PDA

View Full Version : My Otterbox Defender (Bad) Review

noXcuse
01-07-2011, 12:52 AM
I put my order in for an Otterbox Defender, two months before they even came out. When the box came in the mail, I was stoked.

First thoughts:
Beastly case, that looked like it could withstand anything I put it through. Was kind of skeptical about the built in screen protector. It had a dull sheen to it, and I liked the crystal clear look better. The belt holster was definitely going to come in handy. I liked the fact that it doubled as a kickstand.

After having this case for a few months, here's my thoughts on it. It's no doubt a tough case. The first thing I noticed about it, when I snapped the inner shell together, it wasn't 100% tight against the phone. Immediately after I put the outer rubber shell on, I noticed that every time I pressed the Menu button, the inner shell kind of squeaks. I ended up taking the rubber off, squeezing the inner shell together, and putting scotch tape on it to hold it tight together, and keep it from squeaking.

Next thing I noticed about it, the screen protector was really starting to get on my nerves. I had to press harder than normal, to get the screen to respond. It was like the protector didn't sit on the screen. Something else with the protector, going outside in the cold from the heat would build condensation between the protector and the screen. Just enough so when you touch the screen, it responded in all kinds of funky ways. I ended up ripping it out, and putting a real protector directly on the screen.

In the 2 months or so that I've had it, the rubber outer shell has lost its tightness to the inner shell. It is loose on the inner shell, and sometimes pops right off the earpiece. It's gotten so loose at the bottom, that the lights from the keys show above the rubber.

One thing that really annoys me, is the fact that the inner shell wraps to the very edge of the screen, and sits too high off the screen. When in portrait, I cannot hit the "P" on the keyboard. Dragging icons and widgets around to different home screens is a hassle. Better off just trashing it, and adding a new one to whatever screen you wanted to move it to. In order to get the notification bar down, I have to rock my finger on edge to be able to grab it. Very annoying.

The camera buttons and plug covers are awesome. The buttons stick up nice, and feel great. I've never had an issue with the plugs not seating right. Sometimes its hard to open the charger plug, but I deal with it.

Something else I do like, is it's absolutely tough. I can pretty much throw my phone across the room, and feel confident that nothing is going to happen to my phone.

Overall decent case for great protection against shock. Would I ever buy another one? Absolutely not. Very impracticable for everyday use. In my opinion, the design could've been alot better, for the amount of time it took them to start producing them. At this point, the only reason I'm keeping it, is because of the holster. Its very easy to snap the phone in and out. And I can keep the ringer volume low, since the speaker faces out. With my leather holster, I have to turn it way up to hear it. Hopefully Otterbox comes up with a better design for the new phones coming out. I personally, won't buy another product from them.

PS. I was also a little upset the other day, when I took the rubber outer shell off to wash it, turned it inside out, and seen a tiny stamp in it that said "Made In China". Figures.

Sent from DarkSlide 4.1

jeverts
01-07-2011, 01:12 PM
Wow, certainly a different experience then me. I just pulled up the keyboard and with my thick fingers easily strike the P. All the other negatives you mention and you're still going to use it? That, surprises me.

noXcuse
01-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Wow, certainly a different experience then me. I just pulled up the keyboard and with my thick fingers easily strike the P. All the other negatives you mention and you're still going to use it? That, surprises me.

Not sure how big your fingers are, but I have bear paws man. Lol. I wear a 13.5 ring. My thumbs are huge. I get joked all the time about it, cause I'm 6' tall and only 190 pounds. The only reason I'm gonna keep using it, is because I need my phone on me at all times. And with the work that I do, I need the ruggedness. It's not uncommon for me to get into a knock down drag out fight at work. I know you're wondering now. Lol. I'm a cop in a city where the police aren't liked very much. Lots of crime. So yea, I'm keeping it for now.

