PDA

View Full Version : Droid X & Ford SYNC by Microsoft

joeyjackpot
01-11-2011, 12:40 PM
For anyone who has a SYNC-enabled Ford, I finally gave up the ghost and decided to try pairing my phone with my car to stream music.

I did it at a red light. I'm not kidding.

Wow! I thought this would be a headache... it's not. Turn on bluetooth on your phone, and make your device discoverable. Then, on the SYNC menu, get to Bluetooth Media Streaming: Add Bluetooth Device. Your car must be stopped for this to work. It will tell you you can't do it while driving, but the car doesn't need to be in park. Your phone will recognize "Unknown connection." and prompt you to enter a six or seven digit PIN that is displayed on your car's display. Your car will identify your device as DROIDX.

Basically, every time you turn on Bluetooth Media Streaming and your phone has bluetooth enabled, it will automatically start playing music. Amazing. It's instant. I can even switch tracks on my phone via my steering wheel.

Tips:
1. Unless you plan on making calls within SYNC, don't make it your default phone or download your phonebook.
2. After syncing, while in Phone Menu, choose "Off" for Message Notifications. otherwise it will pause playback every time you receive a text.
3. Turn ON 911-Assist, or else every time you reconnect the device, you will be warned about not having it enabled.
4. If you ever need to delete the connection and start over, you can do so in the Media Settings>Bluetooth Devices>Forget Device option.

I'm in love with this feature now though. You can control playback from your phone or from your car and there is nothing about like FORD SYNC! on your phone, just the bluteooth icon in your status bar. This is much better than the ipod integration. Can someone tell me why the f-ck ipods don't have a bluetooth radio? This would make streaming music from them so much easier.

BadMedicine
01-11-2011, 12:47 PM
For anyone who has a SYNC-enabled Ford, I finally gave up the ghost and decided to try pairing my phone with my car to stream music.

Wow! I thought this would be a headache... it's not. Turn on bluetooth on your phone, and make your device discoverable. Then, on the SYNC menu, get to Bluetooth Media Streaming: Add Bluetooth Device. Your car must be stopped for this to work. It will tell you you can't do it while driving, but the car doesn't need to be in park. Your phone will recognize "Unknown connection." and prompt you to enter a six or seven digit PIN that is displayed on your car's display. Your car will identify your device as DROIDX.

Basically, every time you turn on Bluetooth Media Streaming and your phone has bluetooth enabled, it will automatically start playing music. Amazing. It's instant. I can even switch tracks on my phone via my steering wheel.

Tips:
1. Unless you plan on making calls within SYNC, don't make it your default phone or download your phonebook.
2. After syncing, while in Phone Menu, choose "Off" for Message Notifications. otherwise it will pause playback every time you receive a text.
3. Turn ON 911-Assist, or else every time you reconnect the device, you will be warned about not having it enabled.
4. If you ever need to delete the connection and start over, you can do so in the Media Settings>Bluetooth Devices>Forget Device option.

I'm in love with this feature now though. You can control playback from your phone or from your car and there is nothing about like FORD SYNC! on your phone, just the bluteooth icon in your status bar. This is much better than the ipod integration. Can someone tell me why the f-ck ipods don't have a bluetooth radio? This would make streaming music from them so much easier.

That is cool. This reminds me, I just saw a new commercial for something "cruize". It was a car commercial and it showed a woman turning her car on, locking/unlocking it straight from an app on her cellphone. I'm going to do some digging and find it.

gravybird
01-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Sweet! My 08 ford has sync. I just haven't paired the two because the phone portion isn't up to my standards:) ill try that out though. Thanks

Swyped while swerving

BadMedicine
01-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Found it! This is so bad *ss!!! It's called Onstar Mobile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzXpQocrPhY

jloya
01-11-2011, 01:04 PM
pandora + plus bluetooth radio connection = :D

arlinv
01-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Since I Sync my phone for hands-free phone use, all I had to do was select the phone via the Media button on the radio. Once you change the media option, to radio or something else, you just go back and re-select the X.

joeyjackpot
01-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Since I Sync my phone for hands-free phone use, all I had to do was select the phone via the Media button on the radio. Once you change the media option, to radio or something else, you just go back and re-select the X.

yup, it saves it. and if you've already linked the phonebook, the media portion is as simple as selecting the device through the media menu instead of phone menu. i believe i can also press the handsfreebutton and say bluetooth like i can with my ipod by saying "USB"

joeyjackpot
01-11-2011, 02:51 PM
pandora + plus bluetooth radio connection = :D

I sooooooooo didn't even think of that :) I love you.

sfreemanoh
01-11-2011, 02:59 PM
I love it also, but just as a warning to save you battery life...even if you aren't streaming audio from your phone, the music app starts up automatically as soon as the bluetooth connection is made. Also, I haven't found a way to set a playlist or tell it to only play files from a specific folder. So right now it basically creates a live playlist of all audio files on my phone, so all of a sudden it can go from Dave Matthews Band to the American Gods audio book files I have on it.

joeyjackpot
01-11-2011, 03:00 PM
I love it also, but just as a warning to save you battery life...even if you aren't streaming audio from your phone, the music app starts up automatically as soon as the bluetooth connection is made. Also, I haven't found a way to set a playlist or tell it to only play files from a specific folder. So right now it basically creates a live playlist of all audio files on my phone, so all of a sudden it can go from Dave Matthews Band to the American Gods audio book files I have on it.

