PDA

View Full Version : Before and After screen protector close-ups.

BOWIE
07-23-2010, 11:34 PM
I imagine that there's some others who want to know exactly how much these "Crystal Clear" protectors will affect the appearance of the screen. So, I bought a Steinheil Ultra Crystal (considered to be the best available), set up my tripod, and took some comparison pics.
The first pic of each pair is without the protector. The 2nd pic is with a clean protector installed. F11 may hep you out by widening the viewable area of screen on your PC browser. The pics with the protector turned out a tad brighter, which was simply my camera's reaction to the difference in light (ambient light was not altered between pics).
See my review at the bottom.
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l241/slightlydazed7/NoCover.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l241/slightlydazed7/Cover.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l241/slightlydazed7/SSnoCover.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l241/slightlydazed7/SSCover.jpg

As you can see, the protector does add the tiniest bit of haze. It doesn't have lot of glare but, it does reflect a little more light back at you. No, it's not quite as sharp as a bare screen. But, the difference is minimal and I got over it after about 5min.

The "drag" is awful at first. But, after dirtying it up a bit and wiping it off, there is actually slightly LESS drag than the bare screen. The protector does not feel like glass to me. Definitely plastic, though that's not really a negative as fingerprints show up slightly less. And, surprisingly, touch sensitivity greatly improved after I put the protector on! I had issues w/ the Droid X's screen not being sensitive enough but the protector has resolved that.

One negative about the Steinheil's method of clinging is that they edges are lifting, leaving air bubbles around the corner. It has nothing to do with the application of the cover (I used to paint and decal show-cars so I am very mindful of contaminants and proper application techniques). The application itself went flawlessly and the protector fits with only a fraction of an inch of underlap. Though the bubbly edges are a huge disappointment, the bubble does not reach the visual area of the screen.

Though I have mixed feeling about the protector, nothing can replace the peace of mind that a protector brings and it's worth putting up with the drawbacks.

rubi22
07-24-2010, 01:10 AM
Great review. Thanks. Pics help a lot.

thescreensavers
07-24-2010, 01:46 AM
Pics of the edges? Is there not enough sticky stuff to keep it down?

silv3rskeeter
07-24-2010, 02:36 AM
what are the green and red bars on the top banner of your screen??

BOWIE
07-24-2010, 02:36 AM
Pics of the edges? Is there not enough sticky stuff to keep it down?
I don't know that there's actually an adhesive. I think it works on static, though I'm not entirely sure.
Here you go;
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l241/slightlydazed7/bubble.jpg

BOWIE
07-24-2010, 02:39 AM
what are the green and red bars on the top banner of your screen??
App called "Real Signal". I'm using it to see how accurate the stock signal strength meters are. So far, they seem to match each other most of the time.

thescreensavers
07-24-2010, 02:59 AM
I don't know that there's actually an adhesive. I think it works on static, though I'm not entirely sure.
Here you go;

what the...

Garemlin
07-24-2010, 06:32 AM
Here you go;

There is a silicone adhesive that works in conjunction with static adhesion. But it is not an adhesive in the sense that it will leave any residue on the screen when you remove it.

thescreensaver: I replied to your PM about that issue.

thescreensavers
07-25-2010, 01:14 AM
I got mine, and it does not do what the OP's does with the edges. Maybe you did not clean the surface properly? Might be a defect you got lifetime warranty.

BOWIE
07-25-2010, 01:34 AM
I got mine, and it does not do what the OP's does with the edges. Maybe you did not clean the surface properly? Might be a defect you got lifetime warranty.
It was as clean as you can get w/o solvents. I used three different, unused, microfiber cloths to make sure that there was absolutely no contaminant on the glass (yea, sound crazy but I work with electronics parts for a living so I'm very thorough). It only lifts in 2 specific areas so it may indeed be a defect. Perhaps the silicone was not properly distributed in those parts as they do not look "wet" underneath when I push them down, unlike the rest of the protector. I'll contact them about the warranty and update here regarding the resolution.

I'll have to add again that this protector has improved the touch-sensitivy in a great way. It seems like the feel as ease of use has only gotten better. The bubbles, unfortunately, haven't.

thescreensavers
07-25-2010, 01:45 AM
^ You can use some 50/50 IPA to remove oils that might be on the screen. Thats what I did when I installed mine.

didiwags
07-29-2010, 04:28 PM
I got mine today and it installed flawlessly!!! No bubbles on the edges!!!

irod87
07-29-2010, 05:00 PM
Im really liking the clarity vs mine which is the zagg...Might have to make the switch.

techie1
08-02-2010, 10:43 AM
Here you go;
Same problem here. It's been a few days since I installed it and the problem had not gone away. It happend to me on the left side of the screen just like in your picture.

pacmantravis
08-02-2010, 02:58 PM
I did not have this problem at all - My protector was installed perfectly...that is until I put on a TPU case.

