PDA

View Full Version : Best Quality WIRED OVER EAR Headphones?

Dominick_7
01-27-2011, 05:36 AM
Hi I've seen a few headphone/headset posts but they usually have mostly headsets and headphones that are bluetooth. I'd get a bluetooth one like I've had before but I find it makes my ears really warm and that's kind of unsettling. Also I don't potentially want a Bluetooth tumor after the media/news does a "btw" down the road that warns against using them after everyone has for many years, lol so hence my question. Anything durable is a plus, but definitely over the ears, not in ears, and not huge DJ headphones if possible. I'm thinking great quality over the ears headphones with a mic for calls as well. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

RolandDeschain
02-09-2011, 06:40 PM
I recently purchased the Bose MIE2 ear buds. They have a thingie on them that keeps them from falling out even when flat-out running, and the sound quality is very, very good. Bass is actually a little heavy for my tastes, but I like less bass than most people, so I doubt it's an issue for most. I use PowerAMP for my music, which has a 10-band equalizer I use to lower the bass a bit with.

Bose MIE2 Mobile Headset - Bose MIE2i Mobile Headset - Bose Headsets and Headphones (http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/headphones/mobile_solutions/in_ear_mobile_solution/index.jsp)

There's a link to them. Make sure you don't get the MIE2i ones, as they're the iPod ones that will NOT work properly with any non-Crapple device. The microphone is EXCELLENT quality, according to those I've asked while using it. They seem pretty durable, and I had no problems using the microphone button on them to pause (one click) go to next track (two clicks) or go to previous track. (three clicks) That's what most music apps do with the clicks, anyways. It also works for answering a call when one comes in, and it's long press (I think) to hang up. If no music app is open, or active in the background, then it opens voice commands by default, which is kind of cool. They're not cheap, though; $130.

The only other option I would consider is this: ZAGG | ZAGGsmartbuds | iPhone Earbuds, In-ear Headphones, Earphones (http://www.zagg.com/audio/smart-buds.php)

Those have music controls buttons that apparently work quite well on Android, unlike 99% of all other wired headphones/ear buds that have volume/track controls.

Dominick_7
02-10-2011, 12:54 AM
I recently purchased the Bose MIE2 ear buds. They have a thingie on them that keeps them from falling out even when flat-out running, and the sound quality is very, very good. Bass is actually a little heavy for my tastes, but I like less bass than most people, so I doubt it's an issue for most. I use PowerAMP for my music, which has a 10-band equalizer I use to lower the bass a bit with.

Bose MIE2 Mobile Headset - Bose MIE2i Mobile Headset - Bose Headsets and Headphones (http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/headphones/mobile_solutions/in_ear_mobile_solution/index.jsp)

There's a link to them. Make sure you don't get the MIE2i ones, as they're the iPod ones that will NOT work properly with any non-Crapple device. The microphone is EXCELLENT quality, according to those I've asked while using it. They seem pretty durable, and I had no problems using the microphone button on them to pause (one click) go to next track (two clicks) or go to previous track. (three clicks) That's what most music apps do with the clicks, anyways. It also works for answering a call when one comes in, and it's long press (I think) to hang up. If no music app is open, or active in the background, then it opens voice commands by default, which is kind of cool. They're not cheap, though; $130.

The only other option I would consider is this: ZAGG | ZAGGsmartbuds | iPhone Earbuds, In-ear Headphones, Earphones (http://www.zagg.com/audio/smart-buds.php)

Those have music controls buttons that apparently work quite well on Android, unlike 99% of all other wired headphones/ear buds that have volume/track controls.

Thanks for the reply but like i was saying I'm looking for NON IN EAR headphones, that go over the ears, like regular headphones. I wear ear plugs at night at times and can't wear in ear headphones with them.

HellHound
02-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Hi I've seen a few headphone/headset posts but they usually have mostly headsets and headphones that are bluetooth. I'd get a bluetooth one like I've had before but I find it makes my ears really warm and that's kind of unsettling. Also I don't potentially want a Bluetooth tumor after the media/news does a "btw" down the road that warns against using them after everyone has for many years, lol so hence my question. Anything durable is a plus, but definitely over the ears, not in ears, and not huge DJ headphones if possible. I'm thinking great quality over the ears headphones with a mic for calls as well. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks. It depends on how much you want to spend. I went with sennheiser about two years ago and I WILL NEVER buy a different brand ever. They whoop bose and are not nearly as expensive.

kejar31
02-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Yes, I am a head-fi and this really comes down to how much cash you want to spend! What is your price point? Closed or open?

There are a lot of great headphones out there Sennheiser is ok when you get in the 300+ range anything below is average at best..

Some great brands to look at are Grado, Denon, AKG etc....

