PDA

View Full Version : Hulu And Netflix Coming to Android

Backnblack
01-07-2011, 12:45 PM
http://static.droidnetwork.net/dgstorm/df/Hulu-plus-logo.jpg
Samsung unofficially announced at CES yesterday that Hulu is coming to Android with their Hulu Plus service. There have been no formal announcements from Hulu themselves. Interestingly, this wasn't the only 'movie on demand' company to be 'outed' by someone else at CES this year; Netflix has shown up on the LG Revolution phone. You can see another video below of the LG Revolution demonstrated, (yes another one). The sales guy showing it off is a bit annoying, but the cool teaser is the Netflix icon on the phone.

http://static.droidnetwork.net/dgstorm/df/Netflix-Logo.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ymDAuyiMds&feature=player_embedded
Movies on our smartphones? Of course we want to watch movies on our zippy fast 4G LTE network... isn't that what it's best at? I wonder if Hulu and Netflix mind that other companies are spoiling all their press release fun...

Source: Phandroid (http://phandroid.com/2011/01/06/hulu-plus-for-android-announced-at-samsungs-ces-presser/) and AndroidCentral (http://www.androidcentral.com/netflix-android-shows-lg-reolution)

jing
01-07-2011, 03:44 PM
R we gona get netflix on all android devices

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

desicrator
01-07-2011, 04:08 PM
There are ways in the forums to use Hulu on phones. Can't find now tho.

Sent from DX so excuse spelling and grammar

mikeinrichmond
01-07-2011, 04:14 PM
There are ways in the forums to use Hulu on phones. Can't find now tho.

Sent from DX so excuse spelling and grammar

IIRC I used the directions over on the droid forum which is a workaround to get Hulu to think you are on a computer instead of a phone. It's not as polished as a formal app would be, but it does work.

Backnblack
01-07-2011, 04:21 PM
IIRC I used the directions over on the droid forum which is a workaround to get Hulu to think you are on a computer instead of a phone. It's not as polished as a formal app would be, but it does work.

That is a poor work around that does not give everyone the same result.

mikeinrichmond
01-07-2011, 04:28 PM
That is a poor work around that does not give everyone the same result.

Yea, saw a few posts where folks couldn't get it to work. Just one of those things I guess. I'm much more interested in the Netflix app, so I can finally leave the ipod touch in my son's room where he is a Bejeweled maniac..:)

jmckemy
02-13-2011, 01:13 PM
Has anyone heard the official release date for the Netflix app?

armedmonkey
02-13-2011, 02:58 PM
I'd like to give those hulu instructions a shot. All I've seen was "set your user agent to PC" or whatever.

mikeinrichmond
02-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Has anyone heard the official release date for the Netflix app?

Here's the latest that I know of:

Netflix Android App Headed to Qualcomm Snapdragon Phones First? - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog (http://www.droid-life.com/2011/01/27/netflix-android-app-headed-to-qualcomm-snapdragon-phones-first/)

gunner1982
02-13-2011, 05:14 PM
Yea well if their gonna charge us for hulu premium they better damn well charge all pc users no matter what I mean what's fair is fair right

gunner1982
02-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Oh yea and I tried netflix on my xbox and I must say I was really disappointed with the selection of the instant stream of movies and lack of high def content but that's been a while ago I might try it again when they start getting bluray quality video support

hlaalu
02-15-2011, 01:57 PM
Oh yea and I tried netflix on my xbox and I must say I was really disappointed with the selection of the instant stream of movies and lack of high def content but that's been a while ago I might try it again when they start getting bluray quality video support

It all depends on your internet connection. The slower the connection, the lower the video quality.

TheFandroid
02-23-2011, 02:42 PM
Yea well if their gonna charge us for hulu premium they better damn well charge all pc users no matter what I mean what's fair is fair right

I think they will charge the pc users, if they don't I'm gonna be a little angry.

TheFandroid
02-23-2011, 02:43 PM

I had Netflix on my 360 and it sucked. Next to no HD, and the selection was horrid.

Blueduck3285
02-23-2011, 06:23 PM

I think they will charge the pc users, if they don't I'm gonna be a little angry.

Hulu as it stands right now, gives access to content to pc users for free. There is a premium service which gets rid of ads and such. The thing of it is, there are enough pc uses to justify this method. May not be the case with androids, with all the coding and stuff involved that, hulu may see it that to recover those costs with so few android uses compared to pc's that they would have to charge android uses for the service. Not saying I like it but thats my guess.

gunner1982
02-23-2011, 06:26 PM
Well if that's the case then I guess it will be between a 1 time flat fee or a monthly / annual subscription

sent from the liberated droid army

mikeinrichmond
02-23-2011, 07:14 PM
Hulu as it stands right now, gives access to content to pc users for free. There is a premium service which gets rid of ads and such. ...

Actually that's my biggest complaint and why I wouldn't pay for Hulu Premium; you still have the commercials in the broadcast. Never a commercial in anything on Netflix.

Blueduck3285
02-25-2011, 08:36 PM
Actually that's my biggest complaint and why I wouldn't pay for Hulu Premium; you still have the commercials in the broadcast. Never a commercial in anything on Netflix.

