PDA

View Full Version : Trident Kraken case review

Gums
01-01-2011, 10:02 PM
The following is a copy of my review of the Trident Kraken case as posted on Amazon. If you've already read that one then this is just a rehash. If not, read on and good luck in your quest for the case that best suits you and your Droid X!

I don't know how these cases always seem to slip under the radar but Trident makes a fantastic product! Of course brands like Otterbox and Seidio grab all the attention as Trident is a fairly new and upcoming company. Trident simply hasn't had as much exposure--not yet anyway. Bare in mind, this may add some "bulk" to an already large phone but it's not something that greatly detracts from the overall aesthetics and functionality of the phone or case. It is without a doubt as good a case as you'll ever find. The quality is top shelf. The ports are snug and secure. The headphone jack, hdmi/power ports, camera lens, flash, speaker and mics are all well fitted and protected. Features are very accessible and work well. Volume rocker, power/lock switch, camera/shutter button as well as the menu/home/return/search buttons are all fully functioning and feature good ergonomic design. Yes, it will attract some lint but I must stress that it is very well made with quality materials.

This case would be comparable to the Otterbox Defender or Seidio Rugged series of cases. It consists of an inner polycarbonate shell complete with screen protector followed by an outer silicone shell or skin. If you're familiar with these, you probably have some idea about the size, weight and feel that the Trident Kraken will have. As mentioned earlier, yes this will attract some degree of lint/dust and so on but all cases with an outer silicone design will do that. One thing worth mentioning of particular note. You will find it a little more difficult to swipe the notification bar at the top of the screen due to the outer lip of the polycarbonate shell. The same holds true when moving icons (apps) back and forth between screens. This slight inconvenience is found on other phones as well and may take a while to become accustomed to. It's big, rugged, well made and looks great.

I'd also like to add that these cases come in several different colors as well. The silicone outer shell remains black but the inner polycarbonate shell comes in a choice of red, blue, yellow, green and of course, black. A color choice is a nice option as well. Color can really accent and highlight this device. I regret not getting "Android" green! It really makes the Droid X a more visually appealing device. A real head turner for sure as opposed to the other more drab styles offered by competitors.

Trident also offers what are called "mySkins". This is the outer silicone layer only and comes in a choice of nine different colors. This allows for even more customized color variations.

If you want something smooth, shiny and slick, look elsewhere. However, if you're in the market for a stylish, durable case that can offer the best protection available, look no further than the Trident Kraken case for the Droid X. I highly recommend them!

To find out more check out the Trident Case website.

Motorola Cell Phone Cases, Motorola Droid X Case (http://www.tridentcase.com/motorola-cell-phone-cases-motorola-droid-x-case_26.html)

Thanks!

smalltowngirl13
01-01-2011, 11:16 PM
Well done, nice write up!!

JimMariner
01-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Here is a video review for this product.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubfull3LHUQ

With my posting this, it does not mean I am recommending this product. I AM NOT. I prefer my X Naked. I am only trying to present more information on this item.

Criztaztrophe
03-08-2011, 08:45 AM
I have the RED hard shell and the only problem I have is that when I take pictures the LED lights up the red case and all my pic's that require a flash are red because the case. I'm going to have to paint that area of the case to fix this problem... I haven't painted it yet, but after I do, I will get back to you all and let you know if that works. Besides that I LOVE the case. the screen protector is a fabulous add on.

Ninja636
03-08-2011, 09:53 AM
I have the RED hard shell and the only problem I have is that when I take pictures the LED lights up the red case and all my pic's that require a flash are red because the case. I'm going to have to paint that area of the case to fix this problem... I haven't painted it yet, but after I do, I will get back to you all and let you know if that works. Besides that I LOVE the case. the screen protector is a fabulous add on.
I had the red case and tried darkening the opening that you are referring to. It helped a little, but the problem is still there with flash pictures. The problem with this case is that they divided the LED from the lens. I returned the red case for an all black one, but it does the same thing distorting the flash and making my pics have circular bright reflections on them.

Other than the flash issue I do like everything else. The new Cyclops case they are coming out with looks like the perfect case for me. The area around the camera is one big opening instead of being divided. It appears that on the front of the case at the top of the screen it goes up a little higher making it easier to drag the notification bar. I will have to buy it and find out once the colored ones are available. They told me the all black ones are ready, but the colors aren't out for a couple weeks from now.

Criztaztrophe
03-08-2011, 10:08 AM
I had the red case and tried darkening the opening that you are referring to. It helped a little, but the problem is still there with flash pictures. The problem with this case is that they divided the LED from the lens. I returned the red case for an all black one, but it does the same thing distorting the flash and making my pics have circular bright reflections on them.

Other than the flash issue I do like everything else. The new Cyclops case they are coming out with looks like the perfect case for me. The area around the camera is one big opening instead of being divided. It appears that on the front of the case at the top of the screen it goes up a little higher making it easier to drag the notification bar. I will have to buy it and find out once the colored ones are available. They told me the all black ones are ready, but the colors aren't out for a couple weeks from now.

Thanks ... do you think if I blacked out and opened up the hole a little bit that it would help? I have thought about taking the case back and getting the black one as well... should I take it back for the black one or try and fix the one I have now?

Ninja636
03-08-2011, 10:25 AM
I never tried making the opening any bigger, because I was afraid of ruining it. If you were very careful and used maybe a dremel tool to round it out bigger or cut it to where it's one opening that might work. I wouldn't return it for an all black one though, because the black one I have now still does the same thing to pics taken with the flash. If I didn't use this for my business taking a lot of pictures inside homes with the flash then this probably wouldn't bother me at all.

Criztaztrophe
03-08-2011, 10:33 AM
I take pic's of my kids and pets and stuff so it's been a real pain in the rear going red ... I might return it and get a different case ... I love the overall sturdiness of this case but the camera part is just getting on my nerves.

Ninja636
03-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Yeah, that might be your best option. Or wait until they start selling the Cyclops case in different colors. You can check it out on their website to see the changes I posted above from their Kraken case.

https://www.tridentcase.com/product_30_68.html

Criztaztrophe
03-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Yeah, that's kinda what I'm thinking about doing to the camera opening with a dremil. And I would do that to the top part, but I don't want to mess up the clear screen cover.

Criztaztrophe
03-08-2011, 02:55 PM
A little update on what I said earlier. Cut out the center post and used some of my wife's black fingernail polish. I no longer have the redness when I take pictures.:big smile:

DebbieR
05-16-2011, 10:10 PM
We have the yellow and red and blue in our house. I am very disappointed with the case with all three colors because of the flash. My husband cut it open and painted it and it helped some but the flash at night still shows it. My husband's co-work has the cyclops and she has no problems.

stm_
05-17-2011, 10:47 AM
Weird. I've had the blue version since the day i had my X and have had no problems with the tent of my pictures being distorted at all...... maybe it has to do with the way you have your camera options setup. I've heard that leaving the pictures option on widescreen could cause what you are experiencing. Instead put it on 8mp and see if that helps.

Criztaztrophe
05-18-2011, 12:36 AM
Its not the pictures that are distorted but color of the case that comes through when you use the flash...

Criztaztrophe
05-18-2011, 12:36 AM
Its worse with the red...