PDA

View Full Version : Why so many movie problems?

jkbane
01-01-2011, 01:17 PM
I've had a Droid one, Droid x and an ePad... None of them can play movies off the bat. Why does the Android platform have so many issues with playing movies? Don't get me wrong, I love my droids. But forgive me when I say this. Apple products have a one up on Android in this category. I hope in future builds that android decides to add easy movie playing support. We shouldn't need to do all sorts of file minipulations to get a movie to play on our devices. Which leads me to another point. Im in the market to buying a tablet in the near future. Is there a tab that plays movies with ease? Does the galaxy tab play movies?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

Snarkrifice
01-01-2011, 02:11 PM
I have to disagree. Apple products have the same problem, except between each other. But then you still run into the issue of quality. Some files that look great on an iPhone look like crap on the iPad. It all depends on the format in which your movies or other video files are in - so those file manipulations you mentioned are therefore necessary. There's no way around it - I've got an iPod Touch 3g, a Droid 1, and a DroidX. I don't use the Droid 1 much anymore, but it had the same issue. It all depends on what file formats the platform supports natively. Some third-party apps will play formats that the original doesn't support, but there can still be audio sync issues and more. Best thing to do with all of the above is to use a tool such as Handbrake to recode your video files so that they will be supported by whatever device on which you intend to use them. I've had to recode files for use on everything - but generally, if it'll play on an iPod Touch or an iPhone, it'll play on a Droid. They use a similar format with a different extension. Rename your Apple *.m4v files to *.mp4 and there generally (again, generally!) won't be a problem. And yes - the Galaxy Tab does play movies - with the same disclaimer. It has to be in the proper format. That's the world outside of Apple.