PDA

View Full Version : Using MIDI (.mid) ringtones? off of /sdcard/media/audio/notifications

BadeMillsap
07-24-2010, 04:18 PM
I admit to being as ignorant as an earthworm and a complete newbie when it comes to smartphones ... but I read everything I could find and somehow have missed the boat on this ...

I used the USB connection between my PC and my X and copied several Midi (.mid) ringtones I liked over to the SD card in the /sdcard/media/audio/notifications folder ... I can navigate to them using FileManager I can see them and in filemanager if I touch any of them they open and play exactly as I would hope (I guess some sort of "music" player but I havent figured out how to navigate to them with the"MUSIC" app) ... regardless ... I know they are on the phone and they do play ... BUT ... when I try to use Home=>Settings=>Sound & Display=>Phone ringtone to SELECT one of them OR when I am in contacts and try to set up a specific ringtone for a contact ... I ONLY 'see' the default ringtones preloaded on the phone .. none of the MIDI ringtones are offered for selection ... Sooooooooo??? WTF??? Have I misinterpreted the proceedure to accomplish this?? :mad:

lives2fish
07-29-2010, 10:47 PM
I admit to being as ignorant as an earthworm and a complete newbie when it comes to smartphones ... but I read everything I could find and somehow have missed the boat on this ...

I used the USB connection between my PC and my X and copied several Midi (.mid) ringtones I liked over to the SD card in the /sdcard/media/audio/notifications folder ... I can navigate to them using FileManager I can see them and in filemanager if I touch any of them they open and play exactly as I would hope (I guess some sort of "music" player but I havent figured out how to navigate to them with the"MUSIC" app) ... regardless ... I know they are on the phone and they do play ... BUT ... when I try to use Home=>Settings=>Sound & Display=>Phone ringtone to SELECT one of them OR when I am in contacts and try to set up a specific ringtone for a contact ... I ONLY 'see' the default ringtones preloaded on the phone .. none of the MIDI ringtones are offered for selection ... Sooooooooo??? WTF??? Have I misinterpreted the proceedure to accomplish this?? :mad:
First off. try just putting them into the root of your sd card into a folder called music. then you should be able to access them via music icon.
Once they can be opened in your music app, you can select a song, it will start to play and while it's playing press menu and the option will come up to use as a ringtone.
Also I urge you to try using a app called ringdroid, it will allow you to edit the song on you sd card and save that clip as a ringtone.
hope this helped you out. any questions shoot me a PM

BadeMillsap
07-30-2010, 08:55 AM
Thank you ... I have been using RingDroid and it is indeed a handy tool. I'll give your other suggestion a try ... thank you for the reply,

kegman
08-13-2010, 12:35 PM
wait wait wait, ignoring lives2fish workaround how do you get this to work. if you usb mass storage connect to pc it opens a folder. I assume this is sd card root. I did the media>audio>ringtones.......nothing shows up. Now Im going into settings>sound and display>notification ringtone to see if it worked. If im supposed to find the ringtones in another menu....idk.

ScooterCat
02-22-2011, 08:54 AM
To use sound files as a phone ringtone or as a contact custom ringtone, the files must be in /Media/Audio/Ringtones, not in /Media/Audio/Notifications. You may have to restart the phone for the ringtone list to show the added files.

Sounds in either /Media/Audio/Ringtones or /Media/Audio/Notifications will not show up in the Music Player.