PDA

View Full Version : Triden Kraken VS Otterbox Defender!?!?

Vegasmadebro
12-15-2010, 11:36 PM
I cant choose which one I want... I like the color option the Kraken comes with...But I have never owned any other case for any of my past phones. I have always stuck with the Otterbox... I know many of you have both cases... Im just asking those of you that have both of the two, which one you like best. Im looking for full reviews for each of them. What the Pros and Cons are for each case. What you like about it, what you dont. If it fits with the extended battery cover. Please help me make up my mind. I need to get a case for this badass machine. =] upload pics of your cases if you can too =] thanks for your help. DroidX Forums rules.

royolpunk
12-16-2010, 12:04 AM
I don't have a full review, but im sure there's already threads started onthis matter. Look up trident case for Droid x now available and you'll find peoples opinions on the case.

Sorry can't link you im on the "badass machine"

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

Vegasmadebro
12-16-2010, 12:38 AM
yeah but they dont really compare the two cases against eachother... You know what I mean.
I don't have a full review, but im sure there's already threads started onthis matter. Look up trident case for Droid x now available and you'll find peoples opinions on the case.

Sorry can't link you im on the "badass machine"

blackwater
12-16-2010, 09:41 PM
I have the same delima. From the research that I have done. I think the Kraken is a better case, but it does not come with a holster. The Kraken is water resistant and dust proof. It has a material over the non covered openings making impossible to get dust inside it. That is why I am leaning towards it over the defender. I have had cases in the past that have allowed dust/dirt to get inside the case. The dust and dirt caused more damage to the phone that I would have gotten with no case. It acted like sand paper inside the case. It looks to me like the Kraken has better fitting plugs than the defender too. I sent Trident a email today asking if and when they would have a holster for the DX. They replied the first week of Jan.
I don't know that i can wait that long. Right now I have my DX in a Body Glove. Its good for sitting on something and not having to worry about scratching up the back of it. I would not want to drop it in it, and I do not like how the screen faces out when its on your side.

blackwater
12-16-2010, 10:58 PM
Well, I would like to add. That after I made this first comment. I took the Body Glove case off the phone, and sure enough I had dust and a few grains of sand in the case. Mostly between the top bezel. The phone has been in the case for about 30 hrs. I just got it yesterday. I know that if I would have left the grains of sand inside the case they would have scratched the phone. I believe that I would still have the same problem with the Otterbox defender because the mic and camera holes are not protected.
That made my mind up for me, and I just ordered the Kraken case from Tridents website $34.95 w/free s/h. Now for the long wait until January for the holster.

Vegasmadebro
12-16-2010, 11:23 PM
Did you find the location where you can buy additional skin colors for it>

blackwater
12-16-2010, 11:30 PM
No. i have not looked for them . I'm not 100% sure they are available yet. I'm sure if they where you could buy them from Tridents website. They are not going to miss out on selling them at full retail.

noXcuse
12-17-2010, 07:27 AM
I like the look of the Trident. Never really heard about it until now. Just found a review of it on YouTube. It looks alot more ergonomically appeasing than my Defender. And it comes with an optional camer/flash protector. Too bad it doesn't come with a belt holster, or I'd get one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUG_whkMWUQ

Vegasmadebro
12-17-2010, 10:35 AM
The holster will be coming out the first week of january.
I like the look of the Trident. Never really heard about it until now. Just found a review of it on YouTube. It looks alot more ergonomically appeasing than my Defender. And it comes with an optional camer/flash protector. Too bad it doesn't come with a belt holster, or I'd get one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUG_whkMWUQ

jeremyan2
12-17-2010, 11:46 AM
I had a gift card for Amazon for $25.00. I decided to give the Kraken a shot. Love the case, my only gripe is that I have a lot of trouble pulling down the notification bar.

blackwater
12-17-2010, 03:12 PM
I had a gift card for Amazon for $25.00. I decided to give the Kraken a shot. Love the case, my only gripe is that I have a lot of trouble pulling down the notification bar.
To solve that problem use ADW.Launcher. To pull down the notification bar you swipe down anywhere on the screen

corvato
12-17-2010, 03:33 PM

actually, thats a big complaint with the Otterbox Defender also.
I just ordered the ballistic green Kraken myself.. the other colors are cool, but i think having such bright colors around the edges might be a distraction watching movies

hemi1300
12-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Also interested what everyone's opinion is comparing these two, defender and trident. Are they about the same thickness? Already bought the incipio and otterbox commuter, but was thinkin maybe purchasing a case like this for even more protection. Trident looks like a very high quality case, just curious how thick it is compared to the commuter or defender

Mugenlude
12-19-2010, 09:34 PM
Did you find the location where you can buy additional skin colors for it>Trident has them available on their website... iPhone Covers And Cases, Cases For Apple iPad, iPod & iPhone, Samsung Galaxy S & Motorola Cell Phone Cases, HTC Evo & Incredible Case (http://www.tridentcase.com/product_30_51.html)

These colored skins make we want to just get a black Kraken so a couple colored skins can be used...

corvato
12-20-2010, 07:34 AM
I sent Trident a email today asking if and when they would have a holster for the DX. They replied the first week of Jan..

my question is... is the phone reversable on the holster, giving the screen more protection? i know some holsters have this, some don't.

blackwater
12-20-2010, 09:27 AM
my question is... is the phone reversable on the holster, giving the screen more protection? i know some holsters have this, some don't.
Yes, the phone will go into the holster either way. So I was told by Trident last week.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Trilobyte
12-20-2010, 02:56 PM
I just got a reply from Trident that the Kraken holster for the Droid X will not be available until the first week of January. They said that the delay was for engineering adjustments.

maineultraclassic
12-22-2010, 04:03 PM
I like my Defender, but the Kraken looks good too.
I didn't know it was water resistant and dust proof, might have to order one just for these 2 features alone.

Steve

hemi1300
12-22-2010, 05:24 PM
do u keep the defender pocketed in your jeans? My black/black trident will be here tomorrow, excited to try it out but worried it will be too damn big to fit in my pocket. I always have tool pouches clipped on my belt at work so the holster option is out for me, always carry in my pocket. Guess i will find out tomorrow

royolpunk
12-22-2010, 05:33 PM
do u keep the defender pocketed in your jeans? My black/black trident will be here tomorrow, excited to try it out but worried it will be too damn big to fit in my pocket. I always have tool pouches clipped on my belt at work so the holster option is out for me, always carry in my pocket. Guess i will find out tomorrow

Tell me how things go. I need a new case and im thinking the same thing right now.

maineultraclassic
12-22-2010, 06:21 PM
It's ok in the pocket, just a little big.
The case is a lint magnet, but no big deal.

Steve

collett
12-23-2010, 09:11 PM
I was all set to order Otterbox Defender-had one for my BB Curve in the past. I've never heard of Trident Kraken cases so I looked them up. I just placed my order through HandHeldItems.com. (Total order was <$25) I like the way it looks better than Otterbox, and I like that the screen protector is attached to the case and not something I have to apply.

bigmook
12-24-2010, 01:33 AM
I got my kracken today its fricken sweet. I took the otterbox back this case feels better in my hands and makes it more ergonomicly correct.

maineultraclassic
12-24-2010, 04:01 PM
and I like that the screen protector is attached to the case and not something I have to apply.

