PDA

View Full Version : [HOW TO] Install and Remove Bootstrap Recovery

Abe21599
12-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Before installing I HIGHLY recommend that you have rsdlite and you have it ready to go if needed: Ready to go means that you have used it before and tested it to make sure it will work. If you wait until you have problems to run rsdlite then you are more likely to panic. I would make sure that everything is set up and ready to go just in case.

Installing Bootstrap Recovery (thanks to Wimervision for the video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApZ_oSV7CTg

Removing Bootstrap Recovery:

Removal from an Androidforums post:

UNINSTALL the Recovery APK (Droid X Bootstrapper) in Settings, Applications
Reboot
Run "adb shell"
Run "su"
Run "mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system"
Run "cp /system/bin/logwrapper.bin /system/bin/logwrapper"
Reboot

or

1. Reroot
2. Get root explorer in the market
3. Uninstall the bootstrap app
4. Go into root explorer to system/bin
5. In top right corner tap r/w
6. Delete the file called hijack
7. Delete logwrapper
8. Rename logwrapper.bin to just logwrapper
9. Reboot and it should be gone.
(thanks to Droidforums member Hostility6)

The commands can be used with terminal emulator do all the commands except for the first command. (Run adb shell)

Heres some info on how to actually use the bootstrap.
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/hacking-help/13485-how-use-droid-x-bootstrap.html

Thanks to PC747 over on DF for originally putting this together :)

Abe21599
12-15-2010, 01:28 PM
reservedd

t.noroeste
02-20-2011, 08:04 PM
I deleted hijack and logwrapper and renamed logwrapper.bin and it worked. But now I want to use clockwork again. how do i undo what i did. reinstalled bootstrapper but it dosent work and I noticed that even after reinstalling it, the hijack is missing, and there is only the one logwrapper file. Can i download those single files alone?

Abe21599
02-20-2011, 10:44 PM
I deleted hijack and logwrapper and renamed logwrapper.bin and it worked. But now I want to use clockwork again. how do i undo what i did. reinstalled bootstrapper but it dosent work and I noticed that even after reinstalling it, the hijack is missing, and there is only the one logwrapper file. Can i download those single files alone?

reflashing bootstrap using koushs app doesnt work?

bullysonx
02-20-2011, 11:00 PM
Stupid question but when you mentioned sys/bin is this the same thing as folder?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

t.noroeste
02-20-2011, 11:04 PM
Nope, says bootstrap is success, but goes in to android recovery instead.

Also I should note, im still getting a liberty bootup icon every time I boot up right in the becoming even before the system recovery comes up. I had liberty loaded and has been doing this since.

bullysonx
02-20-2011, 11:05 PM
Stupid question but when you mentioned sys/bin is this the same thing as folder?

Forget my post I found it..duh dumb azz..lol

bignasty407
04-13-2011, 07:56 PM
how do i run adb shell? im confused on how exactly to do this :/

Droid-Xer
04-13-2011, 08:01 PM
in terminal emulator or if you have adb setup on your pc

bignasty407
04-13-2011, 08:06 PM
in terminal emulator or if you have adb setup on your pc
i have adb in my c:\ drive. in an sdk fold. sorry im just confused i put in all the other code that it calls for in the intsructions. and rooboted will it even work if i dont run adb shell, i tried in TE and it said denied.

plumcrazy
04-13-2011, 08:09 PM
this just worked for me and im an idiot with this kinda stuff. very easy to do.

Removing Bootstrap Recovery:

1. Reroot
2. Get root explorer in the market
3. Uninstall the bootstrap app
4. Go into root explorer to system/bin
5. In top right corner tap r/w
6. Delete the file called hijack
7. Delete logwrapper
8. Rename logwrapper.bin to just logwrapper
9. Reboot and it should be gone.
(thanks to Droidforums member Hostility6)

bignasty407
04-13-2011, 08:13 PM
cant afford the root explorer ATM :( if i could i take that route, haha.

edit: is there an app thats free that does the same thing that i can use?!?!??!!

jmcgee109
04-13-2011, 08:17 PM
this just worked for me and im an idiot with this kinda stuff. very easy to do.

