PDA

View Full Version : Case and Dock Question

jmartinez748
12-27-2010, 07:12 PM
hey i have a couple questions for you guys. Do you use a case on your droid x? currently i am using the gel one they had at the Verizon store but i took the case off and the phone felt so much smaller and better so if there is a better case let me know. and finally do you recommend the media dock? i want something like that for my night stand i just dont know if its going to be worth the money.

Thanks!

rolandct
12-29-2010, 02:02 PM
I use the Moto desk dock for my nightstand and am happy with it. There may be a product that's a better deal, but you won't be unhappy with the Moto one. The HDMI out is a nice perk, but honestly I've only used it a couple times.

As for cases I've had my phone since its release with no cover, just a good screen protector. I am not graceful so I have dropped it many times, taken it to the beach and surely other unrecommended things. The result is a phone that's in near perfect condition with just one scuffed corner that requires the phone to be within inches of your face to see. No cracks or noticeable scratches or other similar issues. So you can get another case, you just don't have to unless you're someone that will have a break down at the sight of the tiniest scuff.

redsox 98
12-29-2010, 02:04 PM
I can give you a case suggestion but I don't think you will go this way if you want something small. I am in construction and have been an otterbox fan for years. They are tanks.

ToeJamm57
12-29-2010, 02:33 PM
Bear in mind that cases will not work with a dock. If you don't have a case I would recommend insurance (IMHO).

darkboarder
12-29-2010, 03:33 PM
I have a bodyglove ( i think) for a cover, was an option when I ordered the phone with Verizon. The cover is pretty heavy duty and offers nice protection in my opinion.

I also have a car mount for my X, that suctions on to the window. It works great and with the audio plugged into my car it's nice for navigation and listening to music. The only thing is that I have to take the phone out of the case for it to fit but thats no big deal since I only use the dock when I'll be driving over 30 mins.

ankr
12-30-2010, 08:29 PM
The incipio case is excellent and doesn't add much bulk. I would love to go without one but it makes me way too nervous. Haha

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Zzyyzx
12-31-2010, 07:38 PM
I have the media dock and it's nice. I am a firefighter so it's a nice feature to be able to charge my phone at night and use it as a clock while keeping it visible without having to reach around and pick up the phone. I like the dock menu that activates when you plug it in, but there are apps to get that menu if that's the only selling point. For me, the HDMI out isn't a big deal at all. Perhaps if you were in a place where you would regularly stream media it would be a bigger deal to me.

However, the one big drawback with the dock is you are not able to dock the phone with a case on it. The phone fits extremely snug in the dock. So, if you wanted a case and the dock, you'd have to remove it before docking. So for now, I've just got a screen protector on it. Looking for another snap clip holster. I bought (and returned) the Verizon one (MB810, I think). It was poorly designed. The clip at the top regularly presses the power button and the cut-out at the bottom is not deep enough for the hard buttons and regularly pushes the home key, thus activating the display. My dx wouldn't last half a day WITHOUT talking or using apps and couldn't figure why and I kept ending up in recovery mode. Finally searched the net and found a couple people with the same problem and the case was the cause. Since I've ditched the case, I can easily go for 18 hours or more even using some apps and making calls through the day. I'm looking into the Seidio snap holster as it looks like it's better designed for this problem to not occur.

psychotic_penguin
12-31-2010, 07:57 PM
I use the Epik TPU case, which if you don't know it's a gel case. I use both the home and car docks and the Epik is easy to put on and take off and I recommend both. As for the toughness of the Epik I dropped my X onto my warehouse floor and it actually bounced a couple of times. I was mortified and had all kinds of bad thoughts, but the case kept the phone from getting so much as a scratch.

No protection on a drop like that is gonna leave a bruise, and I baby my X. We all know things happen even in an office environment so spend the $9.00 on the case I recommend it along with the home and car docks I'm an OEM guy through and through.