PDA

View Full Version : And the nominees are.......

dkst0426
01-28-2011, 01:44 PM
Academy Award nominations announced (http://theenvelope.latimes.com/la-et-oscars-main-20110126,0,7720242.story)

Complete list (http://theenvelope.latimes.com/awards/oscars/la-et-oscar-scorecard-2011-html,0,2220401.htmlstory)

Gonna have to do some serious movie-watching in the next few weeks before I make my picks.

I've seen Inception, Social Network, and True Grit (not as good as the original IMO, but definitely got the Coen Brothers touch). I want to see 127 Hours, The Fighter, and King's Speech for sure. Not a fan of animated movies, so Toy Story's not for me. It won't win anyway - personally, I think the only reason it was included is because of the expansion to 10 nominees. Based on my wife's review of it, I'll say it's going to pick up the Best Animated Feature award.

I'm very disappointed that Ben Affleck did not receive a nomination for either directing or screenplay for The Town. Totally deserved one for that.

Inception had better pick up one or all of the editing, cinematography, and visual effects awards.

I'm pretty sold on the score for The Social Network (and it still blows my mind that it's Nine Inch Nails who won the Golden Globe), as it set a very good tone for the movie.

chucklehead
01-29-2011, 12:27 AM
I've seen Inception, The Fighter, The Social Network, True Grit, Toy Story 3 and 127 Hours. Honestly, I believe Inception was truly the best picture but I doubt it will win. The King's Speech is supposed to be fantastic so my guess is it'll be a toss up between it and The Fighter.

Trent Reznor's score is awesome and deserves to win!! Go NIN!!

dkst0426
01-29-2011, 12:40 AM
If not for The Matrix, I'd give Inception the nod for Best Picture by miles, but unfortunately for it, the whole alternate-reality, subconscious-affecting-the-real-world-surroundings meme isn't a new concept. Still doesn't take away from what was a very very good movie in my opinion. I guess I'll reserve judgment on Best Picture until I finish watching The Fighter and King's Speech. Really wish I had the time to go on a movie-watching binge, especially since I can get in free at the local cineplex.