PDA

View Full Version : Undervolting Guide

xrazedx
01-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Undervolting (noob friendly)
This is a guide to help anyone who is interesting in undervolting their phone.
*You must be rooted to undervolt your device*

What is undervolting?
It is simply lowering the voltage to conserve power while still achieving the same performance, assuming your settings are stable.

What are the benefits of undervolting?
-Less energy consumption (better battery life)
-Less thermal output

Is undervolting safe?
-If the values are stable, then yes.

How to undervolt?
Well, thanks to great developers and their apps, this can be done utilizing the right app. I recommend using Droid Overclock by jrummy16. It is an excellent app that allows to you set scaling frequencies and their respective voltages along with other nice little extras.

How to determine what voltages to set each frequency?

Well, there are two ways to do this; an easy method and a manual method (not necessarily hard but more time consuming).

The Easy Method
Download the app QuickClock. It includes a calculator that calculates the voltages for you. Major props JPApps for creating this app. This app is recommended for anyone who is reluctant to experiment with voltages on their own, or who just doesn't want to invest time in the manual method. Even though, this app does the calculations for you, running tests just to make sure everything is stable is recommended to ensure stability. See stability tests below.

The Manual Method
This method is for those of you who just have to experiment, test, tweak, and customize everything for yourself. For this method, Droid Overclock by jrummy16 highly recommended. However, there are other apps that can be used to undervolt, so you are not limited to just this one. However, it is the one that was used for this guide.

To begin, here are the stock settings:
300MHz 33 vsel
600MHz 48 vsel
800MHz 58 vsel
1000MHz 62 vsel

OK, now some of you are wondering, what the hell is vsel?
Simply put, it determines the voltage for that particular scaling point.

Guidelines (READ ALL OF THEM BEFORE YOU BEGIN)
NOTE: In searching for the perfect settings, you may experience freezes at random times. Don't get scared. When the phone freezes, just do a battery pull or simply wait for it to restart itself.

-Recommended: Start from the above frequencies and their respective vsel.
-Not Recommended: You may start from lower values if you so choose, but be cautious of starting too low.
-Recommended: Lower the vsel in increments of two.
-Not Recommended: You may lower the vsel in larger increments but doing so may prevent you from narrowing down the perfect settings for your phone.
-Work with one frequency at a time. Therefore, if the phone freezes up, your problem should be immediately known.
-After each incremental change, run stability tests to see if the voltage is stable. See stability test below.
-Once you have lowered your vsel to the point when the phone freezes immediately, return to your previous vsel setting and run some more stability tests. If it remains stable, then this most likely the appropriate value for that frequency. If it doesn't remain stable, return to the vsel setting before that (simply add two if followed recommended guidelines) and run tests again.
- CAUTION: Do not apply your settings on boot, which is tempting, until you have thoroughly tested out their stability (give it at least a week). If and when you do decide to apply settings on boot, make sure the time delay before they are applied is at least 90 seconds. Therefore, you always have the option to quickly go into the app, after the phone starts, and turn off the "apply on boot" feature.

Stability Tests

What is a stability test?
Simply, it is a test to determine how stable your system is with the given settings.

How do I perform them?
Use CPU-intensive apps and daily activities as a measure for these tests.

What is recommended for stability tests?
-Daily activities. Just go about doing your daily activities.
-Using flash in the web browser.
-Quadrant tests. Running quadrant tests has been an good indicator of stability.
-Camera. Take pictures and record video.
-CPU-intensive games. The game Trap by Matt Wachowski has been an excellent indicator of stability. Just play the game. Its actually quite addicting.
-Making calls. If you don't know who to call, call Verizon (611).

How long should I run these tests?
-Run them as long as you feel necessary. Of course, a few minutes is not a good indicator, but there is really not set time for how long you should do these tests. Just do them until you feel comfortable with the stability of your system.

How will I know if my system is unstable?

-If the phone feels sluggish or freezes multiple times, that is an indication of instability.
-Force closes on apps that worked prior to change is also an indication of instability.
-Basically, you know how your phone operates and you will know when and if it becomes unstable.

Guide still under revision...

xrazedx
01-03-2011, 06:56 AM
The purpose of this guide is to provide information on undervolting and also provide guidelines on doing so.

Swyped n sent from my X

DebianDog
01-03-2011, 07:03 AM
Nice one but I don't think the free version of Quick Clock is available anymore.

