PDA

View Full Version : Dock Hack?

RadRacer
02-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Is there any way to have a different program launch when my DX goes into dock mode? I only have a dock in my car and would like it to launch the torque app (possibly even turn on Bluetooth?). Is this possible?

skennelly
02-08-2011, 06:41 AM
I would try finding the default app in home menu>settings>applications. Open the default app and there shoulo be an option at the bottom to "clear default". The next time you dock, it should have a pop up with both of your docking apps listed with a box to check that asks "use this app by default". Check the box & select the new app.

Otherwise, if you are rooted you could use root explorer to delete the default app and replace it with the new one.

Sent from my DROID X in Western Illinois

paboater76
02-08-2011, 06:52 AM
You could use the App called Tasker, this will do what you want.

paboater76
02-08-2011, 06:52 AM
To add, I just ordered my OBD2 bluetooth dongle from amazon. How do you like Torque. This the app I plan to use once my BT adapter arrives.

RadRacer
02-08-2011, 01:53 PM
Waiting on my Bluetooth adapter too :-P. Just trying to get everything else ready for when it does show up. Tasker seems like it'll do the job great, but for some reason I can't get it to kill torque when undocked. No biggie though, but I wouldn't mind that extra comfort of just grabbing the phone and go.

drew823
02-08-2011, 01:58 PM
what does the obd2 adapter do?

dbutters
02-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Waiting on my Bluetooth adapter too :-P. Just trying to get everything else ready for when it does show up. Tasker seems like it'll do the job great, but for some reason I can't get it to kill torque when undocked. No biggie though, but I wouldn't mind that extra comfort of just grabbing the phone and go.

Just add an 'exit' task of killing the app. Should work well enough.

RadRacer
02-08-2011, 04:15 PM
Tried that. It works with changing volume, backlight, etc, it just won't kill an app for me. Maybe that's a limit of the free trial? Or maybe I need to change a setting on my phone, Idk...

dbutters
02-08-2011, 07:17 PM
Tried that. It works with changing volume, backlight, etc, it just won't kill an app for me. Maybe that's a limit of the free trial? Or maybe I need to change a setting on my phone, Idk...

Weird. Did you check on the tasker wiki to see if there's any pertinent support?

RadRacer
02-08-2011, 08:30 PM
what does the obd2 adapter do?

Obd stands for on board diagnostics. Its the troubleshooting system in most cars. With the Bluetooth adapter we can use an app (such as torque) to monitor various sensors such as oil pressure, rpm, air to fuel, etc.

Weird. Did you check on the tasker wiki to see if there's any pertinent support?
I looked over it briefly and didn't see anything. Might give it a more in depth look tomorrow since I'm off work.

aedwards0582
02-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Just out of pure curiosity what bluetooth odb2 adapter are you all using!? I'd like to do a lill research! Sounds cool

Keep us posted on your progress I'd like to know how its working for you

Signed
DX NEWB but all around dork

Sent from my LiBeRaTeD DROIDX

Snow02
02-08-2011, 09:28 PM
I got the plx devices one. It was a little more expensive than some, but I know I don't have to worry if it were to go out. It's been working fine.

If you go with a cheaper one, just make sure the company will warranty it.

RadRacer
02-08-2011, 09:46 PM
I just got a cheapoe off eBay. Chinese knock off for $21 shipped. I've for some reason usually had good luck with knockoffs, so figured I'd try it. If it turns out it works great and I love the app, but the adapter dies in a month or so, I'll be more than willing to buy a good one. I prefer to cheap out at first to 'test the waters' so to say. If I like the setup, then I look into throwing abit more cash in it

paboater76
02-08-2011, 10:22 PM
I bought this one from amazon, it will be here Thursday
XiTech XR7 Bluetooth ELM, Droid, & Torque Compatible
Amazon.com: XiTech XR7 Bluetooth ELM, Droid, & Torque Compatible: Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HF7WLO/ref=oss_product)

aedwards0582
02-09-2011, 01:59 PM
I just got a cheapoe off eBay. Chinese knock off for $21 shipped. I've for some reason usually had good luck with knockoffs, so figured I'd try it. If it turns out it works great and I love the app, but the adapter dies in a month or so, I'll be more than willing to buy a good one. I prefer to cheap out at first to 'test the waters' so to say. If I like the setup, then I look into throwing abit more cash in it

Do you still have the link to the cheapy? Kinda like you id like to do a bit of research before I spend more money than needed
Sent from my LiBeRaTeD DROIDX

RadRacer
02-10-2011, 07:51 AM
Just eBay Bluetooth obd2 and you'll find plenty. Pretty much all the under $20 ones :-P

paboater76
02-10-2011, 02:43 PM
I received my adapter from amazon, it was simple to install, took 5 min. Plug and play. Torque found the adapter right away and the data began flowing. I had a check engine light on, the torque program read the code gave me a read out of the error and then I cleared the code and the dash light went out :) so far so good! On my next drive I will play with the widgets/displays etc to see what I like.

RadRacer
02-11-2011, 07:58 AM
I received my adapter from amazon, it was simple to install, took 5 min. Plug and play. Torque found the adapter right away and the data began flowing. I had a check engine light on, the torque program read the code gave me a read out of the error and then I cleared the code and the dash light went out :) so far so good! On my next drive I will play with the widgets/displays etc to see what I like.

Same here. Adapter showed up yesterday. Just did a quick plug n fiddled with it a little, but wont actually see anything till my next drive. Hopefully tomorrow :-)

stedrocklp
02-11-2011, 08:48 AM
I absolutely love torque. I saw the app first which made my buy the cheep (strait from china) bluetooth dongle. Not only does it tell you all sorts of cool information about what your car is up to, it can actually read and clear codes. Just to be clear, you should never just clear a code without knowing what it was you just cleared. The latest update of torque was a big one and the UI was completely redone. Personally I think it was for the best. A few tips: Go through all the settings and make sure that all the unit are in standard US format, also if you input the size of your engine (in Liters), the weight of you car it will give you extra readouts I.E. HP, Torque, MPG and maybe some I am missing. If you are a car guy this is the app for you. It even can show you what your turbo is doing (if you have one). As you might guess I like this app. Have fun

paboater76
02-11-2011, 08:57 AM
Did you get the vehicle weight from the drivers side manufacturer door tag?

stedrocklp
02-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Did you get the vehicle weight from the drivers side manufacturer door tag?
Yes I sure did. Make sure you get the gross vehicle weight though (GVWR).

RadRacer
02-11-2011, 09:32 PM
You'll probably want to add to that your weight, then a hundred or two more for gas and junk in the car :-P