PDA

View Full Version : Verizon Shell/Holster Combo Case

B360155
07-25-2010, 11:54 AM
If you can find one of these cases, I highly recommend it. I'm very pleased with it as described in the review I wrote under this link.

Verizon Shell / Holster Combo for Motorola Droid X - Droid Holsters - Droid Forums Store (http://store.droidforums.net/verizon-shell--holster-combo/4A24A7318.htm)

http://assets1.smartphoneexperts.com/store_images/product_images/accessories/large/7318.jpg

Garemlin
07-25-2010, 02:05 PM
I have it but really don't like the fact it leaves the top and bottom completely exposed. It'll do for now. Wish they made it like the previous version for the Eris, Droid and Inc.

TurtleDroid
07-29-2010, 09:10 AM
Is there anywhere else to get this from?

B360155
07-30-2010, 06:41 AM
I just got mine from my local Verizon retail company store. Apparently it's pretty popular as I got the last one in stock at this particular store.

FunkUSMCRet
07-30-2010, 08:31 AM
I actually like this holster, case... easy to get the phone out, and it protects it well too. First time I think I have bought a case/holster direct from the store and didn't have to go online to find something more suitable. Now, if I can find one that has a Steelers or Marine Corps theme to it... I may change. :)

Jinxt
07-30-2010, 09:01 AM
I also pulled the trigger on this one last week. I almost didn't buy it because I was also planning on eventually getting the moto car mount and didn't want to fiddle with taking the phone out of the shell every time I got in and out of the car, but then someone else on the forum shared a link to a $5 vent mount on Amazon. I'm glad I got this holster, it's solid, it protects the screen VERY well while being holstered, the build quality holds my confidence and nothing about it gets in the way. I had a Zagg shield on the screen but I wasn't as impressed with the picture quality of the screen because the "invisible shield" picked up a lot of unwanted glare. After getting this case/holster I felt confident enough to take the screen protector off and have been happily going about my business since.

Highly recommended holster if you are also in the market for a protective shell and won't be purchasing the DroidX specific car mount (or using it sparingly enough that taking the shell off won't annoy the crap out of you when you want to use it).

Mr. Chumley
07-30-2010, 10:13 AM
I is the case plastic or rubber? I looked at a plastic holster kind of like this yesterday at the VW store but the holster had a releAse mechanism instead of sliding out and it wouldn't fit with the silicon case I am using.

This one looks promising.

bozidar0
07-30-2010, 10:16 AM
I think its plastic. My only problem with this whole set up, is nothing covers the open ports on the phone!

B360155
07-30-2010, 01:41 PM
I also pulled the trigger on this one last week. I almost didn't buy it because I was also planning on eventually getting the moto car mount and didn't want to fiddle with taking the phone out of the shell every time I got in and out of the car, but then someone else on the forum shared a link to a $5 vent mount on Amazon. I'm glad I got this holster, it's solid, it protects the screen VERY well while being holstered, the build quality holds my confidence and nothing about it gets in the way. I had a Zagg shield on the screen but I wasn't as impressed with the picture quality of the screen because the "invisible shield" picked up a lot of unwanted glare. After getting this case/holster I felt confident enough to take the screen protector off and have been happily going about my business since.

Highly recommended holster if you are also in the market for a protective shell and won't be purchasing the DroidX specific car mount (or using it sparingly enough that taking the shell off won't annoy the crap out of you when you want to use it).
Lots of posts on screen protectors. I put the Steinheil Ultra Crystal on mine and am very pleased with it. It goes on easy and its almost like it's not there.

Jinxt
07-30-2010, 03:26 PM
Good to know. There are a few things I didn't like about the Zagg...
1) It was a pain to put on and I really hate that you have to use liquid to apply it.
2) The clarity of my screen diminished after it was applied and it picked up a lot more glare than the bare screen. Seems as though it would be one or the other but in this special case both happened.
3) With the recent heat and constant high-humidity where I live the protector took on an uncomfortable "tackiness" when used outdoors that I really couldn't stand.
4) The slightest bit of dampness on my fingers (say from typical, average skin moisture) would cause an annoying drag when using SWYPE and I would always have to clean off the screen after texting or browsing the web.

