PDA

View Full Version : It actually happened

Reir
01-11-2011, 10:29 AM
Just FYI Verizon made it official Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, 4G LTE network with the Best Cell Phone Service - Verizon Wireless (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/index.html)

maybish
01-11-2011, 10:32 AM
website is stuck! must be overloaded!!!

Reir
01-11-2011, 10:34 AM
They're going to make the iPhone 4 available on Feb 10, 2011.

redsox 98
01-11-2011, 10:37 AM
The day the iphone 4 can do the things that a good android phone can do then it is news. But it is just another phone with cult like following.

Backnblack
01-11-2011, 10:39 AM
If this turns into a bashing thread it will be closed and infractions issued.

WugFresh
01-11-2011, 10:40 AM
We can't bash apple? Thats no fun
: (

{{ WugFresh }}

Backnblack
01-11-2011, 10:44 AM
We can't bash apple? Thats no fun
: (

{{ WugFresh }}

No...............

Reir
01-11-2011, 10:45 AM
I personally didn't believe the rumors, so I'm surprised that it's actually going to be released...with an official date...from Verizon.

What's AT&T going to do now? I believe the Atrix is the only phone that they have over Verizon now and it's not even out yet. That is of course if the Bionic actually has 512mb RAM, which I believe was confirmed.

johnfish
01-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Interestingly enough if you look at the FAQ on the website its says you can sign up with any phone plan but you will also need to sign up for a data pak prices to be announced in the future. Looks like tierd 3g is coming to verizon!

Phildo
01-11-2011, 10:47 AM
a good phone on a crap network equals fail...a good phone on a good network equals good...a great phone (droid x) on a good network equals win!

glad to see they finally got it tho

WugFresh
01-11-2011, 10:52 AM
AT&T is screwed, the best business move they ever made was their exclusivity deal with apple; no body is a loyal AT&T customer, but pleanty of people are loyal apple customers. Theres about to be a major exodus from AT&T to Verizon. AT&T is going to sink like brick.

{{ WugFresh }}

WugFresh
01-11-2011, 10:54 AM
a good phone on a crap network equals fail...a good phone on a good network equals good...a great phone (droid x) on a good network equals win!

Agreed!

{{ WugFresh }}

WugFresh
01-11-2011, 10:55 AM
No...............

Ok... sorry.

{{ WugFresh }}

Reir
01-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Maybe AT&T will actually become competitive and offer something to their customers that will make them want to stay.

Les
01-11-2011, 10:58 AM
Well the *phone sales will rise now and apple will be happy i guess...

WugFresh
01-11-2011, 11:00 AM
Maybe AT&T will actually become competitive and offer something to their customers that will make them want to stay.

They better have figured out that plan already, they are running out of time. LOL.. I personally think they will either release some crazy phone that none of us know about yet, they will offer some unquie/discounted services, they will sell all their towers to another provider like boost mobile, or they will go for full liquidation of all of their assets.

{{ WugFresh }}

Garemlin
01-11-2011, 11:02 AM

One thing I will give AT&T is they have a heck of a retention department. The only issue we ever had with them is deteriorating service. Which when you get right down to it is the primary concern when choosing a carrier. I'm not gonna stay with a carrier with excellent customer service and plan pricing if the coverage stinks.

Reir
01-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Possibly more competitive pricing? Which Verizon may counter? I want 4g to be more affordable when it finally comes to my area...

joeyjackpot
01-11-2011, 11:05 AM
This is what I read that is their leg-up: iPhone model sales contracts (between apple and a retailer for a specific model of the iphone) are year long... AT&T will get the 4G iPhone 5 in the Summer... just in time to piss off all the new verizon customers/at&t ship-jumpers who will have to wait until February 2012 for a 4G iPhone model on Verizon. This makes sense. Verizon customers have to wait for the better model, but they get the better service.