The defender has the protector built in, don't have to apply it.

Steve

maineultraclassic
12-28-2010, 03:35 PM
Anyone have any direct comparison yet?

Pictures comparing the 2 side-by-each would be great too.

Steve

royolpunk
12-28-2010, 08:39 PM
I was all set to order Otterbox Defender-had one for my BB Curve in the past. I've never heard of Trident Kraken cases so I looked them up. I just placed my order through HandHeldItems.com. (Total order was <$25) I like the way it looks better than Otterbox, and I like that the screen protector is attached to the case and not something I have to apply.

I bought if off Handhelditems.com too. They have a discount code that will take $5 off the purchase and the case is only $26.95. Looking forward to receiving my kraken Droid x case and I will report back to you guys with my opinion on the case.

BeK
12-28-2010, 09:24 PM
Got my Kraken about a week ago and absolutely love it. My only gripe is that it collects lint like a magnet and also the fact that there is no belt clip available for my particular phone yet.

Emitted from my Droid X via Tapatalk

blackwater
12-28-2010, 09:32 PM
I have been using the Kraken case for over a week now. These are the things that I can complain about.
1: It is hard to pull down the notification bar. You can use a alternative launcher to help with this, but what I have found works best for me is to use my pinkie finger to swipe down.
2: Some times it is real hard to hear the caller if they are not speaking into their phone.
3: the skin lifts from the hard case easily on the sides by the screen.
3: the blue hard case is already turning darker from being handled.
4: needs a holster..... i know it will be out the firsts week in Jan(supposedly).

ConqSoft
12-28-2010, 10:18 PM
3) Are you sure you pressed it down into the groove well? I noticed this issue at first also, but once I really made sure the skin was seated I haven't had any other issues.

Akira6713
12-28-2010, 10:58 PM
Just received mine today. I got it in blue. I'm using REVOlutionblu theme on apex, even customized my keyboard black with blue. when I first saw this case last week I knew I had to have it to complete my black and blue Droid x theme.

I like everything about it. It feels very thick and heavy duty. The double case really gives it an added protection beyondany case I have seen. All the plugs fit tight and protected.

My only problem is I bought the Droid x essentials package and now I can't use my multimedia station or my vehicle mount. So so sad.

Vegasmadebro
12-29-2010, 08:41 AM
Please post pictures of your homescreens =]&hellip; please and thank you. FWI I am ordering the trident as soon as it becomes available with the holster. They said beginning of January but I doubt. That is going to happen. When I get my kraken, I will do an in depth youtube video review.
Just received mine today. I got it in blue. I'm using REVOlutionblu theme on apex, even customized my keyboard black with blue. when I first saw this case last week I knew I had to have it to complete my black and blue Droid x theme.

I like everything about it. It feels very thick and heavy duty. The double case really gives it an added protection beyondany case I have seen. All the plugs fit tight and protected.

My only problem is I bought the Droid x essentials package and now I can't use my multimedia station or my vehicle mount. So so sad.

T RAV29
12-29-2010, 10:04 AM
Hey, Just got a Droid X for Christmas. I am trying to decide on a case. Is the clip on the Defender removable?

maineultraclassic
12-29-2010, 05:01 PM
There is no clip on the Defender, it is a seperate holster that the phone snaps into.

Steve

duro78
01-01-2011, 12:18 PM
I like my Defender, but the Kraken looks good too.
I didn't know it was water resistant and dust proof, might have to order one just for these 2 features alone.

Steve

Dust proop I dont know about that one it seems like a dust magnet. Theres no way its water proof, if air can get in (mic along with other areas) water can get in. Dont get mewrong I love the case bt those claims sund a little far fetched.

maineultraclassic
01-01-2011, 03:44 PM
Dust proop I dont know about that one it seems like a dust magnet. Theres no way its water proof, if air can get in (mic along with other areas) water can get in. Dont get mewrong I love the case bt those claims sund a little far fetched.

Just because it is a dust magnet doesn't mean the dust is getting to the phone itself.
And there is a huge difference between water proof and water resistant.

Steve

collett
01-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Got my Kraken earlier this week and I love it! I had Otterbox a couple of years ago when I had BB Curve. I do prefer Kraken mostly because the screen protection is attached to the case so I don't have to apply it or position it. It also feels a whole lot better than the screen covering on the Otterbox I had for the Curve. I also like that the Kraken is shaped better for my hands (kind of small) than Otterbox. It does add quite a bit of bulk to the X, but I suspect the Otterbox would too. I got the black Kraken in case I later want one of the colored silicone coverings to change out.

royolpunk
01-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Got my Kraken earlier this week and I love it! I had Otterbox a couple of years ago when I had BB Curve. I do prefer Kraken mostly because the screen protection is attached to the case so I don't have to apply it or position it. It also feels a whole lot better than the screen covering on the Otterbox I had for the Curve. I also like that the Kraken is shaped better for my hands (kind of small) than Otterbox. It does add quite a bit of bulk to the X, but I suspect the Otterbox would too. I got the black Kraken in case I later want one of the colored silicone coverings to change out.

If I remember correctly the Otterbox Defender for Droid X also has a screen protector attached to the case...

phartwig
01-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Any word on if it will work with with the extended battery? I know otterbox said it wouldn't but does was hoping this will too. I will be switching once the holster comes out.

smalltowngirl13
01-01-2011, 05:00 PM
I use the extended battery from VZW & the case fit fine...I posted pics in another thread & they are in my profile albums too.

Sent from my DX

hemi1300
01-01-2011, 05:07 PM
smalltowngirl, do u have the battery door on your extended battery also? My kraken case doesn't want to snap together at the top corner by the volume rocker when i have the ext battery door on, just i just leave the door off

phartwig
01-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Thanks smalltowngirl I got ahead of myself and didn't read the rest of the threads :) I love this case and will be getting one once the holster comes out.

smalltowngirl13
01-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Yes, I have the battery door on. My case was flush all around.

Sent from my DX

smalltowngirl13
01-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Thanks smalltowngirl I got ahead of myself and didn't read the rest of the threads :) I love this case and will be getting one once the holster comes out.

I can't wait for the holster either! And maybe some skins to change it all up. ;)

Sent from my DX

wicked
01-01-2011, 06:43 PM
I was debating on what case to get for my phone to replace the stupid Verizon case with holster that I got on same day I got my phone.
I considered Otterbox and Trident but decided to go with Incipio just because it's not as bulky as the other two.

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-accessories/11503-incipio-finally-releases-droid-x-case-s.html

i ordered it yesterday and will post pics once it arrives. I got the black on black one.

royolpunk
01-01-2011, 07:28 PM
I was debating on what case to get for my phone to replace the stupid Verizon case with holster that I got on same day I got my phone.
I considered Otterbox and Trident but decided to go with Incipio just because it's not as bulky as the other two.

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-accessories/11503-incipio-finally-releases-droid-x-case-s.html

i ordered it yesterday and will post pics once it arrives. I got the black on black one.

