PDA

View Full Version : Superbowl question

Cheaptoad
02-06-2011, 01:23 PM
Why can't radio stations say the words "superbowl" "greenbay packers" or "pittsburgh steelers"? Or was it a commercial I heard? Still why?

Sent from my DroidX
Since I'm perfect, all mistakes were made by Swype.

Backnblack
02-06-2011, 01:25 PM
Trademarked.....Royalties I guess..

http://askville.amazon.com/radio-stations-allowed-Super-Bowl-BCS-air/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=5964941

NFL doesn't want its trademarks to be infringed, so the use of Superbowl is allowed if it's in the context of news or discussions but not if it's in the context of a promotion or advertisement.

October 07, 2004
NFL Cracks Down on Super Bowl IP

The NFL is notorious for filing complaints and alleging copyright infringement, especially during football season. The one event they crack down on the most is, of course, the Super Bowl, as it tends to create a huge market for unauthorized distribution and trademark infringement on many things synonomous with the Super Bowl itself. The NFL holds the property rights to all phrases relating to the Super Bowl, and enforces very strict rules about which ones may not be legally broadcast by marketers and promoters not authorized by the NFL; for example:
Summary of Use of Trademarks [In Marketing & Promotions]

You cannot say or print:
* “Super Bowl”
* “Super Sunday”
* The Super Bowl logo
* “NFL”, “AFC”, or “NFC”
* “National Football League”
* “American Football Conference”
* ‘National Football Conference”
* Any team name (e.g., “Buccaneers") or nickname ("Bucs")

You CAN say or print:
*"The Big Game in (host city, i.e. Hosuton)"
*"The Professional Football Championship Game in Houston"
*The date of the game
*The names of the cities of the teams competing in the Super Bowl (i.e. New England v. Carolina), but NOT the team names themselves (i.e. Patriots v. Panthers)
*You can make fun of the fact that you cannot say the phrase "Super Bowl" by bleeping it out

Cheaptoad
02-06-2011, 01:26 PM
So they have too say things like. Who's watching that thing on tv today with a football?

Sent from my DroidX

beachy
02-06-2011, 01:43 PM
NFL has its way of being dumb about things.... i remember a couple years ago our church could not have a super bowl party cause we used a screen thats to big with too many people.... but the Bars could still do it. But thankfully they dropped the law or changed it up... but come one ! they make enough money that they want to make sure more tv's are tuned into the station.

Cheaptoad
02-06-2011, 01:49 PM
What a bunch of a holes

Sent from my DroidX