Realistically, millions of people locked into contracts with at&t aren't going to "jump ship" once they realize it's not only still a 3G phone but they'll need to buy another one. Get ready for threads about people who need to know why they can't just take their AT&T iphone and put it on verizon's network. Get ready! Now. iPhone users are the least sophisticated smartphone users on the planet... and that's not bashing. It's super accessible... but that poses a problem from a tech support standpoint. Had this happened a year ago, It would be the big bang people want to make it seem. Now it's sort of like... anticlimactic. No more articles CONFIRMING RUMORS about the verizon iphone. There was, what, 2-3 days of hype this time around?

It will make an impression, sure! But I think finally now the iPhone will just stop being looked at like this unwinnable prize... the way Froyo was all anyone could wait for and once we got it, the conensus was overwhelmingly "Meh, what else can we talk about now?" ... some will switch to iphones... others will try them and switch out... and the 4G model on AT&T will keep a lot of them from completely bailing all at once. This is a planned, tiered migration.

WugFresh
01-11-2011, 11:07 AM
You really think AT&T is going to get iPhone5... exclusively?

{{ WugFresh }}

Reir
01-11-2011, 11:09 AM
He's not saying exclusively, just sooner.

WugFresh
01-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Oh.. yeah, that will kill all the iPhone fanboys. They will cry when they're not the first on the block with the new fruit phones.

{{ WugFresh }}

Reir
01-11-2011, 11:14 AM
If you can't get the Fanboys, then how fast will the transition from AT&T to Verizon actually be? People who just got an iPhone are going to be willing to buy a whole new iPhone just to come to Verizon.

joeyjackpot
01-11-2011, 11:15 AM
You really think AT&T is going to get iPhone5... exclusively?

{{ WugFresh }}

Timeline:

Summer 2010: iPhone 4 (3G) comes out on AT&T with a one year OEM-retailer sales contract
February 2011: iPhone 4 (3G) comes out on Verizon with a one year OEM-retailer sales contract
Summer 2011: iPhone 5 (4G) is released on AT&T with the renewal of their sales contract. Verizon is not eligible to renew until February 2012.
February 2012: iPhone 5 (4G) is released on AT&T
Late 2012/Early 2013 - iPhone 6 (4G CDMA/GSM Ready "World Phone") is released simultaneously and will work on both networks. By now, the "war" is over and people will stop trying to swap networks.

Though they COULD make a GSM/CDMA model now - apple only adds one feature at a time - has no one paid attention to their product deveopment?

Look at the iPods... each "Gen" got one major upgrade ... you could COMBINE upgrades (like, color screen with video playback - anyone remember the color screen iPod that only did photos?) ... but its easier to sell 6 rounds of a product

joeyjackpot
01-11-2011, 11:17 AM
If you can't get the Fanboys, then how fast will the transition from AT&T to Verizon actually be? People who just got an iPhone are going to be willing to buy a whole new iPhone just to come to Verizon.

lol... i don't get why no one else sees that this is the plan. the plan isn't to decimate at&t as a company... apple still has a working relationship with them... the winner here is apple... at&t and verizon actually lose money every time a new iphone model drops... because of the subsidizing the cost with contracts (only $199 with 2 year contract! means that verizon is PAYING APPLE the $200 discount for every activation).

AT&T stands to gain money by losing iPhone users. Something like 500 billion dollars this year alone. Did no one else read the article on yahoo headlines?

But yes. Verizon and AT&T will both solidify their ground by gaining and losing customers at the cost of gaining and losing $200 to apple every time they gain/lose an activation. Apple just rakes in the cash.

Other difference that will emerge between the models before they are integrated:
1) Sim card slot for Verizon model
2) Resolving the issue of AppStore vs vCast
3) Compatibility of software between models (will FaceTime work when the users are on different networks?)
4) Verizon model will not be able to use voice and data at the same time because of CDMA 3G limitations - this, i'm sure, throws a kink into managing apps like skype and facetime.
5) Verizon network may become congested
6) Verizon model may be eclipsed by LTE android/win7 phones

This is the perfect time to release the phone. It's a dated model that is sure to guarantee steady migration rather than a "the bottom just dropped out" situation for either carrier. And of course it came after christmas in between booms of android phones. There is a reason this wasn't announced at CES. it's intentionally quiet.