I heard the black on black takes in a lot more lint compared to the red on black one. I just got my kraken yesterday but now im thinking about this one just for the hell of it...

collett
01-01-2011, 08:42 PM
If I remember correctly the Otterbox Defender for Droid X also has a screen protector attached to the case...

I was just going by the screen protector with the Otterbox for the Curve. It was a piece of vinyl kind of plastic that sandwiched around the phone. It felt sticky and never sat just right over the keys on the keyboard. But that was a couple of years ago, so I'm sure you're right and Otterbox has updated their screen protection.

royolpunk
01-01-2011, 11:32 PM
I was just going by the screen protector with the Otterbox for the Curve. It was a piece of vinyl kind of plastic that sandwiched around the phone. It felt sticky and never sat just right over the keys on the keyboard. But that was a couple of years ago, so I'm sure you're right and Otterbox has updated their screen protection.

Definitely. There's always room for improvement though for cases, like finding a technology to make silicone cases lint RESISTANT.

bigmook
01-02-2011, 01:17 AM
Kracken all the way. I no longer panic if I drop my x. Now its mild worry

Judge
01-03-2011, 06:56 AM
Just found this thread and thought I would put my $.2 in. I don't know about any other cases and I wouldn't be willing to put them to the test either. And I'll tell you why. The other night I was trying to unroot my phone so I could take it to verizon about the random rebooting issue. It bootlooped on me. I made a thread and the response was factory data wipe over and over until it works. After data wipe #7 I flipped out and threw the phone *gasp*
There is now a hole in my garage where the otterbox case and phone lodged themselves 3 inches into the drywall. Granted it is your standard 1/2" Drywall+insulation but still....I was impressed. No damage to the phone and after an SBF she runs great! And doesn't reboot anymore!

duro78
01-03-2011, 08:46 AM
Lmao

redsox 98
01-03-2011, 09:00 AM
Getting in late on this discusion and didn't really read all the posts so you have already made your decision. But for me I will never have a phone without an Otterbox. I had one on my old BB and it fell of a skyjack about 25 feet onto a concrete floor in a warehouse. Picked it up and not a problem I had that BB for 2 yrs and when I made the switch to my X it looked like brand new, not even a scratch. The extended life battery will fit in the Otterbox. Like I said decision already made I am sure.

royolpunk
01-03-2011, 09:09 AM
Getting in late on this discusion and didn't really read all the posts so you have already made your decision. But for me I will never have a phone without an Otterbox. I had one on my old BB and it fell of a skyjack about 25 feet onto a concrete floor in a warehouse. Picked it up and not a problem I had that BB for 2 yrs and when I made the switch to my X it looked like brand new, not even a scratch. The extended life battery will fit in the Otterbox. Like I said decision already made I am sure.

Its really just a matter of personal preference.....

maineultraclassic
01-03-2011, 07:30 PM
I think I'm going to wait and see what the holster looks like for the Kraken before I buy one. If it's nearly as good as the Defender, then I'll get one.

The Defender screen first into the holster is pretty much indestructible........which is a good thing.

Steve

Iphone4u
01-03-2011, 09:13 PM
I prefer the otterbox defender for its ultimate protection and performance. I never tried triden kraken because I don't like its bulky feeling and looks.

phartwig
01-04-2011, 01:49 PM
So anyone with a trident that they don't like and want to trade for a defender?

maineultraclassic
01-04-2011, 02:44 PM
I just got an email from Trident, and they said the holster will be out in 2 weeks. They will also be offering it as a package after that too like the Defender.

Steve

Dub
01-04-2011, 03:34 PM
I've had an Otterbox for over a year on my iPhone. It's been a really nice case. My phone has seen some hard use over this time but still looks brand new when I remove it from the case. Very impressive protection.

That being said, I'm in the mood for something different this time around. I hope my new Droid X phones arrive this week. I've already ordered a black & red Kraken case for one. I'll let my wife decide about what to use on hers. This trident case appears to be an excellent protector as well. HHi is great to do business with, too. Very fast handling.

Redman84
01-04-2011, 03:57 PM
The Blackberry Curve comparisons don't apply in this case. I had one with an Otterbox Defender for 2ish years and it was really awesome and still just as easy to use but the screen/keyboard cover was total crap. For the X the screen cover is integrated and much higher quality but has other downfalls. For example: It is HUGE! And it inserts awkwardly into the holster. I wear a lot of stuff on my belt at work like a radio, pager, keys, flashlight, and phone. It is too much of a pain to try and mess with the otterbox's holster. Really hate it. Plus it makes it quite hard to move widgets from screen to screen and my hands aren't that big. You also cannot see the buttons through the silicone skin so until you get pretty good with your phone low light button pushes are a guess.

PaulReports
01-04-2011, 08:30 PM
I have several reviews of cases for the Droid X on my blog, I recommend the Kraken when you're looking for rugged. Check out the full review. (Video included)

http://bit.ly/DXkraken

If you have any questions let me know!

MiniMe
01-05-2011, 02:11 AM
Here we are, well into the first week of january. Any word when the trident kraken case with holster will be available.?

smalltowngirl13
01-05-2011, 06:00 AM
Here we are, well into the first week of january. Any word when the trident kraken case with holster will be available.?

Someone posted that - they had an email from Kraken that it would be possibly a couple more weeks...

MiniMe
01-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Ok I missed that post... but thanks I appreciate the info.

jcraigie
01-16-2011, 01:56 AM
The holsters are available for the Kraken now.

Vegasmadebro
01-18-2011, 02:02 AM
PLEASE TELL ME IF THE HOLSTERS ARE WORTH THE WAIT!!! I want to are what you guys think about the holsters before I give them any more money... please and thank you. And btw. Does anyone with the kraken on their x have a car mount that fits it with the case on it? If so where can I buy one?

=XE=Kong
01-18-2011, 04:40 PM
I am still waiting on my case and holster to come in, I can't wait.

hinds90
01-18-2011, 05:49 PM
Me to. Hopefully it arrives later this week.

Dominick_7
01-22-2011, 08:52 AM
I use the extended battery from VZW & the case fit fine...I posted pics in another thread & they are in my profile albums too.

Sent from my DX

Do you think it would fit with the Seidio 2600 mAh extended battery? From what I understand it goes out 5 mms more than the stock battery. I have the Verizon extended battery as well and I think that juts out about 1-2 mms no?

=XE=Kong
01-22-2011, 05:15 PM
Mine came in today. Holster does not seam like it holds very secure to me. I guess I will have to take it out and see how it does in the field.

Vegasmadebro
01-25-2011, 08:37 AM
It wont fit that big battery. we are lucky the shell fits the regular extended battery

Vegasmadebro
01-25-2011, 08:38 AM
Please keep us posted. Your review is the deciding factor for me if I should purchase the holster.
Mine came in today. Holster does not seam like it holds very secure to me. I guess I will have to take it out and see how it does in the field.

phartwig
01-25-2011, 08:43 AM
I also dislike the holster. It doesn't lock to my belt like the defender did and it is a bit loose in the actual holster itself. First impression is fail. But I am trying it out.

