PDA

View Full Version : Motorola Droid Bionic announced for Verizon

Garemlin
01-05-2011, 06:47 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/01/motorola-droid-bionic-01-05-2011.jpg

Jan. 05, 2011

LAS VEGAS and BASKING RIDGE, N.J. – Verizon Wireless and Motorola Mobility, Inc. (NYSE: MMI), today unveiled DROID™ BIONIC, a powerful new Android™ smartphone.

Packing a dual core processor with each core running at 1GHz, delivering up to two GHz of processing power, and 512 MB RAM, the sleekly designed DROID BIONIC smartphone with 4G LTE delivers a mobile Internet experience that's up to 10 times faster than 3G. This means consumers can stream their favorite music and the latest TV shows with unparalleled quality experience. DROID BIONIC also races through loading of complex web pages and media that take advantage of Adobe® Flash® Player and HTML5, rendering graphics faster than previous generation single-core devices.

Motorola's DROID BIONIC gives new meaning to the word "socialize" by delivering multiple ways for customers to stay connected. With the device's front-facing VGA camera and See What I See video feature, consumers can share experiences – either via Wi-Fi or 4G – with family, friends and co-workers. A rear-facing 8-megapixel camera also allows consumers to capture their favorite pictures and videos.

DROID BIONIC's multiplayer gaming capabilities allow consumers to challenge friends to live peer-to-peer gaming, viewed through the device's 4.3-inch qHD quality screen that delivers console-quality graphics. DROID BIONIC's HDMI connectivity also enables consumers to connect the device to their HD televisions to experience their favorite games, as well as purchased HD content, in full 1080p. And for multi-taskers, DROID 4G's Mirror Mode function enables simultaneous streaming of video to the TV and on the device.

As a fully featured work device, DROID BIONIC comes equipped with corporate email, remote wipe and data security and encryption capabilities IT departments appreciate. DROID BIONIC also features productivity tools such as Quickoffice® for document review and editing, full calendar management, one-click access to conference calling, and a full suite of Google applications and services.

"DROID BIONIC brings to life the speed and power of Verizon's 4G LTE network, giving consumers an unrivaled mobile experience," said Marni Walden, vice president and chief marketing officer for Verizon Wireless. "Whether downloading movies in minutes, connecting with friends or co-workers through video conferencing, or blazing through the Internet, Motorola's DROID BIONIC is what the 4G LTE experience is all about."

"DROID BIONIC is the epitome of speed, providing consumers with instantaneous access to their personal and work content, anytime and anyplace," said Alain Mutricy, senior vice president of portfolio and device product management, Motorola Mobility. "By combining such a powerful mobile device with the performance and capabilities of Verizon's 4G LTE network, we're empowering consumers to define how they want to live their mobile lifestyles."

The Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Mobile Broadband network, launched in December 2010, is the fastest, most advanced 4G network in the United States, providing speeds up to 10 times faster than Verizon Wireless' 3G network. Verizon Wireless' 4G LTE Mobile Broadband network currently reaches one-third of all Americans, with plans to expand the network to the company's entire 3G coverage area over the next three years.

For more information about Verizon Wireless' 4G LTE network, visit Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, 4G LTE network with the Best Cell Phone Service - Verizon Wireless (http://www.verizonwrieless.com/lte) and for more information about Verizon Wireless at CES please visit www.verizonwireless.com/ces or follow us on twitter at Verizon Wireless (VerizonWireless) on Twitter (http://www.twitter.com/verizonwireless).

For more information about Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, 4G LTE network with the Best Cell Phone Service - Verizon Wireless (http://www.verizonwireless.com).

About Verizon Wireless

Verizon Wireless operates the nation's fastest and most advanced 4G network and largest and most reliable 3G network, and serves more than 93 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 80,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visit Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, 4G LTE network with the Best Cell Phone Service - Verizon Wireless (http://www.verizonwireless.com). To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.

About Motorola Mobility
Motorola Mobility, Inc. (NYSE:MMI) fuses innovative technology with human insights to create experiences that simplify, connect and enrich people's lives. Our portfolio includes converged mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets; wireless accessories; end-to-end video and data delivery; and management solutions, including set-tops and data-access devices. For more information, visit motorola.com/mobility.

source: Engadget

jloya
01-05-2011, 06:49 PM
seeexxxxayyyy

wicked
01-05-2011, 07:04 PM
That's nice!

AirJordan
01-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Too bad I still have about a year and a half before I can upgrade again... lol.

Fireguy553
01-05-2011, 07:40 PM
That looks awesome!

FilletMinion
01-05-2011, 07:44 PM
Who wants to buy a droid x?

6thgear
01-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Time to sell my dx, just didn't know it would be this soon!

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

Garemlin
01-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Word around the campfire is this may sport vanilla android and an unlocked bootloader. Purely speculation so don't kill the messenger if it is blurred up and locked down.

eljoker
01-05-2011, 08:03 PM
So let's take bets on the ram.

512mb or 1GB. Different sites are reporting diffrent stories. Non the less im buying one.

Getsome122
01-05-2011, 08:03 PM
this phone would be announced two weeks after i switch to a droid X. lol. why couldnt my BB have lasted just a few months longer?

royolpunk
01-05-2011, 08:10 PM
this phone would be announced two weeks after i switch to a droid X. lol. why couldnt my BB have lasted just a few months longer?

Return it right now, you have a 30 day return/exchange policy

gd_007
01-05-2011, 08:13 PM
Let's hope the battery life/memory management has been improved.

I still think it's "sad" that the Verizon guys recommend a 3rd party App (Advanced Task Killer) as a "solution"...but I digress ..

New phone sounds awesome.

-GD

Garemlin
01-05-2011, 08:16 PM

512mb or 1GB. Different sites are reporting diffrent stories. Non the less im buying one.

Considering the fact that the Motorola Atrix which was just announced today for AT&T has 1GB, I'd put my money on the same for the Bionic.

droiding
01-05-2011, 08:18 PM
That's all me baby! !!!!!!!!can't wait thought it was etna?

TimX
01-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Working my son right now to take my Dx and I'll take his upcoming upgrade to get this beast

royolpunk
01-05-2011, 08:30 PM
Working my son right now to take my Dx and I'll take his upcoming upgrade to get this beast

LOLOLOL how cruel of you. Dw I take all my familys upgrades too;).

vessej
01-05-2011, 08:35 PM
when?

Garemlin
01-05-2011, 08:35 PM
I am eligible for an annual upgrade right now and really want to use it before the 16th so I don't lose the NE2. But there is nothing to upgrade to. I wish this was coming out next week.

WugFresh
01-05-2011, 08:39 PM
Omg!!!! 2 GHz processor, html5 support.. verizon 4G. That means this phone can run full scale applications over the web. The future is now.

Anyone want a DROIDX?

{{ WugFresh }}

JeepDroid
01-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Moto site says only 1ghz

royolpunk
01-05-2011, 08:45 PM
Moto site says only 1ghz

Its dual core,which means each core is running at 1ghz

C Dippa
01-05-2011, 08:45 PM
Dual core 1 Ghz = 2Ghz

WugFresh
01-05-2011, 08:46 PM
Moto says dual core.
1+1=2

{{ WugFresh }}

WugFresh
01-05-2011, 08:46 PM
Lol.. triple teamed.

They could have made it a little bit different than the iPhone though.. I mean... its practically identical.

I also think this means.. say goodbye to ginerbread, DROIDX user's... wouldn't you say so?

{{ WugFresh }}

xrazedx
01-05-2011, 08:52 PM

Lol, I may have to do this on a family member as well. Im the only one who actually uses the upgrades.

Swyped n sent from my X

psychotic_penguin
01-05-2011, 09:00 PM
The specs look good, but rumors are yet another locked down bootloader

AirJordan
01-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Word around the campfire is this may sport vanilla android and an unlocked bootloader. Purely speculation so don't kill the messenger if it is blurred up and locked down.

