PDA

View Full Version : Dvd catalyst 4?

DJJayito
12-28-2010, 12:02 PM
I have read many people speaking highly of DVD CATALYST 3, but I see they have DVD CATALYST 4, now, and was wondering how great that is? I definitely want to get DVDs / Blu Rays onto my Droid x, for plane rides, and what not.

DebianDog
12-28-2010, 12:04 PM
The Dev (or rep) is on this site all the time I bet he will let you know. ;)

Backnblack
12-28-2010, 12:08 PM
I used 3 and now use 4...well worth the price. You might also want to look at AnyDVD which helps you copy your dvds.

dvdcatalyst
12-28-2010, 12:17 PM
I have read many people speaking highly of DVD CATALYST 3, but I see they have DVD CATALYST 4, now, and was wondering how great that is? I definitely want to get DVDs / Blu Rays onto my Droid x, for plane rides, and what not.

Hi DJJayito,

DVD Catalyst 4 is an upgrade to DVD Catalyst 3. New device profiles, new features etc. Underneath, most of it is the same, but I added a whole bunch of new stuff. A few days ago, as an X-Mas gift for the people who use DVD Catalyst 3/4, I released a beta that includes basic Bluray support (DVDs and video files work without the need of any additional software, but for Bluray to work, you need AnyDVD HD / DVDfab Passkey unfortunately).

More information on the beta can be found here:

Merry Christmas : DVD Catalyst 4 – Bluray Public Beta | Tools4Movies - Home of DVD Catalyst (http://www.tools4movies.com/2010/12/merry-christmas-dvd-catalyst-4-bluray-public-beta/)

For the people who are still using DVD Catalyst 3, just click on the cat-eyes in the program to download the latest version.

DJJayito
12-28-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm brand new to DROIDX, so I have no experience to the product, but SO MANY PEOPLE are raving about 3, so I guess I'll just get 4, since it's an upgrade. YAY! Any discounts? lol

Backnblack
12-28-2010, 12:26 PM
I'm brand new to DROIDX, so I have no experience to the product, but SO MANY PEOPLE are raving about 3, so I guess I'll just get 4, since it's an upgrade. YAY! Any discounts? lol

$9.95 @ DVD Catalyst 4 | Tools4Movies - Home of DVD Catalyst (http://www.tools4movies.com/)

DJJayito
12-28-2010, 12:28 PM
Yup - I saw it was 1/2 price and JUMPED ALL OVER IT!

dvdcatalyst
12-28-2010, 12:37 PM
Thank you,

I do recommend having a look around on my website (especially in the "how to videos" section as well as the Android section) to get an idea of how it works (its easy to start though) and how to get the most out of your conversions.

And if you do have any questions, feel free to shoot me an email, I'm always happy to help.

cameronr33
12-28-2010, 01:04 PM
I love seeing the developers on forums, answering questions and helping people! Keep it up! :)

dvdcatalyst
12-28-2010, 01:13 PM
I love seeing the developers on forums, answering questions and helping people! Keep it up! :)

Thanks Cameron :)

Forums are a great resource for me. It brings up the good and the bad about software, and lets me know what I can improve upon. A lot of the articles I put up on my website are because people were asking about that sort of information on the forums.

plumcrazy
12-28-2010, 06:34 PM
i never used 3 before but 4 is a pleasure

Scooby7274
12-28-2010, 09:48 PM
What he said.^^^^

Diablo98
01-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Hi,

I am new to the DX and being able watch movies on it is pretty cool.
I looked into version 4 and paid the money.

It is well worth it, you can go 1 touch auto mode or play with parameters until your hearts content.
Nice interface and good instruction.

Diablo98...............

afrostdroid
01-30-2011, 10:36 AM
As a longtime DVD Catalyst user, I think it's outstanding. Two requests thought: (i) could you give us a detailed description of how to rip blurays (i've downloaded AnyDVD but I'm stumped after that), and (ii) is there a way to insert "scenes" in the ripped mp4 to fastforward/reverse other than the droid's 30 second interval?

dvdcatalyst
01-30-2011, 07:52 PM
As a longtime DVD Catalyst user, I think it's outstanding. Two requests thought: (i) could you give us a detailed description of how to rip blurays (i've downloaded AnyDVD but I'm stumped after that), and (ii) is there a way to insert "scenes" in the ripped mp4 to fastforward/reverse other than the droid's 30 second interval?