If the Steinheil will not produce the same issues I'm game. It costs almost half of what I paid for the Zagg and I've already lost that money anyway.

bozidar0
07-30-2010, 06:02 PM
Mine still has some tackiness, and drag. Maybe it takes a week or so to go away, with the lack of tapping, because we use swype?

B360155
07-31-2010, 06:45 AM
Any tackiness on mine went away after a couple of days. I'm in north Texas though and not real humid here. I do use Swype as well and have no issues doing that with the Steinheil Ultra Crystal.

andy cap
07-31-2010, 05:35 PM
I got this as well. It feels like plastic with a silicone coating.

It is a bit of a chore getting to get the Droid from the carrier. Although the girl at the Verizon store told me the phone with the protector on it would fit in the car mount, it doesn't - At least not without using a knife to trim the car mount a bit.

That said, it seems to be a good protective carrier, and I like the grip I get with it.

OKIE55
08-10-2010, 04:23 PM
I just got this case today, returned the silicone one I got.

I like it since it protects the screen, the feel is good as well.

TTPaws
08-23-2010, 08:15 PM
I is the case plastic or rubber? I looked at a plastic holster kind of like this yesterday at the VW store but the holster had a releAse mechanism instead of sliding out and it wouldn't fit with the silicon case I am using.

I purchased this late last week an am extremely happy with it. The backshell is a hard plastic, but since I already had one of the jell silicone ones I haven't used it. With the silicone cover it fits snugly in the clips. One thing, you can't remove the phone from the slider if it is plugged in charging. (don't ask... :^) )

drone46
08-28-2010, 08:54 PM
I have this case too and like it. As noted before, it is popular and sells out in the Verizon stores fast. It gets easier to take the shell and phone out of the holster after a little use. The clip quality is a little suspect for me, but no issues yet and even if the clip did fail the rest of the case would protect the phone from any damage.

Does anybody know if the phone with this shell on it will fit into the home multimedia dock without removing the shell?

IMDROID
09-08-2010, 01:39 PM
I have this case too and like it. As noted before, it is popular and sells out in the Verizon stores fast. It gets easier to take the shell and phone out of the holster after a little use. The clip quality is a little suspect for me, but no issues yet and even if the clip did fail the rest of the case would protect the phone from any damage.

Does anybody know if the phone with this shell on it will fit into the home multimedia dock without removing the shell?

No, it doesn't. I just received the shell / holster combo and the MM dock. The length is ok, but the ports on the dock don't line up. For me though that is okay since this shell is really easy to put on / take off. I'm using the dock on my nightstand, also plugged into my HDTV, so this setup works perfectly for me. I was also shocked to see it came with it's own AC adapter and HDMI cable!

Carpetman
09-11-2010, 10:21 AM
I bought and used this case and loved the fact that it is durable. I have dropped my phone several times and the case has protected it totally. BUT when exiting you car the holster has a tendency to snap off the clip. Now the clip has broken off the holster.

TTPaws
09-11-2010, 12:16 PM

As IMDROID said, it doesn't fit in the either the car or multimedia stands. For the car I ended getting the arkon megagrip (reviewed in another thread) with a magnet glued on. Not sure what I am going to use as a MM dock. I don't spend a lot of time at my desk and I'd rather just keep it with me.

panchonb
09-11-2010, 01:06 PM
I have it but really don't like the fact it leaves the top and bottom completely exposed. It'll do for now. Wish they made it like the previous version for the Eris, Droid and Inc.

