PDA

View Full Version : Does my situation seem worth rooting?

renthorin
12-15-2010, 11:57 AM
So I'm thinking about rooting, but to be honest it scares me. I know it shouldn't...

The reason I am thinking about rooting is I want to disable certain bloat apps, mainly the stock music player. It causes problems via blue tooth and I wish it to die a fiery death.

Here is what I think I know about rooting:
- makes me an admin on my phone
- doesn't remove/disable anything I've installed unless I choose to.
- I won't have to do anything else to my phone except load some app to let me turn off the unwanted apps.

Basically, I want to root, kill the music player, and have my phone look/feel/act EXACTLY the same as it does now.

Thoughts/comments/suggestions?

thanks,

Will

smalltowngirl13
12-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Will - I thought you were already rooted LOL...

You can do that with no issues - grab the Z4 link, it is a one click and then use Titanium Backup to freeze the apps (DebianDog has a good reference thread for it) and you are all set...you don't have to worry about themes / ROMs if that is not your thing...

Good luck!

renthorin
12-15-2010, 12:26 PM
No...I was tthiisssss close to rooting a while back and lost my nerve.

I have z4 on my phone. I just have to take a deep breath and run it :)

smalltowngirl13
12-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Don't take tooooo long of a breath or hold it for too long :)...LOL

...insert drum roll..... :)

renthorin
12-15-2010, 12:39 PM
ran Z4...it ran for about 10 minutes....nothing happened except the spinning progress circle of doom.
Quit app...phone froze.
Pulled battery...restarted...ran Z4. Took 15 seconds. Said it worked and rebooted the phone on its own.

I'm now back at my home screen and all looks fine. Time to download TB and go from there.

I'm so excited :) I feel all dirty and illegal for some reason.

Musicman
12-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Don't freak out if it locks up or doesn't work the first time. It took two tries for me but now it works great.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

Abe21599
12-15-2010, 12:43 PM

thats how its supposed to feel :D

renthorin
12-15-2010, 12:50 PM
Now I have to learn how to maim and punish the stock music app. Time to read up on Titanium Backup :)

Droid-Xer
12-15-2010, 12:51 PM
Just get PowerAmp to replace stock music app. PowerAmp is sweet.

renthorin
12-15-2010, 12:53 PM
Already have PowerAmp installed and worshipping it. Problem is, when connected via bluetooth, sometimes the connection gets confused and it uses the stock music app as it thinks PA isn't running.

Sooo.....if I freeze the stock one...I would think PA will win out. I'd rather have PA not respond that the stock player fire up.

Nothing worse than Abba and AC/DC dueling it out in my ears.

Hope that makes some kind of sense.

joeyjackpot
12-15-2010, 12:59 PM
just wanna throw it out there

disabling stock music player makes you unable to use MP3s as alarm or ringtone.

smalltowngirl13
12-15-2010, 12:59 PM
ran Z4...it ran for about 10 minutes....nothing happened except the spinning progress circle of doom.
Quit app...phone froze.
Pulled battery...restarted...ran Z4. Took 15 seconds. Said it worked and rebooted the phone on its own.

I'm now back at my home screen and all looks fine. Time to download TB and go from there.

Yay!! Congrats and LOL at the last line...

renthorin
12-15-2010, 03:23 PM
disabling stock music player makes you unable to use MP3s as alarm or ringtone.

Hmmm....I use an alarm clock about three times a year, and then with the stock bell sound.

As for ringtones...I made them with "Ringo" or something and they are now called "xxxxxringtone" or the like. Will those still function??

wicked
12-15-2010, 03:32 PM
your ringtones wont be affected, so no worries

renthorin
12-15-2010, 04:17 PM
Ok..next question. I used Titanium to backup...getting ready to freeze the music app so I went to purchase the full paid version....he is in Switzerland and my visa gift card will only work in the "US". Since I recently had my mastercard stolen and some international charges appeared...I won't use it online. I buy prepaid ones and use them :)

Sooo....long story short...is there an alternative to TB for freezing apps or disabling them easily?

DOH...wait....I see I can use PP online :)