PDA

View Full Version : How to UN-Root the Droid X

Mojo
07-23-2010, 07:05 PM
This was posted on Droid Forums by bmt626 (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/members/bmt626.html) . http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/62916-unrooting-droidx.html

How to Un-Root your Droid X.

"i am not to blame if you brick your phone by trying this but i just did all the steps again and everythign worked out just fine for me now i had not removed any apks from the phone only installed wifi tether

okay to un root you device you need to go back to the folder where you droidxroot files normally
for me this was c:\droidxroot_v2
then do follow some steps from the root process

Run "adb push exploid /sqlite_stmt_journals/exploid"
Run "adb shell"
Run "cd sqlite_stmt_journals"
Run "chmod 755 exploid"
On your phone, navigate to a screen where you can switch wifi/bluetooth on/off easily (settings, or a home screen with a widget)
IMMEDIATELY after executing the next step, toggle wifi or bluetooth off and back on
Run "./exploid" and follow directions on screen. Once this completes you'll be back at a shell prompt.
Run "rootshell". You'll be prompted for a password.
Type in password "secretlol" and press Enter then you are root! (You'll know because your prompt will now be a "#" instead of "$")

now this is were things change instead of copying the files we will remove them

rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
rm /system/bin/su
rm /system/bin/busybox

finally remove the rootshell

rm /system/bin/rootshell
reboot

now keep in mind i did not remove and bloatware apps please try and too a wipe before attempting this if you removed bloatware to ensure it will come back as it should "

Happy Un-rooting if need to be ;)

Callidux
07-23-2010, 07:28 PM
For those wondering, unroot is NOT required for update (I can confirm, I just updated). However, certain apps (bloatware) that you might have removed ARE required for update. I'm guessing the apps directly affected by an update are the required ones. For me, I reinstalled:

CityID
CarDock
Blockbuster
Mobile 3G Hotspot
Visual Voicemail

to update to 604. AmazonMP3 and Skype are not required to update to 604.

genxgeek
07-23-2010, 10:08 PM
So, if I am to go in and rename apk files to zip is reinstalling them as simple as renaming them back to apk?

thenew3
07-24-2010, 02:24 AM
For those wondering, unroot is NOT required for update (I can confirm, I just updated). However, certain apps (bloatware) that you might have removed ARE required for update. I'm guessing the apps directly affected by an update are the required ones. For me, I reinstalled:

CityID
CarDock
Blockbuster
Mobile 3G Hotspot
Visual Voicemail

to update to 604. AmazonMP3 and Skype are not required to update to 604.

I'm having problems updating to 604. I think its the blockbuster app. I removed it, but then reinstalled it. however it won't start, just shows a black screen when I try to start the app. any idea where I can get another good blockbuster.apk file? thanks

hebertm1
07-24-2010, 08:59 AM
I had the same problem with blockbuster. To remove it from my phone I had just copied the .apk to my Sdcard. When I moved it back I got the black sreen as you mentioned. I went back to my Sdcard and this time installed the .apk that I had moved and this time it worked. You can get blockbuster from the market.

rgb24
07-24-2010, 11:16 AM
I'm having problems updating to 604. I think its the blockbuster app. I removed it, but then reinstalled it. however it won't start, just shows a black screen when I try to start the app. any idea where I can get another good blockbuster.apk file? thanks
If you removed it with root explorer you might have to change the permissions when you put it back, just long press on the app in system/app and then click on permissions and check the boxes that the other apps that work have checked.

xero2099
07-24-2010, 11:28 AM
if you used the command prompt to remove the programs how would you bring those back?

racingelting
07-24-2010, 11:38 AM
Successfully Un-Rooted. Thank you. I had no problems rooting or unrooting but I wanted to read up more so I can take full advantage of rooting, perhaps I will play with my spare Droid first that way if I brick it, it wont sting so bad. No to mention until roms etc come out other than removing bloat ware I really didnt need to root I guess. Thanks for all the great info on this site, I really look forward to learning more and using the full potential of the android operating system.

Jamie

areteagee
07-24-2010, 01:03 PM
if you used the command prompt to remove the programs how would you bring those back?

I found this link for all the default apps loaded on the droid x

http://www.chadhaney.com/droidXDefault/

imhalfawake
07-24-2010, 03:47 PM
I'm still new to this rooting thing for the droid x since it's my first android phone. My phone is already rooted but if I do a factory reset, does this make it unrooted? Or does it simply reinstall all the bloatware onto the phone?

mps623
07-24-2010, 05:14 PM
This was posted on Droid Forums by bmt626 (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/members/bmt626.html) . Unrooting the droidx - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/62916-unrooting-droidx.html)

How to Un-Root your Droid X.

