PDA

View Full Version : Throttling Hack - Details PLEASE!

bobthebob
02-02-2011, 03:14 PM
hey all - can someone point me to a *detailed* explanation of what the Throttle Hack does?

in what cases is it helpful?
what is the difference in the numbers before and after?
how does the hack work?
is this stable with any ROM? if not, which ones?
etc etc

been looking and can't find any details!

WugFresh
02-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Your service provider currently administers data governers over your device. What this means is that when you exceed aproximately 5GB of data usage per month, your connection speed will be throttled (reduced) without notifying you. The no throttle hack isn't really a hack at all. All they did was decompile the services.jar file which is found in your /system/framework folder, and deleted the text base entry for data throttling, then recompiled it. Data throttling can be eliminated on any ROM but you have to get the modified services.jar for your ROM. I.e, the no throttle services.jar for ApeX wont work on Liberty ROM.

Furthermore its a common misconception that once you get it your internet will suddenly be dramatically faster. If you only use a limited amount of data < 5GB per month, you would never notice a difference. Its only really is helpful if you use a lot of data.

The speed tests are widely inaccurate they dont tell you anything that has any real meaning. Just understand what the "hack" does and why it would be benefiticial.

:: Disclosure ::
Droid X forums doesn't condone or support it and it violates your TOS with Verizon. Use are your own risk.... ect.

Enough details...? ;)

{{ WugFresh }}

jloya
02-02-2011, 03:48 PM
thanks wug I was about to start typing a lengthy response lol

cynkrzy
02-02-2011, 03:50 PM
No kidding on the speed tests available on the net giving wildly varying results, Is there anything that will accurately measure 3G performance ?

WugFresh
02-02-2011, 04:04 PM
Not really... there are so many extraneous variables. Where you currently are, the orientation of the phone in relation to the nearest tower, the present weather conditions, what other apps your currently running, what widgets your currently running, hardware variance, if your testing at peak hours, how saturated the network presently is.....

{{ WugFresh }}

Snow02
02-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Use speakeasy.net/speedtest

WugFresh
02-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Or that.. lol :) thanks snow

{{ WugFresh }}

bobthebob
02-03-2011, 02:09 AM
thanks WugFresh - that's exactly what I wanted to know!

greevedogg
02-03-2011, 09:07 AM
I have been running DarkSlide4.2 since it came out. With the data throttle hack in place, I am able to watch my SlingBox HD television streams over a 3G connection without any stuttering/minimal lag...
Before the throttle hack, Slinging over a 3G connection was just plain unthinkable...the stream was sooooo choppy...I could only really enjoy it over WIFI, which is pretty shoddy where I work, anyways.

I'm absolutely sure that the data throttle hack has helped out in this dept...regardless of any speedtest.net results.

SATANS1STSOLDIER
02-03-2011, 10:07 AM
I use my droid x alot to connect xbox live and it was working.awesome better than at my friends house from a desktop.but it getting slower and now im getting alot of lagging where I wasn't before.can you help me in detail how to set my phone up with darkdlide or something.I do.t know much about.all the computer stuff if I have to restore phone to factory and down load everything again cool I just would like to be.able to have my phone working.the way I want it to every program and anything you suggest would really be alot of help I can even give.you.my.land.line.number so we can do it easier and.so I don't mess up thank you if you can't can you point me to someone.that can

SatansSoldier

pegscraper
02-03-2011, 01:57 PM
Data throttling can be eliminated on any ROM but you have to get the modified services.jar for your ROM{{ WugFresh }}

Where does one find the appropriate modified services.jar file, say for the stock ROM? I have a feeling I'm going to need this.

WugFresh
02-03-2011, 02:17 PM
Here you go.
http://db.tt/7FqKLhv
Its packaged for you in a flashable zip.

You just flash this in clockwork recovery like a theme.
[HOW TO] Be ready for anything (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/hacking-help/15140-how-ready-anything.html)

By the way... why are you running stock?

{{ WugFresh }}

pegscraper
02-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Thanks. It looks I have some reading to do to figure out how to load this. I hoped I could just ditch the factory one out of the folder and plop this one in its place.

Stock does what I need to do.

WugFresh
02-03-2011, 04:12 PM
You can use root explorer to replace it. But flashing with that is a safer method.