Beamed from my DroidX

xrazedx
01-03-2011, 07:07 AM
Nice one but I don't think the free version of Quick Clock is available anymore.

Beamed from my DroidX

Damn, it was just there a few days ago. Thanks for the heads up.

Swyped n sent from my X

pimpannara
01-05-2011, 06:22 PM
yea the demo is all gone, but the paid app is only $1. cheaper than the other overclock/undervolt apps out there, and is very easy to use. i would highly recommend this app, especially to ppl new at all of this

xrazedx
01-05-2011, 06:57 PM
yea the demo is all gone, but the paid app is only $1. cheaper than the other overclock/undervolt apps out there, and is very easy to use. i would highly recommend this app, especially to ppl new at all of this

Yup, its in the easy method of the guide.

Swyped n sent from my X

pimpannara
01-06-2011, 12:11 AM
random question about terminology. what do ppl mean when they say they are "ultra-low volted"? is it some quantifiable term about the vsel's? i see it written here and there and was wondering

xrazedx
01-06-2011, 04:26 AM
random question about terminology. what do ppl mean when they say they are "ultra-low volted"? is it some quantifiable term about the vsel's? i see it written here and there and was wondering

It is a preset in Droid Overclock that is 4 vsel below the default vsel for each frequency.

Swyped n sent from my X

WugFresh
01-06-2011, 04:45 AM
I don't get it.. who wrote this guide! LOL.. kidding, nice job man. I am almost ready to update the rest of my guide. I'll get in contact with you soon once I get the other thing going we talked about.

{{ WugFresh }}

xrazedx
01-06-2011, 06:24 PM
Ok, that's good. Just let me know.

Swyped n sent from my X

Nebben
01-14-2011, 02:21 AM
Is everybody's X different in regards to the CPU speed settings, I am brand new to this and I am using QuickClock Advanced and my settings off the bat are 300MHz/27vsel, 600MHz/40, 800/48, and 1000/56. I would just like a little more clarification as these values don't match the ones listed above. Or is this because you used Jrummy? And should I change?

xrazedx
01-14-2011, 08:36 AM
Is everybody's X different in regards to the CPU speed settings, I am brand new to this and I am using QuickClock Advanced and my settings off the bat are 300MHz/27vsel, 600MHz/40, 800/48, and 1000/56. I would just like a little more clarification as these values don't match the ones listed above. Or is this because you used Jrummy? And should I change?

No, there is no need to change.
Yes, each X is different in regards to the max cpu speed it can obtain and the voltages it can take.
Those voltages are most likely the voltages that quickclock calculated for you.
At the time I got my X, each X had the values that I've listed above, and to my knowledge, those values haven't changed.

Swyped n sent from my X

pandapaul
01-14-2011, 01:00 PM

Those are just standard voltages applied when you load the module. It's been changed a bit in the latest update, which you should definitely get and run the full calibration. The new calibration will find both recommended voltages and speeds, setting your four profiles appropriately. Check it out and let me know how it goes for ya.

Nebben
01-14-2011, 01:17 PM
I just bought this last night so it should be the most recent. After the mod, the values were grey, I hit calculate and they went green. I dropped them a bit more. Right now I'm at 300/18, 580/32, 780/42, 1200/64, with buffer set at 15. It is much faster. But I don't know what each of those values represent in relation to each other, I'm such a noob! Lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

Nebben
01-14-2011, 01:24 PM
And what does the "boot" option do for you in the advanced option? I'v read that you shouldn't reboot for awhile after setting it, is this it?

pandapaul
01-14-2011, 05:29 PM
I just bought this last night so it should be the most recent. After the mod, the values were grey, I hit calculate and they went green. I dropped them a bit more. Right now I'm at 300/18, 580/32, 780/42, 1200/64, with buffer set at 15. It is much faster. But I don't know what each of those values represent in relation to each other, I'm such a noob! Lol

I published a major update today, so make sure you get that. v.1.7.0.2

And what does the "boot" option do for you in the advanced option? I'v read that you shouldn't reboot for awhile after setting it, is this it?

the boot option allows you to make the overclock persist when you reboot the phone. You should only do this with settings you have tested out for a while, but if you mess up somehow and put something there that crashes your phone....

