PDA

View Full Version : Just want to root for certain apps

blux
02-07-2011, 07:32 AM
To be honest, all of the rooting threads here and on XDA Developers are very intimidating. I'm not too interested in theming my phone(I'm satisfied with LP, Minimal Text, etc. etc.), but I'd like to get the screenshot app, ad blocking, and anything else that may be accessible for rooted phones.

So, my question is, when I use z4root to root my phone, everything else will still work? It would basically just give me the "rooted" privileges and nothing really dangerous can happen unless I try to deodex, install ROMs, etc, correct?

If thats the case, can anyone give me a simple list of useful apps for rooted phones? I'd like to get the screenshot app, adblock, whichever the preferred backup app is, and I guess thats it. I'm not too sure about any other rooted apps.

EDIT: I also forgot, in order to just simply root and get the simple app access that I want, z4root is all that is required? Or do I need any other apps or a SBF?

smalltowngirl13
02-07-2011, 07:36 AM
Yes, Z4 will not change how the phone runs other than it places the SU (superuser) icon in your app tray.

Once you are rooted, reopen the Z4 app - grant it SU access and then download Droid X Bootstrapper - bootstrap and then boot into CW to make a backup...

Rooted apps I like...Absolute System (changes my fonts & boot animation), drocap2, cachemate, boot logo changer and quickclock...I have a few others but these are some of my fav's...

Good luck!! Ask questions as ya have them and definitely do the backup right after ya root!!

plumcrazy
02-07-2011, 08:16 AM
i rooted with z4 to have copy/paste only. everything else works fine.

blux
02-07-2011, 08:22 AM
Thank you! I have to wait to start the rooting process until this afternoon, but I'll give it a try when I get back from class.

blux
02-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Okay, I'm back from class, so I'm gonna try to root my phone now. While I was away, I came up with a few other questions. Whenever Gingerbread comes to the Droid X, what will I need to do in order to receive the update? I read about the bootstrapper/loader(not sure about the difference) and unrooting, but most of them were from people that use different ROMs I think. If I unroot my device, it would just cause Bootstrapper to be unusable, so I could just unroot, update, root, and then continue on. It's probably not as simple as that I'm guessing though. Also, I know I asked for some recommendations for root-only apps, but what about any apps that help with performance? Do any of them work differently(aside from SetCPU) and how effect is freezing some of the bloatware(like social networking or news/weather)?

I'm just curious about the benefits of rooting for someone like me, who doesn't care about theming, ROMs(for now), or wireless tethering.

plumcrazy
02-07-2011, 02:07 PM
it really is that simple. all i did was UNroot with z4, did the OTA update and re rooted with z4. all was good and working

blux
02-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Thanks. I'm currently rooted and already did a back up. Now I'm just looking for simple things :excited:

smalltowngirl13
02-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Congrats on the root...there is a video (check out the RS Video subsection) that DebianDog did for using TitaniumBackup which is what you would need to freeze bloatware to keep them from starting. Try not to delete anything - it is much easier to thaw something out and to find the .apk to reinstall...