"i am not to blame if you brick your phone by trying this but i just did all the steps again and everythign worked out just fine for me now i had not removed any apks from the phone only installed wifi tether

okay to un root you device you need to go back to the folder where you droidxroot files normally
for me this was c:\droidxroot_v2
then do follow some steps from the root process

Run "adb push exploid /sqlite_stmt_journals/exploid"
Run "adb shell"
Run "cd sqlite_stmt_journals"
Run "chmod 755 exploid"
On your phone, navigate to a screen where you can switch wifi/bluetooth on/off easily (settings, or a home screen with a widget)
IMMEDIATELY after executing the next step, toggle wifi or bluetooth off and back on
Run "./exploid" and follow directions on screen. Once this completes you'll be back at a shell prompt.
Run "rootshell". You'll be prompted for a password.
Type in password "secretlol" and press Enter then you are root! (You'll know because your prompt will now be a "#" instead of "$")

now this is were things change instead of copying the files we will remove them

rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
rm /system/bin/su
rm /system/bin/busybox

finally remove the rootshell

rm /system/bin/rootshell
reboot

now keep in mind i did not remove and bloatware apps please try and too a wipe before attempting this if you removed bloatware to ensure it will come back as it should "

Happy Un-rooting if need to be ;)

Will i beable to do this without adb? I can just use android terminal and use these same steps...thanks

SkyHawkEcks
07-24-2010, 10:03 PM
I used a terminal emulator to root.

Would I have to re-add Blockbuster, AmazonMP3, Kindle, Skype, and NFSShift to unroot? I need to do a hard reset.

thenew3
07-25-2010, 01:15 AM
I used a terminal emulator to root.

Would I have to re-add Blockbuster, AmazonMP3, Kindle, Skype, and NFSShift to unroot? I need to do a hard reset.

You can do a hard reset without unrooting. I have done this 3 times in the past 2 days. so I know it works.

you also don't need to add those apps back to hard reset.

bmt626
07-25-2010, 12:26 PM
If bloatware was removed does it come back when you wipe i never removed any apps so i was not able to put that in my write up

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

TWong1200
07-25-2010, 02:32 PM
If bloatware was removed does it come back when you wipe i never removed any apps so i was not able to put that in my write up

I'd like to know too.

Airmaxx23
07-25-2010, 07:51 PM
I'd like to know too.

If you remove apps and then do a reset the apps do not come back.

chucklesjh
07-26-2010, 03:58 PM
I'm still new to this rooting thing for the droid x since it's my first android phone. My phone is already rooted but if I do a factory reset, does this make it unrooted? Or does it simply reinstall all the bloatware onto the phone?
Factory resetting the phone does NOT reinstall all of the bloatware. If you try to do a factory reset on a phone that has a lot of the bloatware removed, you could brick it.

tonymoreno23
07-27-2010, 02:17 AM
( Very Important)

In order to successfully reinstall the bloatware you cannot just
reinstall the apps in the 'system/app folder' and call it finished work!,
but you must also change the PERMISSIONS so that the phone recognizes those apps as "system" applications,
and not just downloaded market apps.

** i do realize that this has already been mentioned in this thread, but there wasn't enough said about it
and, because it's imperative to succesfully apply updates.
it should be brought up again!

*Rather than retyping in my own words..
i'm going to simply re quote the instructions from another forum
by Humungus.

" ....................-Place the apk(s) of the apps on your sdcard.

-Use your chosen means to copy the apk(s) to /system/app (this will require making /system/app writable.
In Root Manager just press the R/W key when you're exploring /system/app).

-Click on the apk once it's in /system/app and install it.

-Now, you've installed the program, but the system won't see it as a system app unless you change it's permissions.
In Root Manager, long press on the app (in /system/app) and click on "permissions".
Then make sure that only the following boxes are clicked:

*User Read,
**User Write,
***Group Read,
****Others Read.

-Make sure you make /system/app read only again by clicking that box in the top right while you're exploring the folder.

-Reboot phone.

Now the apps should be loaded and the system should recognize them as system apps
(you can verify by opening Titanium and noticing they're in red).
This should make you good to go for whatever OTA comes......................"

Original Post:How to reinstall system apps _as_ system apps. - Android Forums (http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid-x/133158-how-reinstall-system-apps-_as_-system-apps.html)

CK9192000
07-27-2010, 03:49 AM
I rooted my phone and took out a few apps (blockbuster, amazon mp3, kindle and skype). I, like many others, probably are wondering if we are gonna need some or all of those to update to 2.2.

I know others have posted how to get apps back...but I checked the market and they are all there too. So...if we need them, they are there.