1. Power off the device
2. Remove the SDCard
3. Boot up the device
4. Open QuickClock
5. Choose Advanced > Boot > Disable
6. Power off
7. Reinsert SDCard
8. Boot up

mikeinrichmond
01-14-2011, 05:39 PM

Yes, check the phone out for a bit when changing the OC settings before setting it to boot, but these instructions were mostly for the folks that were using the other OC'ing methods that needed this because they weren't using Paul's great Calibration tool. For all the times I've changed my settings, from Max OC'd for speed, or Max Underclocked/Undervolted for battery life, Quick Clock has never crashed on me once. It's just that good.

Nebben
01-14-2011, 07:59 PM
Thanks everybody! Great product pandapaul! I learned a lot from reading your posts on the andriod forums!

Raytoombs
01-15-2011, 06:27 PM
The more reading that I do the more I think I need this quick clock

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

xrazedx
01-15-2011, 06:31 PM
The more reading that I do the more I think I need this quick clock

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Yea, its a pretty good app, for both experienced and the lesser experienced users.

Swyped n sent from my X

moccor
02-21-2011, 04:28 PM
I have a problem. When using Droid X Overclock, when I change any of the voltages for any frequencies, the frequencies seem to fluctuate constantly between 300, 500, 800 and 1000. Why is this doing this? A restart fixes it, but thats without the settings applied.

jdn1979
04-12-2011, 06:17 PM
Hello all, I am a noob when it comes to undervolting so any help would be awesome! I have Quick Clock Advanced and ran the calibrate portion of the program then went to overclock and chose battery saver. This however hasn't really helped my battery. Could anyone tell me the proper way to use the program to undervolt my droidX. Thanks in advance.
JDN
Gingerbread Rooted

POMF2K
04-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Hi there. I have been using QuickClock and Droid Overclock to undervolt and underclock my processor. My current settings (as recommended by quickclock are as follows:

300 14 vsel
540 27 vsel
720 35 vsel
900 44 vsel

I have noticed recently that when I plug my phone it will restart. I believe the reason for this is that I use CPU Tuner to lock the cpu from going any higher than 720 mhz while on battery. When plugged in it has the freedom to jump up if necessary. So I'm thinking that the vsel value for the 900mhz setting is too low.

My plan is to first restore the x to stock clock settings and see if the same behavior is observed. If not, my next step will be to up the vsel setting a few notches on the 900mhz slot (and likely a single value on all the rest).

Does this sound logical? Can you think of anything else I should try?

xrazedx
04-27-2011, 05:50 PM
It sounds logical. You could also try the manual method to help narrow down your best values.

Relentless

DigiK
05-02-2011, 12:03 AM
Another effective way to test your settings is to use a benchmark to detect lag when under-volting.

First, choose a given frequency you'd like to under-volt and lock your overclock app in at that speed for both min and max. Starting with a standard voltage for that frequency, run Linpack about 5-7 times to note the average peak performance for that frequency. (If you're using non-stock speed steppings, you can use something like DX Overclock or Quickclock to automatically interpolate a 'standard' voltage.)

Next begin stepping down the voltage and running another set of tests and note your performance numbers at each voltage. At some point, you'll begin to notice the benchmark score deteriorates and your phone begins turtling when the processor is voltage-starved. Look at your notes, and choose the the lowest voltage that doesn't appreciably deviate from peak performance at standard voltage.

If you're exacting and want to get technical, you can calculate the standard deviation, but 'eying' it should be good enough. ;) Repeat this process for each desired processor frequency after a day of real-life stability testing for each slot. You can also check your work with the stress test in Quickclock. I've found the stock slots and vsels typically yield about 5 lag spikes per 300 seconds. Aim for a similar number of lag spikes with your own settings.

If you really want to get your overclocking and undervolting perfectly tailored to your device, expect to spend the work week dialing everything in. You'll get better stability, performance, and battery life than with presets. Though it's important to get all the slots right, the lowest and highest are most critical, since your device will spend most of it's time at these frequencies. Find these first, and the middle slots will be cake.

It's also worth noting that I've spoken with Quickclock's developer @PandaPaul about adding a per-frequency breakdown to the stress test, and he hopes to add it to a future version. :)

Snag
06-07-2011, 10:06 PM
Undervolting (noob friendly)
This is a guide to help anyone who is interesting in undervolting their phone.
*You must be rooted to undervolt your device*

What is undervolting?
It is simply lowering the voltage to conserve power while still achieving the same performance, assuming your settings are stable.

What are the benefits of undervolting?
-Less energy consumption (better battery life)
-Less thermal output

Is undervolting safe?
-If the values are stable, then yes.