Bluray only works with the 4.0.3 beta, information about the version can be found here:

Merry Christmas : DVD Catalyst 4 – Bluray Public Beta | Tools4Movies - Home of DVD Catalyst (http://www.tools4movies.com/2010/12/merry-christmas-dvd-catalyst-4-bluray-public-beta/)

As for scenes, DVD Catalyst 4 can add scene markers to DVDs, but unfortunately this only works for iDevices. there is currently no player for Android that will support them.

kd0g
01-31-2011, 02:19 PM
Yup - I saw it was 1/2 price and JUMPED ALL OVER IT!

+1
had all kinds of trouble getting movies to play on my dx.. dvd cat is the shiz!

7thCabal
02-20-2011, 01:09 PM
I've been trying to sync movies to my X using WMP... which didn't happen, so I just got the DVD cat4 paid version... converting The Last Airbender as my 1st movie-- looks like its gonna take a couple of hours to do so, is that normal? now I'm wondering how long is it gonna take to transfer to my phone after the conversion.

SVDroidDude
02-20-2011, 03:01 PM
I used Magic DVD Ripper (Trial, gives you 5 rips). The first two attempts the video was horrible. Had to tweak the settings to finally get it right. Output was good but not super intuitive to use. Thought, hmm...okay it works maybe should buy. $35!! I will give DVD Catalyst a go..$10 is quite reasonable.

EDIT: Purchased. It doesn't get any easier than this! Took approximately 45 minutes to rip and then 5 minutes to transfer. Output is fantastic! Highly recommend for anyone who wants to watch DVD's on their X!!

dvdcatalyst
02-20-2011, 03:28 PM
I've been trying to sync movies to my X using WMP... which didn't happen, so I just got the DVD cat4 paid version... converting The Last Airbender as my 1st movie-- looks like its gonna take a couple of hours to do so, is that normal? now I'm wondering how long is it gonna take to transfer to my phone after the conversion.

Speed depends on a couple of things, such as what profile you have selected, as well as what processor you have. The most common reason is that people select either Droid X HQ2 or Droid X HDMI as a profile, and while it produces good quality, for most people it is overkill.
This should help:

DVD Catalyst Conversion Speed Tips | Tools4Movies - Home of DVD Catalyst (http://www.tools4movies.com/2009/12/dvd-catalyst-conversion-speed-tips/)

and this:

Android File-size Limitation & HD profiles in DVD Catalyst 4 | Tools4Movies - Home of DVD Catalyst (http://www.tools4movies.com/2011/02/android-file-size-limitation/)

DVDCat is multi-core enabled, meaning that if you have a dual-core conversion will be about 2x as fast. If you use a nice Core i7, you can rip a 2hour DVD for your Droid X in lass than 20 minutes.

7thCabal
02-20-2011, 04:10 PM
thanks for the replies. yeah I just loaded the DVDCat & chose droid x as the profile, I was really anxious to to try it out-- took all of 3 hrs, but transfering to phone was within a minute or so. came out awesome-- was skeptical @ 1st... NOT anymore, vid is clear, sounds match up I'm very pleased w/ the outcome.
Don't know what dual-core conversion is, my computer is from walmart; win7, 64bit, AMD athlon processor? I'll go read up on the conversion speed tips b4 I do another DVD-- I'll probably end up getting another SDcard a lot sooner if I can get it to convert faster! LoL! thanks.

SVDroidDude
02-25-2011, 02:59 PM
The first two movies came out perfect....sound matched video. The last one is way way off. It is like the video is in slow motion while the audio continues on at regular speed. Looked through the help but didn't see anything that related to this issue. I use Rockplayer and ARC Media...both had the same problem. I tried watching the movie on my laptop and it is sync'd fine. It definitely is a phone issue, but cant find out how to resolve. Thank you!

