PDA

View Full Version : 2.3.15 upgrade ?s

duro78
12-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Im completely confused even more so after all my research. I have 2.3.15 I kept reading some people update and a few once updated want to revert back which I know cant be done. What are the benefits to getting this update and is it worth the trouble. Since the newest updated ota isnt a full operating ginger bread some say its not worth it. I never saved my stock setup(bloat) because I thought I wouldnt need it. I checked TB none of them are still there. Since a lot of this is uncharteret water a lot of things are up in the air.
Since we are all into the hacking apsect of the phone we always want the newest updates etc etc. Please what to do and will an update only show up if your in stock form? Im on 2.3.15 an I never saw any updates. I remember reading once an update is availble it will keep popping up and it will eventually force you to update. How can I update if I didnt back up bloat and is it even worth doing? I know we're not happy unless we're doing somehing to our phones

mikeinrichmond
12-15-2010, 07:49 PM
I see you are running Rubix 1.9, so you won't see an update, at least I never did. So to check out the update, I SBF'd back to stock using the 2.2 SBF and RSDlite, then updated to the OTA .340 version, then used z4root to get root back. I think Rubix has a version for .340 also but I wanted to try another ROM so I installed Apex 1.3. It's very fast, has a few Blur addon's, and nice gingerbread theme and keyboard built in.

If none of this made sense, start reading here: http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rs-guides/12015-complete-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html
I'd also make a backup using bootstrap before you do anything else just in case.

duro78
12-15-2010, 08:23 PM
thanks so much for all the info. In your opinion was it worth it to update? I know its a subjectve question just interested in your opinion because we're basically coming from the same setup. thanks again Mike

greevedogg
12-15-2010, 08:26 PM
I pretty much did the same thing mike did...
I was on 2.3.15 running Rubix Focused 1.8.6, didn't save an original back-up, so I downloaded a 2.3.15 sbf and used RSDlite 4.8 to get back to stock...I have windows 7 64bit and it worked for me! I know some ppl have said to have probs with win7 64 but mine took first try...SBF went great, until it got stuck in a bootloop...I just booted into recovery and cleared data and cache and then it booted right up to a clean, stock system...Then I checked for updates and got the OTA 2.3.34...
Simple as that...

Then I decided to try BBCrackman's Darkslide v4 blur based...

I really was/still am a fan of Rubix Focused, but I think I need to stay a little blurry to keep RealHDMI good....so that's my reason for going back to some blur...

Hope that helps!

1KDS
12-15-2010, 08:29 PM
It could be worth it just to keep up with the upcoming ROMs, all the devs will surely be basing further software on the most current OS

duro78
12-15-2010, 08:32 PM
def helps thanks for the info. Other than what you mentioned in your opinion was it worth the update? Anything diffeent worth mentioning other than the hdmi

mikeinrichmond
12-15-2010, 08:43 PM
I only installed it to keep up with the latest roms, like Apex 1.3.0 only supports the .340 system version.
I didn't play around much with the stock update because the roms (at least rubix and apex) are just so much quicker that it drives me crazy watching the stock version sputter along..