WugFresh
01-11-2011, 11:18 AM
But your timeline neglects to factor in the apocalypse is in 2012.. lol

{{ WugFresh }}

WugFresh
01-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Joeyjackpot that's a good point, keep them both in good business and apple wins. They are very strategic in all of their business decisions. And definitely lead the industry regarding marketing tactics.

{{ WugFresh }}

Roooler
01-11-2011, 11:37 AM
But your timeline neglects to factor in the apocalypse is in 2012.. lol

{{ WugFresh }}

:lol2:

Lmfao

joeyjackpot
01-11-2011, 11:40 AM
I'm so glad this happened now. I may not have had the chance to jump to android. I feel that there are a good sum of verizon users who are saying "ummm.... maybe I DON'T want an iPhone right now."

I think this is what verizon needs to phase out it's 3G multimedia phones. This will attract even the most basic of users and the gap between "dumb phone" and "smart phone" can get even wider as they phase out phones like LG Envy Touch, if they haven't already... those phones are years old and they are clearly trying to replace them with low end androids like the motorola citrus.

Now that talk and text are unlimited, somewhat cheaply, they need to start pulling in all the data plans they can get. iPhone will help a lot of the "i don't want to upgrade to a smartphone!" sticks in the mud migrate over to phone with a data package.

WugFresh
01-11-2011, 11:44 AM
I agree Joeyjackpot... I too was at a crossroads when the iPhone 4 came out, but since my AT&T contract was up.. I was like screw it, I'm getting the DROIDX.. meanwhile I didn't really know anything about android, just that I hated AT&T and the DROIDX was a decent competitor. Now that I tried it, I'm sticking with android phones from here on because I like them so much more than what iOS has to offer. Plus I'm definitely sticking Verizon.

{{ WugFresh }}

DebianDog
01-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Yes as much as I am a total Apple fanboi nothing could force me to use AT&T .

Beamed from my DroidX

mikeinrichmond
01-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Yes as much as I am a total Apple fanboi nothing could force me to use AT&T .

Beamed from my DroidX
As the saying goes, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.
Never again!

X swyper

joeyjackpot
01-11-2011, 12:33 PM
I don't hope the iphone fails on verizon. I just hope this is the beginning of the end for the OMFG IPHONES era. half the mystique to verizon users was "i can't go into a verizon store and play with one to decide if i hate it"

WugFresh
01-11-2011, 12:35 PM
That era isn't going to be extinct for a long time my friend, just takes one company to step it up and come up with some bad ass innovation... and everyone's back to drooling again.

{{ WugFresh }}

DebianDog
01-11-2011, 01:07 PM
That era isn't going to be extinct for a long time my friend, just takes one company to step it up and come up with some bad ass innovation... and everyone's back to drooling again.

{{ WugFresh }}

+1 and Apple is just the company to do it!

http://www.openscrolls.net/forum/images/smiles/icon_kneel.gif

WugFresh
01-11-2011, 01:10 PM
I was about to get angry and come up with some anti apple comment; and then I saw the image you attached and it made me laugh... so. I'll let you win this time.. lol

{{ WugFresh }}

mikeinrichmond
01-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Gotta hand it to apple, though. Look how far they have moved the bar when it comes to what is expected from a cellphone nowadays. I remember how exited I was when I got a nokia phone that had a crappy camera and I could play mp3's on it. Thought it was the shizzle..lol

X swyper

WugFresh
01-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Yeah, yeah.. I know.. me and DebianDog just have an ongoing mac feud.. lol, I have already admitted that their hardware and innovations are very impressive on numerous occasions.. DebianDog is just giving me a hard time because I remain dense in my opposition to apple.