EDIT: Well, who would have guessed. The STOCK video player has no video lag at all....works perfect! Both Rockplayer and ARC failed this round!!

dvdcatalyst
02-25-2011, 11:35 PM
The first two movies came out perfect....sound matched video. The last one is way way off. It is like the video is in slow motion while the audio continues on at regular speed. Looked through the help but didn't see anything that related to this issue. I use Rockplayer and ARC Media...both had the same problem. I tried watching the movie on my laptop and it is sync'd fine. It definitely is a phone issue, but cant find out how to resolve. Thank you!

EDIT: Well, who would have guessed. The STOCK video player has no video lag at all....works perfect! Both Rockplayer and ARC failed this round!!

Sorry, I didn't get notification on your post in this thread.

All the profiles in DVD Catalyst are tested to work with the build-in players (for all devices except some older PocketPCs like iPaqs and such) The players you mention are software-based players, and don't have full access to the hardware. I know they can play more files, but the build-in player can handle higher quality files because of hardware acceleration, and, it's free :)

SVDroidDude
02-27-2011, 02:04 PM
Sorry, I didn't get notification on your post in this thread.

All the profiles in DVD Catalyst are tested to work with the build-in players (for all devices except some older PocketPCs like iPaqs and such) The players you mention are software-based players, and don't have full access to the hardware. I know they can play more files, but the build-in player can handle higher quality files because of hardware acceleration, and, it's free :)

That is great! From now on I will use the built-in player for these movies. The quality is fantastic....and your support is top notch! You have one happy customer here!!

skygodtj
04-05-2011, 01:11 PM
I too jumped on the DVDCat4 wagon, got it last night, looks good, like the Power settings too..

I have just a couple questions..

1) I cant seem to be able to use the actual .vob file from disks I've already ripped.. I have abt 20 .vob's stored on my hard drive I want to re-do specifically for the X (ripped, formatted for iTouch using Videora.. full instead of wide). I did the Load File and Load Folder, but the line of each inserted is blank, with boxes across each entry..

2) I got Tangled done last night right off the disk, in wide, and looks good, but the title pops up several times during the first couple minutess of the movie.. Do I have to re-rip it to remove that now?

3) Lastly.. and it may be more a Gallery player problem, but Tangled (and several other movies now) seemed to have a slight audio/video sync problem, off by 1/2-1 sec or so.. didnt have it before .. any ideas? There's abt 2GB free on the SD card. I did Tangled in 1500/160.

Overall, like DVDCat4, but cant add .vob files.. does v3 do it better?

TJ

dvdcatalyst
04-05-2011, 05:19 PM
I too jumped on the DVDCat4 wagon, got it last night, looks good, like the Power settings too..

I have just a couple questions..

1) I cant seem to be able to use the actual .vob file from disks I've already ripped.. I have abt 20 .vob's stored on my hard drive I want to re-do specifically for the X (ripped, formatted for iTouch using Videora.. full instead of wide). I did the Load File and Load Folder, but the line of each inserted is blank, with boxes across each entry..

2) I got Tangled done last night right off the disk, in wide, and looks good, but the title pops up several times during the first couple minutess of the movie.. Do I have to re-rip it to remove that now?

3) Lastly.. and it may be more a Gallery player problem, but Tangled (and several other movies now) seemed to have a slight audio/video sync problem, off by 1/2-1 sec or so.. didnt have it before .. any ideas? There's abt 2GB free on the SD card. I did Tangled in 1500/160.

Overall, like DVDCat4, but cant add .vob files.. does v3 do it better?

TJ

Hi TJ, thank you,

1. I'm not sure what you mean here. if you are trying to convert vobs you converted using Videora for your iPod Touch, they should be in MP4 format already, and would actually play on your X directly. Converting these files again will just reduce quality regardless of what you select/change. If the files are actually vob files you created using something like DVDfab or AnyDVD Ripper or something like that, try dragging just one of the files to DVD Catalyst and see if that works. If the files are named something like vts* as a real DVD, DVD Catalyst might try and access the folder as a DVD instead, and if there is no proper dvd structure, it will not work. Moving one of your vobs into a different folder should take care of this as well.