Or will that not work?

tonymoreno23
07-27-2010, 04:19 AM
I rooted my phone and took out a few apps (blockbuster, amazon mp3, kindle and skype). I, like many others, probably are wondering if we are gonna need some or all of those to update to 2.2.

I know others have posted how to get apps back...but I checked the market and they are all there too. So...if we need them, they are there.

Or will that not work?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No, it won't work.. because the apps you download from the market are saved to
'data/app' AND 'data/app_private' folders
~whereas System apps~
are located in the 'system/app' folder.

So, when an update becomes available to you
it will then try to update the apps you've since deleted from the system folder.
As you can imagine, if the apps aren't there,
the update will have nowhere to attach the updated versions to.
so it get's stuck, and boot loops!

GDP
07-27-2010, 07:46 AM
interestingly enough I used adb to copy the .apks I deleted and used titanium backup .... or maybe it was Astro to reinstall the apps. I had one boot loop after trying to open one of those apps but it booted up normally (thank god I had a heart attak). I checked the permissions of one of the system apps I didnt deleted and they show only -r-. The same as the ones I put back now.

I even did a factory reset and it works fine. So im not sure if somehow the files I used (which were the ones provided in the .zip) were already set with the proper permissions or what.

( Very Important)

In order to successfully reinstall the bloatware you cannot just
reinstall the apps in the 'system/app folder' and call it finished work!,
but you must also change the PERMISSIONS so that the phone recognizes those apps as "system" applications,
and not just downloaded market apps.

** i do realize that this has already been mentioned in this thread, but there wasn't enough said about it
and, because it's imperative to succesfully apply updates.
it should be brought up again!

*Rather than retyping in my own words..
i'm going to simply re quote the instructions from another forum
by Humungus.

" ....................-Place the apk(s) of the apps on your sdcard.

-Use your chosen means to copy the apk(s) to /system/app (this will require making /system/app writable.
In Root Manager just press the R/W key when you're exploring /system/app).

-Click on the apk once it's in /system/app and install it.

-Now, you've installed the program, but the system won't see it as a system app unless you change it's permissions.
In Root Manager, long press on the app (in /system/app) and click on "permissions".
Then make sure that only the following boxes are clicked:

*User Read,
**User Write,
***Group Read,
****Others Read.

-Make sure you make /system/app read only again by clicking that box in the top right while you're exploring the folder.

-Reboot phone.

Now the apps should be loaded and the system should recognize them as system apps
(you can verify by opening Titanium and noticing they're in red).
This should make you good to go for whatever OTA comes......................"

Original Post:How to reinstall system apps _as_ system apps. - Android Forums (http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid-x/133158-how-reinstall-system-apps-_as_-system-apps.html)

CK9192000
07-27-2010, 10:24 PM
That link from the droidforums gives a link to a list of default .apks http://www.chadhaney.com/droidXDefault/

I got 3 of my 4 that I deleted...but it doesn't have Kindle...Anyone have a location of where to find it?

And btw, I did that list and it worked to make the .apks a system app again. Just gotta buy root explorer!

tonymoreno23
07-27-2010, 10:53 PM
That link from the droidforums gives a link to a list of default .apks http://www.chadhaney.com/droidXDefault/

I got 3 of my 4 that I deleted...but it doesn't have Kindle...Anyone have a location of where to find it?

And btw, I did that list and it worked to make the .apks a system app again. Just gotta buy root explorer!

The kindle app is properly named 'redding-7648-signed-zipped.apk'
and, is located within http://www.chadhaney.com/droidXDefault/

CK9192000
07-27-2010, 11:18 PM
Ah, ty sir. You have been helpful!

industrialwaste
07-30-2010, 05:16 PM
This will probably be a useful thread to have in my history once we get the 2.2 update. I'm kind of nervous about it right now, but we'll see how it goes soon enough.

iamfiretruck
08-03-2010, 04:58 PM
I have rooted my droidx and removed lots of bloat ware and have a bunch of root only programs and settings changed.

What is the EASIEST way to get back to how the phone came from the factory so I can start over?

mixitall
08-05-2010, 01:50 PM
i just rooted my x using the quick 1 botton method.. called (easy root).. is there a way to unroot from that ????? :thinking::thinking: please help...

Abe21599
08-08-2010, 04:14 PM
i just rooted my x using the quick 1 botton method.. called (easy root).. is there a way to unroot from that ????? :thinking::thinking: please help...

read the first post...

yurdle
08-08-2010, 04:49 PM
I have rooted my droidx and removed lots of bloat ware and have a bunch of root only programs and settings changed.

What is the EASIEST way to get back to how the phone came from the factory so I can start over?