How to undervolt?
Well, thanks to great developers and their apps, this can be done utilizing the right app. I recommend using Droid Overclock by jrummy16. It is an excellent app that allows to you set scaling frequencies and their respective voltages along with other nice little extras.

How to determine what voltages to set each frequency?

Well, there are two ways to do this; an easy method and a manual method (not necessarily hard but more time consuming).

The Easy Method
Download the app QuickClock. It includes a calculator that calculates the voltages for you. Major props JPApps for creating this app. This app is recommended for anyone who is reluctant to experiment with voltages on their own, or who just doesn't want to invest time in the manual method. Even though, this app does the calculations for you, running tests just to make sure everything is stable is recommended to ensure stability. See stability tests below.

The Manual Method
This method is for those of you who just have to experiment, test, tweak, and customize everything for yourself. For this method, Droid Overclock by jrummy16 highly recommended. However, there are other apps that can be used to undervolt, so you are not limited to just this one. However, it is the one that was used for this guide.

To begin, here are the stock settings:
300MHz 33 vsel
600MHz 48 vsel
800MHz 58 vsel
1000MHz 62 vsel

OK, now some of you are wondering, what the hell is vsel?
Simply put, it determines the voltage for that particular scaling point.

Guidelines (READ ALL OF THEM BEFORE YOU BEGIN)
NOTE: In searching for the perfect settings, you may experience freezes at random times. Don't get scared. When the phone freezes, just do a battery pull or simply wait for it to restart itself.

-Recommended: Start from the above frequencies and their respective vsel.
-Not Recommended: You may start from lower values if you so choose, but be cautious of starting too low.
-Recommended: Lower the vsel in increments of two.
-Not Recommended: You may lower the vsel in larger increments but doing so may prevent you from narrowing down the perfect settings for your phone.
-Work with one frequency at a time. Therefore, if the phone freezes up, your problem should be immediately known.
-After each incremental change, run stability tests to see if the voltage is stable. See stability test below.
-Once you have lowered your vsel to the point when the phone freezes immediately, return to your previous vsel setting and run some more stability tests. If it remains stable, then this most likely the appropriate value for that frequency. If it doesn't remain stable, return to the vsel setting before that (simply add two if followed recommended guidelines) and run tests again.
- CAUTION: Do not apply your settings on boot, which is tempting, until you have thoroughly tested out their stability (give it at least a week). If and when you do decide to apply settings on boot, make sure the time delay before they are applied is at least 90 seconds. Therefore, you always have the option to quickly go into the app, after the phone starts, and turn off the "apply on boot" feature.

Stability Tests

What is a stability test?
Simply, it is a test to determine how stable your system is with the given settings.

How do I perform them?
Use CPU-intensive apps and daily activities as a measure for these tests.

What is recommended for stability tests?
-Daily activities. Just go about doing your daily activities.
-Using flash in the web browser.
-Quadrant tests. Running quadrant tests has been an good indicator of stability.
-Camera. Take pictures and record video.
-CPU-intensive games. The game Trap by Matt Wachowski has been an excellent indicator of stability. Just play the game. Its actually quite addicting.
-Making calls. If you don't know who to call, call Verizon (611).

How long should I run these tests?
-Run them as long as you feel necessary. Of course, a few minutes is not a good indicator, but there is really not set time for how long you should do these tests. Just do them until you feel comfortable with the stability of your system.

How will I know if my system is unstable?

-If the phone feels sluggish or freezes multiple times, that is an indication of instability.
-Force closes on apps that worked prior to change is also an indication of instability.
-Basically, you know how your phone operates and you will know when and if it becomes unstable.

Guide still under revision...

Ty...very helpful

johnnysyeah
06-16-2011, 11:48 PM
I got a question.
I ran the Calibration with QuickClock and it said my lowest VSEL is 17.
But when I go into Overclock option and choose a profile, (Let's say BALANCED), the VSEL for 300 mhz is 20.
Is it safe for me to manually change that VSEL (After I enable FullEdit) number to 17 and leave it at 300 mhz?
Also, when I try to change the mhz to go below 300, I get a little pop up that says "Minimum is 300 mhz"
I know I can manually change the lowest mhz number in the Calibration option, but I'm not sure if I should go any lower.
Would manually changing that number allow me to edit the lowest mhz in the Overclock option?
And through some number testing back and forth, I found out that 228 mhz gives me 17 VSEL.
I just don't know if leaving it at 228 is harmful for any Droid X device.