It seems like the case puts some pressure on the sides of the phone, which causes the edges to bubble slightly. If I take off the case and reapply, all is well...the moment I put on the case...bubbles

It became such an annoyance to me that I just took off the protector and am leaving the case on.

InfamousDX
08-02-2010, 03:38 PM
I did not have this problem at all - My protector was installed perfectly...that is until I put on a TPU case.

It seems like the case puts some pressure on the sides of the phone, which causes the edges to bubble slightly. If I take off the case and reapply, all is well...the moment I put on the case...bubbles

It became such an annoyance to me that I just took off the protector and am leaving the case on.
I had that problem with my TPU case until I readjusted the screen protector to be perfectly centered horizontally - pressing buttons would cause whatever side I was pressing on to lift slightly. Then I'd have to simply iron out the edge again (no need to lift and readjust). Eventually I perfectly centered the Steinheil and it works without flaw w/my TPU case.

pacmantravis
08-02-2010, 03:47 PM
I had that problem with my TPU case until I readjusted the screen protector to be perfectly centered horizontally - pressing buttons would cause whatever side I was pressing on to lift slightly. Then I'd have to simply iron out the edge again (no need to lift and readjust). Eventually I perfectly centered the Steinheil and it works without flaw w/my TPU case.

Yeah, that's what I did to. However, I could never get it "perfect" and always say a little bubble or two on the edges. I'm pretty anal about that sort of stuff - I just figure that I have insurance and if the screen messes up, I'll just get a replacement.

BOWIE
08-04-2010, 02:32 AM

It's about as centered as it can get. I even trimmed the edges of the case, just to see if it would help. No dice. Aside form the bubbled edges, the protector itself is starting to bother me. It may look clear to most people, but I definitely see it there, and I've decided that I really don't like it. Thinking of trying Siedio instead. It may be thinner and clearer. At this point, the only thing keeping the Steinheil on my phone is the fact that the touch-sensitivity is improved. I know it's a popular item here and it bugs some people to read this, but I'm just being honest.

CrashF16
08-04-2010, 09:49 AM
I have the same issue with the sides not laying flat against the screen. I'm sure it will protect ok, but it looks bad. I'm contacting the company for a replacement.

Mean Bro Greene
08-15-2010, 09:05 PM
Previously, I had no desire to put a screen protector on my device, but after reading this review I am seriously considering picking up one of these. I was concerned about deadening the sensitivity of the screen and reducing picture quality, but the difference appears negligible. Thanks for the review!

BOWIE
08-18-2010, 04:22 AM
UPDATE; I contacted Steinheil's ebay sales dept about the issue and they asked for pics of the problem. I sent the pic from this thread and, after a couple days, they told me to send the protector bacK to them in CA. I sent everything back (incl unused protector and box) and the refunded me the original $14 plus the $2 it cost me to send it back. So, in the end, I'm only out the oriiginal $2 in shipping.

Based on my experience so far, I think I'll buy some of the cheapie protectors for when I vacation, go outdoors, party hard, etc and go without one for every-day use. The protector started to annoy me due to the way it slightly dulled the screen. However, I think that people that get their hands dirty when they work or like to throw their phone in a cluttered purse would benefit from a screen protector. If you're going to use one, Steinheil certainly isn't a bad way to go and, they back-up their products.

eric eakin
08-18-2010, 04:47 AM
BOWIE... Thanks for the detailed follow up on your experiences with that!

rubi22
08-18-2010, 10:23 AM
UPDATE; I contacted Steinheil's ebay sales dept about the issue and they asked for pics of the problem. I sent the pic from this thread and, after a couple days, they told me to send the protector bacK to them in CA. I sent everything back (incl unused protector and box) and the refunded me the original $14 plus the $2 it cost me to send it back. So, in the end, I'm only out the oriiginal $2 in shipping.

Based on my experience so far, I think I'll buy some of the cheapie protectors for when I vacation, go outdoors, party hard, etc and go without one for every-day use. The protector started to annoy me due to the way it slightly dulled the screen. However, I think that people that get their hands dirty when they work or like to throw their phone in a cluttered purse would benefit from a screen protector. If you're going to use one, Steinheil certainly isn't a bad way to go and, they back-up their products.

Motorola MB810 Droid X Crystal Clear Screen Protector ( 3Packs ) (http://www.handhelditems.com/motorola-mb810-droid-crystal-clear-screen-protector-3packs-p-138881.html)

Can't beat these. As clear and as smooth as i need them to be. And you can't go wrong with the price.

MaxPayne
08-20-2010, 12:29 PM
Just ordered these. Now I have a Silicone Cover and Screen protectors...now just need my phone...lol