Did you use that method to get GB

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

bignasty407
04-13-2011, 08:18 PM

thats my ultimate goal. gunna bite teh bullet and buy the app. i need to quite smoking anyway haha

Droid-Xer
04-13-2011, 08:18 PM
try super manager, i think its free and can edit system files. Or terminal emulator is free but a lil more of a hassle

Droid-Xer
04-13-2011, 08:19 PM

You need to remove bootstrap to accept an OTA

bignasty407
04-13-2011, 08:20 PM
i have Term Emulator but when it comes to the run adb shell part im not sure how to do that because i have the adb.exe on my comp in my "android" folder, not sure how to get going to run it to follow the rest of the steps :(

jmcgee109
04-13-2011, 08:21 PM
I'm taking I'd have to flash a stock backup the remove. Right???

bignasty407
04-13-2011, 08:21 PM
wait. if im going to install the zip ota. i need to unistall it, or if im going to wait for verizon to send me the ota update...

\sorry im an idiot ):

Droid-Xer
04-13-2011, 08:27 PM
i have Term Emulator but when it comes to the run adb shell part im not sure how to do that because i have the adb.exe on my comp in my "android" folder, not sure how to get going to run it to follow the rest of the steps :(

Just type "SU" press enter and then enter the code exactly as it is

bignasty407
04-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Just type "SU" press enter and then enter the code exactly as it is

i did this and bootstrap still says success when i try it out.

Droid-Xer
04-13-2011, 08:29 PM
I'm taking I'd have to flash a stock backup the remove. Right???

wait. if im going to install the zip ota. i need to unistall it, or if im going to wait for verizon to send me the ota update...

\sorry im an idiot ):

In order to take any OTA update, whether manually installing or actually OTA, you need to remove bootstrap and be at 100%. Root is ok.

Droid-Xer
04-13-2011, 08:30 PM
i did this and bootstrap still says success when i try it out.

Ok.First step. Remove the app. settings/apps/manage apps/bootstrap/uninstall

After running the commands, reboot

bignasty407
04-13-2011, 08:33 PM
okay gunna give this another try. i owe ya one ninja man

bignasty407
04-13-2011, 08:39 PM
okay i followed what it said to the T i realize now that i did not uninstall it before running the commands. now how do i know that it is truely gone?

Droid-Xer
04-13-2011, 08:45 PM
Do a reboot. If it goes to clockwork then you need to do it again. If not then you're good

bignasty407
04-13-2011, 08:48 PM
im in the clear then! thanks so much dude, you truely rule. now is this OTA rooted lol

Droid-Xer
04-13-2011, 08:50 PM
It has been rooted. Haven't seen if they released the root method yet or not.

bignasty407
04-13-2011, 08:55 PM
It has been rooted. Haven't seen if they released the root method yet or not.

GOTCHA. well stock froyo, blah lol time to take the plunge!

Droid-Xer
04-13-2011, 08:58 PM
good luck

plumcrazy
04-13-2011, 09:01 PM

No, just getting ready to take GB if its forced on me somehow. i hardly used boostrap at all so for me its not a loss. i dont have any roms

Kennster213
04-13-2011, 09:08 PM
Would any terminal emulator suffice?

Droid-Xer
04-13-2011, 09:20 PM
yup...

bignasty407
04-13-2011, 09:21 PM
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gingerbread-general-discussion/23854-gb-ota-update-zip-error.html#post271070

i followed instructions via TE and this happend

Growler48
04-14-2011, 02:10 PM
Just want to confirm, the logwrapper and hijack files automatically get removed when you do an SBF, right? Is there any need to remove them first, before I SBF?

Droid-Xer
04-14-2011, 02:40 PM
If you SBF then there's no need to do anything else. The SBF will wipe everything for you.

Growler48
04-14-2011, 03:09 PM
If you SBF then there's no need to do anything else. The SBF will wipe everything for you.

Thanks. Thought that was the case. Just wanted to verify. Will give this a go for the first time tonight!

Droid-Xer
04-14-2011, 03:24 PM
If you're running from a windows PC then head over to the hack section and 1kds has an easy option running from a disc.

Growler48
04-14-2011, 03:41 PM
If you're running from a windows PC then head over to the hack section and 1kds has an easy option running from a disc.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Gc714
05-02-2011, 04:18 PM
Maybe I should've never messed with this root stuff!!!

I unrooted w/ Z4root

then uninstalled Bootstrap

Installed term em.... it comes up w/

export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
$ $

I would then type in run "adb Shell" but from there nothing happens!! What button is supposed to work? Am I to be connected to my PC?

