PDA

View Full Version : Rooted

cmd82
02-04-2011, 06:03 PM
What does rooted phones mean? A lot of great apps, such as Liberty, people talk about are only for rooted phones.
I thought rooting your phone (whatever rooting means) would void the phones warranty. So what is rooting and why would you do that?
Sent from my DROIDX

thspence
02-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Rooting basically gives the user the ability to customize and modify the phone the way you want it to be. The manufacturers and service providers place their preferences on the phone, which don't always line up with the owner's.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

1KDS
02-04-2011, 06:11 PM
There is a good explanation to what root is in the first post of this thread:
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacking-guides/12081-rooolers-guide-root-unroot-backup-rom-sbf-overclock.html

evltwn
02-04-2011, 06:11 PM
It means to gain administrative privileges to your phone. Which will allow you to run certain apps that only run on rooted phones. You can also run different ROMs. Yes, loading custom software on you phone will void your warranty. You should read up on it before rooting before taking the plunge.

Sent from my DROIDX

1KDS
02-04-2011, 06:13 PM
More good reading
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/hacking-help/15133-guide-modifications-risk-vs-reward.html

cmd82
02-04-2011, 08:23 PM
Thanks to all y'all. I have the information that was given to me, and I have determined that rooting isn't for me. I go through a lot phones, so I need my warranty. Lol. Thank you for the help.

Sent from my DROIDX

The persuader
02-04-2011, 08:38 PM
CMD82...

Just so ya know...Motorola...in my opinion is the Best Phone MFG in the Industry...being a former BB Storm user...I replace 7 phones...everyone after my New phone were Reburbished...

I would tell you to Keep Reading Post on this forum...the Tech Personal are Incredible...Review their Resolve and Solutions...All Most Instantious...

This is one Phone I would reconsider for Rooting, ROM's and Theme's...

Read on my good friend...

Its Bubba...

cmd82
02-04-2011, 09:07 PM
CMD82...

Just so ya know...Motorola...in my opinion is the Best Phone MFG in the Industry...being a former BB Storm user...I replace 7 phones...everyone after my New phone were Reburbished...

-I would tell you to Keep Reading Post on this forum...the Tech Personal are Incredible...Review their Resolve and Solutions...All Most Instantious...

This is one Phone I would reconsider for Rooting, ROM's and Theme's...

Read on my good friend...

Its Bubba...
I love Motorola!!!! I had BB curve before I went to Android. But I went through several Samsung Vibrants with T-Mobile before I decided to go with the DX. I'm scared about rooting since I'm not a very techy person. Lol. I have downloaded several apps to customize my phone such as Better Keyboard and a LED changer. I signed up for these forums, since I am a complete blond when it comes to tech issues. Lmao!! So far it has been an absolute best thing for me to have done. I always get the answers I'm looking for. Like, I had issues with the wifi not staying connected, and although the issue hasn't been completely solved, it's on its way to be being solved. Thank you so much for your input. I will continue to read further on rooting. Y'all are awesome for helping me!

Sent from my DROIDX

evltwn
02-04-2011, 10:30 PM
Ya know you can root your phone with Z4root and keep it stock otherwise. That's what I have done with mine. I just wanted to use the wireless tether app. Just some food for thought.

Sent from my DROIDX

cmd82
02-05-2011, 11:46 AM
Thank you. I'll chew on it. Lol

Sent from my DROIDX

mikeinrichmond
02-06-2011, 06:12 AM
Ya know you can root your phone with Z4root and keep it stock otherwise...

A nice thing about Z4root, is that if you decide you don't like root access, or need to send it to VZW, you can use it to unroot as well... :)

Garemlin
02-06-2011, 07:10 AM
Moving to appropriate sub forum

cmd82
02-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Moving to appropriate sub forum
What does that mean?

Sent from my DROIDX

1KDS
02-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Just trying to keep the forum tidy, he moved it into the hacks sub-forum instead of general or wherever it was

cmd82
02-06-2011, 09:51 PM
Just trying to keep the forum tidy, he moved it into the hacks sub-forum instead of general or wherever it was
Oh, interesting. I'm new to forums, so I just post whenever something comes to mind. Thank you for the help!!!

Sent from my DROIDX

FA1SGL
02-27-2011, 06:43 PM
I've been with Verizon for many years with many devices. I've discovered that at store level they generally don't know nor care about technical violations of TOS.

Unless you have, for example, z4root emblazoned on your front screen they aren't going to page through your apps to find anything.

If you take it in for problem "x" and they can replicate it you'll get your warranty swap.

They might go as far as checking for WDI but I've never had them even do that.

Most of my local Verizon shop people and more than one 611 CSR do the same as us.

TruePCs
02-27-2011, 08:52 PM
Rooting is like putting aftermarket fancy rims or a loud exhaust on a new car, technically will void the warranty, but 99% of the dealers out there could not care less, specially if it looks good and will promote their product.

cmd82
02-27-2011, 11:22 PM
Thanks, y'all. I'm not technology smart, so rooting my device has been a difficult decision. I wouldnt know where to start or what to do. What I do know, is that so far my DX is working fine and I like the set up. I have found apps that allow me to tweak it and I love them (ADW Launcher and Go SMS).

Sent from my un-rooted and amazing DX.

FA1SGL
02-27-2011, 11:37 PM
For some (myself included) cannot resist the urge to tweak. For me, there is the ability to customize the appearance and rid my screen of unwanted icons.