=XE=Kong
01-25-2011, 09:00 AM
Well, I took it with me to work yesterday. To my surprise, it worked really well. I had no unexpected separations. I am a big guy, and usually a phone attached on my belt have problems with some chair arms. This case is slim enough, and with the thumb tab design, it does not catch on chair arms all the time, and does not stick up and push into my the side either. I am not sure I would want to carry it if I worked at a job like the person above that crawls under houses, but for any office, hospital, or light to moderate labor job, this case works well. Overall, I am happy with this purchase. I will let you know if anything else changes.

The holster works good, now if the case was not such a lint magnet, I would be happy. I might have to move away from the black skin.

Dominick_7
01-25-2011, 11:19 PM
It wont fit that big battery. we are lucky the shell fits the regular extended battery

Didn't think it would, but I thought I'd ask anyways to see if anyone that has it could confirm if the material is that pliable to allow an extra 3 mms or so.

Reaver74
01-26-2011, 06:10 AM
Didn't think it would, but I thought I'd ask anyways to see if anyone that has it could confirm if the material is that pliable to allow an extra 3 mms or so.

It's the hard shell underneath the skin that would be the problem. The shells are about as form-fitting as you can get, and sometimes they are too tight even for the phone with an oem battery cover (and likewise don't latch properly). Unless Seidio makes a case for their extended battery, I'm thinking a case is out of the question with that battery pack.

=XE=Kong
01-26-2011, 08:28 AM
Update #2.

Yesterday, I took it to work while wearing my scrubs with just a draw string to hold them up, without a belt. The holster stayed attached with no problems. The only worry I have now is with pick pockets. It would not be that hard to lift the phone out of the holster and run away with it, in a high crime area. I am sure that all other brands are identical in that respect. It gets two thumbs up from me now. I will leave it at that, unless something else comes up.

gwu4751
01-26-2011, 09:37 AM
I prefer the Otterbox case because of the included holster and the ability for it to stand on its own fior viewing. I also like the included hard plastic screen.

Dominick_7
01-27-2011, 07:47 AM
It's the hard shell underneath the skin that would be the problem. The shells are about as form-fitting as you can get, and sometimes they are too tight even for the phone with an oem battery cover (and likewise don't latch properly). Unless Seidio makes a case for their extended battery, I'm thinking a case is out of the question with that battery pack.

Ah ok, that's too bad. Im just going to stick with my beloved Nutshell case then. Getting my it this or next week and it I know it will fit.

corvato
01-31-2011, 09:27 AM
I prefer the Otterbox case because of the included holster and the ability for it to stand on its own fior viewing. I also like the included hard plastic screen.

1st: the Trident Kraken case and separate holster together is generally about the same price as the otterbox case

2nd: the holster also has the ability to stand on its own for viewing

3rd: the Trident Kraken also includes the hard plastic screen protector

Woody
02-02-2011, 09:16 PM
I have had my kraken and holster for a week and a half and I love it, it has protected my x from a couple of falls already. I would definitely recommend.

spmdroidx
02-06-2011, 12:26 AM
Okay, so I have the otterbox defender right now and here are my complaints.
-the rubber is seeming loose now that I've been using it
-the plastic body doesn't seem all the way closed on the upper and bottom left
-it is a lint magnet and seems dirty already after a week
-and the 4 main buttons on the bottom seem flimsy

So will getting a kraken solve these issues? And what are some problems with the kraken if any that users of the case have experienced? The case itself looks very appealing as well.
So people that use the kraken help me out
thanks

Ninja636
02-06-2011, 10:50 AM
I have the Kraken case on my X, and it's been great so far. It seems to fit the phone perfectly. I love the built-in screen protector. I did buy an invisible shield but totally ruined it when trying to put it on, so I 'm really glad its built in on this case.

I have noticed the outer rubber cover will sometimes slip off a little from the side edges when taking it out of my pocket, but the inner plastic case seems to lock together very well.

The only real complaint I have is that the outer cover does attract lint quite a bit. I imagine that won't be as bad when the weather warms up and the static isn't so bad from heaters. Static is really bad around this area.

I have taken the case off a few times and didn't notice any dust under the cover at all.

spmdroidx
02-06-2011, 10:57 AM
I have the Kraken case on my X, and it's been great so far. It seems to fit the phone perfectly. I love the built-in screen protector. I did buy an invisible shield but totally ruined it when trying to put it on, so I 'm really glad its built in on this case.

I have noticed the outer rubber cover will sometimes slip off a little from the side edges when taking it out of my pocket, but the inner plastic case seems to lock together very well.

The only real complaint I have is that the outer cover does attract lint quite a bit. I imagine that won't be as bad when the weather warms up and the static isn't so bad from heaters. Static is really bad around this area.

I have taken the case off a few times and didn't notice any dust under the cover at all.

How is the headphone jack opening? Mine on the defender is at an angle and most aux jacks i have are somewhat bulky and won't allow it to connect because the defender is weird shaped. Is this the same with the kraken?

johnbergsing
02-06-2011, 11:03 AM
I have the OB Defender. I loved the case until I had to remove the phone to pull the battery. The case won't stay together on the bottom left corner, where the menu button is. So now it squeaks and the menu button is difficult to push. I will likely have to replace it because it is VERY annoying. I'm not sure which one of these cases I will get, though.

Ninja636
02-06-2011, 11:07 AM
The opening for the headphone jack is actually pretty good size. So far my stereo headphones, ear buds, and an old Zune dock have plugged in with no issues. It's roughly 10 millimeters wide from one side to the other.

Forgot to mention that it is also a straight shot to the hole, lol! I thought that I quoted you...still learning posting on forums from my phone. : D

spmdroidx
02-06-2011, 11:09 AM
I have the OB Defender. I loved the case until I had to remove the phone to pull the battery. The case won't stay together on the bottom left corner, where the menu button is. So now it squeaks and the menu button is difficult to push. I will likely have to replace it because it is VERY annoying. I'm not sure which one of these cases I will get, though.

Having the same problem here. I think for hard shell cases, the kraken is looking like a winner. Also the OB defenders main buttons on the bottom are feeling flimsy and don't press the button when I push down on them. Have to push them just right.