Droid-Xer
05-02-2011, 08:55 PM
You need to reroot then remove bootstrap

fnmetal
06-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Can you have d2 bootstrap and dx bootstrap installed on the same device? Or would just removing dx bootstrap and install d2 bootstrap be advised if I was going to flash gb. 596 ?

Droid-Xer
06-04-2011, 03:21 AM
You can have both but only one can be used to access clockwork. Pick one and stick with it. I have the one im not using uninstalled. I don't want to get confused.

bigcfromcinci
06-04-2011, 03:35 PM
Couple questions, if I install the OTA update, I'll lose wireless tether right?

Also, what order to get back to stock:

Uninstall bootstrap
un-root with Z4root
uninstall superuser apk

I downloaded the OTA update, and uninstalled the above. But when I went to install the update, it rebooted and started to install but the triangle come up and then clockwork recovery come up after a few minutes. Then I just re-stored it from CWR.

Droid-Xer
06-05-2011, 06:34 AM
You need to use root explorer or terminal emulator to remove clockwork, rename super user apk, then unroot.

HarleyDude
06-05-2011, 06:59 AM
to remove Bootstrap
with root explorer or supermanager: (Update can also use ES file explorer which now has root access)
1.reroot the phone
2.uninstall the bootstrap app
3. Install supermanager or root explorer, both are file explorers that allow root r/w access to the system folder. supermanager is free, root explorer is not. You'll need to enable root functionality in the settings
4. Open the explorer of your choice, navigate to the folder /system/bin
5.Find the file named hijack, long press on it, select delete,
6.Find the file named logwrapper, long press on it, select delete,
7. Find the file named logwrapper.bin, long press on it, select rename, and rename it to logwrapper
8. reboot

or, in terminal emulator type the following commands (without quotes) and enter after each command
"su"
"mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system"
"rm /system/bin/hijack"
"cp /system/bin/logwrapper.bin /system/bin/logwrapper"
"rm /system/bin/logwrapper.bin"
Reboot

bigcfromcinci
06-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Thanks guys!! I appreciate it.

fird
06-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Hello all, thanks for the help with this!

I'm trying to complete the OTA install but keep recieving the triangle with the ! and then it says that installation failed. I used Terminal Emulator to remove bootstrap (after uninstalling it) and I am no longer seeing it when I reboot.

I do not remember removing any bloat so I'm not sure why the OTA won't take.

Any thoughts?

HarleyDude
06-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Can you see the update proceeding and tell us the error when it fails?
It may just be easier to SBF back to Froyo, then do the OTA. If you want to go this route, follow the link in my sig

ToeJamm57
06-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Thanks

fird
06-06-2011, 10:09 PM
I don't see any error, the phone auto reboots, starts to install (little droid man unpacking the box) gets about 1/4 the way done then the box turns into an exclamation point. When the home screen loads it says "installation failed".

I've uninstalled ZRoot and BootStrapper but I still see their files listed (but once again phone has not been going into clockwork recovery screen), would reinstalling these and then uninstalling again in TE help? I'm trying to avoid SBF.

I know I might just need to SBF, thankfully your SIG makes it seem a lot easier than worrying about the moto. drivers.

AAK625
07-10-2011, 08:52 PM
Same thing happened to me. I'd really like to avoid going back to factory. The whole Google sync thing didn't back up my contacts.

popcenator
07-10-2011, 09:25 PM
Same thing happened to me. I'd really like to avoid going back to factory. The whole Google sync thing didn't back up my contacts.

Export your contacts to your SD. Go into your contacts, hit the menu button, select import /export. Then after you reset or SBF, you can use the same method to import back to your phone.

on the move..

nav1729
11-15-2014, 12:18 AM
Hi all,

I have tried steps suggested in this forum to remove boot strap and i think now my device is bricked i think, i can't boot the device. The Circular Motorola logo comes and device is stuck at ripple effect endlessly.

my device details.
model XT910, indian (asian version)
it has 4.0.4 os rooted

please let me know, what can be done.

sd_shadow
11-15-2014, 09:52 AM
Hi all,

I have tried steps suggested in this forum to remove boot strap and i think now my device is bricked i think, i can't boot the device. The Circular Motorola logo comes and device is stuck at ripple effect endlessly.

my device details.
model XT910, indian (asian version)
it has 4.0.4 os rooted

please let me know, what can be done.This forum is for the Motorola Droid X and X2, the Motorola RAZR XT910 uses a different bootstrap, try posting here Droid RAZR Forum - Motorola Droid RAZR Community (http://www.razrforums.com/forum/forum.php)