IMHO the best starter set of open headphone on can but are Grado SR60i's (Review (http://www.stereophile.com/headphones/grado_sr60i_headphones/index.html))

For some great help on the subject you should check out head-fi.org!!!

HellHound
02-10-2011, 04:37 PM
There are a lot of great headphones out there Sennheiser is ok when you get in the 300+ range anything below is average at best..

Which have you heard? I heard things from their 50$ to 750$ pair and they are all top notch. I have a pair of their HD 280s right now (about 90$) and a small mini amp for headphones and they beat out a 400$ pair of bose, and those Grados you linked above... I actually took the Grados back, went for the upgraded SRs and took those back (I believe I spent about 175 on them) and got these Sannheisers and I will never go with another headphone company again. I Have heard Grados, Denons, Skull Candys, Bose, AKG, Beyer, Stax, the Beats, Koss... mind you - I do dj on occasion, I do like my music loud and I do listen to all types of music. I have listened to more brands I just cant think of now.

BUT in order to accurately describe what headphones may be best for you we need to know what kind of music you listen to.

RolandDeschain
02-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the reply but like i was saying I'm looking for NON IN EAR headphones, that go over the ears, like regular headphones. I wear ear plugs at night at times and can't wear in ear headphones with them.

I guess I misunderstood you, I thought you simply meant not in the ear canal, which the Bose ones aren't. If you want true headphones that go over the entire outer ear, get something like these: Amazon.com: Sennheiser HD 598 Audiophile Headphones with High Gloss Burl Wood Accents: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-Audiophile-Headphones/dp/B0042A8CW2/ref=dp_ob_title_ce)

I have the prior model of those, Sennheiser HD595's, and I bought them four years ago; they're amazing. However, they have an open ear design on the outside so a lot of sound leaks out; no problem for you, it's intentional for sound quality and no reverberation, but other people can easily hear what you're listening to. Bad for say, an airplane or train. Either way, buy Sennheiser...the best.

HellHound
02-10-2011, 07:35 PM
I guess I misunderstood you, I thought you simply meant not in the ear canal, which the Bose ones aren't. If you want true headphones that go over the entire outer ear, get something like these: Amazon.com: Sennheiser HD 598 Audiophile Headphones with High Gloss Burl Wood Accents: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-Audiophile-Headphones/dp/B0042A8CW2/ref=dp_ob_title_ce)

I have the prior model of those, Sennheiser HD595's, and I bought them four years ago; they're amazing. However, they have an open ear design on the outside so a lot of sound leaks out; no problem for you, it's intentional for sound quality and no reverberation, but other people can easily hear what you're listening to. Bad for say, an airplane or train. Either way, buy Sennheiser...the best.:excited:YES!!:excited:

Except I am a big fan of closed ear. I think they sound better imo. But Sennheiser is the best hands down

kejar31
02-10-2011, 08:58 PM
Which have you heard? I heard things from their 50$ to 750$ pair and they are all top notch. I have a pair of their HD 280s right now (about 90$) and a small mini amp for headphones and they beat out a 400$ pair of bose, and those Grados you linked above... I actually took the Grados back, went for the upgraded SRs and took those back (I believe I spent about 175 on them) and got these Sannheisers and I will never go with another headphone company again. I Have heard Grados, Denons, Skull Candys, Bose, AKG, Beyer, Stax, the Beats, Koss... mind you - I do dj on occasion, I do like my music loud and I do listen to all types of music. I have listened to more brands I just cant think of now.

BUT in order to accurately describe what headphones may be best for you we need to know what kind of music you listen to.

IDK just about everything in their lineup other than the HD800's I owned (not just heard) a pair of HD280's, HD595, HD580, HD600 and HD650's

I have also owned Grado's SR60's SR80's, SR325's (goldies) and RS2's..... Byer DT880's... Denon AH-D5000's (with lambskin ear pads and modded by me)... AKG 501's and Sextetts

As far as hearing I have heard just about them all at the few Headphone shows I have been too.

I have also owned a couple of headphone apps but I guess you get the point now

BTW I used to be a regular over at head-fi and used the handle kejar31 (http://www.head-fi.org/user/kejar31)

Anyways I still think the SR60's are great starter headphone's

SoundQcar
02-10-2011, 09:32 PM
I currently own Sennheiser HD800's, HD600's, Denon D5000 modded. I tend to like the open cans as opposed to closed because my preferences lie with a nice open soundstage, as much depth of image as the recording and headphones will allow, and a nice accurate, quick mid-bass.....all of which are somewhat compromised with most closed designs. The only closed headphone I have truly heard and loved, but sadly have not owned, is the Sony R10.

By the way Kejar....fellow Head-Fi member here. (cAsE sEnSiTiVe)

Small world. ;)