{{ WugFresh }}

DebianDog
01-11-2011, 01:46 PM
I remain dense

You summed it up nicely though! ;)

joeyjackpot
01-11-2011, 01:57 PM
I used this analogy on a friend. The 9 month old iPhone 4 arriving on verizon is like finding a stale big mac at wendy's. Sure, it might seem exciting to be able to buy a big mac at wendy's, but do you really want a stale big mac just because you found it on wendy's menu? I can't think of a better way to explain this. The device is ancient, technologically speaking. This is like if Sprint released the droid Incredible next month. the world would usher a collective, "who cares?". It's the picture of an apple on the back and the verizon logo on the front that is the only excitement. and believe they kept you waiting. we are the only country to not have the iphone on multiple carriers.

i'll just never pay homage to a company that at the same time boosts innovation and stunts it. the point of apple's entire business model is leaving out key features and then adding them back in one at a time. in this case, it will be 3g iphone on verizon, then 4g on att will come out, leaving verizon users wanting. then 4g iphone will come out on verizon, leaving at&t users bruised. then by the time they get down to a dual tuner model that works on both networks and can release them simultaneously, it won't be such a big deal, and all the contracts will be where they are, you'll just upgrade on whatever network you're on - everyone keeps their callers, apple gets a ton of money.

better for consumers to do it now, better for apple, verizon, and att to literally orchestrate these occasional times of year where it "totally makes sense" to get an iphone on one network over the other. it's just so people keep talking about it, feeling like they got one over on one company or the other, or feel like they "took advantage of a quickly expiring opportunity." the entire thing is just to make people feel urgent about purchasing an iphone - now on multiple networks.

WugFresh
01-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Yeah, your stale burger analogy works to describe this particular incident well, but once the iPhone5 drops everyone will go bonkers again because apple will undoubtedly do something innovative again, leaving the competition clammering to catch up with their hardware.. but then the competitors will figure out how to employ it in a better way using a better os (android); this is the very nature of the perpetuating cycle of apple vs android development.

{{ WugFresh }}

joeyjackpot
01-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Yeah, your stale burger analogy works to describe this particular incident well, but once the iPhone5 drops everyone will go bonkers again because apple will undoubtedly do something innovative again, leaving the competition clammering to catch up with their hardware.. but then the competitors will figure out how to employ it in a better way using a better os (android); this is the very nature of the perpetuating cycle of apple vs android development.

{{ WugFresh }}

4G will be the big selling point of iPhone 5. They will make something that didn't work well with the OS work flawlessly, or they will just announce a new version of the OS that is shiney and new but not that different, and they will announce a partnership with another big company (hulu?). I mean their releases have a pattern. 1-2 hardware upgrades, 1-2 software improvements, 1-2 partnerships. It's a formula. lol. But keep in mind there will come a point where any good phone does pretty much all a phone can do. it will come down to preferences (let's be honest, it already HAS come down to preference)... though we will continue to be bombarded by different phones all that have something cool but lack something cool, and constantly be told "CAST YOUR VOTE WITH YOUR DOLLARS?! WHICH DEVICE IS ON TOP!?"

WugFresh
01-11-2011, 02:57 PM
How about micro projectors and truly indestructible builds.

{{ WugFresh }}

joeyjackpot
01-11-2011, 03:15 PM
How about micro projectors and truly indestructible builds.

{{ WugFresh }}

truly indestructible builds are not at all profitable. these are businesses, not philanthropists. they need them to break, wear, tear and become replaceable almost instantly to keep the hype machine going. you can't look at it from a customer perspective and guess what will actually be put into a phone. you can say what you want... but there are also some things we'll just never see because it would completely break the supply and demand business model. if everyone has a perfect, indescribable phone... they won't ever need to buy a new phone.

there is a REASON the super waterproof/rugged phones are branded and marketed towards construction workers, etc: they don't want regular users buying them. for any company to sell an indestructible phone, they would be losing a business partnership with a cell phone insurance company... and those are bonds we're just not going to see broken anytime soon.

the projector thing i see being a fad. it'll take years before it's useful. if we can't get a flash on the phone to work like a flash on a real camera, i can't imagine there will be a projection worth watching coming out of my phone anytime soon.