I don't have july premium, figured it wad like netflix. So screw premium...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

gunner1982
02-26-2011, 06:07 AM

A friend at work said he tried the hulu premium on his PC and they lie u still have ads so he went back to netflix I will probly do Netflix when they get some decent bluray quality content and not just a bunch of old movies from the 80's lol till then no one can touch $1.50 bluray rentals from redbox

sent from the liberated droid army

jagler04
03-18-2011, 11:31 AM
i think with hulu plus you get access to recent shows and do not have to wait the usual 8 days for some of them to come out. I think you get them the day after they air.

TekWarren
03-18-2011, 11:52 AM
I'll add to the raised dead topic LOL... I am more and more unimpressed with netflix. The quality is good enough on my xbox but most of the time my wife and I can't find anything remotely recent. She ends up saying "pick whatever" and it ends up being movie roulette with a lot of sucky ones that we give up on. I do like Hulu only because there are shows that I don't have time watch in the evenings and they are available pretty quickly after airing whereas netflix releases seasons at a time...which is nice unless you can't wait. I'll probably dump netflix and try Hulu when it becomes available on xbox and android...hope it happens soon for both services.

Snow02
03-18-2011, 12:46 PM
The only way to currently get netflix on android is via playon. And it works great provided you have a desktop and a decent internet connection.

Don't count on the netflix app ever working on the X.

gunner1982
03-18-2011, 03:00 PM
I don't know about hulu but I really like the convience of netflix

SPx
03-22-2011, 08:07 AM
+1 for sucky movie roulette

Sent from my X w/Apex 1.4

cleopete
03-29-2011, 12:37 AM
I'm not going to pay Hulu to watch commercials. That's just crazy. I have a comp on the TV and all of our viewing is streamed. Hulu is for watching current shows, the free version releases them the day after they air same as Plus. Plus lets you watch the whole season, free limits you to 5 eps. in most cases. If you want to watch current tv this is your choice. There's also Joost, but I haven't checked that out in a while, they had a few things Hulu didn't. Netflix is essentially a disc rental service. You can't really stream anything that doesn't already exist in commercial disc form. Complaining that you can't watch last night's Idol on Netflix is like whining at Taco Bell for not having pho on the menu. I've recently joined the Xbox world and Netflix works great (I have a 10MB connection). HD is flawless, for shows that are actually in HD. A lot of older stuff has never been released in HD so it doesn't make much sense to expect them to stream it that way.

I had Hulu working until Froyo came out, but it was choppy and not much fun. I've been wanting a Netflix app, but I can't really see myself watching something on a phone when I could just as easily whip out the laptop. I'm hoping if Netflix pulls this off, there may be hope of getting to an app for Ubuntu, and at last we'll be a M$-free zone. I'm not holding my breath though.

xxprodigyxx11
03-29-2011, 01:30 AM
You pay the cable company / satalite provider to watch commercials

Backnblack
03-29-2011, 05:00 AM

Incorrect, You pay them for access to the channels that have commercials.

cleopete
03-30-2011, 01:45 PM

I don't have cable or satellite for that very reason. I did have Dish for a year with the DVR, and I liked the 30 sec forward button a lot. I just couldn't justify spending that kind of money to have all those channels and not have squat to watch. Plus, it offended me deeply to be forced to pay them an extra $5 a month for the crime of not having a land line. They eventually told me if I plugged the receiver into my network they would waive that fee. Turns out the whole point of connection was to encourage me to spend money on pay-per-view. So I have to pay an extra fee for the right to not buy extra services? What finally drove me to build a TV comp was when it took them three months to stop charging the no-phone-fee, yet when I canceled the trial HBO, they disconnected it before I was off the phone. Screw the telecoms.

TekWarren
03-31-2011, 08:20 AM
I haven't paid for tv service in quite some time so I don't mind paying a few bucks a month for access to the shows that do interest me. The few bucks it costs is worth it to me to have access to watch when I want, where I want, on what device I want. I can't believe the outrageous prices some people pay for HD programing, I guess I don't sit in front of the tv as much as others do to make those high prices worth it. I am also not to concerned about the commercials as short as they are.

ras0787
03-31-2011, 03:47 PM
I can't wait til they have netflix on here! I'll be sneaking in movies and tv shows while at work! hahaha! Anyone have any ideas if there is a time frame on the release yet?

Mike7143
03-31-2011, 04:46 PM
DVR, and I liked the 30 sec forward button a lot.

Obviously if you want more than 20 channels you need cable/satellite service. But don't pay for DVR! I have a tv tuner card in my PC and an Xbox 360 as my extender... CAN'T live without it now. Basically tivo for free plus all your music, photos, radio, videos, and movies. I would recommend Windows 7, a tuner card, and extender to ANYONE. And another plus, Xbox has Netflix built in as well as does W7 media center. Sorry this is OT from the while Android thing. Kinda similar? lol

TekWarren
04-01-2011, 07:03 AM
Second what Mike is saying. I was doing the same thing for a while. I setup a headless laptop on my home network to run windows media center and used a HD HomeRun network tuner...still have the tuner just don't really use anymore.