The specs look good, but rumors are yet another locked down bootloader

Which rumor will win? :O

WildAltimaster
01-05-2011, 09:08 PM
So with all these 4G LTE Phones coming out, will a 4G plan be a requirement? Because $50/month for limited data is pretty much enough to make me not want one, however much I hate to say it.

abcvvc
01-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Not worth it if they lock the bootloader like on the X. Maybe Samsung or HTC will have something comparable that's more "hackable"...

psychotic_penguin
01-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Hopefully Garm wins, if I win we all lose

manigma77
01-05-2011, 09:13 PM
I will be returning my dx. Just got it last week, but its basically just an oversized d1. I want better. :-)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

x909xvolcomx
01-05-2011, 09:14 PM
How much are 4g lte plans going to be for this beast? I heard it was $80 for 5gb... that's sack..

Pooped from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Garemlin
01-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Well DroidLife has confirmed that it does have, albeit a new version of Blur. Not a good sign.

wicked
01-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Well DroidLife has confirmed that it does have, albeit a new version of Blur. Not a good sign.

I'm sure there will be blurless custom ROMS for it in no time if that's the case...

I will steal my moms upgrade for this when it comes out... she doesnt need a smart phone, she loves her LG dare
and besides she doesnt even know how to send text messages :p

xrazedx
01-05-2011, 09:19 PM

I just watched a video of the phone and I saw a lot of blur apps almost all the ones that came with mine plus madden.

Swyped n sent from my X

WugFresh
01-05-2011, 09:19 PM
I'm sure there will be blurless custom ROMS for it in no time if that's the case...

If the bootloader is locked again, won't another bootstrapper have to be developed??

Damn.. I just tried to buy
bionicforums.com &
bionicforum.com

Both are already taken... Argghhh!

{{ WugFresh }}

MDX7
01-05-2011, 09:24 PM
The android/ iphone war is now about to end... for good

xrazedx
01-05-2011, 09:27 PM
We can only hope the bootloader won't be locked. The phone wont be released for awhile (some sites say start of Q2), so the rumors wil be all over the place until close to that time or some official announcement.

Swyped n sent from my X

wicked
01-05-2011, 09:28 PM
If the bootloader is locked again, won't another bootstrapper have to be developed??

bionicforums.com &
bionicforum.com

{{ WugFresh }}

I'm sure Koush will develop a bootstrapper for it if he gets one of these and I'm sure he will...

as far as the website I'm almost positive that the owners of droidforums would have one for the Bionic if it becomes a success like the X did..

but I know what you're saying... you want to own it lol

Garemlin
01-05-2011, 09:28 PM

bionicforums.com &
bionicforum.com

{{ WugFresh }}

Try .net

And there is an actual Bionic forum already set up over on DF. Droid Bionic Forum - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-bionic-forum/)

eric eakin
01-05-2011, 09:30 PM
Think ill pass on this... happy enough with my phone now!

WugFresh
01-05-2011, 09:32 PM
Its like real estate... I call it domain flipping. Lol.

I want a phone with an i7core chip and 8gb of ddr3 ram.. call it:
PwnDroid

{{ WugFresh }}

Coronado is dead
01-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Eh. Love the specs, hate the external design.

Plus I got my DX a week ago. Kind of in love with it right now, lol.

Coronado is dead
01-05-2011, 09:54 PM
I will be returning my dx. Just got it last week, but its basically just an oversized d1. I want better. :-)

Enjoy their new restocking fees :/

Les
01-05-2011, 09:58 PM
Its like real estate... I call it domain flipping. Lol.

I want a phone with an i7core chip and 8gb of ddr3 ram.. call it:
PwnDroid

{{ WugFresh }}

I want one with that type of power aswell!

Love the domain flipping theory.

jing
01-05-2011, 10:04 PM
What does it look like

WugFresh
01-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Like an iPhone.. check the op.

@Les
Its more than a theory.. its made me money a few times.. lol

{{ WugFresh }}

royolpunk
01-05-2011, 10:05 PM
What does it look like

Check it out on news sites like Engadget or Droid life...

C Dippa
01-05-2011, 10:07 PM
Check it out on news sites like Engadget or Droid life...

Or the OP....??? :confused:

surge
01-05-2011, 10:20 PM
I have a phone update available in Feb., but I was told we won't see 4g in our area for a couple of years.

SimplySweetness
01-05-2011, 10:36 PM
All these people ready to trade out their DXs right now for this are going to be without a phone for quite a little while. It isn't planned to come out until anywhere between April and June, lol. It is quite nice looking, though. Once Verizon gets rid of the NE2 early upgrades, though... I will have to wait until May 2012 for something so, I most likely won't be touching this one.

royolpunk
01-05-2011, 10:46 PM
All these people ready to trade out their DXs right now for this are going to be without a phone for quite a little while. It isn't planned to come out until anywhere between April and June, lol. It is quite nice looking, though. Once Verizon gets rid of the NE2 early upgrades, though... I will have to wait until May 2012 for something so, I most likely won't be touching this one.

they aren't exactly getting rid of it,its just that you have to wait 20 months before you can get a new phone. I might be wrong,but this is what I've read personally.

Droidinite
01-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Nice phone. I've had my X since august and im still loving it. I hope this forum does not go downhill when everyone upgrades to this phone

SimplySweetness
01-05-2011, 10:49 PM
they aren't exactly getting rid of it,its just that you have to wait 20 months before you can get a new phone. I might be wrong,but this is what I've read personally.

Well, I consider that getting rid of because I have always been used to shortly after a year. I have never waited almost 2 years for a new phone, never want to either. I did say getting rid of the NE2 early upgrade, didn't I? If not, I must have left that morsel out.

Madebyrob
01-06-2011, 04:34 AM
Hmm tegra 2 dual core 1ghz... sounds like a ticking time bomb ? Overheat issues I'd wonder?

Sent from my DROIDX

DebianDog
01-06-2011, 07:22 AM
Hmm tegra 2 dual core 1ghz... sounds like a ticking time bomb ? Overheat issues I'd wonder?

Sent from my DROIDX

Petty sure they would have tested it ;)

The Motorola Atrix looks more of X replacement to me! Same or better features plus docking ability.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/motorola-atrix-4g-hd-multimedia-dock-and-laptop-dock-hands-on/

xrazedx
01-06-2011, 08:11 AM

The Motorola Atrix looks more of X replacement to me! Same or better features plus docking ability.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/motorola-atrix-4g-hd-multimedia-dock-and-laptop-dock-hands-on/

Its for att though.

Swyped n sent from my X

vessej
01-06-2011, 08:13 AM
I am eligible for an annual upgrade right now and really want to use it before the 16th so I don't lose the NE2. But there is nothing to upgrade to. I wish this was coming out next week.

I have an upgrade burning a hole in my pocket since November. I just called CS and the lady told me that I will not lose it. It will sit there until I am ready to use it. So, you will not lose it.

vessej
01-06-2011, 08:14 AM
How much are 4g lte plans going to be for this beast? I heard it was $80 for 5gb... that's sack..

Pooped from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

that would be a deal breaker for me...i don't need 4g that bad.

DebianDog
01-06-2011, 08:23 AM
Its for att though.

Deal breaker then. ;)

NO phone is worth AT&T for me. I get ZERO coverage here.

xrazedx
01-06-2011, 08:38 AM
Deal breaker then. ;)

NO phone is worth AT&T for me. I get ZERO coverage here.

Yea, nothing would make me switch to att either. Students at my school lose service in classrooms when I have at least 3 bars. They have horrible service.

Swyped n sent from my X

cruckus
01-06-2011, 08:51 AM
At&t is alright in my area but Verizon kills them all and im about to work for sprint as a tech. Not to be biased but I get an upgrade in june this year but ill just pay retail price for the next phone I get and not have to renew a contract

mikeinrichmond
01-06-2011, 08:55 AM
I enjoyed my iphone while I had it, but after two years of att ' service' I just couldn't take it anymore and switched. I'm sure lots of folks will do the same when given the chance to have their iphone on verizon..

joeyjackpot
01-06-2011, 09:00 AM
it's cutesy and silly to me how many "who wants a droid X" posts there are when the only rumored release date for this device is Q2 2011... aka April-June... lol! Same with Atrix... so i mean unless you want to go back to some other phone for 4-6 months i'd keep your droid x in your pocket ;)

Garemlin
01-06-2011, 09:16 AM
Nice phone. I've had my X since august and im still loving it. I hope this forum does not go downhill when everyone upgrades to this phone

Naaa that wont happen. But you do realize end of life for the X is in March so it will slow down here eventually. But we have a strong membership right now and most aren't going anywhere for a while.

joeyjackpot
01-06-2011, 09:18 AM
The evolution is going to go like this:

Droid X/Droid 2/Droid Inc - OMG these amazing Droid phones for 3G! I'm gonna jump on in!
HTC Thunderbolt/Droid Bionic - OMG what the hell how dare verizon sell us these phones in July when announcing NEW 4G ANDROID PHONES 7 MONTHS LATER?!
Next Gen 4G aka more than just Dual Core, 4G-Tuner Enabled versions of the existing 3G Devices - OMG how dare verizon make us jump all over these early 4G models just to release new, better ones 7 months later!

