PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth audio device score (just bragging)

h8isgr8
12-20-2010, 11:16 AM
The postman just delivered a Griffin BlueTrip bluetooth audio kit. I won the kit on ebay for $5.50; it cost the seller $6.82 for postage alone. Should I feel guilty? ;)

Anyway, this thing was made for iPods and comes with a transmitter. I thought I had read somewhere that the receiver would only work with the supplied transmitter, so I didn't have high hopes that the DX would pair with it. If it wouldn't, oh well; no big loss.

Guess what...... IT PAIRED!!!!! W00T!!!!!

Now I have my DX streaming music to my PCM1794A based DAC through the BlueTrips optical SPDIF output. I'm f***ing stoked! ;)

I'm a bit of a tinkerer and already took the BlueTrip apart to see what was inside. The bluetooth chipset is an AIRLogic ABM-400-Mxxx. The balanced analog audio outputs from this chip are amplified and converted to single ended outputs by a TPA6120A2. The TPA6120A2 is a highly regarded current feedback headphone amplifier. SPDIF output is handled with a TI DIT4096.

If anyone ever comes across one of these for cheap, snag it up. There aren't too many BT audio receivers out there of this quality, it's well worth it.

I give this thing a 9/10.

pegscraper
12-20-2010, 12:30 PM
I look at it this way - if a seller wishes he got more for something, he should have set up a reserve price or else started the bidding at the lowest dollar he really wanted to take, both of which are very easy to do.

psychotic_penguin
12-20-2010, 12:31 PM
That's pretty cool, thanks for sharing and I personally wouldn't feel guilty getting a bargain on eBay.

h8isgr8
12-20-2010, 02:20 PM
I look at it this way - if a seller wishes he got more for something, he should have set up a reserve price or else started the bidding at the lowest dollar he really wanted to take, both of which are very easy to do.

Yeah, it was his fault. It wasn't his first time selling something and he should have known better starting an auction at $0.99 with free priority mail shipping.

It's the holidays though and the device did work for me, so I think I will paypal him another $10 to help cover his costs.