Sbf is available now :) can try that

dbett4
10-31-2010, 03:34 PM
is there anyway to do a one click unroot? if not how do i use this sbf thing

schecters
11-02-2010, 08:48 AM
Why do you need to run the exploit again when you already have root access?

...it seems like you should be able to just elevate to root privs, remount system as r/w and delete the mentioned files.

Josh

Hostility6
11-05-2010, 03:39 PM
Unrooted with super one click but I still have superuser icon. Confirmed I have no root by trying to open shootme, rom mngr etc.. all saying no root access. Powered down phone and icon is still there, tried to drop into trash but no luck, any ideas to remove??

Hostility6
11-05-2010, 03:49 PM
^^^ Never mind just tried to drop into trash again and deleted this time Hhmm..??

Anyhow, I read somewhere you couldn't delete by just dropping into trash, that would be a negative cause I just did, the second time that is :confused:

ckdg888
11-14-2010, 09:52 PM
If i Root with one program can i un-root with a different one?

Abe21599
11-14-2010, 10:57 PM
If i Root with one program can i un-root with a different one?

in theory, yes, but not positive it will work.

ckdg888
11-15-2010, 12:20 AM
in theory, yes, but not positive it will work.

I rooted my DX a week and a half before z4root came out, and i was origonally looking for a one-click rooting method as i am still fairly new. In order to be safer i could/should un-root with the method i rooted with and re-root with z4root if that was the program i wanted to use down the line?

Ryan M
11-15-2010, 12:25 AM
you could do that seems like a pain but it would work for your goal of having the same root app for when you want to unroot IMO the best way to unroot is to just sbf but thats just my opinion

Les
11-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Quick ?... How do i go back to factory if i did not back up the original software? I just have rooted back up. Nothing from original...

Ryan M
11-28-2010, 05:48 AM
Sbf

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

habibihany
12-10-2010, 04:06 AM
so whats the name for visual voicemail. thats the only one i havnt been able to find! i really would like to update!

wicked
12-10-2010, 04:11 AM
so whats the name for visual voicemail. thats the only one i havnt been able to find! i really would like to update!

I believe it's Vvm.apk try checking here Full list of apps and apks that are removable and non-removable with root
(http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root/131207-full-list-apps-apks-removable-non-removable-root.html)

Beeray
12-18-2010, 01:44 PM
I have Droid x rooted 2.2 leaked version 2.3.9 and cannot seem to update even manually. I wanted to flash the phone but not sure which sbf to use and I'm terrified to do it. Any suggestions?

Beeray

wicked
12-18-2010, 04:13 PM
You will need the 2.1 SBF then do the .340 OTA update afterwards
head over to rootzwiki for DroidX and in the middle of the page you'll find the 2.1 SBF

fbcalidude
12-18-2010, 06:57 PM
Hi i accepted the new 2.2.1 update now my root doesnt work. I read that to apply new update with z4 you must unroot. Well i tried but cant do it maybe it is because i had bloatware frozen but since i dont have superuser permission anymore i cant use titanium backup to unfreeze could someone help me getting my phone unfreeze unrooted and rooted again please thank you

wicked
12-18-2010, 07:02 PM
a little confused here, did you succesfully update to 2.2.1?
No need to unroot at all
by taking the update you will lose root. You will have to reroot with z4, it might take several times for your phone to root.
If it fails, do a battery pull and then try rerooting again. as many times possible

Beeray
12-18-2010, 08:25 PM
You will need the 2.1 SBF then do the .340 OTA update afterwards
head over to rootzwiki for DroidX and in the middle of the page you'll find the 2.1 SBF

Do I have to unistall bootstrap? Is bootstrap the reason for not getting the updates?

Beeray

wicked
12-18-2010, 09:37 PM
possibly, any altered system files will cause for the update not to take
I had bootstrap installed when I took the update and it went fine

joshdin
02-13-2011, 03:39 PM
I have a rooted X that was reset without unrooting that I received form someone else I would like to root it again but cannot get all the stuff off of it for it to respond correctly. How do you get to the above destination to run all this and remove the programs off so that will be possible?

VetteVert
10-16-2011, 06:34 PM
Any updates on un-rooting the current D3 rooting method? I can't simply do a factory reset, can I?

BHuber09
10-16-2011, 06:36 PM
Unknown about unrooting with that method
However I do know that a factory reset will leave root on your device.

FreeMyMoto!!!

Leach19m
10-16-2011, 06:40 PM
Any updates on un-rooting the current D3 rooting method? I can't simply do a factory reset, can I?

It should have an unroot option of you run it again

(V) {;,,;} (V) < Woopwoopwoopwoopwoop
Scuttering along like Zoidberg, on the move