PDA

View Full Version : Droid X Bootloader

psychotic_penguin
01-19-2011, 10:15 PM
Seems Moto has decided that we do matter:

Looks like whomever was running Motorola's YouTube page today might have gone a wee bit rogue. To recap, a comment on a video of the Atrix 4G was greeted with a tongue so sharp we had to make sure it wasn't ours. "If you want to do custom roms, then buy elsewhere, we'll continue with our strategy that is working thanks." Whoops.

The comment was deleted not too long after we first reported it. But the fallout continued, with Motorola issuing an apology on Facebook, and saying there may be a compromise for those who wish to do a little hacking:

We apologize for the feedback we provided regarding our bootloader policy. The response does not reflect the views of Motorola.

We are working closely with our partners to offer a bootloader solution that will enable developers to use our devices as a development platform while still protecting our users' interests. More detailed information will follow as we get closer to availability.

There also was this response to a followup on the YouTube page:

So we attempt to answer nearly all comments raised on this channel across over 130 videos and in a timely fashion. Sometimes we make a mistake, and the remark we agree could have been better phrased and more polite. So we do apologise, and that we will continue to monitor feedback on the wider discussion and pass that along. Thank you.

Mistakes certainly do happen, and we certainly understand the ... patience ... required when working in public. We'd cut Moto a little slack here -- but we'll also keep an eye out for any more shenanigans.

bratliff
01-19-2011, 10:18 PM
I wont be holding my breath, but hopefuly they come to some sort of option..

royolpunk
01-19-2011, 10:37 PM
Finally.

cruckus
01-19-2011, 11:09 PM
Buy our products please!!! We'll take out the efuse...did we mention the new fblock combobulator?

hlaalu
01-20-2011, 12:59 AM
The guy who said that probably just got a slap on the wrist. My money is still on a a hack or a work-around for the bootloader before moto unlocks it for us.

cruckus
01-20-2011, 08:56 AM
You gotta realise that having sold so many Droid x's they know they can get away with locking a phone down

Snow02
01-20-2011, 09:06 AM
Really, it's not in Motorola's best interest to make the phone impossible to crack, just hard enough to dissuade casual users. I really think they probably expected it to be cracked by now.

The key to the security is TI's proprietary protection hardware, which won't be on Moto's upcoming handsets since they'll be using Tegra 2 SOC's (at least on the high end). Nvidia does not have near the experience in this market that TI does. My guess is upcoming handsets will be much more crackable because of this. Moto is only obligated to provide some sort of security, and as long as the carriers feel like there was a good faith effort there won't be any issue.

hlaalu
01-20-2011, 08:26 PM
Really, it's not in Motorola's best interest to make the phone impossible to crack, just hard enough to dissuade casual users.

I agree with you here. I would bet out of the total people who buy androids from moto, maybe 5% root and want custom kernals.

stabbedintheface
01-21-2011, 06:41 PM
From a business perspective....just make it so people have to pay a small fee to get the Dev phone. Extra income for them, and people get what they want.

They could handle warrenty issues by either saying that there is none at all..or hardware only...or being really nice and saying they will only support the device if it is currently running stock software.

hlaalu
01-21-2011, 09:29 PM
From a business perspective....just make it so people have to pay a small fee to get the Dev phone. Extra income for them, and people get what they want.

They could handle warrenty issues by either saying that there is none at all..or hardware only...or being really nice and saying they will only support the device if it is currently running stock software.

Come on, that would make too much sense and be too easy! Honestly great idea. I think the major issue why they don't want phones being rooted is because of the stuff people do like the 3g hack. And they probably wouldn't be able to get top dollar from blockbuster and EA games or the other companies that pay to have their apps pre-installed and not able to be un-installed from the phone lol.

1KDS
01-21-2011, 09:46 PM
The 3G hack is a lot newer than moto trying to prevent root/customization, the reason moto doesn't like it is because they don't like $600 warranty returned bootlooping "bricks". I think post #9 is a great idea. Normal phone gets 1 year warranty, root phone gets only warranty for workmanship (faulty buttons, battery, anything not software related)

Ultra Droid
01-23-2011, 03:58 PM
Buy our products please!!! We'll take out the efuse...did we mention the new fblock combobulator?

You know, if Motorola *was* willing to remove the efuse (for a price, of course) then you have the scenario that Motorola is running an extortion racket - "Pay us the money, or we'll break your PHONE!"...

-Mike

el_ote
01-24-2011, 11:51 PM
You know, if Motorola *was* willing to remove the efuse (for a price, of course) then you have the scenario that Motorola is running an extortion racket - "Pay us the money, or we'll break your PHONE!"...

-Mike

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

Kinda like the ps3 or wii hack breaks

Kithro
01-25-2011, 01:02 AM
The Droids are still a lot easier to work with than the Iphones. Not many companies want their stuff messed with though, just to be honest. Its just in the best interest of the company. The large majority of people are happy with stock, even stock has more options than the Iphone. Bloatware is there because they make money off of it. No matter how they try to lock it down, it will always just be a matter of time till people find work arounds. These companies have to realize this by now.

greevedogg
01-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Guys,

Check this out! Right now, as I'm typing this, Motorolla Annual Global Sales Meeting is having their convention at the hotel that I work at here in Orlando! No sh!+....