WugFresh
01-11-2011, 03:23 PM
@DebianDog
I think I understand where my opposition towards apple stems from. Growing up on windows is what made me truly understand technology, it gave me my trouble shooting abilities and made me comfortable messing with computers, but 9 times out of 10 the people who grew up on macs don't know ****. And those are the type of people who I feel like have no real background in solving technical problems, they are the same people who have the most difficultly getting acclimated to new technology like android. So it pisses me off. They are use to only dealing with over simplified GUI's rather than actually understanding how to make modifications to the system or configure settings. I can spot a mac user on these forums simply by the way they ask their questions or what their about. If it weren't for my POS Gateway 2000 running windows 95 I would never be the person I am today, hell.. I might even go as far as to say I wouldn't end up studying to be an engineer. Windows made me a problem solver, whereas alot of mac natives can't conceive any concepts beyond the GUI. But thats not to say thats how all mac users are, some of them grew up on windows or linux and ultimately made the switch to mac after their background of fustrations with those operation systems. But I truly feel like the majority of native mac users really are dumbed down by the system and can't figure out technology the way a pc user can. Like, so many mac users go on a pc and are lost and start complaining that they don't understand, but I can pick up a mac and get it instantly. Does it make iOS superior, no, it makes it user friendly or better put, newb friendly. I want a computer that presents itself as a computer not just an interface. I want to see the exposed system files, I want to be able to screw it up because that just makes me understand it even more. I want to be able to truly interact with the backend. I want to be treated like a bright problem solver, not a grandma. Yes, an advanced computer user can benefit from a mac and reap the rewards of its stability and advanced hardware, but would they be advanced if oppetating a mac was all they knew... I think not. Sorry for the troll post, but I had to get it out of my system.. I had an epiphany and had to put it into words. I hope no one takes offense by this. I just wanted to describe to you where my fustration towards macs stems from.

@Joeyjackpot
I know all this and agree with you. I am studying towards an MBA, I am aware we aren't ever going to get military grade devices as consumers.. but its nice to speculate what innovations might be marketed next, and yes indestructibility is a farfetched dream, but micro projectors may prove to be very marketable and easy to mass produce. They are a viable candidate for mobile phone innovations that we might see being marketed shortly.

{{ WugFresh }}

OSDroid
01-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Heck ... Apple cant even make a simple alarm clock app work.

OSDroid

joeyjackpot
01-11-2011, 03:41 PM
@DebianDog
They are use to only dealing with over simplified GUI's rather than actually understanding how to make modifications to the system or configure settings.

{{ WugFresh }}

this is exactly why I do not like mac. I tried to do something advanced on a mac for my friend and of course they didn't know how to do as much as make system files un-hidden for search results. it was astounding what they could do within the programs on the computer... but they had no idea how to tinker with the OS itself unless there was a digital stainless steel radio button to change a setting for... lol

joeyjackpot
01-11-2011, 03:44 PM
@DebianDog
@Joeyjackpot
I know all this and agree with you. I am studying towards an MBA, I am aware we aren't ever going to get military grade devices as consumers.. but its nice to speculate what innovations might be marketed next, and yes indestructibility is a farfetched dream, but micro projectors may prove to be very marketable and easy to mass produce. They are a viable candidate for mobile phone innovations that we might see being marketed shortly.

{{ WugFresh }}

marketed? no doubt. done well? no. that's all i was saying. we will SEE them. will they be worth using, caring about, or switching devices for? doubtful. i don't think they would be the key note feature of any new device. that's all i'm saying. they will be a bell & whistle - like wireless teather or wifi hotspotting is - but a projector on a phone kinda lacks the mass appeal of say, a retina display or faster data transfers.