{{ WugFresh }}

pegscraper
02-03-2011, 04:20 PM
When I plug the DX into my computer (a MAC), I can open that file and all the folders and everything on there. My hope was to open the system-framework folder, throw out the stock service.jar file and move the new one into place. Will that work or am I really being dense to think that will work? I'm reading through your other be ready for anything stuff right now.

WugFresh
02-03-2011, 04:27 PM
That's made by droid-xer not me. And essentially that would work but you also need to set proper permissions to the file. That why I said use root explorer. It allows you to do that. But honestly its packaged as a zip for a reason. It makes it really simple.

Boot into clockwork recovery

**Use volume buttons to navigate and camera button to select

Select Install zip from sdcard
Select Choose zip from sdcard
Navigate to wherever you put the NoThrottleStock.zip I gave you
Install
Yes
Wait for it to boot up....
Be patient....

Done.

{{ WugFresh }}

WugFresh
02-03-2011, 04:28 PM
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacking-guides/13485-how-use-droid-x-bootstrap.html#post124595

{{ WugFresh }}

ShadowOxide
02-03-2011, 04:31 PM
You can check my thread as well for some of the more common ROMs. Use at your own risk though. It has a nice detailed explanation on how to lol

Sent via Droid X GJ2.5

WugFresh
02-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Do you have root explorer? If not, buy it. Alternative solution: Using root explorer navigate to
/system/framework

Press "Mount R/O" in the upper right hand corner so that now it reads "Mount R/W"

Long press services.jar

Rename it to services.jar.bak

Then paste the modified services.jar for stock:
http://db.tt/glaXqy7

In /system/framework to replace it

Then long press modified services.jar and select permissions and change it to

U: x x
G: x
O: x

Then reboot.

{{ WugFresh }}

pegscraper
02-03-2011, 04:56 PM
This sounds a whole lot easier than everything I'm wading through in the the other link. I guess I will have to download bootstrap app. I'll give it a shot later this evening. Thanks.

That's made by droid-xer not me. And essentially that would work but you also need to set proper permissions to the file. That why I said use root explorer. It allows you to do that. But honestly its packaged as a zip for a reason. It makes it really simple.

Boot into clockwork recovery

**Use volume buttons to navigate and camera button to select

Select Install zip from sdcard
Select Choose zip from sdcard
Navigate to wherever you put the NoThrottleStock.zip I gave you
Install
Yes
Wait for it to boot up....
Be patient....

Done.

{{ WugFresh }}

pegscraper
02-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Well goodness. I don't have root explorer. I can get to this file with ES file explorer on the phone. I can also open it up on the computer when it's plugged in. I'll try one of these in a little bit. Right now it's dinner time.

Do you have root explorer? If not, buy it. Alternative solution: Using root explorer navigate to
/system/framework

Press "Mount R/O" in the upper right hand corner so that now it reads "Mount R/W"

Long press services.jar

Rename it to services.jar.bak

Then paste the modified services.jar for stock:
http://db.tt/glaXqy7

In /system/framework to replace it

Then long press modified services.jar and select permissions and change it to

U: x x
G: x
O: x

Then reboot.

{{ WugFresh }}

dburgessme2
02-03-2011, 05:43 PM
I too have stock but rooted. Just using hotspot patch and adw theme. Happy with it. And should be no hassles with future ota updates. The zip here for nothrottle, do you have to be deodexed? Was searching earlier today since VZW notice today and all I found said you needed to be deodexed. Don't need to be with this zip?

Thanks!

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

WugFresh
02-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Oh whoops..... yeah!!!! Don&rsquo;t install that unless your deodexed!!!!

Flash this in clockwork recovery to deodex first.
http://db.tt/APdtAmR

Then flash the no throttle zip.

If any of you flashed that no throttle zip already without deodexing... let me know and I'll hook you up with another zip to fix it. Sorry for neglecting to provide that info earlier.

{{ WugFresh }}

pegscraper
02-03-2011, 09:27 PM
O gee, thanks. I just now tried it. I don't know if it actually installed though. The phone got stuck saying it was installing the file. It sat there for well over five minutes and I pulled the battery. So how do I tell if it loaded or not?

WugFresh
02-03-2011, 09:49 PM
Well do you want to deodex and install it afterwards? Or do you want me to make you a zip to put the normal one back. It probably didn't install but the only way to know is to decompile it and check the throttle entry.