BenBrown
02-06-2011, 11:44 AM
Does anyone have any issues when plugging in a right angle headphone plug with the Kraken case?

mandog202
02-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Just found this thread and thought I would put my $.2 in. I don't know about any other cases and I wouldn't be willing to put them to the test either. And I'll tell you why. The other night I was trying to unroot my phone so I could take it to verizon about the random rebooting issue. It bootlooped on me. I made a thread and the response was factory data wipe over and over until it works. After data wipe #7 I flipped out and threw the phone *gasp*
There is now a hole in my garage where the otterbox case and phone lodged themselves 3 inches into the drywall. Granted it is your standard 1/2" Drywall+insulation but still....I was impressed. No damage to the phone and after an SBF she runs great! And doesn't reboot anymore!

the #1 reason why i have otterbox cases on all of my devices, two iphones, ipad, my droid x, and moms droid x. Theres been a couple times where my ipad has gone skidding across the driveway after its fallen out when i open the car door, otterbox protects it just fine. Dropped my X in a puddle last week and flipped out, picked it up, and it was bone dry on the inside. However this was before i got annoyed with the screen protector and pulled it off, like i did with all the other otterboxes i own, I get OCD about things obscuring the screen, and it makes it difficult to see in direct sunlight. I'm wondering if the screen protector on the kraken is any better.

anthony010
02-06-2011, 03:41 PM
I really like the kraken case, but I have had the e holster for 2 wks and the clip broke this morning. Its a piece of junk. It s strange to me that the case is so well put together but the holster seems to be a flimsy afterthought

Ninja636
02-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Well I do have an issue with my Kraken case. I bought the one with the red inner case and the black silicone shell. I noticed when taking pictures that used the flash they would be mostly red in color. At first I thought I just wasn't using the camera right or something. After messing with the various settings I could not make the red color disappear from the pictures. I removed the phone from the case taking the same pictures with the flash and they were perfect! So evidently the red part of the case is turning all of my "flash" pics red. The case is so thick that the lens is picking up the bright red reflection from the flash.

I have emailed the company to hopefully get a black inner case to replace this red one. In their instructions it did mention something about the case interfering with pictures that used a flash, but that was only if you installed their clear plastic piece that covers the lens and flash. I did not install that piece when I got the case. I'm guessing that the other colored cases have the same problem.

7thCabal
02-06-2011, 10:57 PM
I really like the kraken case, but I have had the e holster for 2 wks and the clip broke this morning. Its a piece of junk. It s strange to me that the case is so well put together but the holster seems to be a flimsy afterthought

Thats why I decided to get a LowePro Dublin30 pouch for my kraken-- clip on holsters don't do well in my line of work, I use my kraken because it offers impact/dust & limited water protection while @ worksites. During my leisure time I use a light protective case w/ a belt holster or just stuff it in my back pocket.

mandog202
02-07-2011, 06:27 AM

theres another plus for otterbox, their clips can take a beating. Of the 3 i've had for various devices, none of them have been broken, and thats with repeated bumping into walls, doorways, getting it hung on my seatbelt in the car, etc. Back when i was using iSkin cases on the iphone i was going through another clip every few months.

BenBrown
02-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Well I ordered my Kraken case today. They're on sale at Meritline for $26.95 free shipping.

Evil
02-07-2011, 06:01 PM
I bought my Otterbox because the Kracken is just a poor clone of the defender. because its green, doesn't make it more protective... I paid 32.99 with free shipping and got the best possible holster included in the price. I don't think there is any significant difference in protection, which is the reason I bought a protective case in the first place. The defender does exactly what I want it to do ( It has already saved my droid several times )and the holster just makes the deal that much sweeter.

mufnman
02-08-2011, 09:26 AM
I am using a Kraken and found it great. The outer skin is a dust magnet, but I use an alcohol prep pad at night on the skin and it cleans up very well. Also seems not to get as dusty and pick up as much lint.

johnbergsing
02-08-2011, 11:24 AM
What is an alcohol prep pad and where can you find them?

X-tac23
02-08-2011, 11:34 AM
Its a basic alcohol wipe it comes in a 2 by 2 wrapper. you can find them at walnart or best buy.
What is an alcohol prep pad and where can you find them?

X-tac23
02-08-2011, 11:40 AM
I bought my otter box las friday off of amazon paid 34.99 s&h. I got it in the mail yesterday. The case is sturdy it does collect lint on the screen the clip has a kickstand and the phone can be placed in the clip any way you want. I am happy with this case.

Roooler
02-10-2011, 09:36 AM
While i have been a hater on the Trident case.. i took the plunge and bought one off amazon.. i opted for the blue color..

I really wanted a case that would protect against small particles. ( I chop plastic/Teflon for work) When i first put the case i went Holy S*!& this thing i freaking gigantic.. After using it for the night i honestly love this thing.

I borrwed a buddy defenders case for 3 days and i still managed to get Teflon inside the case.. i have yet to take the trident to work however today will tell!!

Ninja636
02-10-2011, 11:56 AM
While i have been a hater on the Trident case.. i took the plunge and bought one off amazon.. i opted for the blue color..

I really wanted a case that would protect against small particles. ( I chop plastic/Teflon for work) When i first put the case i went Holy S*!& this thing i freaking gigantic.. After using it for the night i honestly love this thing.

I borrwed a buddy defenders case for 3 days and i still managed to get Teflon inside the case.. i have yet to take the trident to work however today will tell!!
Can you see if taking an indoor picture with the flash causes the picture to have a strong blue tint? My red case caused the pics to be reddish tinted, so I'm having them send me an all black one. They did say that I could take the case off and use a black marker on the inside edges where the flash and lens are.

Roooler
02-10-2011, 11:17 PM
Can you see if taking an indoor picture with the flash causes the picture to have a strong blue tint? My red case caused the pics to be reddish tinted, so I'm having them send me an all black one. They did say that I could take the case off and use a black marker on the inside edges where the flash and lens are.

WOW just ruined the case for me :( just gave it a shot and holy crap.. BLUE OUT THE BUTT! ill give that sharpie a try.. did they let u keep ur red case also?

BenBrown
02-10-2011, 11:41 PM
Bummer..... I guess when I get mine I'll have "green" tinted pics! Let us know if the sharpie trick works. Maybe compare pics taken with the the "sharpied" case and no case.

Roooler
02-11-2011, 12:07 AM
Well after doing the sharpie thing its a "so - so" fix.. While it did drastically alter the picture in a good way idk.. u guys can be the judge. I think that if you were to do this BEFORE you applied the Plastic over the camera/flash that you have a good chance of "Fixing" this issue.. Rather it be Sharpie or something better..

Blue Trident Kracken Case

* Before "Sharpie" Fix.
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll244/lizloveskar/DROIDX%20stuff/2011-02-10_22-55-20_881.jpg

*After "Sharpie" Fix
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll244/lizloveskar/DROIDX%20stuff/2011-02-10_23-00-47_123.jpg

You can tell that the sharpie did make it a lot better.. However i am still disappointed in the outcome..

Roooler
02-11-2011, 12:09 AM
Outter box is the best I got on a ladder 10 ft up and dropped it on concrete.....nothing wrong

Just to prove you wrong i just climbed ontop of my house and through it as far as i could lol jk.. Trident FTW.. (Jeez look at me im an otterbox person :( own all 3 cases for the X) i really like the Trident tho :)

BenBrown
02-11-2011, 05:57 AM
Well after doing the sharpie thing its a "so - so" fix.. While it did drastically alter the picture in a good way idk.. u guys can be the judge. I think that if you were to do this BEFORE you applied the Plastic over the camera/flash that you have a good chance of "Fixing" this issue.. Rather it be Sharpie or something better..

Blue Trident Kracken Case

* Before "Sharpie" Fix.
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll244/lizloveskar/DROIDX%20stuff/2011-02-10_22-55-20_881.jpg

*After "Sharpie" Fix
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll244/lizloveskar/DROIDX%20stuff/2011-02-10_23-00-47_123.jpg

You can tell that the sharpie did make it a lot better.. However i am still disappointed in the outcome..