I'm off the next two days, but last night, about 250 of those guys checked in...I'm at the bellstand, and I hit up almost every one of them that walked by me!

"Hey guys, welcome to the hotel! You need directions to your room? Help with your luggage? You here with Motorolla, huh? I have a Droid X, too! It's awesome! ...But could you do something about the locked bootloader?"

Pretty much, I just got laughed at...oh well, guys, I tried!

....turns out, it's really not Motorolla Mobility, it's more of Moto's home entertainment stuff...like cable boxes and set-top boxes and stuff...but hey, it was worth a shot!

bratliff
01-25-2011, 11:37 AM
+1 for trying ..

WugFresh
01-25-2011, 11:40 AM
+1 lol, that's awesome man.

{{ WugFresh }}

cruckus
01-25-2011, 11:55 AM
Haha that's tight now that they know who you are and where you work don't be surprised if you get the only update for gingerbread haha

WugFresh
01-25-2011, 12:08 PM
Hackers Unite! We're busting into the next moto convention.. LOL!

{{ WugFresh }}

greevedogg
01-25-2011, 12:16 PM
I was waiting for a guy to stop by and say, "I'm having trouble getting into my room."

And then my reply would be: "I'll unlock your room....IF....you unlock my bootloader!"

Man, I was really hoping to be THE GUY....LOL

Snow02
01-25-2011, 12:21 PM
If they were motorola mobility, I would recommend giving the maid service a hand, flash drive in tow...

xchrissypoox
01-25-2011, 03:04 PM
If they were motorola mobility, I would recommend giving the maid service a hand, flash drive in tow...
Corporate espionage, that's not illegal..

Snow02
01-25-2011, 03:12 PM
That's not espionage. Theft maybe.

anonymous-x
01-30-2011, 09:26 AM
If they want to keep my business make the DX2 have dual core w/4G just for starters.

TheFandroid
02-23-2011, 01:59 PM
Even if they keep the locks in place, there will always be people (us) who will find, or attempt to find, a way around them.

TheFandroid
02-23-2011, 01:59 PM
Corporate espionage, that's not illegal..

It should be!

tunedin
03-15-2011, 05:11 AM
I worked for privately owned Motorola radio dealer/service centers and I would go to Motorola in Schaumberg, Il. For technical training. I also worked with their engineers and Field Technical Reps.

I guarantee there are technical types walking around with some type of rooted Droids they use for "Reasearch". The technical folks are more like us than they are their managers. The management side is disconnected from real people and the real world. They are mostly concerned with keeping their job, being in absolute control and feeding their egos. Money is the root of decisions and they are made by Corp. And Division Management. The technical people is what makes Motorola, but they have to fight the same types of BS we do with Corporate types. Same old story non-technical Corporate cronies digging out every buck they can plunder. I wouldn't be suprised if some Motorola techs are members of this forum and enjoying a secret life aside from Motorola. Maybe we should put a sign on the front door of DroidX forum "Motorolans welcome". Be sure to reboot on exit!

Sent from my DROIDX

fc127
03-15-2011, 06:14 AM
It should be!

I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm...

Sent from my Focused DX

tunedin
03-15-2011, 08:53 PM
Yes, that was sarcasm. I apologize if it seemed any other was intended. I have been told before my sense of humor is "different". Just trying to frame structure and decision processes at Motorola. Very difficult to predict and even harder sometimes to understand the why part. The good part is technical side relates to what is going in the tech world.

The sign thing was just to poke fun at anyone working for Motorola and having a life other than Motorola. Kinda go stock before you go home, so "Bat Wing" (Motorola) big brother don't find out.

Again I apologize of anyone took this wrong.

Sent from my DROIDX

Drummynator
04-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Even if motorola unlocks the bootloaders, verizon is cracking down on rooted phones.

http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/android-news-rumors/6888-some-food-thought-bootloaders-rooting-manufacturers-carriers.html#post65013

Sent from my Focused DROID X

tgs
04-03-2011, 02:03 PM
PR people can say anything they want, but whether or not Moto actually follows through is a different issue. I doubt anything will come of it.

ashpdwinDX
04-03-2011, 04:06 PM
This is the age when everyone is trying to lock every thing down and control most aspects of it. Look at internet service providers...almost all of them are putting caps on their services now. Ironically the only one I really know of that doesn't plan this is Verizon with their fios. Sadly its all just to make more money while us consumers get less service. I just hope all of this doesnt get out of control.

DThomp
04-03-2011, 04:54 PM
[QUOTE=ashpdwinDX;259196]This is the age when everyone is trying to lock every thing down and control most aspects of it. Look at internet service providers...almost all of them are putting caps on their services now. Ironically the only one I really know of that doesn't plan this is Verizon with their fios. Sadly its all just to make more money while us consumers get less service. I just hope all of this doesnt get out of control.[/

I think it's already out of control.