I totally agree. The quality of this is good, but I didn't like that it doesn't completely surround the top and bottom of the phone. I also found that the X is too big for on my belt. Instead I went with a Seidio Surface and keep the X in my pocket (screen towards leg).

bsqxdroid
09-11-2010, 01:36 PM
I'm satisfied with this case, but as previously said it leaves the top and bottom unprotected. I'm a holster or pouch type person, so i need something on my hip not my pocket.....any suggestions?

hatemyEXlovemyX
09-11-2010, 01:40 PM
Mm.
My DX slipped out of my pocket onto concrete (shell and holster on) = PASS
Dropped it twice on tile (just shell) = PASS

I could only imagine what if it was to fall on rocks because it always seems to fall face down; even with the holster on.

So I can conclude that the case works on flat surfaces only.

mudads
09-11-2010, 10:14 PM
I just got this case/holster myself. I bought it mainly because I wanted a one piece snap on case for my X and it's the only one I could find. I like it a lot. I have a question though. Does anyone know how the clip comes off? I would like to use the holster part, but without the clip and then be able to put the case and holster into my pocket. I carry my phone in my front pocket and will never use the clip part.

hatemyEXlovemyX
09-12-2010, 06:12 AM
It doesn't detach, unfornuantly, it only spins. If/when I put it in my pocket I just clip it to my pocket so that it is not too bulky

eric eakin
09-12-2010, 08:14 AM
It doesn't detach, unfornuantly, it only spins. If/when I put it in my pocket I just clip it to my pocket so that it is not too bulky

i tried clipping it in my pocket, stuck out way too far!!!

only thing i use the holster for is to clip my phone to my visor face out so i can use the navigation on the go!

hatemyEXlovemyX
09-12-2010, 08:56 AM
Ah yea I can see that being the case. Verizon needs to come out with a sleeve like the BB I suppose.

This Seidio Case may spark your interest. It seems slimmer than Verizons. Check if there is a review on Youtube.com

Carpetman
09-12-2010, 09:25 AM
I just got this case/holster myself. I bought it mainly because I wanted a one piece snap on case for my X and it's the only one I could find. I like it a lot. I have a question though. Does anyone know how the clip comes off? I would like to use the holster part, but without the clip and then be able to put the case and holster into my pocket. I carry my phone in my front pocket and will never use the clip part.
Wish I had yours and you had mine. My clip is gone. Just wear it on your left side and exityour car a few times and it will snap off.lol

redwinger2001
09-12-2010, 10:40 AM
I have this case also and I love it. I would like a different case instead of just black that would still fire inside the holster. Anyone know of one?

hatemyEXlovemyX
09-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Yea nevermind about the Seidio post. Watched a review on Youtube.com & that thing is much bigger than the Verizon case!

Carpetman
09-13-2010, 04:38 PM
The clip broke off on mine from wearing it on my left side on my belt and I took it to my wonderful Verizon store and they replaced it without a word. Now I'll try wearing it on my right side and maybe it won't be put under so much pressure there.

hatemyEXlovemyX
09-15-2010, 12:45 PM
I have found a solution for everyone who is concerned about the shell leaving the top and bottom of the phone exposed!!

Are you ready for this?

Best Buy sells a polycarbonate, soft touch, 2piece snap-on, form fitting case by Rocketfish for $24.99 in colors black &red. This case slides right into your existing holster just as the original shell would!!

alemane213
09-16-2010, 01:11 AM
I have found a solution for everyone who is concerned about the shell leaving the top and bottom of the phone exposed!!

Are you ready for this?

Best Buy sells a polycarbonate, soft touch, 2piece snap-on, form fitting case by Rocketfish for $24.99 in colors black &red. This case slides right into your existing holster just as the original shell would!!

Really?
Does it work flawless? Or do you have to force it? Pictures?

hatemyEXlovemyX
09-19-2010, 12:05 AM
Really?
Does it work flawless? Or do you have to force it? Pictures?

Yup!! The Rocketfish case works exactly how the oringinal shell slides and "clicks" into the holster.

100% guaranteed!!! -Or I will met the neighborhood kids shoot me with silly string!! =])