2. Please have a look in the problem dvd section on my website. Last week I added an entry for Tangled, which should help.

3. are you experiencing the sync issue on your X or is this when test-playing the files on your computer? If you play the files in Windows Media Player, they will have sync issues due to problems with WMP itself. If you testplay them in Quicktime or VLC, there should be no sync issues. If it is on your DX, try restarting the X, or perform a battery-pull. Things like overclocking and a massive amount of widgets will also affect playback performance.

skygodtj
04-06-2011, 12:41 AM
Yep, good stuff there. =)

The .vob's are the video files i get after DVDDecrypter rips them from the disk, so they're raw video, not .mp4s yet.. I tried adding several .vob files hoping it was something abt Tangled or the way it was ripped, but, alas, it wasn't.. I'll try changing the folders and seeing if that helps any..

The syncing problem is on the X itself.. windows media player (win 7)plays the finishedfinished .mp4 just fine, its just out of sync on the X.. so I'll try batt pull/restart to see if that fixes it.. not a lot of apps either.. maybe 15 total.. and very few loaded on the phone, nearly all on the sd card of which there's abt 2gb free.. I just bought a 32gb kingston class 4 off eBay, ill get it in abt a week so I'll see if the extra slack space (swap) helps things.

Thanks again.. ill chk the Tangled troubleshoot page you've got.. once I changed the default screen size to 883? it filled widescreen whereas several other formatters DroidX settings kept going to 704pixels.. reeally wanted that extra real estate on the edges. =)

teege

dvdcatalyst
04-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Sorry, I really have to change my notification to instant. I thought I did, but I guess not.

Anyway, if the ripped folder actually contains vob and ifo files like the real dvd does, just drag the folder onto dvd catalyst, and it should be accessed as a DVD. Make sure that the folder where the files are located in is not named video_ts. rename it to something else if it is.

Are you using the stock media player, or are you using something like RockPlayer or a different video player from the market? The build-in Gallery app uses hardware acceleration which is really needed in order to play the files.

mugz91
04-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Catalyst 4 is well worth more than what you pay for it. Had some conversion problems so I sent an email expecting a reply in maybe a week. Within the hour I received a reply and even though we couldn't solve my problem the support was outstanding!!! Very happy customer.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

dvdcatalyst
04-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Catalyst 4 is well worth more than what you pay for it. Had some conversion problems so I sent an email expecting a reply in maybe a week. Within the hour I received a reply and even though we couldn't solve my problem the support was outstanding!!! Very happy customer.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

Thank you Mugz,

Actually it was a little over an hour. I was 2 minutes over :)

Sorry about Underworld Evolution. I haven't had a chance to play with it more since, but its still on my desk. I'm working on turning the beta into an official release, and actually have some good hopes on getting this one to work somehow.

Divey1130
04-08-2011, 03:27 PM
How come when I use the 854*480 setting, it converts to 854*360. That what it plays as on my droid x. Can you give me a standard settings to use so I can watch it with no black lines with good video and sound. There are a lot of options to choose from.
Thanks

Terry

dvdcatalyst
04-08-2011, 03:30 PM
How come when I use the 854*480 setting, it converts to 854*360. That what it plays as on my droid x. Can you give me a standard settings to use so I can watch it with no black lines with good video and sound. There are a lot of options to choose from.
Thanks

Terry

Hi Terry,

Please have a look here:

DVD's to Droid? - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-audio-video/5718-dvds-droid.html#post199321)

It explains your questions in full-detail along with screenshots.

To make the change mentioned in DVD Catalyst 4, enable power user, then in Global Settings > Borders, select "completely remove from device" but before you do that, I recommend having a look at the link first.

Divey1130
04-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Hi Terry,

Please have a look here:

DVD's to Droid? - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-audio-video/5718-dvds-droid.html#post199321)

It explains your questions in full-detail along with screenshots.