I think you can tell how the pattern goes. Stop being mad at Verizon because you bought something. 7 months ago isn't "just the other day" and if you bought it "just two weeks ago," last I checked 14 days wasn't over 30 days... do we expect verizon to say, "No, you know what? In fairness to Droid X owners, we're not going to release new phones for an entire calendar year!"

C'mon now...

DebianDog
01-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Not to mention unless you live in a MAJOR city you are NOT getting 4G anytime soon.

joeyjackpot
01-06-2011, 09:46 AM
Before you return an existing handset for one that was just announced, you might want to wait until the FOLLOWING is announced:

1) All new fees and pricing schedules associated with 4G
2) Cost of new device
3) Release date of new device.

;)

DebianDog
01-06-2011, 09:49 AM
Before you return an existing handset for one that was just announced, you might want to wait until the FOLLOWING is announced:

1) All new fees and pricing schedules associated with 4G
2) Cost of new device
3) Release date of new device.

;)

1. Currently VZ offers 4G at $50 for 5 GB and $80 for 10 GB

Enough for me to wait.

joeyjackpot
01-06-2011, 09:51 AM
1. Currently VZ offers 4G at $50 for 5 GB and $80 for 10 GB

Enough for me to wait.

Upcoming Verizon phones - Phone Arena (http://www.phonearena.com/phones/carriers/Verizon/upcoming) yup, expected release date Q2 2011.

Didn't realize moto had a tab coming out too. the XOOM. I ****ing hate whoever is in charge of misspelling-as-brand-identifier. ugh.

joeyjackpot
01-06-2011, 09:54 AM
According to phone arena... whose spec reporting i trust more than a news clippy...

Motorola DROID BIONIC is one of the first Android handsets to rock Verizon's 4G LTE network. It comes with a 4.3 inch qHD (540 x 960) display and has a dual-core processor which will run at 1GHz, while 512MB of DDR2 RAM will make this phone tick. An 8 megapixel camera with HD video capabilities and a front-facing camera will make video calling a breeze. Entertainment is well covered with Adobe Flash and HTML 5 support, as well as with HDMI output to your large screen TV.

on a side note i'm now imagining Dance Dance Revolution 2 powering this phone.

DebianDog
01-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Upcoming Verizon phones - Phone Arena (http://www.phonearena.com/phones/carriers/Verizon/upcoming) yup, expected release date Q2 2011.

Didn't realize moto had a tab coming out too. the XOOM. I ****ing hate whoever is in charge of misspelling-as-brand-identifier. ugh.

No I mean wait for a real plan pricing model.

IMDROID
01-06-2011, 10:03 AM

I agree. I think those pricing plans for 4G they have are for the USB cards (?) and not for a 4G LTE phones. That would be crazy insane amount to spend, and I certainly will not jump on the 4G bandwagon if they do price it that way. Sprint was only $10 extra a month when I had the EVO.

joeyjackpot
01-06-2011, 10:11 AM

I actually quoted you somewhat arbitrarily... i wasn't trying to say your info was wrong. I believe that will be the actual cost as well...

SimplySweetness
01-06-2011, 12:25 PM
it's cutesy and silly to me how many "who wants a droid X" posts there are when the only rumored release date for this device is Q2 2011... aka April-June... lol! Same with Atrix... so i mean unless you want to go back to some other phone for 4-6 months i'd keep your droid x in your pocket ;)

Haha, I just said the exact same thing last night lol!

mikeinrichmond
01-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Not to mention unless you live in a MAJOR city you are NOT getting 4G anytime soon.
Exactly. Richmond is not in the initial rollout, and 'insiders' note a may '12 date to light off the 4G is expected. Just in time for my upgrade. :)

Sent from my X

dudaman
01-06-2011, 01:22 PM
just got my droid x this past november..... absolutely love it... but a friend of mine overseas got a webcam for xmas, which prompted my thoughts on getting a "two camera" phone for video chat................and now I see this today!!!!!!

I gotta have one now!!! :)

PS And to think..before november i owned a Motorola Razr for years b/c i was really intimidated by all the smartphone and "touch screen" technology and was just satisfied with having a simple phone...........my, my, my, the Droid X has changed my life!!!!!

joeyjackpot
01-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Xtina should hop on this... she can try to go for a brand tie in... use this as its theme... lol maybe get a few copies of her album noticed ... er sold...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUtlZS0N9_o

Grim
01-06-2011, 01:37 PM
I am going to wait a while till the hyp is over and the network is flushed out. Will take a while for LTE to have wide coverage. Love the phone. Start saying goodbye to CDMA as we knew it.

IMDROID
01-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Wow, so I watched the press conference live and I was very shocked. The Droid Bionic and the Xoom Tablet only received about 30 seconds presentation time? Motorola, where were your reps? HTC, LG and Samsung where all there. Considering it seems the Droid series of devices are Verizon's flagship devices, I'm disappointed that they did not have more presence in the show. I was expecting a really good show, along the lines of "DroidDoes 4G LTE", but instead was presented with "Oh and here is the Droid Bionic and the Xoom Tablet, by Motorola"... Um really? That's it?

trenton
01-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Yeah and the xoom tab looks soo bad ass. Xoom+ Honeycomb = iPad killer? I think so ...but We'll see.

albokay
01-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Lte. We get you to your cap faster!

WugFresh
01-06-2011, 04:44 PM

LOL!!!"

{{ WugFresh }}

DebianDog
01-06-2011, 04:45 PM

Yeah nice way to dodge the question during the Q and A today.

drjimbeam
01-06-2011, 04:57 PM
No.. That isn't how it works.. It doesn't double the speed.. It has two cores at 1 ghz it is only 1 ghz. It will perform better than a 1ghz single core yes.. If this were true then nasa wants to borrow my computer.. Quad core at 3.6ghz.. That doesn't mean it's 14.6ghz. Rather it has more cores to share the work load.. If one engine in a car going 60mph hour @ 2500rpms mean 2 engines at same speed/rpm mean its going 120mph? No, but if all other parts of vehicle allow it it can carry twice the payload. Same with a computer, it can just handle more with less stress.. You really wont even see a huge diiference until applications are multicore compatible.

Hopefully that helps explain it some. If it were true y arent advertisers advertising quad core 1ghz computers as 4ghz? They arent.

DebianDog
01-06-2011, 05:04 PM
You really wont even see a huge diiference until applications are multicore compatible.

Or you are running 2 things at once. ;) But yes the "Quadrant score" of this thing is only like 1900

Pensacola32526
01-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Is this the unofficial end to the DX? :(

royolpunk
01-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Not really

Garemlin
01-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Is this the unofficial end to the DX? :(

No the X will have a life even after it's EOL. We will be here for a while. The Droid 1 has been EOL for a while and still has a huge following.

royolpunk
01-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Technically because the original Droid is really what started the android rush. Same with the nexus one,its eol too and there's an icredible amount of development right now on that device.

WugFresh
01-06-2011, 09:22 PM
No the X will have a life even after it's EOL. We will be here for a while. The Droid 1 has been EOL for a while and still has a huge following.

I won't : )
better ask your questions now, LOL!

{{ WugFresh }}

drjimbeam
01-06-2011, 09:23 PM
Phones like this I dont really ever see much of an end to.. depending on how u look at it.. My old blackberry storm is now my yr old sons phone.. Yeah no service.. shut all the towers off, wish I could delete them. I just load movies on it for him and he loves to take pics/movies with it. My phone before that became a chew toy for a 1 yr old.. Really depends on how you look at it.. Phone before BB storm was a nextel motorola 880, not much fun. These phones can live on forever just not as intended to be used.

edit.. 5yr old son.. damn 5 key is sticking!!