Maybe making the camera lens hole larger would eliminate the problem. There are stepped, cone shaped drill bits in graduated sizes that would do the trick easily and cleanly. I'll have to try that when I get mine. Doing this on a drill press would be the only sensible way though.

Bub@Station1
02-11-2011, 08:55 AM
I have had my DX in a Kraken for a week now and trust it to protect my investment. It does make the DX larger but much easier to hold onto since I have big hands I don't find that a problem but only for carrying it around. I am using the Lowepro Dublin 30 but the elastic around the opening at the top of the Dublin makes it hard to get in and out since the rubber outer shell of the Kraken wants to catch. It works for now until I might find something better but I will say I have a hard time hearing my phone ringing since the DX has a low volumn ringer to begin with.

Ninja636
02-11-2011, 06:52 PM
WOW just ruined the case for me :( just gave it a shot and holy crap.. BLUE OUT THE BUTT! ill give that sharpie a try.. did they let u keep ur red case also?
Actually they wanted me to ship the one I have now back to them, and then they would ship me a new one. I didn't want to have no case over this expensive phone, so I bought an all black one online and when I get it I'll ship the red one back for credit.

I didn't think about having that clear cover for the camera attached to the case. I didn't attach that to mine, but yeah that would be really difficult to color in without taking it off first. I'm kinda wondering if they should have just made one larger hole that goes around both flash and lens rather than dividing it like they did. If it's an issue I'll drill it out, lol! :D

Ninja636
02-12-2011, 04:49 PM
Well I got the all black Kraken case today, and I 'm still having issues taking flash pictures. It doesn't show a red tint anymore, but there's bright circular reflections on all of them. I guess I will call them back Monday to set up a refund and ship both cases back. : (

I wonder how many people with one of these cases think their camera just sucks and its really the case causing the poor quality photos.

hemi1300
02-12-2011, 06:35 PM
not sure how u guys are experiencing these camera problems. I have both the black/black and green/black trident and have not noticed a single problem with the camera. I think the camera alone is kind of crap on this phone anyway, but have never noticed a greenish tint while using my green case

Ninja636
02-12-2011, 07:04 PM
Hemi, are you referring to pics taken with the flash? The ones I am having problems with are indoor fairly closeup pics. When I have some free time I'll try to take some with and without the case.

hinds90
02-12-2011, 07:04 PM
LOL I took like 3 pics and a video today on a drive up pine mountain in GA and never had one problem but then again all my cases are black. I've had both the otterbox and kraken. Never understood the need for colored cases anyway black matches with just about anything.

hemi1300
02-12-2011, 07:57 PM
hinds90, just noticed u have both the kraken and defender, would like to ask u how u like the two compared to each other. Really love the trident case, but i wish the holster was better made. Have been thinking about giving the defender a shot just bc the holster is supposed to be so much better, but then i would probably be unhappy with the case compared to the kraken

jdmpwr07
02-12-2011, 09:33 PM
Just picked up an Otterbox Defender and couldn't be happier. I was tired of constantly being concerned over scratching my phone. Fit and finish is good and easy to put together.

lexodroidx
02-12-2011, 09:39 PM
I am very happy with the Otterbox defender. I managed to find a car dock for it as well.

USMC_jd
02-12-2011, 09:41 PM
I am very happy with the Otterbox defender. I managed to find a car dock for it as well.

What are you using as a car dock?

rdtournay
02-13-2011, 12:12 AM
I modified an extra belt clip holder from my defender case. Drilleda hole through the top part of the clip (so it would still swivel) also drilled an access hole in the case to get a small bolt through it and drilled a small hole in my dash. Drilled another hole where the charger goes to access while docked so the volume buttons are accessible and it works perfectly.. just fold up the flap where the charger plugs in and snaps securely in the dock. Just wish my explorer had blue tooth, but the fm modulator works good enough for now and was cheap.
What are you using as a car dock?

Liberty 1.5
Watermarkd
Just how I like it... today.

rdtournay
02-13-2011, 12:22 AM
http://184.72.239.143/mu/4b9124ed-788d-fdf4.jpg

Liberty 1.5
Watermarkd

hinds90
02-13-2011, 08:09 AM
For protection you can't go wrong with either case. I personally think the kraken fits better than the otterbox. My otterbox case would never fully snap together on the bottom left corner so everytime I would press the menu button the case would squeak. The outter rubber skin on the otterbox fit really loose and was much more slippery than the Trident. As far as holsters go I don't have the Trident one but the otterbox was nice and strong.

USMC_jd
02-13-2011, 11:01 AM

Liberty 1.5
Watermarkd

That is awesome! I just wouldn't want to drill a hole in my dash. Looks good though.

coltzfan
02-13-2011, 01:53 PM
well as a noob to the X, I have watched several videos on both cases and read multiple reviews, I am leaning towards the otterbox. I had an otterbox defender on my blackberry and loved it. My OG droid has the Seidio innocase and have enjoyed it. I like the looks of the defender and coming with a holster is an added plus for me.

BTW the car dock looks awesome.

rdtournay
02-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Thanks. Works and cheap... company vehicle... small hole wouldn't hurt..lol

Liberty 1.5
Watermarkd

jmckemy
02-13-2011, 04:30 PM

Liberty 1.5
Watermarkd
Did you have a Kraken case on when you took this picture? If so was it the Black one or Green one? I'm really wanting to get the Kraken but the picture issues bum me out. I have a three year old that I like to take random shots of.

rdtournay
02-13-2011, 05:58 PM
No. I have the otter box defender. Sorry.

Liberty 1.5
Watermarkd

jmckemy
02-14-2011, 01:22 PM
Ok, I just ordered my Kraken.

liberateddroid
02-14-2011, 01:40 PM
i have the kraken case and i love it. my only complaint is the fact that the trident website is sold out of there clips... i have been looking for a belt clip for this case. in my line of work (i work for Honda) i really need a belt clip because our uniforms are white and i mean lots of lint is a understatement, also it is hard to get the phone in and out of my pocket with our uniforms. anyone know where i can get the belt clip other then the manufacturers website?

swampfox44
02-21-2011, 06:33 PM
Trident has the holsters back in stock. Ordered one last night

liberateddroid
02-22-2011, 04:36 AM
Yea I ordered mine Saturday hopefully I like it cause I really like the kraken.
Sent from my Liberated Droid X!

TheFandroid
02-22-2011, 09:37 PM
The Defender is absolutely amazing, period. The best protection money can buy IMO.

Mack450
03-29-2011, 08:29 PM
Hey guys...

I have been a picky dude when it comes to cases...and I have finally found a case that I am going to stick with...that is the Otterbox Defender!

I have the Otterbox Defender, Otterbox Commuter, and Trident Kracken...

I liked the Commuter alot but it was too slippery feeling and didnt provide as much protection as I wanted. I work in a shop so I am constantly running around and my phone gets a good amount of abuse.

The Kracken was a great case but the built in screen protector became scratched in less than a week. The built in screen protector also did not fit the droid X very well. I felt like it sat above the screen a bit and every time I hit the screen the screen protector was pushed down on the screen. Very annoying feeling when trying to text. I also found is impossible to install the case without having dust under the screen protector...which was very annoying.