To make the change mentioned in DVD Catalyst 4, enable power user, then in Global Settings > Borders, select "completely remove from device" but before you do that, I recommend having a look at the link first.

So I tried to zoom in and I don't have that option. Also in power user which conversion format should I use and should I leave the 854*480 the same.

dvdcatalyst
04-08-2011, 04:07 PM
So I tried to zoom in and I don't have that option. Also in power user which conversion format should I use and should I leave the 854*480 the same.

just change the one setting I mentioned above (
enable power user, then in Global Settings > Borders, select "completely remove from device" ) don't change anything else.

Divey1130
04-08-2011, 04:13 PM
just change the one setting I mentioned above ( ) don't change anything else.
Got it, thanks. I tried a couple different formats and watched each one on the phone and the stock settings for the droid x are fine. I did change one thing which was the sound. I brought it all the way up. One last thing, for a standard 4g+ movie when converted the output file is around 800mb. As I lower or raise the bit rate the size changes as well. Looks like for every 100 bit rate it changes the file 100mb. I only have a 8g sd card and only have 5g left. Is the standard 800 but rate good to stick with or can I lower that down to say 500?

dvdcatalyst
04-08-2011, 04:19 PM
Got it, thanks. I tried a couple different formats and watched each one on the phone and the stock settings for the droid x are fine. I did change one thing which was the sound. I brought it all the way up. One last thing, for a standard 4g+ movie when converted the output file is around 800mb. As I lower or raise the bit rate the size changes as well. Looks like for every 100 bit rate it changes the file 100mb. I only have a 8g sd card and only have 5g left. Is the standard 800 but rate good to stick with or can I lower that down to say 500?

The volume change isn't needed (and actually isn't used) because dvdcat uses something I call Volume Maximizer. This is enabled by default, and overrides the volume setting in the profile. The maximizer works similar to a volume normalizer setting in music players, but also boosts the volume. All your conversions will be converted with the same boosted volume, so you never have to change the volume on your device when you watch different videos.

As for the bitrate, it does affect the filesize as you described, but it is directly tied to the quality. You could lower the bitrate, however, if you go much lower than the actual width of your video, you will experience quality issues, especially during faster scenes. If you want to make your files smaller while maintaining a watchable quality, I would suggest to adjust the screen resolution as well. 500Kbps works great for 480x320 (iPod Touch/iPhone) sized content, but using it for 854x480 is not advisable.

Divey1130
04-08-2011, 04:23 PM
The volume change isn't needed (and actually isn't used) because dvdcat uses something I call Volume Maximizer. This is enabled by default, and overrides the volume setting in the profile. The maximizer works similar to a volume normalizer setting in music players, but also boosts the volume. All your conversions will be converted with the same boosted volume, so you never have to change the volume on your device when you watch different videos.

As for the bitrate, it does affect the filesize as you described, but it is directly tied to the quality. You could lower the bitrate, however, if you go much lower than the actual width of your video, you will experience quality issues, especially during faster scenes. If you want to make your files smaller while maintaining a watchable quality, I would suggest to adjust the screen resolution as well. 500Kbps works great for 480x320 (iPod Touch/iPhone) sized content, but using it for 854x480 is not advisable.

Ya, your right. I just did some more sample videos using Iron Man 2 and 800 seems to be good. 500 was way to choppy. Awesome and thanks a bunch for the help. I tried a couple different converters before buying this and I wish I would have bought this first and saved myself hours of time. 25 minutes to convert a full movie at 800mb file size. Not bad in my books. Thanks again!!

dvdcatalyst
04-08-2011, 04:27 PM
Ya, your right. I just did some more sample videos using Iron Man 2 and 800 seems to be good. 500 was way to choppy. Awesome and thanks a bunch for the help. I tried a couple different converters before buying this and I wish I would have bought this first and saved myself hours of time. 25 minutes to convert a full movie at 800mb file size. Not bad in my books. Thanks again!!

800mb for Iron Man 2 is pretty good. I tend to go a little higher, but now-adays, the Xoom replaced my DroidX for video playback, which has a bit more space available :)