GoBears
01-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Personally I could care less about 4g. I'm more than happy with 3g. That being said, this phone is exactly what I want. I can't stand the "real" buttons on the X. I'll be paying full price lol.

royolpunk
01-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Personally I could care less about 4g. I'm more than happy with 3g. That being said, this phone is exactly what I want. I can't stand the "real" buttons on the X. I'll be paying full price lol.

I agree with you on both parts. Except that I wont be buying the bionic simply because of motoblur and the fact that we probably wont be able to get a custom kernel up on there. Also not getting it because i'm waiting for a QWERTY motorola slider that is 4G. Perhaps the Droid 3? :D.

Edit:Yeah if a Droid 3 comes out it'll probably have a locked bootloader too huh...hmmm....

Garemlin
01-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Technically because the original Droid is really what started the android rush. Same with the nexus one,its eol too and there's an icredible amount of development right now on that device.

Hacking and development is only a small part of the android and VZW customer base. A good majority of D1, D2, DX, DI owners are that because they either saw the really cool commercials, their local VZW rep convinced them they needed a smart phone, or they saw a friends/family members. Those types of people keep their phones for 2+ years. They aren't worried about the next best thing because they are still trying to figure out how to use and are enjoying their current best thing.

royolpunk
01-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Hacking and development is only a small part of the android and VZW customer base. A good majority of D1, D2, DX, DI owners are that because they either saw the really cool commercials, their local VZW rep convinced them they needed a smart phone, or they saw a friends/family members. Those types of people keep their phones for 2+ years. They aren't worried about the next best thing because they are still trying to figure out how to use and are enjoying their current best thing.

Yeah your completely right,I just didn't know how to phrase that into words that people could actually understand lol. Haha. Anyways thanks for the great explanation, as always, ill be keeping my Droid x until summer/fall. So for now im sticking here:D

WugFresh
01-06-2011, 09:32 PM
If the bootloader is locked again I might refrain from buying it until my inner desire for better hardware gets the best of me.

{{ WugFresh }}

Garemlin
01-06-2011, 09:39 PM
If the bootloader is locked again I might refrain from buying it until my inner desire for better hardware gets the best of me.

{{ WugFresh }}

I think the days of unlocked bootloaders are long gone my friend. Even if it comes unlocked I am sure a future update will lock it down just like Samsung did with the Galaxy Tab.

WugFresh
01-06-2011, 09:42 PM
That infuriates me. I would pay extra money for it to be unlocked. Its bs.. these aren't phones.. they are computers. What's the justification for it? What are they afraid of? You should just be able to get a dev/hacker version and have to pay more.. or sign some warranty void agreement..

{{ WugFresh }}

xrazedx
01-06-2011, 10:34 PM
The Droid X will be here for quite some time. It is verizon's best 3g phone and it will still be when the bionic comes out because it will be 4g. Not everyone can or will make the jump to 4g because of lack of coverage in their area or expensive plans.
So no, this is not the end of the X.

Swyped n sent from my X

wicked
01-06-2011, 10:48 PM
anyone seen the HTC Thunderbolt yet? RoOoleR gave me this link earlier.. HTC ThunderBolt (http://www.htc.com/us/products/thunderbolt-verizon?extcid=Thunderbolt-Device-Disp#tech-specs)
This might not have a locked bootloader, has more RAM and comes with 32GB of storage... only drawback it's not dual core but I'm sure it's plenty fast

royolpunk
01-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Yeah its probably going to be the biggest Verizon flagship phone aside from the droids. Why doesn't htc make any droids anymore? All I see is motorola making them,every single one of them droids are made by motorola are making them...

bsbabcock
01-07-2011, 11:46 AM
"Droid" is a brand naming done originally to denote a phone running the Android OS.. Problem is, it's been trademarked by Mr Star Wars himself George Lucas, so using the name means hefty royalties to Lucasfilms. Doesn't mean much at all.. It's the difference between a Droid Incredible or just HTC Incredible. Motorola could have easilly called the new phone the Motorola Bionic. To the 'outsiders' in the market, the message that it's a serious top-line android OS smartphone might possibly be lost. HTC is a bit more willing to take the chance I'm gathering while Motorola is willing to shell for the "Droid" naming for brand recognition of the OS running.

On the new Bionic... Yeehaw soft keys instead of hard keys for the menu buttons. It was the one thing compared to my wife's Incredible that I absotively possilutely hated about my X and didn't realize when I got the two phones. Good job Motorola on that one itty bitty feature, listening to a few consumers. Opinions may vary. Mine is softkeys are nice. Hardkeys slow me down big-time. That whole hand shift to go from tap to press is a PITA.

joeyjackpot
01-07-2011, 12:32 PM

Classics are always going to be classics. Just because everyone saw The Blair Witch Project doesn't mean everyone saw the sequels... yes... plural...

Please refer to the Droid Eris and it's EOL/Huge Following since if you'd like to compare devices that launched almost simultaneously... (D1/Eris)

joeyjackpot
01-07-2011, 12:42 PM
The Droid X will be here for quite some time. It is verizon's best 3g phone and it will still be when the bionic comes out because it will be 4g. Not everyone can or will make the jump to 4g because of lack of coverage in their area or expensive plans.
So no, this is not the end of the X.

Swyped n sent from my X

Droid Bionic release date: Q2 2011 (April - June)
Droid X End of Life (pulled from shelves) - March 11, 2011.

Why do people always assume, "no, this phone I bought is the one verizon will NEVER stop selling!"? lol... this phone will be gone before the bionic hits... if only by a few days, or a few weeks... but these will not be on the shelf side-by-side.

royolpunk
01-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Agreed. The Droid bionic will also have a eol before you guys know it as well....

joeyjackpot
01-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Let's just say it: you're never going to find a phone that is top of the line or receives regular upgrades for the full 2 years of your contract. device hopping after a few months because one is slightly (and I do mean slightly) better is really a great way to waste money... but i don't know that it's the smartest move. If you find it more rewarding to brag about the "new ____" in your pocket than you find it annoying to constantly learn and configure new devices... go nuts!

royolpunk
01-07-2011, 03:14 PM
Let's just say it: you're never going to find a phone that is top of the line or receives regular upgrades for the full 2 years of your contract. device hopping after a few months because one is slightly (and I do mean slightly) better is really a great way to waste money... but i don't know that it's the smartest move. If you find it more rewarding to brag about the "new ____" in your pocket than you find it annoying to constantly learn and configure new devices... go nuts!

The only exception that always receives upgrades during a 2-year period is the iphone line. They receive upgrades for a few years until devices like the iphone 2G don't get the full features of iOS 4,while the 3GS kinda does. But hardware- wise yeah,I agree with joey. you'll never be able to find that" one" phone

joeyjackpot
01-07-2011, 03:33 PM
The only exception that always receives upgrades during a 2-year period is the iphone line. They receive upgrades for a few years until devices like the iphone 2G don't get the full features of iOS 4,while the 3GS kinda does. But hardware- wise yeah,I agree with joey. you'll never be able to find that" one" phone

I meant from a verizon standpoint. The day verizon (or any other CDMA network) gets an iPhone - you can expect fragmentation from apple. Let's not pretend - that's the real reason we haven't seen one on another network. loss of precious control!

CBGOODMAN200A
01-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Agreed. The Droid bionic will also have a eol before you guys know it as well....

And my guess is that somebody way up in the Moto food-chain knows what that date is.

xrazedx
01-07-2011, 04:12 PM

Why do people always assume, "no, this phone I bought is the one verizon will NEVER stop selling!"? lol... this phone will be gone before the bionic hits... if only by a few days, or a few weeks... but these will not be on the shelf side-by-side.

Lmao, son you clearly didn't understand my post. When I said the X will be here for some time, I meant people will still be using it for some time. I know the EOL date for the X.
My post was made in reference to someone who asked if this is the end of the X.
Don't assume you know what people are thinking, because clearly you don't.

