, etc.

Snow02
02-08-2011, 11:51 AM
Yeah, you misunderstood me. I think the songs need to stay in their respective folders, the playlists can go anywhere.

That could also be incorrect though.

LuciferRex
02-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Winamp works pretty good

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

+1 For sure!

BenBrown
02-08-2011, 03:46 PM
I think you can put the music anywhere...as long as you tell PowerAmp where it is.

Sent from my DROIDX

Ryder
02-09-2011, 05:30 AM
I agree with the member above that winamp works properly for it...

jmckemy
02-10-2011, 12:46 PM
How do I get album art to show up on Winamp? I use itunes on my pc and when I transfered the music over, the album is no where to be found...

LuciferRex
02-10-2011, 02:25 PM
How do I get album art to show up on Winamp? I use itunes on my pc and when I transfered the music over, the album is no where to be found...

I would give Coverart downloader a try Download Cover Art Downloader for your Android phone on AppBrain (http://www.appbrain.com/app/cover-art-downloader/com.birbeck.android.coverart)

jmckemy
02-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Thanks LuciferRex, just downloaded it and found the majority of my albums. Good enough.

Scooby7274
02-18-2011, 12:29 PM
I use mediamonkey.Takes a little learning,but I like it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

DrCarl
02-18-2011, 03:08 PM
thanks

Tyson
06-28-2011, 01:00 AM
Winamp works pretty good for loading songs music onto SD card..!!!