PDA

View Full Version : What is next after rooting??

spmdroidx
01-30-2011, 12:42 PM
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and recently hooked on wanting the best for my DX. I am new to rooting and have a few questions.

I am currently rooted with z4root and don't know what to do next. I read somewhere that the dx is the hardest to mod but it seemed pretty simple with the dx. Is everything else as simple like installing and using custom roms, themes, etc..?

Also what are my next steps in customizing the performance, looks, and abilities of my phone. Like what programs and apps do I need to install? I want something to make sure I can recover from new roms back to 2.2.340 and get my apps back. Like a recovery and backup program?? I hear of bootstrap, titanium, rom manager, etc. There are so many!

And how can I avoid bricking my phone? Does that usually happen when people instal overclocking roms?

I need help. Thanks!!

edit: Where do I find the latest sbf's and RSD? What are they and how do I use them? I just hear everyone talk about them

Abe21599
01-30-2011, 12:54 PM
seems like u should start here :)

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/14599-droid-x-hacking-checklist.html
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacking-guides/12081-rooolers-guide-root-unroot-backup-rom-sbf-overclock.html

spmdroidx
01-30-2011, 01:14 PM

I just backed up everything. I'm slowly ready to start modding everything

Are all roms similar in the fact the way you install them? Do your links show how to instasll them and use them?

Flazell
01-30-2011, 01:23 PM
Just take your time, and do ALOT of reading before you do something, or ask people on this forum. I did, and still do, ask a lot of questions when I'm doing, or interested in a mod or hack. Everyone on this site has been great to me with all my questions. I'm really new to the rooting thing, but caught on quickly. Definitely back your DX up, in case of any problems. If your looking for a new theme I highly suggest "Liberty", it's really sweet, but there are also a bunch of other great themes out there too. Good luck!

spmdroidx
01-30-2011, 01:30 PM
I heard about liberty. It sounded cool.
What do I need to properly put in new ROM?
Also, I keep reading about RSD lite 4.9 and using sbf's.. I have them downloaded and saved so do I need to copy them to my sd card under a certain foldder? Or just keep them on my computer?
Thanks

1KDS
01-30-2011, 01:33 PM
You will use the sbf and rsd from the pc, no need for it on the sd card. There are ROM instructions in the bootstrap how to in my signature and in the liberty ROM thread

spmdroidx
01-30-2011, 01:43 PM
So using there methods are easy to install new rom? And when I installed titanium(free version) it sayed I couldn't backup my apps yet. That I needed some other apps
I will read these and come back with any questions
Thanks!

1KDS
01-30-2011, 01:45 PM
Yeo, RoOoLeR's guide and the bootstrap guides have the basics, the ROM release thread will have any specifics for that ROM

spmdroidx
01-30-2011, 01:59 PM
All right I think I am catching on how to use bootstrapper. So in the boot strapper menu thing, is that where I also restore my phone to the og android OS?

And when I change my roms. How do you keep apps you've downloaded in market?

1KDS
01-30-2011, 03:50 PM
Yes, bootstrap allows you to restore a stock backup. You can use titanium backup to save apps with data when you flash a new rom
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rs-video-guides/16792-video-idiots-guide-rooting-roming-backups-things.html

keepcomposure
01-30-2011, 03:53 PM
I recommend debiandogs video "idiots guide to backup, rooting, recovery". On my phone and do not have a copy of the think to the thread of someone would post here.

Sent from the Androidmeda galaxy via Droid X.

1KDS
01-30-2011, 03:54 PM
I posted it just before your post ;)

keepcomposure
01-30-2011, 03:58 PM
You ninja, you.

1KDS
01-30-2011, 04:01 PM
Haha, I try

keepcomposure
01-30-2011, 04:07 PM
:D

spmdroidx
01-30-2011, 08:25 PM
Okay everyone. I got liberty! Now I need to know how to get my apps back without pushing an install button for every backed up app? And will 2.2.1 apps hurt my phone since I have liberty now? For example the phone 2.2.2. And how do you hey social network stuff back?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

1KDS
01-30-2011, 08:38 PM
All the 2.2.1 apps are fine, if you are using titanium you hit menu>batch>restore user apps with data.

spmdroidx
01-30-2011, 08:42 PM
Thanks!

spmdroidx
01-30-2011, 09:07 PM
Is there a way to get h my social network apps back? Cause before face book linked all my contacts together

mikeinrichmond
01-30-2011, 09:12 PM
Social Networking requires blur. You can add back some blur through the Liberty toolbox, but that is not one of them.

spmdroidx
01-30-2011, 09:28 PM
Social Networking requires blur. You can add back some blur through the Liberty toolbox, but that is not one of them.

So there is no way to link Mobile phone numbers from favebook?

Droid-Xer
01-30-2011, 11:40 PM
It would have been good to export your contacts to your sd and then import after the ROM install. To sync contacts grab the FB app from the market and when you set it up, you can sync contacts. You can go online to your VZW account and export the contacts from your backup asst.

spmdroidx
01-31-2011, 07:32 PM
Thanks so much

Droid-Xer
01-31-2011, 08:09 PM
Sure thing.