The Otterbox defender is pricey at $50...that is pretty much the only flaw I can find with it...

I can not feel the built in screen protector at all...and i installed it with no dust under the screen at all...the built in screen protector is also much thicker and offers much better protection. It also is scratch free...and seems to hold up much better than the Krackens built in screen protector.

The Flaps on the Defender are also a little but better...they fit in much better and are def never going to come loose.

I also love the holster....I have never been a fan of holsters but I have been wearing this one and I love it.

The only flaws I can find with the Defender is the area were the case goes over the buttons that area can be lifted up somewhat easy and the case costs $50...whcih sucks a little.

To me the kracken is 7/10 and the defender is 9/10

fabian castro
03-29-2011, 09:23 PM
I love my otterbox! Awesome protection! A little big but worth it if you don't mind

maineultraclassic
03-30-2011, 04:12 PM
I've been using the Defender for the past 3 months, actually gone thru 3 of them having them swapped out with Otterbox due to the inner case not staying tight.
I just got a Kraken case yesterday, and it is so much better then the defender. The outer silicone case fits so much tighter and stays in place. The inner case snaps together tight and stays tight. It's dust proof. Only downfall is the lack of a quality holster for it. I'm going to try the RocketFish pouch for it, fits good, just needs some mods to work perfect.

Steve

hemi1300
03-30-2011, 05:08 PM
the rocketfish pouch does fit the kraken nicely, but i just can't wear that thing on my hip, it just looks so goofy and it's huge. I have done a few small mods to my kraken holster and it works like a champ now and the phone fits very secure. I have snagged it many times on top of an 8' ladder at work, climbed through attics and under desks, not once has the case come off my belt or the phone come out of the holster.

anthony010
03-31-2011, 07:16 AM
Kraken not all its cracked up to be. UPDATE. My holster broke the first week I had it. Now the soft plastic wont stay in the crevices that they are supposed to.I get dust and dirt under my pprotective built in screen...how? I don't know. Mighhr check out the Otterbox.

spmdroidx
04-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Yeah I get a few things of lint around my screen protector but never under. I would get that replaced... but the only thing otterbox wins with is the screen protector and holster. The kraken is such a better case and nothing is wrong with its screen protector and there are a lot of alternative holsters. The rocketfish holster is a bit goofy looking after I bought it. But the dx looks goofy in the outside no matter what, ha, its just soo huge!

Aquamadman
04-06-2011, 12:10 PM
I have an otter box defender, love this case, I dropped it from two stories while putting up some crown molding, not a scratch on my phone!! My only complaint is that even though the holster holds my phone firmly in place it is hard to get the phone out of the holster with one hand.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

spodoc
04-06-2011, 12:47 PM
I have an otter box defender, love this case, I dropped it from two stories while putting up some crown molding, not a scratch on my phone!! My only complaint is that even though the holster holds my phone firmly in place it is hard to get the phone out of the holster with one hand.

Awesome.

corvato
04-10-2011, 04:34 PM
the camera problems with the kraken are NOT the case... its the optional protector. i took multiple pictures perfectly with the optional protector off... as soon as i put the protector on, i had green hazes on my flash photos. i liked the idea of the camera protection on the kraken, but because of the glare from the flash, i took it off.

Ninja636
04-10-2011, 05:28 PM
the camera problems with the kraken are NOT the case... its the optional protector. i took multiple pictures perfectly with the optional protector off... as soon as i put the protector on, i had green hazes on my flash photos. i liked the idea of the camera protection on the kraken, but because of the glare from the flash, i took it off.
Well I have to strongly disagree with you. I never installed the optional clear cover you're talking about on my red/black case, but all of my pics with the flash had a red haze on them (some worse than others). When I take the phone out of the case to take pictures that problem disappears. I even switched the red case for an all black one (not installing the optional cover) and the pics were still distorted from the flash. The new case they came out with (Cyclops) has no divider in between the lens and the flash, and all of the other cases I've seen are one open area for both. They screwed up when they made it the way they did, but not everyone that buys one will even notice the problem or have it bother them if they don't take low light pics.

spmdroidx
04-10-2011, 05:41 PM
I modded mine so no flash comes over, it looks a lot better. I uses someone elses trick, I forget who, and placed electric al tape on the cases divider.

=XE=Kong
05-13-2011, 11:01 PM
Well, I have a new type of review for the Kraken. Last month I had a house fire. Everything was severely smoke damaged all the way through the house. The heat rolling in to my living room warped my Dell U3011 monitor, and even melted some of my HAF X computer case. Laying on the desk was my Droid X inside of the Kraken. When looking for things, I ran across my phone. The outside of the case was all nasty, with burn debris, and I figured my phone was toast. The smoke even got inside my closed washer and dryer down the hall, two rooms down. I popped the cover off the Kraken, and low and behold there was not a smudge of anything, the phone was in perfect shape without a anything on the screen, thanks to the filters. I don't know if Kraken would replace the case, but it did a really great job of protecting the phone from the black stuff and ash from the fire. Thanks Trident.

maineultraclassic
05-14-2011, 06:28 AM
Damn............now that's protection!!

Steve

kingkermit
05-14-2011, 07:03 AM
I would send in the story and pictures of the case and phone and will moat likely replace e the case and ask to use the story as a testimonial. That is a hugh plus in my eyes. Thanks for the info and I hope you get everything back in order. Fires can be devastating,

=XE=Kong
05-14-2011, 01:45 PM
I sent the story too them under the contact us. I don't know if they will replace it, it would be nice. I was just so surprised the filters worked that well.

digmydroidx
05-20-2011, 11:03 AM
I have the kraken for my X love it but yes the clip broke for me too...I modded it sent them pictures with no response

Sent from my awesome rooted Droid X on tapatalk

=XE=Kong
05-28-2011, 10:29 PM
A quick update. They were very nice and did give me an rma for the case and said they would replace it. Thanks Trident.

Dr. Sleep
06-15-2011, 02:58 PM
I have owned both the otterbox defender and now the trident kraken. I prefer the kraken hands down for all the reasons stated here and elsewhere. I only wish they had a better holster /belt clip for the kraken.

hillbilliegreg
06-15-2011, 03:11 PM
Ditto for the kraken
Its the bomb and its so sexy, the chicks digg its.

Wangstang
01-04-2012, 09:08 PM
Knocking the dust off of an old thread....

Does any one have a comparison between the Otterbox Defender, Trident Kraken and the Trident Kraken II for the Droid X?

Thanks
Wes

EDGmb810
01-06-2012, 01:59 PM
Knocking the dust off of an old thread....

Does any one have a comparison between the Otterbox Defender, Trident Kraken and the Trident Kraken II for the Droid X?

Thanks
Wes

Haven't tried the Otterbox but have just recently purchased the KrakenII.

I like the Kraken2 but there is one major flaw for which I think you should avoid it: Where the two halves of the case meet is also where the case clips to the holster and when I try to pull the cased phone out of the holster it pulls the case apart and I have to press it back together every time. That sucks.