Sent from DarkSlide 4.1

JLMitch
01-07-2011, 02:27 PM
Sorry to hear about the screen protector issues. Maybe you got a first run or something? Mine sits well on the screen and the screen is just as responsive as if there was nothing on it. Even though you put a different protector on, I can see dust and other things working themselves into the gaps.

Your review actually sounds like the Defender I had for my Storm.

I've read good things about the Trident Kraken. I don't think the holster for it is available yet, but I think that's the only comparable case out there.

maddog0331
01-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Yeah got kind of a different problem with the same case. My shock case is loose and the silicone case is very loose. I have contacted customer support if you haven't done so do it. The reason being if your case is not older than a year they will replace it. Mine is being replace but I don’t know if I'm gonna put it back on the DX. I have been using the Kreken case and I can tell you that in my own opinion is better than the otterbox. Only downside to it is the holster but I know that they are working on one. Also if you get tired of the silicone case they sell different colors. Hope this helps even if you only get it replace.

Sent from my DROIDX

noXcuse
01-07-2011, 04:11 PM
I might give them a ring. If I got a free replacement, then I'd try again. Wouldn't buy another one at this point. I have been watching and reading the reviews on the Kracken. Looks nice, and I really dig the different colors you can get. Even though I'd only rock the gray one at work. What's wrong with the holster? Or just hasn't come in yet?

Sent from DarkSlide 4.1

maddog0331
01-07-2011, 06:01 PM
The holster hasn't come out yet and the one from otterbox doesn't fit. I tried another one too made by seido I believe but the only thing that I personally didn't like was the fact that the hard buttons were not covered at all by the silicone or hard case making it really hard for me to get to them. The case was nice but I didn't like that because everytime that I wanted to use them was a big problem for me. They are supposed to come out with the holster some time this month. I'm hoping they do being that I like to carry my phone in a holster.

Sent from my DROIDX

blackwater
01-09-2011, 04:34 PM
tiny stamp in it that said "Made In China". Figures.I find this funny because the the phone says" Made in China" too.

noXcuse
01-09-2011, 05:46 PM
I find this funny because the the phone says" Made in China" too.

lmao. Where's it say that? Under the battery? It' kills me how "American" companies venture out and have their products made in China, just to save $0.30. I mean, really? Some US company couldn't make an injection molded silicone phone cover? Or a stamped piece of aluminum for the phone itself? Just makes no sense to me. I also own a performance parts store for ATV's and dirtbikes. Wiseco split from HotRods, and now Wiseco subs out the crankshafts for engines, to a company in China. Probably 90% of the Wiseco crankshatfs bought in the last 2 years have failed. They use low quality steel, and the welds are junk. Pretty much goes with anything made in China. They're more worried about quantity, not quality. That's becoming a big problem for the American companies that use Chinese parts.

JeepDroid
01-09-2011, 08:24 PM
sorry about your phone case but im glad that you said something about the defender case as far as duration goes. I have the commuter case and im having issue with the port covers. They dont stay in place long enough to cover anything. im thinking about getting a seidio case or the trident. not two thumbs down but definitely one. I wish they had a better product. looks like another company that establishes itself and lets their products slide

hinds90
01-13-2011, 07:16 AM
I definately agree with the inner shell being squeaky. Its only the lower left corner though. Does everyone have this problem because I was thinking of getting another 1 under warrenty? It really bugs me sometimes because I have to press the menu button harder than normal.

Jawcase
01-13-2011, 11:57 AM
I put my order in for an Otterbox Defender, two months before they even came out. When the box came in the mail, I was stoked.

First thoughts:
Beastly case, that looked like it could withstand anything I put it through. Was kind of skeptical about the built in screen protector. It had a dull sheen to it, and I liked the crystal clear look better. The belt holster was definitely going to come in handy. I liked the fact that it doubled as a kickstand.

After having this case for a few months, here's my thoughts on it. It's no doubt a tough case. The first thing I noticed about it, when I snapped the inner shell together, it wasn't 100% tight against the phone. Immediately after I put the outer rubber shell on, I noticed that every time I pressed the Menu button, the inner shell kind of squeaks. I ended up taking the rubber off, squeezing the inner shell together, and putting scotch tape on it to hold it tight together, and keep it from squeaking.