Swyped n sent from my X

royolpunk
01-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Ahhhhhh cmon guys we can all be nice to each other here..

bsbabcock
01-07-2011, 06:54 PM
To put it in perspective.. Like a home audio receiver. Folks will still be using a particular model for years down the road, though it gets replaced with newer models about every year or so. I know more than a few people using droid 1s and love them.

royolpunk
01-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Yeah guys cmon,every Droid isn't that bad, even the eris.

Garemlin
01-07-2011, 07:27 PM
Classics are always going to be classics. Just because everyone saw The Blair Witch Project doesn't mean everyone saw the sequels... yes... plural...

Please refer to the Droid Eris and it's EOL/Huge Following since if you'd like to compare devices that launched almost simultaneously... (D1/Eris)

I really don't get your point.

Garemlin
01-07-2011, 07:29 PM
anyone seen the HTC Thunderbolt yet? RoOoleR gave me this link earlier.. HTC ThunderBolt (http://www.htc.com/us/products/thunderbolt-verizon?extcid=Thunderbolt-Device-Disp#tech-specs)
This might not have a locked bootloader, has more RAM and comes with 32GB of storage... only drawback it's not dual core but I'm sure it's plenty fast

Yessss. Been watching this one for the last few weeks. In fact me and PP have been discussing it a little. If I were to chose between the Thunderbolt and the Bionic it would be a tough choice.

wicked
01-07-2011, 07:42 PM
there's some nice upcoming phones for Verizon, LG Revolution and unamed Samsung 4G phone also

CES 2011 Smartphone Preview: LG Revolution, HTC Thunderbolt, And More - G4tv.com (http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/709594/CES-2011-Smartphone-Preview-LG-Revolution-HTC-Thunderbolt-And-More.html)

royolpunk
01-07-2011, 07:46 PM
JUST WAITING FOR THE VZW IPHONE TO BE ANNOUNCED TUESDAY TEEHEE.

plumcrazy
01-07-2011, 07:46 PM
i have never gone 12 months without buying a new one. I bought the X on the first day about ~ 6.5 months ago, this is probably a record for me. so more than likely its going to be a thunderbolt or this one for me. whichever is out first.

royolpunk
01-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Not too much of a difference from the thunderbolt and Droid x other than it has 4G and ffront facing camera if you really think about it,both of which I really don't need. Wifi > any current mobile network.

Snow02
01-07-2011, 08:14 PM
So untrue. Wifi speed is limited to the hard line it's connected to. And, as one example, tmobile hspa+ is getting > 12 mbit down and > 2 mbit up.

That's better than most hardline connections.

royolpunk
01-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Ok, but what about when your in a dead spot.

Snow02
01-07-2011, 08:20 PM
You get wifi in your car huh?

royolpunk
01-07-2011, 08:29 PM
w.e. man, idc what u got to say. if t-mos hspa+ is so great why dont we install that in everyone's homes

wicked
01-07-2011, 08:41 PM
let's play nice fellas :)

Snow02
01-07-2011, 08:45 PM
You said wifi was better than any current mobile broadband, and you were incorrect. Don't get all butt-hurt over it.

WugFresh
01-07-2011, 10:19 PM
What if wifi were to be connected to;
Google's Super Fast Internet (http://www.publicola.net/2010/02/10/google-plans-superfast-trial-broadband-networks/)

: )

{{ WugFresh }}

Snow02
01-07-2011, 11:03 PM
We don't play the what if game here, sorry.

CaucasianAsian
01-08-2011, 12:03 AM
I just got my DX in December! Now this comes along... ARRRRRRGAHHH!

WugFresh
01-08-2011, 12:47 AM
We don't play the what if game here, sorry.

What are you talking about? You mean you don't factor in present R&D when trying to make assertions about the future of internet infrastructure?

And who are you to tell me what I post is acceptable?

So untrue. Wifi speed is limited to the hard line it's connected to...

I was providing an example of how the future of hardline internet technology is very promising, so WiFi could very well be the future of mobile communications. That sounds pretty relevant if you ask me. I'm not playing a game.

Whats your deal. You sound angered... you alright?

{{ WugFresh }}

Snow02
01-08-2011, 02:02 AM
Awfully defensive...

WugFresh
01-08-2011, 02:14 AM
I guess so. No hard feelings, you just had a tone that seemed like you were trying instigate something with me. You tried to discredit my post, so yeah, I defended it.

{{ WugFresh }}

Garemlin
01-08-2011, 05:21 AM
Ok guys let's leave the attitudes at the door. These are phones. Nothing to get your feathers ruffled over.

DebianDog
01-08-2011, 05:29 AM
Fiscal year - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiscal_year#United_States)

1st Quarter: October 1, 2010 - December 31, 2010
2nd Quarter: January 1, 2011 - March 31, 2011
3rd Quarter: April 1, 2011 - June 30, 2011
4th Quarter: July 1, 2011 - September 30, 2011

bpd691
01-08-2011, 06:57 AM
Man I just got my droid x three weeks ago and it's already old news! Oh well, it's still new to me.

xrazedx
01-08-2011, 07:27 AM
So untrue. Wifi speed is limited to the hard line it's connected to. And, as one example, tmobile hspa+ is getting > 12 mbit down and > 2 mbit up.

That's better than most hardline connections.

Im not saying you are wrong, but its hard to compare 4g to wifi in general. That is way too broad.
While some are not a fast as 4g speeds, there are those that are faster.

Swyped n sent from my X

mikeinrichmond
01-08-2011, 07:37 AM
Man I just got my droid x three weeks ago and it's already old news! Oh well, it's still new to me.

You are still in the 30 day return window. It still might be another couple of months before you could actually buy one of the new phones, but better to do it now, then possibly regret keeping it for the next year or so if you are already wishing you hasn't bought it..

X swyper

midwaymonster
01-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Anyone know if VZ will allow you to have this phone WITHOUT the stupidly over-prices 4G plan? I love the horsepower this phone offers, but 4G isn't happening for me.

Snow02
01-08-2011, 10:18 AM
Have they released pricing info yet?

royolpunk
01-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Have they released pricing info yet?

No, but we can expect it to be the standard $199.99+

Garemlin
01-08-2011, 01:49 PM

With the other recent "screw the customers" changes VZW has made, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see them charge a premium for all of the 4G phones just like Sprint did with theirs.

mikeinrichmond
01-08-2011, 02:00 PM
With the other recent "screw the customers" changes VZW has made, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see them charge a premium for all of the 4G phones just like Sprint did with theirs.
Oh, I don't think there is any doubt that 4G coverage will cost more than the $30 extra we pay already. The only question is will it be $10 more like Sprint, or $20, $30, >, and for how much data?, 5gb, 10gb? I don't see any possiblilty that they will have an unlimited data option unless it's > $50 more..

Cadillac Kid
01-08-2011, 02:17 PM
I'm a little bummed I didn't wait either, I got my droid X like two months ago. Then a 4g commercial came out like two weeks later, I debated returning it. Anyways, glad I didn't. I learned so much rooting, OC'ing, roms, themes, etc. Which is what I will want to do with any android phone I will get. I'm sure it will take a few months to get the hack community up and going on the new 4g phones. Plus I think $30 extra a month for unlimited 3g is way too much.....so I couldn't imagine paying more for a capped 4g plan.

I will wait until things are old news in 4g in a year or so. Or if it is just so amazing that I can't do without it and the deals are good, I will use the upgrade of one of the 4 people on my family plan who couldn't care less about a smarthphone and give my DX to my wife.

Oh well, at any rate, I just hope the hack community for the DX doesn't slow down because of the new wave of 4G stuff.

Snow02
01-08-2011, 03:45 PM

I was taking about the LTE data pricing. I figure the phone's aren't going over the standard 200 subsidized fee. Maybe to 250 at most.

iNfAMOUS702
01-08-2011, 03:53 PM
There's no way vzw puts out an unlimited plan for lte 4G...I'm.more than happy with my dx and my unlimited data plan..plus I rather wait till they work out all the kinks on a 4g network nd dual core fones

mikeinrichmond
01-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Unless you're in one of the lucky major markets, you're not getting 4G until 2012 anyway. So we'll see what the latest and greatest phone will be next year. The way Droid phones are going, it'll probably be a quad core/dedicated graphics/digital SLR beast! (Well, I can dream of what my next phone will be, cant I? ) :)

royolpunk
01-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Yeah I live in the bay area,and already have 4G for every network (att,sprint,Verizon,and tmobile) so its really up to my personal preference of phones...

mikeinrichmond
01-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Yeah I live in the bay area,and already have 4G for every network (att,sprint,Verizon,and tmobile)...