Here's some pics:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-au5UtgV90tA/TwdYJeQXXyI/AAAAAAAACfs/BQEA_2nb7H4/s800/tridentkraken2-4.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-M53ksj0hmfI/TwdYH-w8ADI/AAAAAAAACfo/od0DsWRJYyE/s800/tridentkraken2-3.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-H9dDtZCySrI/TwdYLOCgx3I/AAAAAAAACfw/SvUqqL7r774/s800/tridentkraken2-5.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-fuztn4slQhw/TwdYMuLGgcI/AAAAAAAACf0/kjPmVoduzxg/s640/tridentkraken2-6.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-6vpCU8KOeWk/TwdYOVHY_qI/AAAAAAAACf4/lg8-VSjlCJE/s400/tridentkraken2-7.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-CNBYENWXD8I/TwdYQLOUyKI/AAAAAAAACf8/G59xWdLYjqU/s640/tridentkraken2-8.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-jvxx3BBMPJs/TwdYR5k0qsI/AAAAAAAACgA/YxY_VWjxoak/s640/tridentkraken2-9.jpg

Wangstang
01-14-2012, 10:30 PM
Interesting. I'm not a holster user so it's not an issue for me. It would be worth while to send a message to Trident and see if they have any advice.

Wes

bulldog485
01-14-2012, 10:56 PM
I have both and find that the Otterbox is the superior case and holdster. Just my opinion.

EDGmb810
02-02-2012, 08:45 AM
I have both and find that the Otterbox is the superior case and holdster. Just my opinion.

just put on my new otterbox defender last night and it is definetly a great case and holster. all the plusses of the krakenII without the flaws. got it at amazon for 27.10 shipped:

Amazon.com: OtterBox Motorola Droid X Defender Series Case: Cell Phones & Accessories (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00413NSUQ)

stryker
02-02-2012, 09:23 AM
I bought an otter box defender when i first got my phone. It's all right. The design is kinda bunk. The case comes off the edges every time you take it out of your pocket. Plus the only color is black. I have the trident cyclops now it's so much better imo then the otter box is. At least for the x it is. Plus i got 3 different skin colors for the cyclops. They're both awesome cases and saved my phone numerous times. I just prefer the trident case. I like to have color options.

=(.stryker.does.dezign.)=

creamsteve
02-02-2012, 09:58 AM
Just don't buy Incipio. The first case I bought from them broke within a month. They gave me a replacement which lasted a little longer, but came to the same fate. 30 bucks down the drain and my X is naked.

peon883
02-04-2012, 11:54 PM
Trident Electra 2 on my dx and I love it! The battery with the vorteX rc1 rom is great, I get 18-20 hours from it. Case fits great and no lint on it ever, every now and again I do get dust between the screen and the screen protector. Have stepped on my phone and dropped it a bunch and its still fine! I hate the holster but im not a holster kind of guy lol. Had an otter box and sold it the same day I got it to buy this one lol im now a trident guy for life.

DROIDX/vorteX

crosby87
02-05-2012, 02:35 AM
Get the kraken I got one and I love it ALOT!!!!

peon883
02-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Get the kraken I got one and I love it ALOT!!!!

The kraken 2 is much better.... Different design and the silicon skin fits like it should....

DROIDX/vorteX

stryker
02-05-2012, 02:15 PM
The kraken 2 is much better.... Different design and the silicon skin fits like it should....

DROIDX/vorteX

Yeah the new kracken looks killer!! They came out with the model 2 cases like a month after i had bought my Cyclops. I was like dam it!! But my upgrade is up in March and I'm getting nexus. hopefully by then the kracken is out for the nexus. Because I'm a landscaper and if i don't have a rugged case. My phone will be destroyed in a day lol.

-=(.Stryker.does.dezign.)=-

BHuber09
02-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Wow!! The new kraken is the bomb!

FreeMyMoto!!!

peon883
02-05-2012, 02:43 PM
Yeah the new kracken looks killer!! They came out with the model 2 cases like a month after i had bought my Cyclops. I was like dam it!! But my upgrade is up in March and I'm getting nexus. hopefully by then the kracken is out for the nexus. Because I'm a landscaper and if i don't have a rugged case. My phone will be destroyed in a day lol.

Yea I know what you mean.. I work in a coal mine and I drop my phone alot. Only thing i don't like is the screen cover doesn't cover the led part next to the ear speaker, allowing dust in. Oh Yeah I forgot to mention it has a kickstand!

DROIDX/vorteX

stryker
02-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Yea I know what you mean.. I work in a coal mine and I drop my phone alot. Only thing i don't like is the screen cover doesn't cover the led part next to the ear speaker, allowing dust in. Oh Yeah I forgot to mention it has a kickstand!

DROIDX/vorteX

Haha, my grandmas wooden leg got a kickstand. I have the Cyclops now. i don't really get dirty anywhere. I do get a little by were the led light is, but that's it. The built in screen does stick to the screen sometimes which is annoying. But you can pop it right off and use a zag instead. My otter box defender screen protector got so scratched i took it off and put on the zag and still use the case. My Cyclops is almost ready to get popped off.

peon883
02-05-2012, 04:45 PM
I had the kraken 1 before I got this one and I replaced its screen protector but it allowed more dust to get in, would be nice if they made a replacement one that had glue to hold it in.

DROIDX/vorteX

stryker
02-05-2012, 06:05 PM
I had the kraken 1 before I got this one and I replaced its screen protector but it allowed more dust to get in, would be nice if they made a replacement one that had glue to hold it in.

DROIDX/vorteX

Dust got into mine also when i took the built in protector off. But thats all right, the zag is awesome and keeps the screen scrAtch free!! But the case has saved my phone so many times i lost count.

music_man185
03-13-2012, 08:30 PM
I bought an otter box defender when i first got my phone. It's all right. The design is kinda bunk. The case comes off the edges every time you take it out of your pocket. Plus the only color is black. I have the trident cyclops now it's so much better imo then the otter box is. At least for the x it is. Plus i got 3 different skin colors for the cyclops. They're both awesome cases and saved my phone numerous times. I just prefer the trident case. I like to have color options.

=(.stryker.does.dezign.)=

i have the defender right now, but i'm not happy with it. i work in construction, so i need that ultimate level of protection. do you find that the cyclops offers as much protection as the defender? or would i still need the kraken?

and has there been any changes to the kraken 2 holster since it was first released? it is still weak/cheaply made and does it still pry the case apart when you take it out?

stryker
03-13-2012, 09:08 PM
i have the defender right now, but i'm not happy with it. i work in construction, so i need that ultimate level of protection. do you find that the cyclops offers as much protection as the defender? or would i still need the kraken?

and has there been any changes to the kraken 2 holster since it was first released? it is still weak/cheaply made and does it still pry the case apart when you take it out?

My Cyclops is pretty much the same as the otterbox defender. But trident changed the designs on all there cases like a month after i got mine. So i can't comment on the kracken holster. I use my otterbox defender holster with my cyclops and it works fine. The new cases look awesome!! I know i drop my phone all the time and its constantly in the dirty and mud. My phone looks like the day i bought it still. Trident cases are a must if you have an active lifestyle or a dirty job.

=(.stryker.originals.miui.)=