PDA

View Full Version : Droid x with Pioneer and other aftermarket radios

robdiculous
12-17-2010, 04:02 PM
Hey everyone first post here. I thought I would throw my input up on what I have found out trying to connect the X to my car.

I have an aftermarket Pioneer deh-p7700mp radio. No auxiliary input. I started looking for ways to connect it to my car. best buy and another car audio place were not helpful. I have found a couple ways to do it.

First off, you can use bluetooth if you have it. I don't so that is out. So I gotta use the 3.5mm headphone jack. You can also use the FM transmitter that people like to say but those things are cheap and suck @$$ honestly. I was thinking i could just use a 3.5mm cable to the 2 RCA input cable but my radio does not have those inputs.

So i had to find an adapter from the RCA inputs to the back of my radio. I ended up finding an IP-BUS cable to 2 RCA adapter called cd-rb10 or cd-rb20 if you have a cd-changer already. This will allow you to plug it into the IP-BUS plug in your Pioneer radio. But using two adapters.

After more research I finally found a cable that goes straight from IP-BUS plug into 3.5mm jack for 10 dollars. The other adapters were around 50-70 bucks. I have ordered the cable and will see how it ends up working.

Just thought I would put my info up here because it took me a while to figure this out.

Droid-Xer
12-17-2010, 04:07 PM
Welcome to the forums and thanks for the tip. Feel free to ask any questions you have.

travisn000
12-17-2010, 04:43 PM
I use a Jabra bluetooth visor mounted hands-free device that also has the FM thing built in... I've been very happy with it.

For those that are true audiophiles, you know that it is not possible to get great sound out of any set up like this, but considering the easy and completely wireless setup that this provides, I don't mind the slight loss of music sound quality at all... but I'm not an audiophile ;)

I mainly use it to listen to pandora, and its quality kind of sucks anyway... with real music I can tell a difference if I use the 3.5mm jack, but not so much with pandora.

robdiculous
12-18-2010, 12:17 AM
i have never used a blue tooth thing but if still uses a FM station i don't think it can be that good. but i may be wrong i have just had bad experiences with the FM ones. i mean yeah they work. but i don't want static at all in my music. i have subs and nice speakers so it is a no no. finally going to be able to direct connect it

Droid DOES!!
12-18-2010, 12:39 AM
Bluetooth works GREAT!! I'm with you on anything that is FM modulated!

Sent from my Droid using Droid X Forum App

travisn000
12-18-2010, 09:24 AM
I have owned a few FM modulators... my experience has been that the source is pretty important... nothing works with an iPod. ..I had one that worked great for kids movies when connected to a laptop but crappy with an iPod. It seems that if they have a strong clean input they they have a strong output.

My experience with Bluetooth has been just as mixed... I had a pair of fairly expensive stereo Bluetooth headphones that worked great indoors but when outside if the receiving ear bud faced the sun it would get very static-y

The Jabra device works great... the sound is always clear, even if I set it to broadcast over other FM stations. The other thing that I found useful with the Jabra setup is that having it on the sun visor puts the microphone closer to me so that I don't have to yell my voice commands (I drive at least two hours a day, so I use them a lot for messaging, music, and navigation... vlingo is great for driving)

greevedogg
12-18-2010, 09:33 AM
In the past, I had an aftermarket Kenwood head unit...I used the 12-pin cd changer aux connection in the back to hook up a 3.5mm headphone jack to it....The connector and cable was made by Belkin. I could not stand the static that transmitting over FM gave off, but this was a great solution to getting my ipod connected to my stereo...

Now I have a Scion XD, which has a direct connection for an ipod right on the front of my dash and I can control tracks and volume right from my steering wheel...The 8GB nano never leaves the car...