WugFresh
01-11-2011, 03:59 PM
@joeyjackpot
Post 1; Agreed, mac users are very skilled running the programs they are familiar with but rarely have os skills.

I feel like writing that post was therapeutic for me, I finally got to put all that into words. Feels like I got that off my chest finally.

Post 2; Agreed

{{ WugFresh }}

russ8793
01-11-2011, 04:16 PM
I like my DroidX :greendroid:. I think I'll stick with it.

hollywood
01-11-2011, 05:54 PM
I knew it as fact about a month ago. :)

I didn't think anyone would really care since this is an Android forum... But, since it is here, I will put in my 3 cents! (Wait... Or is it 2 cents....)

Here's the breakdown:
Apple- Amazing support, there's a crap load of accessories, and cars are pretty much built around them now. They have a very closely controlled app market (which has it's advantages and disadvantages), and is a phone for those that want a smartphone that looks nice, and functions properly.

Android- A phone for power users (when they want it to be). Android is open-source, and has almost no control on the market (has both advantages and disadvantages) which allows virtually anyone to upload an app, Android is extremely customizable, and phones sold with the OS are greatly increasing.

Apple- Every app has to be put through an elimination process, which is extremely strict, and does not allow anyone to upload whatever they want. The iPhone is one of the most supported devices, and only one new device will come out each year.

Android- Any app can be uploading, giving the market an unsafe prospective in that if someone knows a target group, they can mess up a lot of phones. Android is always on the move, meaning the device you bought today will most likely be outdated in as little as 2-3 months.

To each his own, but there really is no "better" phone. It's based off of user wants and needs. Personally, I would use both phones for 2 completely different uses. One would be for business, and the other would be to geek out on it.

Just my 2 cents! :)

DebianDog
01-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Mac "just works " sells and it is mostly true. They also have the top customer satisfaction in the industry.

Like most people that do not root their phone people most computer people just want a device to work. You do not need to customize or understand a technology to use it.

That however does not make the OS inferior and I would argue the opposite being idiots can use it. ;)

Beamed from my DroidX

WugFresh
01-11-2011, 06:15 PM
And never learn a thing while using it accept how to navigate a predefined GUI. But yes they do work for everyone, accept me.. lol.

{{ WugFresh }}

DebianDog
01-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Learn what?

That a computer is a giant pita? That needs, antivirus, spyware, adware, DLL madness and driver hell just so they "understand"?

Nah most people would rather jump on and go.

Beamed from my DroidX

WugFresh
01-11-2011, 06:39 PM
I guess I am not like most people.. lol.

{{ WugFresh }}

psychotic_penguin
01-11-2011, 06:51 PM
I personally am tired of all the bashing, both Microsoft and Apple put out products that're awesome. As for the iPhone it's a great little phone, I personally will stick with Android because it's my preference, I won't bash anyone that has one, or a Windows 7 phone because it's their personal choice and a Droid is mine.

WugFresh
01-11-2011, 07:46 PM
I am done, I allready put it all out there in my previous post. But I wan't bashing anything, I was stating my personal opinion/experience about the merits and fall backs of both.

{{ WugFresh }}

Les
01-11-2011, 07:49 PM
I personally am tired of all the bashing, both Microsoft and Apple put out products that're awesome. As for the iPhone it's a great little phone, I personally will stick with Android because it's my preference, I won't bash anyone that has one, or a Windows 7 phone because it's their personal choice and a Droid is mine.

I feel the same way... well said!

FMMFL
01-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Are there any polls on here to see who plans to switch? I'd be curious to see the numbers.
I have never had an iphone but I think it will take it for a test drive. Assuming they let me have my measly 14 days still.

Dante
01-17-2011, 06:38 PM
I was just in a verizon store yesterday purchasing an extended battery and asked about the iphone. The rep (who could be mistaken) said the iphone 5 WILL be launched BOTH on verizon and AT&T at the same time this summer.

any evidence for or against this?

either way....I believe I'll stick with my droid