PDA

View Full Version : Play HD Video through HDMI to TV

LexLuthor
12-15-2010, 08:28 PM
I have an HD movie that I was hoping to play from my phone, through the HDMI cable to my TV in HD quality.

The movie is in an .mp4 container and it's H.264 codec, 1280x528, 23.97fps Audio is AAC, 5.1.

The video doesn't play in the stock player or mvideoplayer.

In rockplayer, the video plays, but it's too choppy to watch.

Is it because the resolution is too high or is it the bitrate is too high, maybe?

The whole reason that I got the HDMI cable was so that I could watch HD quality video on my TV. Other than my cable box, I have no way to get HD video into the TV, so I was hoping that the phone would be the way to do it.

Am I doing something wrong or am I going to have to re-encode this video to something less than HD?

If so, what should I re-encode to in order to get the best quality, but still have the phone output it to the TV?

enyalius
12-15-2010, 10:09 PM
Sorry to do this to you, but (as of right now) the only way to output from your phone to a TV via HDMI is to use the "Gallery" app. If it plays in the "gallery" app (ie video you record with your Droid X, pictures, etc), then it can be shunted to your TV. I can do some digging to see what format/bitrate you need to re-encode in, if you'd like!

dvdcatalyst
12-15-2010, 10:41 PM
I did some tests with HD and HDMI a couple of posts back

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-audio-video/12117-droid-x-plays-hd-720p-mp4-file-samples-post-need-testing-hdmi-plz.html

I added some sample videos as well as information.
the 5.1 will probably be the biggest issue.

CrAsH_OvErIdE
12-15-2010, 11:12 PM
Okay.... This one hurts me a little. I was really looking forward to playing old SNES roms on my t.v. using the phone for a controller.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

CrAsH_OvErIdE
12-15-2010, 11:13 PM
Someone p.m. me with patch when you figure it out please.

greevedogg
12-16-2010, 12:16 AM
Haven't done this myself yet, but I would try the app RealHDMI...you need to be on stock ROM or a blur-based ROM as RealHDMI needs framework files that are embedded in MotoBlur...you can get the HDMI to pump out whatever is on the droid x...unfortunately, you can't see both screens at the same time...

As for playing NES ROMs on your tv, IF you can get RealHDMI to work, get NESoid up and running, and couple that with Wiicontroller....that would be SSSSSIIIIICCCCCKKK!!!!!!

C Dippa
12-16-2010, 01:12 AM
Greevedogg...can confirm that it works with NES and the wiimote. Just need to be rooted and get Real HDMI.

Played some Contra not too long ago on the TV...pretty amazing for a phone lol

Sent from my DROIDX

greevedogg
12-16-2010, 01:19 AM
no, i can't....i've played nesoid with the wiimote, but haven't hooked up thru tv via RealHDMI yet...sorry

jtothar
12-16-2010, 02:15 AM
Okay.... This one hurts me a little. I was really looking forward to playing old SNES roms on my t.v. using the phone for a controller.

This sounds sick!

LexLuthor
12-16-2010, 06:10 AM
Sorry to do this to you, but (as of right now) the only way to output from your phone to a TV via HDMI is to use the "Gallery" app. If it plays in the "gallery" app (ie video you record with your Droid X, pictures, etc), then it can be shunted to your TV. I can do some digging to see what format/bitrate you need to re-encode in, if you'd like!
No, it doesn't work in the gallery app.

If you can let me know what you think it needs to be re-encoded to, that'd be great.

Do you think maybe it's the AAC audio that could be the problem?

Should it be able to play 720p video?

dvdcatalyst
12-16-2010, 01:17 PM
No, it doesn't work in the gallery app.

If you can let me know what you think it needs to be re-encoded to, that'd be great.

Do you think maybe it's the AAC audio that could be the problem?

Should it be able to play 720p video?

Hi Lex,

As I posted earlier,

I did some tests with HD and HDMI a couple of posts back

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-audio-video/12117-droid-x-plays-hd-720p-mp4-file-samples-post-need-testing-hdmi-plz.html

I added some sample videos as well as information.
the 5.1 will probably be the biggest issue.

The X can actually play 720p HD MP4 files encoded with H264 at 24 fps in Gallery with HDMI output.
Basically if the file plays in Gallery (which uses the build-in hardware support for video playback) , it will play over HDMI.
Since the file doesn't play in Gallery, the file needs to be converted.
RockPlayer, as well as all other video players that can play "all" video files use a software-decoding method (ffmpeg to be exact) which doesn't use the build-in hardware (only the CPU) to play the file, which is why it doesn't work over HDMI unless you use an app such as RealHDMI. Unfortunately, the reason why the file stutters in RockPlayer is because of the software-decoding as well. Even when you play the file on the DroidX' screen, it still needs to process the full data and compression of the file, which puts a lot of strain on the processor. Overclocking could help, but even if the battery would be able to power the phone for a 2 hour movie with the processor at max speed (which I seriously doubt), you could also cause serious damage to your phone.

With the tests I described in my linked thread, I managed to play 1280x720 (H264) video files at 24fps with 3000Kbps video and 160Kbps Stereo AAC audio over HDMI.

LexLuthor
12-16-2010, 01:50 PM
Hi Lex,

With the tests I described in my linked thread, I managed to play 1280x720 (H264) video files at 24fps with 3000Kbps video and 160Kbps Stereo AAC audio over HDMI.

Ok, so I guess that means it's not the resolution (which is good).

Well, at home now, I've got my file re-encoding at 24fps with 2500Kbps video and audio, not sure of bit rate, but down to Pro Logic II, so I'll try that file when I get home. Still kept the resolution at 1280x528.

Hope that works.

So what do you think is the problem with the original file I have? Bitrate too high or that 5.1 audio maybe?

dvdcatalyst
12-16-2010, 04:31 PM
The 5.1. I dont think DTS would work either.

Try AAC Stereo

CrAsH_OvErIdE
12-17-2010, 12:31 PM
That is a great idea. DX game console via HD connection! Haha!

LexLuthor
12-17-2010, 07:31 PM
I've been doing more testing and I'm still stumped.

Is there a maximum size video that the Droid X will play?

I just took an xvid movie and used any video converted 4 minutes in the middle to H.264 and it worked fine on the Droid X. Then I just did the exact same thing and encoded the whole movie and it failed to play on the Droid X. The full version was about 2.3GB.

Will in not play movies over a certain size?

EDIT:
May have just found my answer. 2 GB file size limit according to this.
https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/222735
Is that true?

dvdcatalyst
12-17-2010, 08:40 PM
I haven't tested it, but most phones and portable devices have a limit of 2GB in size due to the formatting of the storage media (sd card) Fat32 can't deal with files larger than 2GB in most cases (I recall windows vista and 7 to have some hotfix for that).