PDA

View Full Version : Car mount that works for both the Droid X and the Incredible?

mathminded
01-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Hi there! I've been a long time reader and am finally getting around to posting with my problems finding a universal car mount that suits my needs.

I've laid out the details below, but the basic situation is that I'm looking for a car mount that works well with both the Droid X and Incredible with different cases and batteries equipped.

I bought my X on the release day before the store opened, and its been a love affair ever since. My girlfriend (who, by the way, was/still is quite jealous of my relationship with the DX) was excited to try Android after her Blackberry contract was up with AT&T, and bought the venerable Droid Incredible in early November. Since then, I've been periodically hunting for a car mount that would work for both of our phones. Here's more of the details:
1. It would be installed in a Honda Fit
2. We would prefer a vent mount but would also be fine with a dashboard mount. Both of us feel that a window mount might impair our vision a bit more than we'd like. If it's a dashboard mount that uses an adhesive to stick to the car, we'd also prefer that it doesn't cause damage when removed
3. The mount should be able to securely hold both the Droid X and the Droid Incredible. This appears to be the challenging part, since most of the universal mounts don't seem to work as well for phones of such different sizes
4. Ideally, the mount won't limit one's ability to plug either phone into the power outlet in the car or the auxiliary audio jack.
5. Since we both are probably upgrading our batteries and cases in the future (I'd be keen on a massive 3500 mAh battery for my phone when one's available, and she'd prefer something smaller but larger than OEM), it would be great to have a mount that can accommodate that sort of thing.

Any suggestions you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Droid X via Tapatalk

C Dippa
01-02-2011, 11:53 AM
I don't think you're going to find something that will work for both...you also talked about using a case, and I don't even know of a dock that works with a case, much less a dock that works with a significantly smaller phone from a different manufacturer.

Probably going to need 2 different docks for the 2 different phones. For the X, I really like the motorola one sold by verizon. It does what its supposed to do and works with the car charger. It wouldn't hold the incredible though...

Sent from my DROIDX

Abe21599
01-02-2011, 11:55 AM
I'd just look around on eBay for a size adjusting one that will hold both. Don't expect quality though..

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

mathminded
01-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the replies! Keeping a case on while it's mounted isn't as big a priority as being able to use a non-OEM battery. I like the Motorola one for the Droid X, too and will keep checking E-Bay. I figured this was a longshot, but if anyone was likely to have had success in this situation, I could probably find them here. : )

Sent from my Droid X via Tapatalk

Jawcase
01-02-2011, 02:34 PM
You want a car mount that you can use your droid X and Incredible...
You also want the case to work with extended batteries...

I am building a phone case/phone accessory that does all this!

Anyway, there are plenty of universal kits that work right now if you cant wait, trust me there are more universal kits then you can possibly imagine.

mathminded
01-27-2011, 09:10 PM
Hey everyone, sorry for the delayed response and thanks for all your replies. (My university just reopened for the new semester. This post fell by the wayside while adjusting to my new teaching schedule and my own course load.) I've been making the rounds to various accessory sites without much luck, but it sounds like that's to be expected. Thanks for confirming this for me and helping reassure me that I'm not missing something!

@Jawcase: I looked up the case you're designing, and, frankly, it sounds amazing! I haven't checked for updates in a couple weeks (my next task) but am really looking forward to seeing the finished project. I'm definitely a potential customer! : )