Don't think I'd pick what is behind door #1 in that list, been there, done that.. ;)

DroidRooter
01-08-2011, 06:24 PM
By the time I'll be ready for an upgrade - since VZW's new every two has gone the way of the dodo - Moto will just have released its quad-core Nebula-class superphone.

My OC'ed X is now running faster than an Acer laptop I had two years ago.

royolpunk
01-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Don't think I'd pick what is behind door #1 in that list, been there, done that.. ;)

Yup. I agree,id rather pay extra to be on verizons awesome network then to be on atts piece of s***.

Windsponge
01-09-2011, 10:07 AM
You will not lose new in two you just will not get it again after you upgrade. Unless you are trying to qualify for it again before the 16. Sorry if I misunderstood.

Garemlin
01-09-2011, 12:27 PM
You will not lose new in two you just will not get it again after you upgrade. Unless you are trying to qualify for it again before the 16. Sorry if I misunderstood.

Yeah this whole new upgrade policy is confusing. The way I read it at first is that if you don't do an annual upgrade before the 16th you lose it. Apparently this is for people who renew or sign up after the 16th. My annual upgrade was valid on 12/26 and my NE2 will be this coming December. After that I will have no more. The new policy goes into effect with the new contract.

royolpunk
01-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Yeah this whole new upgrade policy is confusing. The way I read it at first is that if you don't do an annual upgrade before the 16th you lose it. Apparently this is for people who renew or sign up after the 16th. My annual upgrade was valid on 12/26 and my NE2 will be this coming December. After that I will have no more. The new policy goes into effect with the new contract.

Yeah this is really confusing....

JeepDroid
01-09-2011, 07:01 PM
how much do you guys/girls think that the bionic and the thunderbolt will be full retail?

Garemlin
01-09-2011, 07:05 PM
how much do you guys/girls think that the bionic and the thunderbolt will be full retail?

I'm thinking VZW will charge a bit of a premium for the 4G phones like Sprint did with the Epic 4G. So full retail I am guessing will be $599.

royolpunk
01-09-2011, 07:18 PM
I'm thinking VZW will charge a bit of a premium for the 4G phones like Sprint did with the Epic 4G. So full retail I am guessing will be $599.

Yeah.

IMDROID
01-09-2011, 07:53 PM

Yep, that was my first guess, my second is $549.99.

misdirection
01-09-2011, 10:56 PM
When is the release date? Thanks!

eljoker
01-09-2011, 11:01 PM
We don't know. Thanks.

IMDROID
01-09-2011, 11:08 PM
When is the release date? Thanks!

LOL

My Speculation:

HTC Thunderbolt will launch first, (February) followed by LG Revolution, (March) Samsung's ________ (fill in the blank as it hasn't been named yet (April)), and finally the Droid Bionic (May-June).

royolpunk
01-09-2011, 11:57 PM
LOL

My Speculation:

HTC Thunderbolt will launch first, (February) followed by LG Revolution, (March) Samsung's ________ (fill in the blank as it hasn't been named yet (April)), and finally the Droid Bionic (May-June).

Nothing will launch in february. Verizon said at CES press conference that the earliest for one of the devices to ship would be March.

Vortex1x
01-10-2011, 02:11 AM
HOLY CHIT THATS AWESOME.........

You know, we will be able to tell our grandkids that we remember when........

DebianDog
01-10-2011, 04:12 AM
HOLY CHIT THATS AWESOME.........

You know, we will be able to tell our grandkids that we remember when........

Yes, like I remember when there was no such thing as a cell phone yet somehow we made it though our lives ;)

But nothing happened here I will be telling my grand kids about.

Beamed from my DroidX

xrazedx
01-10-2011, 07:12 AM
Or when everyone was freaking out because of the y2k bug.

Swyped n sent from my X

wicked
01-10-2011, 08:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpFaphAHE2I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU5wyYas3Q0

wicked
01-10-2011, 08:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta0Clt5OA3M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH0DXHDihHQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpL9j80cOVA

joeyjackpot
01-10-2011, 08:25 AM
Let's talk about it:

Droid 2, Droid X, Droid Incredible (and a few others, i'm sure) are all seeing end of life on 3/11/11. That means there will be 3+ open shelves on the Verizon showroom floors.

I wonder when those new phones will come out... HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

C'mon guys. Critical thinking isn't that difficult. Connect those dots... ;)

So basically, anything PhoneArena or anywhere reputable has scheduled as "Q1 2011" - Just go ahead and write "March" in your head since we know nothing's out before then.

Anything that says "Q2 2011" (Bionic) will be shortly thereafter. As much as it'd be nice to see the Bionic get a summer release like the Droid X, I don't think they're going to announce it in January and release it in July.

eljoker
01-10-2011, 09:34 AM
If EOL is 3/11, they have to launch phones before then to keep sales up. We get the succesors at leas 15 days before the previous ones go EOL but we get EOL notices early on so we can push out inventory.

joeyjackpot
01-10-2011, 09:48 AM
If EOL is 3/11, they have to launch phones before then to keep sales up. We get the succesors at leas 15 days before the previous ones go EOL but we get EOL notices early on so we can push out inventory.

First week of march folks.

eljoker
01-10-2011, 12:22 PM
First week of march folks.

Idk our new rebates forms for from 1/10/11-2/14/11. I dobut they will make a new rebate that will go for only another 13 days, I think mid to end of Feb.

plumcrazy
01-10-2011, 01:12 PM
my droidX cost me 570 bucks with no upgrade, these 4G phones are gonna be much more IMO.

as of now, the lack of kickstand is tough for me, im gonna likely end up with the HTC thunderbolt. (i travel for a living)

mikeinrichmond
01-10-2011, 01:42 PM
Rumor has it that tomorrow verizon is gonna stick it to att twice.
1. Announce iphone
2. Unlimited data for $30/month, unlike att data cap plans..

I wouldn't get one again, but I am interested to see how many folks will jump from the att ship now, if true..

Lol

X swyper

DebianDog
01-10-2011, 01:48 PM
1. Announce iphone

I wouldn't get one again, but I am interested to see how many folks will jump from the att ship now..

X swyper

9-12 million

AppleInsider | Verizon iPhone to attract 9 to 12 million new US users for Apple (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/01/09/verizon_iphone_to_attract_9_to_12_million_new_us_u sers_for_apple.html)

joeyjackpot
01-10-2011, 01:53 PM
Idk our new rebates forms for from 1/10/11-2/14/11. I dobut they will make a new rebate that will go for only another 13 days, I think mid to end of Feb.

The window is now 2/14 - 3/11. money back guarantee. (before you try to cash in on that, ask yourself, "have I ever GIVEN joey money?" :) )

I would still bet more towards march... perhaps the iPhone will come out on Valentines day lol.

joeyjackpot
01-10-2011, 01:54 PM
my droidX cost me 570 bucks with no upgrade, these 4G phones are gonna be much more IMO.

as of now, the lack of kickstand is tough for me, im gonna likely end up with the HTC thunderbolt. (i travel for a living)

If it's like the EVO, i think it's stupid how the kickstand only works in portrait mode.

joeyjackpot
01-10-2011, 01:55 PM
9-12 million

AppleInsider | Verizon iPhone to attract 9 to 12 million new US users for Apple (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/01/09/verizon_iphone_to_attract_9_to_12_million_new_us_u sers_for_apple.html)

Android got really lucky that I bought a DX before the iPhone came out... I'd have probably just jumped on it... now, I'm not interested... but I'm sure there are TONS of BB/3G Multimedia users who would gravitate towards the iPhone because it doesn't have "SCARY SMARTPHONE" branded into it.

eljoker
01-10-2011, 02:19 PM
1. Announce iphone

I wouldn't get one again, but I am interested to see how many folks will jump from the att ship now, if true..