I don't really use the stock player... i just wait for BT to connect and turn it off... then i go to the media player i like... the controls still work from the wheel.

jloya
01-11-2011, 03:08 PM
I sooooooooo didn't even think of that :) I love you.

hahahahaha :)

my ipod has become obsolete....time to put it on CL or something

Ive found to that Pandora while driving works quite well in soCal

I rarely get any interruptions or pauses and quality is an A

joeyjackpot
01-11-2011, 03:21 PM
where in socal are you? it's funny that you're in socal because i read your screen name "la jolla" because i'm mildly dyslexic haha.

jloya
01-11-2011, 03:31 PM
lol alllottt of people pronounce it la jolla or something along those lines

im in Carlsbad (north county) about 35 mins north of downtown SD

i drive the 5 freeway from Carlsbad to pacific beach and downtown SD just about everday with Pandora streaming the whole timeee (gf lives in PB and works downtown) and rarely have any issues

joeyjackpot
01-11-2011, 03:40 PM
aww that's fun. i spent 4 years in LA, but I have been to san diego, too. so nice there.

jloya
01-11-2011, 03:43 PM
nice, I really enjoy socal....traffic is a painnn i the a$$$$ but thats what my motorcycle is for :)

if the funds allow id suggest makin another trip out here

65 and sunnyyy in winter :)

joeyjackpot
01-11-2011, 03:49 PM
lol. i doubt i'll ever live on the west coast again. i missed seasons too much no matter how much everyone wants to ***** about them.

Traffic & Parking were a huge factor in my choice to not stay out there.

jloya
01-11-2011, 03:54 PM
yeah the seasons would be nice to see from time to time

i cant wait to head to colorado thursday for a week of snowboarding :)

traffic and parking are a painnnn....if I cant ride my motorcycle to go see my girlfriend sadly I just wont go then....no way im taking my car into that madness

where abouts are you now?

Tornlogic
01-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Yea Ford Sync is pretty cool with Android. I been using it for over a year. Any audio works over bluetooth. Sitting in the car waiting for someone? Open your favorite game, and the audio of the game will come through the car speakers. You're not limited to just music. RD3 works great too!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jloya
01-11-2011, 04:03 PM
surround sound angry birds lol

Tornlogic
01-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Try Dungeon Defenders.

hollywood
01-11-2011, 04:42 PM

Can I see your license and and registration please? Lol. JK!

Can someone tell me why the f-ck ipods don't have a bluetooth radio? This would make streaming music from them so much easier.

iPod Touch and iPhone's do have Bluetooth radios in them. I am not sure about the new Nano, but the rest of them do not.

And thank you for this useful post! I am trying to save up to put a down payment on a new car (Preferably, and Ford Focus) and was debating on whether or not to pay a little more to get the SYNC enabled Focus because of features such as this. You have convinced me. :)

I might have to wait til the 2012 or 2013 models come out before I can afford one, but what-ev! I like Ford, and didn't know if the SYNC was any good in it or not! :)

jloya
01-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Can I see your license and and registration please? Lol. JK!

And thank you for this useful post! I am trying to save up to put a down payment on a new car (Preferably, and Ford Focus) and was debating on whether or not to pay a little more to get the SYNC enabled Focus because of features such as this. You have convinced me. :)

I might have to wait til the 2012 or 2013 models come out before I can afford one, but what-ev! I like Ford, and didn't know if the SYNC was any good in it or not! :)

you should compare the cost of a aftermarket stereo compared to the sync system

usually you can get a much nicer after market stereo for the price of the sync system and it integrates just about the same way

I am using a Pioneer stereo with built in blue tooth etc and it was MUCHHHH cheaper then going with the "premium package" stereo w/ bluetooth etc

gravybird
01-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Strong choice Hollywood! We bought a focus new in 08. Got the sync package. We have over 50,000 miles on it, and have not had one single issue with that car! Just scheduled services, and one Set of tires. If they try to sell you a model with pirelli tires, tell them to pound sand:-)

Swyped while swerving

hollywood
01-11-2011, 06:00 PM
you should compare the cost of a aftermarket stereo compared to the sync system

usually you can get a much nicer after market stereo for the price of the sync system and it integrates just about the same way

I am using a Pioneer stereo with built in blue tooth etc and it was MUCHHHH cheaper then going with the "premium package" stereo w/ bluetooth etc

Yeah. I have a thread on here somewhere about which stereo to get. I ended up going with a Pioneer. It was the bundle pack at WalMart for $85 with 4 6-1/2" speakers in it. The head unit only has USB and Aux in, and does not have Bluetooth like a DUAL model I was looking at. Something cool that I discovered is that I can connect my phone to the Aux port, and I can listen to whoever I am talking to on the phone through my stereo, and they can hear me through the mic on the phone! Not sure if that was intentional, but it works! :)

Droid-Xer
01-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Strong choice Hollywood! We bought a focus new in 08. Got the sync package. We have over 50,000 miles on it, and have not had one single issue with that car! Just scheduled services, and one Set of tires. If they try to sell you a model with pirelli tires, tell them to pound sand:-)

Swyped while swerving

Tell me about it! Ive replaced the Pirellis twice and I only have 60K miles!

sfreemanoh
01-12-2011, 08:36 AM
Not to go even further off topic, but consider getting a pre-owned Ford. They have a lot of returned lease vehicles that are a couple years old, and since they were leases you know (and they can show you documentation backing it up) that they were brought in for frequent maintenance. That's how I got my '08 Fusion a couple weeks ago, and it was like 7-8k less than the one they had on the showroom floor.

joeyjackpot
01-12-2011, 01:50 PM
yeah the seasons would be nice to see from time to time

i cant wait to head to colorado thursday for a week of snowboarding :)

traffic and parking are a painnnn....if I cant ride my motorcycle to go see my girlfriend sadly I just wont go then....no way im taking my car into that madness

where abouts are you now?

Upstate New York

joeyjackpot
01-12-2011, 01:55 PM
I got a Ford Fusion when my Saturn Ion died.

I'm the jackass that doesn't want a sunroof (just more moving parts to break!) and the only model on the lot that had the exterior (metallic gray)/interior color (anything dark) i wanted ... was also the only model without a sunroof... and it had SYNC. which I thought i didn't want. but there's a USB port (and extra cigarette lighter charge port) built into inside the armrest when you have Sync... for ipods or for charging via USB... plus the blutooth integration, and controls on the steering wheel... it's more than just "Buy a radio after market" to get the exact same features... at least the way it's hard-wired into the car with ports and controls... and it was only $100 over Non-Sync sticker... so I'm not sure that saving the $15 on an $85 stereo you have to install yourself is worth the features that leaves out... but that's just my experience!

gravybird
01-12-2011, 04:07 PM
How does your sync phone quality work for you? I love all the qualities of sync, but people complain a bit about hearing me or the lady friend over sync. The mic is in the rearview mirror on my car.

Swyped while swerving

Tornlogic
01-13-2011, 07:10 AM
Im the kinda guy to yank out the factory stereo for something better in the aftermatket world. After using the sync in my Ford Fusion for a day or two, I realized its better than any headunit I've ever owned including an Alpine I had installed in my Honda Odyssey.
Everything works flawlessly, well integrated, factory looking... and sounds great! Why pull it for something that doesn't work as well?

joeyjackpot
01-18-2011, 12:33 PM
How does your sync phone quality work for you? I love all the qualities of sync, but people complain a bit about hearing me or the lady friend over sync. The mic is in the rearview mirror on my car.

Swyped while swerving

"hearing me or the lady friend over sync" - I'm confused. like, using it for phone calls? The mic is on my roof right above my head for me... but I don't use it for phone calls. I'll use it to say "Bluetooth Audio" or "USB" and it always gets it right... but I typically put the phone in Speaker mode when i get a call, the radio says "In Private Call" until the call ends, then goes back to playing.

gravybird
01-18-2011, 09:02 PM
Yeah, I was taking about using the built in phone part. The people that that me or "the ole ball and chain" talk to on sync complain about hearing us:-)

She would totally punch me if she read this post:)

Swyped while swerving

joeyjackpot
01-19-2011, 08:37 AM
hahaha. Yeah, I don't know that I trust it. I feel like my phone gets it better when I just put it on speaker, upside down, on my lap.

PeakyBoo
02-26-2011, 09:34 AM
Hey Everyone;
I am trying to pair my DX to my 2011 Ford Edge My Touch Sync, it will pair with it. It finds my DX, has the right name , all the contacts and all the music. The problem is
#1) Contacts images do not show up, yet all the contacts r there.
#2) My play list is there but the album art is not showing up.
I set the sync up as per the owners manuals say IE: download all album art. etc. Still no
art no contact images.

I am running Liberty 1.5
I just switched the contacts to AOSP contacts so I will try that today.
as for the music I am using Power Amp Player which IMO is the best player out there.

BTW, I also went back to stock Back up and it still doesn't show Images or Art Work.
Thought it might have needed a Blur rom instead of Blurless.. NOT:-{

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.