So either I can ensure your back to square one.

Or you just go ahead and deodex and then install it.

What do you want to do?

{{ WugFresh }}

n0qcu
02-03-2011, 10:00 PM
WugFresh what version of stock are your hack & deodex zip for?
I am at 2.1 update 1

Sent from my DROIDX

WugFresh
02-03-2011, 10:10 PM
Its for the latest version of stock OTA 2.3.340

Android version 2.2.1

{{ WugFresh }}

n0qcu
02-03-2011, 10:24 PM
OK thanks guess I can't use it then.

Sent from my DROIDX

WugFresh
02-03-2011, 10:29 PM
OK thanks guess I can't use it then.

Sent from my DROIDX

Why haven't you updated?

{{ WugFresh }}

pegscraper
02-03-2011, 10:29 PM
There's another issue I didn't know about either. My phone would not receive the operating system update for some reason and I will have to manually load that too. I will have to attempt all this tomorrow.

Reason? For me, read this. I don't understand why. I just know it wouldn't work.

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-general-discussion/13628-am-i-only-one-3.html#post191127

WugFresh
02-03-2011, 10:36 PM
Have you seen:
maderstcok (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/15666-maderstcok-ota-2-3-340-update-zip.html)

{{ WugFresh }}

n0qcu
02-04-2011, 02:29 AM
Why haven't you updated?

{{ WugFresh }}
haven't wanted to

mikeinrichmond
02-04-2011, 05:07 AM
haven't wanted to

You don't have to do it OTA, if that's your concern. If you are on at least the .15 system version you can use the maderstcok.zip to get current, or if not, you can SBF to get you to it...All the new Rom's etc are being written for .320/.340 in mind so your phone won't be able to utilize these until it's updated..Besides that, Froyo really does bring speed, battery, and other performance enhancements so it is worth doing just for that IMO.

Here's a guide on SBF:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rs-guides/12015-complete-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html#post106306

The guide on the maderstcok.zip is in the link Wug posted above, or flick 3rd link in my sig..

pegscraper
02-04-2011, 08:26 AM
I saw that in the reply of the other thread I mentioned. I tried it this morning and the update aborted. I restored back to the old system for the moment. I don't know what's happening. I'll wait for a reply in the other thread.

Have you seen:
maderstcok (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/15666-maderstcok-ota-2-3-340-update-zip.html)

{{ WugFresh }}

bobthebob
02-04-2011, 12:00 PM
I did the maderstcok (finally spelled it right!) and it went off without a hitch.

after doing that and wiping and reinstalling everything works great...
it was all totally painless and now I have a fresh healthy .340 Nandroid to restore to if I ever get the urge.

WugFresh
02-04-2011, 12:19 PM
I saw that in the reply of the other thread I mentioned. I tried it this morning and the update aborted. I restored back to the old system for the moment. I don't know what's happening. I'll wait for a reply in the other thread.

If you are having difficulties with that you should take mikes advice and sbf. Then flash maderstcok. That's a guaranteed fix unless the android God's have condemned your phone. LOL!

{{ WugFresh }}

n0qcu
02-04-2011, 02:11 PM
You don't have to do it OTA, if that's your concern. If you are on at least the .15 system version you can use the maderstcok.zip to get current, or if not, you can SBF to get you to it...All the new Rom's etc are being written for .320/.340 in mind so your phone won't be able to utilize these until it's updated..Besides that, Froyo really does bring speed, battery, and other performance enhancements so it is worth doing just for that IMO.

Here's a guide on SBF:

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rs-guides/12015-complete-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html#post106306

The guide on the maderstcok.zip is in the link Wug posted above, or flick 3rd link in my sig..

I decided to try OTA but it kept failing, obviously I didn't undo everything I must have needed to.
So I did try the maderstcok and even with my system version at 1.13.6.2 and OS of 2.1 it worked perfectly, I need to post that in the maderstcok thread.
Anyway I am now upto date.

Sent from my DROIDX

pegscraper
02-04-2011, 03:36 PM
Now I'll have to go read the link Mike posted and see what I can figure out.

If you are having difficulties with that you should take mikes advice and sbf. Then flash maderstcok. That's a guaranteed fix unless the android God's have condemned your phone. LOL!

{{ WugFresh }}