Lol

X swyperIf they do, which i dobut, then it would only be option on because we alreay have unlimited data

mikeinrichmond
01-10-2011, 05:31 PM
If they do, which i dobut, then it would only be option on because we alreay have unlimited data

Well, it was only a few months ago that Verizon's CEO was saying they would be matching ATT's tiered data plans, so we'll see. Unlimited data was one of the reasons I jumped on the X so quickly, to get grandfathered in for 2 years JIC.

ARHicken
01-10-2011, 05:44 PM
I am going back to the iphone, unless I cant get the nexsus for verzion, I am going to keep my x a little longer I just used my upgrade but I have another line i can use in june and then will see if I can get that bumped but we will see I should of never traded my droid inc for this x I hate it....

1. Announce iphone

Lol

X swyper

mikeinrichmond
01-10-2011, 06:04 PM
If it's like the EVO, i think it's stupid how the kickstand only works in portrait mode.

It's not. See here:
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/wp-content/gallery/htc-thunderbolt-handson/mg_2579.jpg

Garemlin
01-10-2011, 06:27 PM

I think one design flaw (on the Thunderbolt) is the placement of the charging port right under the kickstand. So it is pretty much impossible to have it charging or hooked to your PC while using the kickstand.

IMDROID
01-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Based on available info now, I think I would take the Droid Bionic for my next smartphone. It seems to have the most to offer when compared with the other announced 4G LTE phones. I must say that my interest meter did perk up over the weekend when I first heard about the 1/11/11 11:11 press conference. All intel is pointing to a CDMA iPhone for Verizon. I'd likely pass since it's not really going to offer anything new, since a new model will most likely be out in early summer.

IMDROID
01-10-2011, 06:46 PM
I think one design flaw (on the Thunderbolt) is the placement of the charging port right under the kickstand. So it is pretty much impossible to have it charging or hooked to your PC while using the kickstand.

Yep, that is a bummer, plus no HDMI out? What's up with that?

Garemlin
01-10-2011, 06:49 PM
Yep, that is a bummer, plus no HDMI out? What's up with that?

In all honesty that doesn't really bother me. I don't use, nor will I ever use the HDMI out on my DX. Just don't feel the need.

Fulaman
01-11-2011, 09:32 AM
Return it right now, you have a 30 day return/exchange policy

I just bought my droid x recently too. Got mine Dec 31st. Oh well the Droid X is a superb phone in 2 years time something bigger and badder than the bionic will be out. Lets not be surprised if we start seeing quad core phones.

joeyjackpot
01-11-2011, 11:31 AM

This is likely done with cases and docks in mind.

Garemlin
01-11-2011, 11:36 AM
This is likely done with cases and docks in mind.

I understand fully why. But it just doesn't work. LOL

joeyjackpot
01-11-2011, 11:42 AM
I understand fully why. But it just doesn't work. LOL

I think it's f-cking stupid that the kickstand only works while in portrait mode...?

thursday
01-11-2011, 03:04 PM
So can we still get the bionic and use 3g only?

joeyjackpot
01-11-2011, 03:14 PM
So can we still get the bionic and use 3g only?

yes... that's the way most sprint users are using the EVO now.

thursday
01-11-2011, 03:23 PM
awesome.. going to upgrade then :)

mikeinrichmond
01-11-2011, 03:37 PM

Isn't this the charging port on the right? I could see the problem if someone needed it in landscape mode for charging, but looks like it would be fine on the kickstand in portrait.
http://www.phonereleaseinfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/HTC-Thunderbolt-4G-dock.jpg

joeyjackpot
01-11-2011, 03:38 PM
if it's anything like the evo, the kickstand folds up when you try to use the kickstand in landscape mode... only for portrait mode. they still want you to buy a dock... sigh.

Garemlin
01-11-2011, 03:40 PM
Isn't this the charging port on the right? I could see the problem if someone needed it in landscape mode for charging, but looks like it would be fine on the kickstand in portrait.
http://www.phonereleaseinfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/HTC-Thunderbolt-4G-dock.jpg

Personally I would only get use out of the kickstand in landscape mode.

mikeinrichmond
01-11-2011, 03:43 PM
if it's anything like the evo, the kickstand folds up when you try to use the kickstand in landscape mode... only for portrait mode. they still want you to buy a dock... sigh.

Here another pic, looks like the kickstand works fine in landscape and portrait modes..
http://cellphoneforums.net/attachments/htc/44357d1294399771-verizon-officially-announces-htc-thunderbolt-ces-2011-htc-thunderbolt-4g-verizon-android-official-back-jpg

mikeinrichmond
01-11-2011, 03:44 PM
Most of the time I would likely have it in the dock as my alarm clock.. :)

joeyjackpot
01-11-2011, 03:46 PM
here another pic, looks like the kickstand works fine in landscape and portrait modes..
http://cellphoneforums.net/attachments/htc/44357d1294399771-verizon-officially-announces-htc-thunderbolt-ces-2011-htc-thunderbolt-4g-verizon-android-official-back-jpg

thank god. ewww @ the speaker being covered unless the kickstand is out though... i hate hardware-state-dependent software functions.

mikeinrichmond
01-11-2011, 04:49 PM
thank god. ewww @ the speaker being covered unless the kickstand is out though... i hate hardware-state-dependent software functions.

Yea, that just doesn't seem right. Wonder how much it mutes the sound..?

royolpunk
01-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Yea, that just doesn't seem right. Wonder how much it mutes the sound..?

Probably sounds like the HTC surround

DebianDog
01-12-2011, 01:12 AM
Personally I would only get use out of the kickstand in landscape mode.

I was thinking the same thing.

Beamed from my DroidX

joeyjackpot
01-12-2011, 08:41 AM
I was thinking the same thing.

Beamed from my DroidX

Right? that's when i want to watch it but not hold it... watching movies or videos... not web browsing lol

Dominick_7
01-13-2011, 02:32 PM
So with all these 4G LTE Phones coming out, will a 4G plan be a requirement? Because $50/month for limited data is pretty much enough to make me not want one, however much I hate to say it.

Uh yea people aren't considering the cost of going 4g per MONTH with data. It will have a SIM card for a new technology, if it goes back to 3G when 4G isn't available I wonder if 4G will just be an add on, but you can be sure it will be expensive. $49.99 sounds like the right price for the lowest amount of data in terms of being capped off too...

Dominick_7
01-13-2011, 02:34 PM

I really don't mind Motoblur, it's not so bad, especially with using Launcher Pro, Beautiful Widgets and all.

Dominick_7
01-13-2011, 02:37 PM

Motorola Atrix 4G, HD multimedia dock, and laptop dock hands-on -- Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/motorola-atrix-4g-hd-multimedia-dock-and-laptop-dock-hands-on/)

Droid Bionic is sweet, but yea that thing is HOT! Definitely a SUPERPhone, not just a smartphone.

Dominick_7
01-13-2011, 02:48 PM

Why do you not like the real buttons on the DX? My friends with Evos really don't like the non real keys on the Evo because they easily get accidentally pushed just by putting it in the case or bumping up against them. The real keys on the Droid X are something I love in comparison to touch keys the other phones.

Dominick_7
01-13-2011, 02:53 PM

I like how it looks, it's screen is beautiful, it's responsive, has 32GB Micro SD AND 16GBs of internal storage (48GBs), nice wide EVOish screen for bigger keys/easier typing, 700 some MBs of memory, very nice loud speakers, kickstand, but unlike the EVO no HDMI out, and unlike the Bionic no dual core, no ddr2 ram, and no 1080i out/playback.

Dominick_7
01-13-2011, 03:00 PM

That's just not accurate. Like mentioned, 4G will NOT be available to everyone, Droid X is the best selling phone, and it takes a while for them not only to meet their release goals (ie they said 1st quarter for the Thunderbolt, now it's 2nd Q, which means likely beginning of 3rd quarter), but also to get rid of an EOL phone.. many times EOL becomes 1 1/2 years. The Imagio was STILL on there just a few months ago. Now they're also selling refurbished versions of these phones.

Dominick_7
01-13-2011, 03:03 PM
Yessss. Been watching this one for the last few weeks. In fact me and PP have been discussing it a little. If I were to chose between the Thunderbolt and the Bionic it would be a tough choice.

Ditto on that.

Dominick_7
01-13-2011, 03:08 PM
Yep, that was my first guess, my second is $549.99.

With a coupon, refurbished, or from Amazon:)

CrAsH_OvErIdE
01-13-2011, 03:32 PM
Time to change forum name.... LoL

Dominick_7
01-13-2011, 03:37 PM
If I may ask, why do you hate the X?

Dominick_7
01-13-2011, 03:41 PM

Problem is that movies usually default to landscape mode. I know Slingbox does, at least on the Droid X. It won't work in portrait. Also Youtube goes really small when you use it in portrait mode as well.

DebianDog
01-13-2011, 03:47 PM
LOL are you being serious? You could ROTATE it ;)

joeyjackpot
01-13-2011, 03:48 PM
Problem is that movies usually default to landscape mode. I know Slingbox does, at least on the Droid X. It won't work in portrait. Also Youtube goes really small when you use it in portrait mode as well.

After you're done reading through all 22 pages of this thread and responding to every post individually, you'll see that this works in landscape mode as well, though the kickstand appears to obfuscate the main speaker unless it (the kickstand) is being used.

joeyjackpot
01-13-2011, 03:49 PM
LOL are you being serious? You could ROTATE it ;)

debian - you might want to just look for the real image -which is in this thread- of the phone in landscape mode w/ kickstand - as holding it that way would cause the kickstand to fold up and the phone to fall backwards... nice try though.

DebianDog
01-13-2011, 03:52 PM
debian - you might want to just look for the real image -which is in this thread- of the phone in landscape mode w/ kickstand - as holding it that way would cause the kickstand to fold up and the phone to fall backwards... nice try though.

Rotate it ON to the kickstand. I was making a point it will sit up on the stand you know like this

royolpunk
01-13-2011, 04:34 PM
What's the big deal about the kickstand guys...

wicked
01-13-2011, 08:23 PM
http://www.bicycledesigner.com/images/kickstand2.jpg

DebianDog
01-13-2011, 08:28 PM
They call me Mr. Kickstand

Beamed from my DroidX

royolpunk
01-13-2011, 08:55 PM
http://www.bicycledesigner.com/images/kickstand2.jpg

HO HO HO funny.

Dominick_7
01-13-2011, 11:15 PM
The reply was in regards to it being vertical.. with slingbox you can't rotate the picture you HAVE to watch it horizontally so setting it up vertically wont work...and having it fall backwards by having it upsidedown wouldn't work either..

x909xvolcomx
01-13-2011, 11:29 PM
Does anyone know when this i$ coming out? :O

royolpunk
01-13-2011, 11:37 PM
Does anyone know when this i$ coming out? :O

Yeah. It is coming out sometime in March, according to Verizon. That's at earliest,also.

x909xvolcomx
01-13-2011, 11:48 PM
Yeah. It is coming out sometime in March, according to Verizon. That's at earliest,also.

Oh niccee just in time for my bday! I know what im asking for lol

royolpunk
01-13-2011, 11:50 PM
Oh niccee just in time for my bday! I know what im asking for lol

LOL nice. Im due for an upgrade this upcoming February, but I think ill wait until the next QWERTY DROID comes out. Or a HTC phone that will have a dual core processor. Because the htc thunderbolt is kind of a disappointment in my opinion compared to powerhouses like the atrix and bionic.

jeff0r3
01-14-2011, 08:48 AM
I'm kinda disappointed with my DX.. I love the size of the phone, just don't like some of the things like speaker volume and a few other things, I really enjoyed the roms on my D1 and it made the phone so much fun without having to worry about bricking it. I'll definitely be checking this one out!!

CrAsH_OvErIdE
01-14-2011, 02:14 PM
I agree. The volume sucks. So much so that I am going crosseyed holding the phone so close to my face so I can hear it. LMFAO!

Back me up. I'm going in....

Dominick_7
01-22-2011, 12:10 AM
I agree. The volume sucks. So much so that I am going crosseyed holding the phone so close to my face so I can hear it. LMFAO!

Back me up. I'm going in....

A hack to make the calling volume louder at post #47 I believe:

Motorola Droid X Users - Prepare for Update! - Page 5 - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/103291-motorola-droid-x-users-prepare-update-5.html)

Dominick_7
01-22-2011, 12:11 AM
Check out the volume hack if you haven't already if you find the call volume is too low.

Jedi Beavis
01-23-2011, 09:43 PM
If somebody wants to sell their Droid X to get a new Bionic, please let me know. I want a Droid X in excellent condition with a clean ESN, and a reasonable price.

greevedogg
01-24-2011, 08:23 AM
Just a heads up!

For those of you contemplating this Moto Bionic...or the HTC Thunderbolt, or LG Optimus, or whatever...

Rumor has it that by the end of this year, Nvidia will have a QUAD CORE phone chip out! That's right folks, I did say QUAD CORE!
As of now, it's still all speculation, but just make sure you do your research and don't jump in to a new phone too quickly...

I, for one, would love to hop on a new dual core beast, but for now, the X suits my needs, and I'm locked into contract for a while...

Anyways, the future looks bright!

albokay
01-24-2011, 11:49 AM
I'm waiting for price right now. If its unlimited data and not much more a month ill just upgrade to the thunderbolt. If verizon is gonna cap data and charge a crazy amount then the X is just fine for me and ill wait for the X2 or the next 4.3 screen HTC 3g phone.

Famous slogans
McDonalds "Im lovin it"
Wendys "wheres the beef?"
Motorola "Buy elsewhere!"

DroidDoes
01-25-2011, 11:58 AM

512mb or 1GB. Different sites are reporting diffrent stories. With coupons (http://www.valpak.com/coupons/home), non the less im buying one.

It better be 1G or I will be disappointed. It seems like verizon has all the phones now pretty much. they are soon to get the iPhone too which stinks compared to the droid but still. I'm on Sprint and would like to have all the options.

04CiviCon20s
01-25-2011, 12:31 PM

Take advantage of VZW 30 day return policy..Granted you'll pay a restocking fee...Hey at least you'll have the sikkest device out..

bobthebob
02-25-2011, 03:31 PM
@Garemlin

I SOOOO doubt it!

but it would be nice!

gunner1982
02-26-2011, 06:00 AM
Well if Verizon does cap data we can surley blame at&t their the a$$holes that started that crap it would just be Verizon following suit I mean 4g lte is already way over priced as it is u get what 2 gig limit a month for $50 freaking bucks lol I blow through 2gigs in about 2weeks soo Im sticking with my x till it dies by then they probly wont make it anymore

sent from the liberated droid army

misdirection
02-26-2011, 11:49 AM
When is bionic coming out? Thanks!

GunnerT
02-26-2011, 11:52 AM
No, you can't blame at&t. You can the cost of implementing a new technology. And a company trying to make money. You would do the same thing in their situation...you can't operate, maintain, and improve without money. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to pay for it either, especially not that much. But to have a premium service, you pay a premium price. Simple as that.

Garemlin
02-26-2011, 11:54 AM
When is bionic coming out? Thanks!

Sometime in Q2. More towards the end so I would say right around Memorial Day.

JLMitch
02-28-2011, 09:59 AM
All of this is good, and honestly 90% of it goes over my head, but I'm looking for something I miss from Blackberry. I thought it was simple to throw in there, but maybe not? Multi-language support. Right now we've got English and Spanish, but I'm looking for more additions, specifically French.

CrAsH_OvErIdE
02-28-2011, 10:33 AM
Check out the volume hack if you haven't already if you find the call volume is too low.

That is just a quality hack I believe. I have already done that, but the volume is just so low. I won't trash the phone over it though. Overall it is awesome.

<(-_-)>

6thgear
09-23-2011, 12:28 PM
Please read my latest thread before purchasing the bionic

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

TeeX
09-24-2011, 06:13 AM
Please read my latest thread before purchasing the bionic

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

which is....?

where? link?

TeeX
09-24-2011, 06:14 AM
nm.

found it.

firefighterguy
09-26-2011, 01:40 AM
Ummmm.... Its already out...for a while...

"Patriotism is supporting your Country at all times. And your government only when it deserves it" --Mark Twain

BHuber09
09-10-2013, 10:43 PM
Zombies!!!

Tapp'd from one of my Nexus Devices

fezrock
09-10-2013, 11:55 PM
Lolz

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2