PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting a nook

bratliff
01-24-2011, 10:11 PM
So I recently lost my 9 yr old desktop(dead really). We have a laptop and I use my x for surfing but would like something a bit bigger..soo I thought that might be a cheap tablet.soo has anyone else researched or jumped in?

I have been browsing the android tablets forum.but obviously that is a bit biased and this is my android home..

royolpunk
01-24-2011, 10:22 PM
A nook is really an ereader, not a tablet for playing games and such. If you're looking to get a good tablet I suggest you wait out on the motorola xoom, it comes with honeycomb 3.0, the latest version of android and also is the most powerful tablet to date. Its going to cost you around$700-800, but pricing on the tablet hasn't been confirmed as of yet, nor.a release date.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

Koopa Troopa
01-24-2011, 10:25 PM
Get a nook!! If you you root is it its EXACTLY like a tablet. And its WAY. cheaper.

cynkrzy
01-24-2011, 10:31 PM
I was doing the eReader shopping thing before Christmas and was so torn between the nook and the kindle. When I finally got to play with the Nook, I was so disappointed. It's Slow, Clunky and in my opinion just not ready for primetime. I got the Kindle and it's the perfect eReader. Gonna wait for the next gen tablets to show up in the next couple of months. Really intrigued by the Xoom, but there are likely gonna be 3,4 or more really good WiFi only tablets, don't need 3G and the contract, cuz I have a rooted, rom'd, unlimited Droid!

I think there are a couple of tablets in the Nook price range you could get right now that would be a better deal.

Koopa Troopa
01-24-2011, 10:40 PM
Weird... my girlfriend got a nook and it works great.

cynkrzy
01-24-2011, 10:46 PM
The one on display at B&N was slow, page turns were really slow and clunky, browsing on it's browser was kinda like my old satellite (the phone kicks it so bad I pulled the plug on it) and I thought it was on the stores WiFi ... hmm, that was my experience and sent me home to order the kindle. But I was looking at an eReader first and foremost, a tablet was just gonna be a kinda bonus. I'm guessing by now they've been rooted ?

C Dippa
01-24-2011, 10:53 PM
I assume you're talking about the Nook Color...which is awesome btw!! It's $249 and I swear it'll compete with the current tablets out there, once you hack it. It's still raw, so if you don't enjoy hacking and want a flawless experience out of the box, spring for a tablet...

I bought one a couple of weeks ago and I'm loving hacking this thing...already OC'ed to 1ghz and am about to try an experimental froyo build. Nookdevs.com has everything you need to hack the nook into an android tablet, and there's a nook color development forum on XDA.

Here's a youtube video of a rooted Nook Color vs the Galaxy tab:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwp9IqhBTNs

It performs quite well against the galaxy tab, at less than half the price. It has handled everything I've thrown at it, and I can't wait to see what the devs come up with in the future...

Koopa Troopa
01-25-2011, 12:31 AM
Exactly what he said.

bratliff
01-25-2011, 05:39 AM
yes I am talking a nook color.. I won't be paying the price for a xoom I personally would just get a laptop..but for 250$ there is nothing out in this price range. I plan to go check them out in person next weekend. I have read about rooting that seems straight forward enough.. Honestly if it weren't cheaper than a laptop I would not even consider a tablet..
Thanks for the responses

gwu4751
02-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Did you try the color nook? My wife loves it and way cheaper than a tablet or Ipad.

bratliff
02-10-2011, 05:42 AM
I did get one. I had to order a microsd card for it soo no rooting yet. But I really do like it..the additional size helps with reading and I have tethered it and it works very well. hopefully this weekend I will be trying out honeycomb.

dooco
02-10-2011, 06:21 AM
I just ordered my wife a nook. From what I hear the nook color would be the way to go of you are into ebooks. Reason bring after you root it u can FL the kindle app and then u can have bn books and Amazon books. I bought her the non color since her needs are so small

armyjeffries
03-02-2011, 10:33 AM
I popped for the Nook Color yesterday on Ebay with the ebay $50 off coupon leaving it at $200. I ordered a 16gb microSD card to go along with it. Cant wait for it to get here. Does anyone here have recommendations for modding it? I have registered and started posting/reading at androidtablets.net. I have checked out XDA a little bit. I havent quite found a home for the nook like I found here for the X.

Any suggestions? I may hit nookdevs next. I think I will like a place that is more dedicated to the Nook as opposed to all tablets.