Next thing I noticed about it, the screen protector was really starting to get on my nerves. I had to press harder than normal, to get the screen to respond. It was like the protector didn't sit on the screen. Something else with the protector, going outside in the cold from the heat would build condensation between the protector and the screen. Just enough so when you touch the screen, it responded in all kinds of funky ways. I ended up ripping it out, and putting a real protector directly on the screen.

In the 2 months or so that I've had it, the rubber outer shell has lost its tightness to the inner shell. It is loose on the inner shell, and sometimes pops right off the earpiece. It's gotten so loose at the bottom, that the lights from the keys show above the rubber.

One thing that really annoys me, is the fact that the inner shell wraps to the very edge of the screen, and sits too high off the screen. When in portrait, I cannot hit the "P" on the keyboard. Dragging icons and widgets around to different home screens is a hassle. Better off just trashing it, and adding a new one to whatever screen you wanted to move it to. In order to get the notification bar down, I have to rock my finger on edge to be able to grab it. Very annoying.

The camera buttons and plug covers are awesome. The buttons stick up nice, and feel great. I've never had an issue with the plugs not seating right. Sometimes its hard to open the charger plug, but I deal with it.

Something else I do like, is it's absolutely tough. I can pretty much throw my phone across the room, and feel confident that nothing is going to happen to my phone.

Overall decent case for great protection against shock. Would I ever buy another one? Absolutely not. Very impracticable for everyday use. In my opinion, the design could've been alot better, for the amount of time it took them to start producing them. At this point, the only reason I'm keeping it, is because of the holster. Its very easy to snap the phone in and out. And I can keep the ringer volume low, since the speaker faces out. With my leather holster, I have to turn it way up to hear it. Hopefully Otterbox comes up with a better design for the new phones coming out. I personally, won't buy another product from them.

PS. I was also a little upset the other day, when I took the rubber outer shell off to wash it, turned it inside out, and seen a tiny stamp in it that said "Made In China". Figures.

Sent from DarkSlide 4.1

I actually had talks with the factory that makes the otterbox case, there quote was incredibly cheap, it was very tempting to use them. I ended up not going with them because they didnt know what a rubberized coating was.

Evil
01-15-2011, 07:06 PM
My otterbox defender is bullet proof, which is the reason I bought it. I have broken every screen on every phone or PDA Ive ever owned in 20 years. I have no problems with the functionality. I bought a big smart phone which is now slightly bigger. In the 6 weeks Ive had it, I am not the least bit disappointed in my choice. As a retired engineer, I am very happy with the design, and the form fit and functionality.

jkt
04-23-2011, 09:39 AM
I would call otterbox and complain. I just received my otterbox defender about a month ago and love it. I have not had any of the problems you have mentioned. Also, I just installed the Verizon ext. battery and my case still fits. I was surprised. From a brother in blue.

MutantCheese
04-23-2011, 10:26 AM
OP, you should have gotten a Dell Streak 5 with you big mitts it would have been the perfect size for you.

mandog202
04-23-2011, 08:57 PM
my only problems were that the buttons are hard to press (solved with a piece of thick paper) and the screen protector that i ripped out after a day, but I get ocd over anything covering the screen at all so it wasnt the cases fault.

TheFandroid
04-23-2011, 09:32 PM
I definately agree with the inner shell being squeaky. Its only the lower left corner though. Does everyone have this problem because I was thinking of getting another 1 under warrenty? It really bugs me sometimes because I have to press the menu button harder than normal.

Definitely have to press the buttons harder, but the case is made for durability, not really to be easier to use the device. I have the same squeaking most of the time as well.

gunner1982
04-23-2011, 09:36 PM
I layered a couple pieces of electrical tape on the inside of the back cover as not to cover the speaker and it got rid of my squeak and made the buttons easier to press

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums