Pages : [1] 2

Droid-Xer
12-15-2010, 09:38 AM
Admin edit 3/21/12
D2 Bootstrap is the Bootstrapper to now use on the Droid X

Requirememts
1. Root
2. Droid 2 Bootstrap- $3 in Market

Once app is installed, go to your app drawer and click on it. It will ask for Super User permissions, press yes/ok. This will stop it from booting into clockwork after every manual reboot.

How to backup your system
A backup is a snapshot of your system at that moment. This will be vital should you experience any issues modding your phone.

1. Click on Droid X Bootstrap app
2. Click Bootstrap Recovery, then click OK when it says Success
3. Click Reboot Recovery, phone will automatically reboot
4. Once in the black screen with green writing, you will use the side volume rockers to move up and down and then the camera hard key to select.
5. Move down to backup/restore and select it.
6. Move to Backup and select it
The phone will begin to create a full backup (nandroid) of your system, data, and cache. This will take about 5 minutes to generate. After it is finished it will take you back to the main screen. If you want to move back to previous screens use the back hard key.
7. Select reboot system now.
8. You can view your backups in your file manager. There will be a clockworkmod folder where the backups reside. You can change the name of the file, but do not use spaces or odd characters. For example, use a dash - rather than a backslash / for dates.

How to restore a backup
If you have issues with your setup after a ROM or theme install, you can restore a backup made when the system was running correctly.

1. Click on Droid 2 Bootstrap app
2. Click Bootstrap Recovery, then OK when it says Success
3. Click Reboot Recovery and phone will automatically reboot.
4. When black screen with green writing appears, select backup/restore.
5. Then select Restore.
6. Choose the backup you want to restore. If you don't change the name of the file, they have the date and time stamp as the file name.
7. Select backup and then the phone will begin restoring the backup.
8. When its finished, it will take you to main screen, select reboot system now.

How to install a rom

1. Click Droid 2 Bootstrap app, hit bootstrap recovery, click ok, then reboot recovery.
2. Go to mounts
2a. (Optional, read instructions on ROM install) Mount system. If system is mounted, prompt will read "unmount system"
3. Format data, click yes
4. Format cache, click yes
5. Back arrow
6. Install zip from sd card
7. Go to folder where zip is. If you downloaded zip from stock browser and didn't move it, it will be in the DOWNLOAD folder.
8. Click on the zip you want to install, then yes.
9. Once install is finished, back arrow, and reboot.

FAQ

1. You can have as many backups as you'd like
2. If you get and md5 sum error, its probably bacause you renamed the file with unrecognized characters.
3. Yes, when you manually reboot it will always go to bootstrap recovery unless you do the very first step after installing. Just select reboot system now.
4. If it does not boot into bootstrap recovery, and you need it to, you can boot into stock recovery and do a factory reset and then restore a backup.

How to boot into stock recovery

Hold power button and and home hard key. When M screen appears, release home key. A screen with a small green Droid and an ! will appear. Push search hard key. Use volume rocker to select wipe data/cache then factory reset.

Thank you to the great Android developer Koushik Dutta for this great app. Follow his ramblings at www.koushikdutta.com (http://www.koushikdutta.com).

Droid-Xer
12-15-2010, 09:39 AM
How to correctly rename a backup
After successfully doing a backup, it's good practice to go back and rename it for easy record keeping, otherwise its a series of numbers.

1. Go to your file manager
2. Open CLOCKWORKMOD folder
3. Open BACKUPS folder
4. Long press on entry
5. Select edit/rename
6. Rename using dashes not back slashes for dates and underscores not spaces between words. I use date_ROM_feature
EX: 1-5-2010_gummyJAR2.5_throttle

NOTE: You can move backups to PC if you need the room. I always keep at least 2 backups on my phone and the rest on a flash drive or my PC. DO NOT RESTORE BACKUPS OF DIFFERENT SYSTEM VERSIONS

How to remove Droid X Bootstrap through ROOT EXPLORER

Uninstall bootstrap app first
1. Click mount r/w
2. DELETE
a) system/bin/hijack
b) system/bin/logwrapper
3. RENAME
a) system/bin/logwrapper.bin
4. TO
a) system/bin/logwrapper

How to remove Droid X Bootstrap through TERMINAL EMULATOR (FREE)(instructions from Abe's post)

Uninstall bootstrap app first.

su
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
cp /system/bin/logwrapper.bin /system/bin/logwrapper
Reboot

Garemlin
12-15-2010, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the contribution but this has been pretty much covered in this thread.

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rs-guides/12081-rooolers-guide-root-unroot-backup-rom-sbf-overclock.html

Droid-Xer
12-15-2010, 09:48 AM
Sorry, I thought I'd put it up as its own since there are quite a few people asking how its done and many people don't spend the needed time reviewing Rooolers guide.

Garemlin
12-15-2010, 09:54 AM
Sorry, I thought I'd put it up as its own since there are quite a few people asking how its done and many people don't spend the needed time reviewing Rooolers guide.

No worries. I'll keep it up for those just looking to do the Bootstrap Recovery. Just as long as people don't start confusing this with flashing.

Droid-Xer
12-15-2010, 09:59 AM
Thanks Garemlin. Appreciate it.

Garemlin
12-15-2010, 10:00 AM
I'm actually gonna move this over to hacking help. That is where people should/will search for rooting and hacking tutorials. I'll even give ya a sticky.

Droid-Xer
12-15-2010, 10:02 AM
Again thank you, too kind Garemlin!!

Garemlin
12-15-2010, 10:03 AM
No problem. And again thanks for taking the time to make this contribution.

Shiyan
12-15-2010, 10:04 AM
I read through the RoOoLeR's Guide ROOT / UNROOT / BACKUP / ROM / SBF / OVERCLOCK but there was so much info, I must have missed this part.

Thanks for it.

Pensacola32526
12-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Droid-Xer, seriously, thank you for the write up. We all have these apps on our phone but don't know how to use it to its full potential.

Droid-Xer
12-15-2010, 02:53 PM
Droid-Xer, seriously, thank you for the write up. We all have these apps on our phone but don't know how to use it to its full potential.

No problemo. I was told it was in rooolers guide, but that's some heavy reading. Your legs go numb sitting on the throne that long! I just put it out cuz I was getting quite a few PMs on using it. So enjoy.

Droid-Xer
12-15-2010, 05:09 PM
Boo, lost sticky but got my first guide

wicked
12-15-2010, 05:47 PM

great job on the write up! only reason you lost sticky is because the thread got moved to the proper designated
forum for guides, therefor no longer needs a sticky. Keep up the good work man!

Garemlin
12-15-2010, 05:51 PM

I only removed your sticky because I had a hacking tutorial guide section created for just these types of guides and moved it there. It won't get lost. Trust me.

If it is any consolation yours is the first guide I moved here.

Droid-Xer
12-15-2010, 05:54 PM
Ya just saw that guys. Thanks

Ro6d33zy
12-17-2010, 10:17 AM
Now, you're saying that if you delete BSR through Root Explorer, you can still restore a backup through Stock Recovery?
Where does it give you the option to Restore, within the Stock Recovery?

Sent Via: Droid X- Rooted @1.35 Ghz! Rom> Rubix Blurry
>(: | _]=

Droid-Xer
12-17-2010, 10:37 AM
No you will only need to remove bootstrap to take an update or if you need to take the phone into VZW. After you take the update just use the link in my signature or post 1 to download the boosttap app again. If you take the update, its not a good idea to restore a backup from an older version. The backups are stored on your SD card so you will need bootstrap to restore them.

The stock recovery is only used if you're stuck in a boot loop. Boot into stock recovery, wipe data/cache, factory reset, and then once phone boots up properly then you can load your last backup by downloading bootstrap again, if it gets erased.

skennelly
12-17-2010, 11:18 AM
@Droid-Xer

So you do have to remove bootstrap to update? I have been finding conflicting info everywhere, with no definative answer. I had found a nandroid backup of someones 2.3.151 on BL 30.04(like mine & was going to use it to get back to stock) and then update to 2.3.340. The only things on the backup I dl'ed is z4root, bootstrap, and rom manager. Are you saying BS would need to be removed b4 phone will accept the ota, and if so, can I bypass installing the 2.3.151 backup?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

Abe21599
12-17-2010, 11:35 AM
@Droid-Xer

So you do have to remove bootstrap to update? I have been finding conflicting info everywhere, with no definative answer. I had found a nandroid backup of someones 2.3.151 on BL 30.04(like mine & was going to use it to get back to stock) and then update to 2.3.340. The only things on the backup I dl'ed is z4root, bootstrap, and rom manager. Are you saying BS would need to be removed b4 phone will accept the ota, and if so, can I bypass installing the 2.3.151 backup?

the bootstrap has to come off. see here
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rs-guides/13507-how-install-remove-bootstrap-recovery.html

Droid-Xer
12-17-2010, 12:14 PM
Ya use Abe's or my way in post #2 to remove bootstrap. I'm not sure if bootstrap will interfere, but its easy to remove. And no you can't bypass the update. You don't have to download or install it but then you can't receive any other updates.

Trimble1
12-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Nice write up Xer, now I just have to grow a pair and install Apex. Thanks

wicked
12-18-2010, 04:19 PM
Nice write up Xer, now I just have to grow a pair and install Apex. Thanks

Just do it, I flashed it 2 nights ago and I'm loving it

Droid-Xer
12-18-2010, 05:53 PM
Just do it!!! Haha

Growler48
12-19-2010, 05:50 AM
How to remove Droid X Bootstrap

Must be done through Root Explorer
Click r/w
DELETE
system/bin/hijack
system/bin/logwrapper
RENAME
system/bin/logwrapper.bin
TO
system/bin/logwrapper

Has anyone tried this? My phone is booting into Bootstrap Recovery every time the phone reboots since I unrooted, took the .340 OTA update, then re-rooted. It's a minor inconvenience, but I'd like to get things back to normal. I understand in order to fix this, you need to uninstall the Boostrapper app, follow the above directions, then re-install the Bootstrapper app. Is this correct? I read in another thread where someone basically bricked his phone doing this, so I'm a little wary. Thanks!

Droid-Xer
12-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Has anyone tried this? My phone is booting into Bootstrap Recovery every time the phone reboots since I unrooted, took the .340 OTA update, then re-rooted. It's a minor inconvenience, but I'd like to get things back to normal. I understand in order to fix this, you need to uninstall the Boostrapper app, follow the above directions, then re-install the Bootstrapper app. Is this correct? I read in another thread where someone basically bricked his phone doing this, so I'm a little wary. Thanks!

Yes it works.

Growler48
12-20-2010, 06:15 AM
Yes it works.

Just wanted to follow up on this. I didn't have to use this method. I simply went into settings > applications > Manage Applications > All > Rom Manager and DroidX Bootstrapper and cleared cache, data, force stop and uninstalled both. I then re-installed the apps and now my X boots normally again.

Droid-Xer
12-20-2010, 09:00 AM
Just wanted to follow up on this. I didn't have to use this method. I simply went into settings > applications > Manage Applications > All > Rom Manager and DroidX Bootstrapper and cleared cache, data, force stop and uninstalled both. I then re-installed the apps and now my X boots normally again.

Glad you got it going. What did you mean by "reinstalled the apps"?

Growler48
12-21-2010, 04:39 AM
Glad you got it going. What did you mean by "reinstalled the apps"?

I just re-installed the Droid X Bootstrapper and ROM Manager apps that I deleted to fix my boot up problem.

yoyoche
12-23-2010, 11:30 PM
Yes, I missed this in roOolers guide too.

Thanks droid-Xer

Droid-Xer
12-23-2010, 11:35 PM
Yes, I missed this in roOolers guide too.

Thanks droid-Xer

Sure thing. Ask any questions if you have them.

LexLuthor
12-27-2010, 10:31 PM

Click r/w
DELETE
system/bin/hijack
system/bin/logwrapper
RENAME
TO
system/bin/logwrapper

I'm confused. Is this necessary? I installed bootstrap and made a backup. I think uninstalled it through settings->applications and rebooted and it didn't go into bootstrap and went right to my main screens, like I would have expected.

Do I still need to do the above?

wicked
12-27-2010, 11:21 PM
I'm confused. Is this necessary? I installed bootstrap and made a backup. I think uninstalled it through settings->applications and rebooted and it didn't go into bootstrap and went right to my main screens, like I would have expected.

Do I still need to do the above?

no need to do the above unless you want to remove bootstrap

LexLuthor
12-28-2010, 01:00 AM
But didn't I remove bootstrap by uninstalling? It doesn't go to bootstrap anymore when I reboot, so why do ki need to do the above? I'm trying to remove what I installed. Just installing isn't enough?

Droid-Xer
12-28-2010, 01:02 AM
There will still be traces of it. Use my removal instructions to completely erase bootstrap.

WRMorrison
12-28-2010, 04:43 PM
Alright, just installed this. I've got a question though; these are the instructions on the first page for making a backup:

1. Click on Droid X Bootstrap app check
2. Click Bootstrap Recovery, then click OK when it says Success check
3. Click Reboot Recovery, phone will automatically reboot check
4. Once in the black screen with green writing, you will use the side volume rockers to move up and down and then the camera hard key to select. nope

-No black screen with green writing; mine went directly to the normal home screen. Did I do something wrong and need to do it all again, or is there a way to see if it worked somehow?

-WRM

*ETA* Nevermind; I think my ADD kicked in and I got click-happy. I tried it again, and all is well.

C Dippa
12-28-2010, 05:10 PM
Make sure to do step 2, because it sounds like you might not have.

You can see it backing up all of your files, so it didn't work.

Sent from my DROIDX

WRMorrison
12-28-2010, 05:15 PM
Yeah, not sure what I did, but all is well now. Got it all backed-up and renamed the file "12-28-2010 first backup"

I'm on a roll now...lol.

-WRM

C Dippa
12-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Nice...but take the spaces out of the filename or you won't be able to restore later.

Sent from my DROIDX

Droid-Xer
12-28-2010, 05:19 PM
Use underscores _ for spaces.

WRMorrison
12-28-2010, 05:51 PM
Ahhh, got'cha.

-WRM

Droid-Xer
12-28-2010, 05:52 PM
Did it work?

WRMorrison
12-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Yep! Now I'm off to figure out the best ROM for me...

-WRM

Droid-Xer
12-28-2010, 06:11 PM
Do some research on them!

Mofenrogen
12-28-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm having trouble finding where to rename my backups on bs. could someone help pls?

wicked
12-28-2010, 08:19 PM
I'm having trouble finding where to rename my backups on bs. could someone help pls?

backups are stored in /clockworkmod/backup folder

make sure you don't put any spaces in the name or else you won't be able to restore to it

Droid-Xer
12-28-2010, 08:33 PM
Yup. No spaces or odd characters. Use dashes not back slashes for dates.

accordlayingkit
12-28-2010, 08:46 PM
What does clockwork mean? Take your phone back n time?

Droid-Xer
12-28-2010, 08:58 PM
Not sure if there's a specific definition. Neverlookedit up. All i know clockwork recovery hijacks the boot up screen.

accordlayingkit
12-28-2010, 09:11 PM
Im gonna get brave in a lil bit when my 2 1/2 year old stops running around here driving me crazy while im trying to watch football!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhh what's after backup....titanium?

Droid-Xer
12-28-2010, 09:30 PM
Sure titanium is pretty easy to use.

prpredators
12-29-2010, 11:27 PM
ok i'm gonna give this root thing a go

Droid-Xer
12-29-2010, 11:29 PM
ok i'm gonna give this root thing a go

Follow the z4 rooting my sig then backup using Droid x bootstrap.

redsox 98
12-30-2010, 10:27 AM
How come every time I change a theme or have to reset all of my apps come back except this one do I have to down load it every time or am I missing something?

Droid-Xer
12-30-2010, 10:42 AM
How come every time I change a theme or have to reset all of my apps come back except this one do I have to down load it every time or am I missing something?

If you got the free version then its not a market app. You have to either download again or use titanium backup to restore it.

nybadboy11
12-30-2010, 05:45 PM
Hey you did a good thing by posting it. Thanks!

Droid-Xer
12-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Hey you did a good thing by posting it. Thanks!

Thanks bro. Hope it helped.

redsox 98
12-30-2010, 05:58 PM
When I go into my astro file manager under sd card there are a .... few droidxbootstrap-(1 or 2 or 3) are these all the same and should i remove some? Thanks again.

wicked
12-30-2010, 06:16 PM
When I go into my astro file manager under sd card there are a .... few droidxbootstrap-(1 or 2 or 3) are these all the same and should i remove some? Thanks again.

are they .apk? if so you can safely remove them... they are just the "installer"
keep one of them for future use if you'd like

nybadboy11
01-01-2011, 08:39 AM
thanks

royolpunk
01-01-2011, 02:36 PM

Click r/w
DELETE
system/bin/hijack
system/bin/logwrapper
RENAME
TO
system/bin/logwrapper

Droid Xer, In Roooler's post he does some extra steps after renaming logwrapper.bin to logwrapper. Since we use Root Explorer instead of Terminal Emulator, do we have to do those steps, or no? Because after I renamed it I immediately just left Root Explorer, uninstalled, and getting ready to send in my Droid X for replacement. (Of course I unrooted.)

Droid-Xer
01-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Droid Xer, In Roooler's post he does some extra steps after renaming logwrapper.bin to logwrapper. Since we use Root Explorer instead of Terminal Emulator, do we have to do those steps, or no? Because after I renamed it I immediately just left Root Explorer, uninstalled, and getting ready to send in my Droid X for replacement. (Of course I unrooted.)

Terminal emulator has more steps. Just do it as explained and you'll be good.

royolpunk
01-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Alright thanks. So if I did it your way then im good?

Droid-Xer
01-01-2011, 06:00 PM
Yes. Do a reboot and it will boot normally. Just delete the bootstrap app icon like a regular app.

spywiz
01-02-2011, 12:35 AM
Help...I bootstrapped my DX. I finally got the nerve to try a ROM. Everything seemed fine. I tried to go back.....And thats where I got screwed. I went back into boot recovery, I chose the backup file and it started. After a few minutes. It was locked. I had to pull the battery to get a response. It booted back into the screen with the green letters. I chose the recovery and then the file. It started again, then came to another green letter screen. I chose the file again. It is now stuck on a white triangle with "!" in the middle, and the green android guy under it. Am I screwed? Or can someone help before my Wife kills me? Please Help. Bob D.

I think I put this in the complete wrong place. I am a very noob and just learning this. Any help is appreciated.

Droid-Xer
01-02-2011, 12:49 AM
Ok. Did you rename the backup? Tgats the stock recovery screen. At that screen, press the search key, then do a wipe/factory reset. And reboot.

spywiz
01-02-2011, 12:51 AM
It has now booted and went to the main screen. Everything keeps trying to load but "Everything" is FC. Icons are across the top, but I cant get to the apps.

Droid-Xer
01-02-2011, 12:53 AM
Can you open app drawer? Did you change the backup you made in any way?

spywiz
01-02-2011, 12:59 AM
I didn't change anything. I cant get to the app drawer at all. And everything that is trying to autoload, is giving me a FC message. all I have right now is a black screen, Icons on the top bar for Batt. wifi, and cell signal. Launcher pro keeps trying to start bu FC's when it tries. My hard buttons on the bottom are dead too.

Ok I just pulled the battery and it came up to Cloclwork...The options are as follows

Reboot system now
Apply sdcard update.zip
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
install zip from sdcard
backup and restore
mounts and storage
advanced

Droid-Xer
01-02-2011, 01:20 AM
Try restoring backup again.

X24
01-03-2011, 05:48 PM
First root ever.

Installed z4root - rooted
Installed Bootstrap - unable to get past step 2 = Failure exec () yada yada Working directory: null... environment: null
I was sold on this because of everyone saying how easy it is.

Not sure what's going on here...

trenton
01-03-2011, 06:11 PM
First root ever.

Installed z4root - rooted
Installed Bootstrap - unable to get past step 2 = Failure exec () yada yada Working directory: null... environment: null
I was sold on this because of everyone saying how easy it is.

Not sure what's going on here...
You can't pass step 2 of what?

Dustin0308
01-03-2011, 06:32 PM
i do have a question as well...when i go into my files on my phone...it gives me 2 options..1) phone files and 2) shared folders...when you back up using bootstrap does it save everything to your phone or to your sd card...because the sd card is what you will need to recover your phone in case it bricks, correct? sorry im new to rooting and to this thread so if it's already answered please forgive me. Thanks!

Dustin0308
01-03-2011, 06:32 PM
i have a droid x btw

wicked
01-03-2011, 06:46 PM
i do have a question as well...when i go into my files on my phone...it gives me 2 options..1) phone files and 2) shared folders...when you back up using bootstrap does it save everything to your phone or to your sd card...because the sd card is what you will need to recover your phone in case it bricks, correct? sorry im new to rooting and to this thread so if it's already answered please forgive me. Thanks!

Your backups are stored in your SD card. it will be located in /clockworkmod/backup folder.

Dustin0308
01-03-2011, 06:55 PM
Your backups are stored in your SD card. it will be located in /clockworkmod/backup folder.

ok thanks man. and im running apex 1.3 and want to know of some cool features that i could do to make it even better. kinda weary of doing it because dont wanna screw anything up lol..any suggestions?

mikeinrichmond
01-03-2011, 07:01 PM
ok thanks man. and im running apex 1.3 and want to know of some cool features that i could do to make it even better. kinda weary of doing it because dont wanna screw anything up lol..any suggestions?
That's the beauty of using Bootstrap. You make a backup of the current state of your phone, and should something happen, you just restore your working backup. No worries..Hakuna-matata (if you remember the Lion King). :)

And now there is a way to boot directly into bootstrap/clockwork. Thank Abe for posting this..:
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/15019-boot-into-recovery-power-off-state.html

Dustin0308
01-03-2011, 07:05 PM
That's the beauty of using Bootstrap. You make a backup of the current state of your phone, and should something happen, you just restore your working backup. No worries..Hakuna-matata (if you remember the Lion King). :)

well i understand that completely..but i would rather not go thru all of that lol. and yes no worries is right...but any suggestions to make it better..ive heard of speeding up the processors but dont wanna go there i guess..just some opinions to possibly make it better or more appealing..although its pretty good right now.

Dustin0308
01-03-2011, 07:07 PM

And now there is a way to boot directly into bootstrap/clockwork. Thank Abe for posting this..:
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/15019-boot-into-recovery-power-off-state.html

ahh nice..thats helpful. thanks

wicked
01-03-2011, 07:08 PM

might want to look in here http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-roms/13044-rom-apex-1-3-0-droid-x-running-running-fast-can.html

also I posted up a hack for ApeX here http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/14757-mod-uncapped-data-no-throttle-apex-1-3-1-31-stock-deodexed-2-2-1-only.html

Dustin0308
01-03-2011, 07:10 PM
might want to look in here http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-roms/13044-rom-apex-1-3-0-droid-x-running-running-fast-can.html

also I posted up a hack for ApeX here http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/14757-mod-uncapped-data-no-throttle-apex-1-3-1-31-stock-deodexed-2-2-1-only.html

nice..thanks a lot man. if i have anymore questions ill be sure to ask..u seem rather knowledgeable on this stuff lol

Dustin0308
01-03-2011, 07:12 PM

thanks man...you seem to be knowledgeable of this..if i have any questions ill ask

wicked
01-03-2011, 07:14 PM
thanks man...you seem to be knowledgeable of this..if i have any questions ill ask

yep no problem, "You got questions? We've got answers" hehe

anthony010
01-04-2011, 12:25 PM
I rooted (z4) installed titanium back up, and installed bootstrap, but when I open it click on bootstrap recovery it says success I click ok and nothing happens...no reboot. do I need to uninstall TB

Solved it!!

P Weezy
01-04-2011, 01:19 PM
Thanks for this thread... now onto new roms.

Droid-Xer
01-04-2011, 04:14 PM
Yup, no problem guys.

Droid-Xer
01-05-2011, 05:20 AM
Post #2 updated with helpful information.

gravybird
01-05-2011, 11:24 AM
hey senior Xer, when I open up root explorer to delete bootstrap, I click on mount R/W and it switches to mount R/O, then I'm kinda lost on step 2, where is delete?

Droid-Xer
01-05-2011, 11:25 AM
Long press.

gravybird
01-05-2011, 11:29 AM
forgive my ignorance, but longpress what? when I longpress the mount R/O or R/W nothing happens

Droid-Xer
01-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Oh sorry, it should read mount r/o, go down to the app you're going to delete in this case hijack and long press on hijack. Follow the sequence, system->bin->hijack, etc

gravybird
01-05-2011, 11:33 AM
thanks man! I'm such a tard

Droid-Xer
01-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Nah, root explorer can be tricky if u don't use it often.

gravybird
01-05-2011, 11:36 AM
do you mean that it needs to read R/W because when i try to delete it while it reads R/O it says it cant because its only readable?

never mind, I am reading the mounted part backwards

Droid-Xer
01-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Then switch it

gravybird
01-05-2011, 11:42 AM
ok, now I followed your instructions, then rebooted, and bootstrapper is still in my app drawer, is that normal?

Droid-Xer
01-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Ya, you can leave it there. Its not active. You can delete through settings/applications/manage applications if u want.

gravybird
01-05-2011, 12:03 PM
SWEET! update was successful, once again thank you papa Xer :-))

Droid-Xer
01-05-2011, 12:03 PM
Hahaha. No problemo!

K1ll3R
01-10-2011, 09:19 PM
If i uninstall the app will that stop the phone from going into recovery everytime the phone is turned off?

wicked
01-10-2011, 09:22 PM
If i uninstall the app will that stop the phone from going into recovery everytime the phone is turned off?

if your phone keeps booting into recovery everytime you restart phone, all you need to do it open up bootstrap app, click on the first button "bootstrap recovery" then click on 2nd button to reboot into recovery... once in recovery "reboot system now" and this should fix your issue of rebooting into clockwork everytime

zukini98
01-11-2011, 12:03 AM
I followed the process last night and everything appeared to be fine. Today I attempted to pull a file from my sd card, but the card is blank and the phone is not recognizing an sd card in the phone. Per Bootstrap instructions I tried to find the file with a backup and found nothing. I opened the back and pulled out the sd card - had to take out the battery too - and the phone indicates that there is no sd card. What do I need to do to get the sd card functioning properly? Is there anyway to find a backup or am I completely out of luck? :(

Droid-Xer
01-11-2011, 01:04 AM
It isn't plugged into the computer is it?

zukini98
01-12-2011, 11:54 PM
Nope:(

Droid-Xer
01-12-2011, 11:56 PM
Nope:(

try connecting the phone to the PC and seeing if it reads it there. Or use a microSD card reader if you have one

zukini98
01-13-2011, 12:16 AM
I tried the micro sd reader tonight and the disk wasn't readable. As a last ditch effort I attempted to reformat the micro sd card and nothing happened - it's still not working.

Droid-Xer
01-13-2011, 12:25 AM
Sounds like a corrupt SD card. You can probably get it replaced for free if you make enough noise. If the reader isn't reading it and formatting didn't help then I would try to get it replaced.

OfficeLinebacker
01-15-2011, 02:33 PM
Someone pointed me to this from another forum. Awesome guide, thanks.

Droid-Xer
01-16-2011, 02:18 AM
Sweet, no problem. I actually just saw your post at android.net. lol

OfficeLinebacker
01-17-2011, 09:18 AM
Sweet, no problem. I actually just saw your post at android.net. lol

LOL Gotta get our info from all over, in that same thread a guy referred me to another forum...are we even allowed to talk about other forums on here?

mikeinrichmond
01-17-2011, 06:13 PM
Just out of curiosity, is your SD card a brand name like SanDisk? I've heard of several folks having SD card issues and for the most part they were no-name knock-off cards..

Droid-Xer
01-18-2011, 02:17 AM
LOL Gotta get our info from all over, in that same thread a guy referred me to another forum...are we even allowed to talk about other forums on here?

Yes. Android.net, droidforums.net, and droidxforums.com are all owned by the same group. So no problem.

OfficeLinebacker
01-18-2011, 11:35 AM
Yes. Android.net, droidforums.net, and droidxforums.com are all owned by the same group. So no problem.
Really? I guess some people like variety. The American Way.

Droid-Xer
01-18-2011, 04:58 PM
Yup. This is why you see a lot of the same people on all three forums. We just can't get enough! Lol

ORodX7
02-05-2011, 02:16 AM
Thanks for the write-up Droid-Xer. Rooted my DX last night and used your write-up to back-up with Bootstrap.

Droid-Xer
02-05-2011, 02:19 AM
Sweet brotha !! Glad it worked for ya. I'm here to help!

plumcrazy
02-05-2011, 11:18 AM
just need to confirm:
so after doing a backup with Bootstrap Recovery, the Bootstrap Recovery app needs to be deleted using one of these methods ? is this regardless of doing a ROM or not ?
and Bootstrap Recovery needs to be removed in order to do an OTA update ?

1. Click mount r/w
2. DELETE
a) system/bin/hijack
b) system/bin/logwrapper
3. RENAME
4. TO
a) system/bin/logwrapper

How to remove Droid X Bootstrap through TERMINAL EMULATOR (FREE)(instructions from Abe's post)

su
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
cp /system/bin/logwrapper.bin /system/bin/logwrapper
Reboot

and also found this in another thread.

1. Reroot
2. Get root explorer in the market
3. Uninstall the bootstrap app
4. Go into root explorer to system/bin
5. In top right corner tap r/w
6. Delete the file called hijack
7. Delete logwrapper
8. Rename logwrapper.bin to just logwrapper
9. Reboot and it should be gone.

1KDS
02-05-2011, 11:22 AM
you only need to delete bootstrap if you are trying to return to stock or to take an OTA, not in normal use. To take an OTA from a rom'd phone you would flash the stock backup you made, delete bootstrap using the above methods and then take the update

Droid-Xer
02-05-2011, 11:23 AM
You only need to remove it if you need to take your phone in for repair or exchange. Otherwise just don't worry about it. Once you have a stock backup feel free to mod your little heart out. I have a stock backup on my SD and my PC and a flash drive just in case.

plumcrazy
02-05-2011, 11:42 AM
wish i backed up after i recently did a wipe clean back to stock. but no big deal then. THANKS !

Droid-Xer
02-05-2011, 12:00 PM
No prob

OfficeLinebacker
02-07-2011, 05:07 PM
So wait, do I or don't I, have to delete the Bootstrap to take an OTA?

I need to unroot, I know that, but wasn't aware of this. Please confirm/dispel.

Droid-Xer
02-07-2011, 05:19 PM
You don't have to unroot. I recommend being as close to stock as possible. The 2 OTAs I've taken I restored a stock backup, odexed, and removed bootstrap. I haven't had a problem yet.

mikeinrichmond
02-07-2011, 09:30 PM
So wait, do I or don't I, have to delete the Bootstrap to take an OTA?

I need to unroot, I know that, but wasn't aware of this. Please confirm/dispel.

Yes to deleting Bootstrap..Don't worry, no OTA has been announced yet...I'm hoping the dev's will finish hacking the Gingerbread code for our use soon, so we won't even have to bother with the OTA.. :)

nickmimi
02-14-2011, 01:51 PM
Great write up, thanks

Droid-Xer
02-14-2011, 02:05 PM
Then hit reboot recovery right after.

CGIBBS10
02-17-2011, 10:10 PM
Ok i've got a question. I want to reinstall a nandroid backup I made and transferred to my computer. What steps do I need to take? Is it as simple as moving the backup from my computer to the sd card and then restore it through clockwork? I'm wondering because I tried moving all the files to my sdcard after formatting the card, and now when I try to restore in clockwork I get an error saying "Couldn't open directory. No files found."

1KDS
02-17-2011, 10:11 PM
you need to put the file in /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup

CGIBBS10
02-17-2011, 10:29 PM
Okay, I apparently messed up somewhere in making a nandroid backup then. The only files that transferred are my titanium backups. I don't believe anything has changed from my previous backup until now, except that I have lost all my apps and my homepage setup. If i have my titanium backup on my computer how can I get it to my phone so that titanium can restore my apps.

1KDS
02-17-2011, 10:32 PM
the ti file just go in /sdcard/titaniumbackup, so you should be able to just move that folder back to your sd card

CGIBBS10
02-17-2011, 10:42 PM
Okay, I got the files back on the sd card, but now when I go to titanium and go to batch I get an error saying, "Sorry system requirements were not met. Please check error messages on startup."
And on top of this my phone is not recognizing my sdcard, but my computer is. Where to now?

1KDS
02-17-2011, 10:43 PM
try settings>sd card and phone storage settings>mount sd card

CGIBBS10
02-17-2011, 10:50 PM
I tried that a minute ago, but it doesn't let me select it, because it says insert an sd card for mounting

1KDS
02-17-2011, 10:53 PM
You may have to format it, transfer everything to a folder on the pc, then format, then reload the card.

CGIBBS10
02-17-2011, 11:01 PM
formatted, and the phone still wont recognize that an sd card has been inserted

Droid-Xer
02-17-2011, 11:35 PM
Does the pc recognize the card? If not then it seems like a corrupted card. If it does then download sd rescan on the phone and see if it pulls anything.

paman
02-23-2011, 01:15 AM
Question.....when I boot my x while holding home I get a recovery very similar to the bootstrap recovery. It does not have backup/restore option. Is this supposed to be or have I hit an error somewhere

sent from x marks the...

Gorgarath
02-23-2011, 01:19 AM
Is it an android with a triangle over it's head with an exclamation mark? That's the stock recovery, not clockwork recovery.

Droid-Xer
02-23-2011, 02:23 AM
Yes thats stock recovery. The only features you can use here are wiping data/factory reset and reboot. For clockwork recovery you need Droid x bootstrap. Its a couple bucks in the market.

paman
02-23-2011, 09:23 AM
That's what I thought.......thanks for the answers

sent from x marks the...

Droid-Xer
02-23-2011, 09:41 AM
No problemo

paman
02-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Doing a bit of learning...in case i hit troubles down the road. Is it possible to get to cwm from my phone being off. The reason I ask, is what happens when i cant get to my bootstrap app.

Droid-Xer
02-23-2011, 11:18 AM
Here are a few ways http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/15019-boot-into-recovery-power-off-state.html

paman
02-23-2011, 11:24 AM
thanks....man i love the help this site provides!

Droid-Xer
02-23-2011, 11:30 AM
We're here to help!!

jntdroid
03-03-2011, 03:58 PM
any luck on the .apk yet? i bought it off the market before, but want to keep a copy on my sdcard as backup...just put my phone back to basic rooted stock, and don't want to install bootstrap yet (in case you're wondering why I don't just pull the .apk after install)

Droid-Xer
03-03-2011, 03:59 PM
You can use root explorer to move a copy to the SD card. Copy it from data/apps and move to root of SD

jntdroid
03-03-2011, 04:01 PM
You can use root explorer to move a copy to the SD card. Copy it from data/apps and move to root of SD

you're too fast - see my edit :)

Droid-Xer
03-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Sweet!

jntdroid
03-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Sweet!

well let me ask this - I've noticed that immediately upon install it's granted su permissions, as well as on reboot, even if I've never opened it... the reason I didn't want to install it yet is b/c I wasn't sure what it was doing at those points... some clarification on that might help ease my mind on simply installing it and pulling the .apk... any thoughts?

Droid-Xer
03-03-2011, 04:19 PM
It hijacks the stock bootup and installs clockwork on it. Its a normal procedure.

jntdroid
03-03-2011, 04:22 PM
It hijacks the stock bootup and installs clockwork on it. Its a normal procedure.

So it does that without ever opening the program? Then when you actually open the app and run bootstrap recovery - it's doing what, changing the instructions for how to boot up? (since CW is already there?)

edit: sorry for the Q's, just trying to understand... just getting re-familiarized with my X after a few months of it sitting in a drawer

Droid-Xer
03-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Correct. Bootstrap is the front end application for getting into clockwork. Click bootstrap rec then reboot rec and it'll boot into clockwork. After every manual reboot it will go to clockwork. Just select reboot

FlyingJ
03-09-2011, 11:47 AM
OK, I was experimenting after creating a backup to verify the restore process.

I retarted into the recovery and made a backup and saw nothing that looked odd.

I then deleted a shortcut to an app on a homescreen and then rebooted into recovery and went to restore the only backup image listed (I did not rename).

It kicked off ok but when restoring the data portion it hung on a particular file. Batt pull and manually restarted into recovery and tried again and still got stuck at that same data file (some hexidecimal name). Tried again and stuck on the same file.

Researched and saw that advanced restoring the different parts may work, and did boot, then system and tried to reboot normall and stuck at the red eye for about 7 minutes and figured no good so I tried to restore (advanced) all parts separately and still got stuck at the data restore at same file name.

So I am a little paranoid about messing with roms etc if I am going to have to re-SBF and rebuild this phone each time a restore/backup fails. Is this common?

Did I miss something with the process? Or is it best to do multiple backups in case of corruption?

Thanks!

Droid-Xer
03-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Its best to have a few backups available. Some people have had an issue with restoring backups, not sure why though. If you get stuck at the eye then go into stock recovery and factory reset then reboot.

bsbabcock
03-09-2011, 05:29 PM
My newb-question of the day. Do you mean something different when you say "stock recovery", than booting into bootstrap and restoring a stock un-rom'd backup from the backup/restore menu? Or is that exactly what you mean? As you can tell I'm still ignorant with some of the syntax.

Droid-Xer
03-09-2011, 05:34 PM
Yes there's stock recovery and clockwork mod recovery (CWM). stock recovery is holding down home and power button when booting up, release home at m screen, wait for triangle then press search key. This is stock recovery. From here all you can do is reboot, wiped data/factory reset and use an officially signed motorola update zip.

Clockwork is what bootstrap gets us into.

FlyingJ
03-09-2011, 07:44 PM
Its best to have a few backups available. Some people have had an issue with restoring backups, not sure why though. If you get stuck at the eye then go into stock recovery and factory reset then reboot.

Thanks for your help.

Now, if I am unable to get a restore, from that menu can I do the factory wipe and will that work ok or will I need to flash SBK from usb/computer?

Droid-Xer
03-09-2011, 08:16 PM
You can always attempt to get it to boot by doing a factory reset otherwise you would need to do an SBF

FlyingJ
03-10-2011, 11:24 AM
You can always attempt to get it to boot by doing a factory reset otherwise you would need to do an SBF

Did a full SBF wipe and then restored and then just to see if I could waste more time and money, I deleted that DXREcov backup file. Launched back into green mode, made another backup then tried again. 24 hours later I have had SBF failure, then recovered in blue (stock) hard reset. And now, as a bonus, when I restore titanium backup, my gmail will not sync.

Long story short, has anyone ever had any success with Droid X Recovery BOotstrap?

Thank you very much for your reply!

Frustrated DX...

Droid-Xer
03-10-2011, 12:11 PM
You're one of a few thats had issues with this app. Not sure what to tell ya. Its worked for thousands of others.

FlyingJ
03-10-2011, 12:14 PM
Ah well, thanks for your help!

J

drakeeeeeeee
03-10-2011, 12:15 PM
So once I root / bootstrap my phone, creating a backup is what a nandroid is? I thought nandroid was something you have to download like titanium?

Droid-Xer
03-10-2011, 12:30 PM
The backup made using bootstrap is a nandroid. This is a snapshot of your entire phone at the moment you make the backup.

John.Borgen
03-10-2011, 12:37 PM
You're one of a few thats had issues with this app. Not sure what to tell ya. Its worked for thousands of others.

QFT I've got a dozen backups and I've only had one failure in the lot of them.

insert witty signature comment here.

bsbabcock
03-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Makes me want to revert back to stock, pull all the apps from Ti Pro, verify everything is working well, make another nandroid backup, save as a second "just incase" and file away.. Then immediately get back over to my rom'd themed setup before I go blind from the lag of stock. hehe

mikeinrichmond
03-10-2011, 01:03 PM
Makes me want to revert back to stock, pull all the apps from Ti Pro, verify everything is working well, make another nandroid backup, save as a second "just incase" and file away.. Then immediately get back over to my rom'd themed setup before I go blind from the lag of stock. hehe
If everything is working fine, don't bother. Just download the Maderstcok.zip file or buy the Team Black Hat app, and download their version, and keep a copy on your sd card then use it to get back to stock if needed...

(Swyped on the go..)

JNEHAMA
03-10-2011, 01:29 PM
If everything is working fine, don't bother. Just download the Maderstcok.zip file or buy the Team Black Hat app, and download their version, and keep a copy on your sd card then use it to get back to stock if needed...
(Swyped on the go..)

I had a question about backups as well. The first time I was planning to flash a rom, after wiping data an cache, I made another backup of the stock OS 2.3.340. Would this be similar to flashing maderstcok's zip but done as recovery and would one have advantage over the other? Obviously I had rooted the phone so Im not sure if after the data wipe is it considered rooted or not? That's why when I ran into trouble yesterday I applied maderstcok but Im curious for the future. Thanks

Droid-Xer
03-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Having a stock backup is similar to maderstcok zip except the zip removes root. I just use ny stock backup for any issues.

JNEHAMA
03-10-2011, 05:49 PM
Having a stock backup is similar to maderstcok zip except the zip removes root. I just use ny stock backup for any issues.

Just to be sure I understand this right, even after the data wipe the stock nandroid I made would leave me still rooted after I flash it? I could use it instead and avoid having to reroot. If that's true I can keep that on my sd card as well and save myself a step. Thanks for the info.

mikeinrichmond
03-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Just to be sure I understand this right, even after the data wipe the stock nandroid I made would leave me still rooted after I flash it? I could use it instead and avoid having to reroot. If that's true I can keep that on my sd card as well and save myself a step. Thanks for the info.

Yes, when you restore a backup even after a data wipe, you will still be rooted...

(Swyped on the go..)

JNEHAMA
03-10-2011, 11:21 PM
Yes, when you restore a backup even after a data wipe, you will still be rooted...

(Swyped on the go..)

Awesome as my kids would say!! I have someone to thank for making that nandroid. I read it on a forum that you should make a "clean" back up too. Can't remember where. Could I share it as a downloadable file if someone needed one or wanted to play around w/ clean rooted os. I have no idea how to do that. ?? Thanks for the info.

1KDS
03-10-2011, 11:24 PM
You don't want to share nandroids, you may be sharing your personal information with someone else. The only nandroid that would be safe to share would be to sbf then immediately root and backup before signing into google or restoring any data.

JNEHAMA
03-11-2011, 01:31 AM
You don't want to share nandroids, you may be sharing your personal information with someone else. The only nandroid that would be safe to share would be to sbf then immediately root and backup before signing into google or restoring any data.
Ok that's why I ask. I have learned so much @both my phone and computer since I started this its amazing. I thought since the nandroid was made after a data/cache wipe with no reconnect to google my stuff would be gone. I hope you guys don't mind the questions. I really want to understand what I'm doing not just punch the right keys. I find I make alot fewer mistakes when I really understand and on the otherhand it encourages me to try new things which is just plain old fun! Thanks for the patience. :)

Droid-Xer
03-11-2011, 01:01 PM
We're all here to help!! Ask whatever you're unsure about. It's always easier to ask then to fix a problem caused cuz you didnt ask.

bsbabcock
03-11-2011, 01:29 PM
And if I understand correctly, the maderstock file is to accomplish the task of reverting to stock without having to share some nandroid. Like the "restore disc" you get with a new pc. Except it certainly doesn't look as easy as throwing a boot disc in the drive and firing it up. So I think of a nandroid not so much unlike an "image" backup you'd make on a PC.. It's kinda just for THAT particular pc.

Droid-Xer
03-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Correct using Maderstcok update zip is installed just like a ROM. Download zip, boot into clockwork, wipe data/cache, install zip, reboot and you're back to stock 2.3.340. The Team Black Hat app has a full 2.3.340 install zip that SBFs your phone as well. Its a lil cleaner than mader's. I'm not sure if mader has fixed his zip so that it removes bootstrap as well.

JNEHAMA
03-11-2011, 10:04 PM
My bootstrap was still there after I used maders zip but I was paranoid so I uninstalled and reinstalled it from the market after I go root back.

1KDS
03-11-2011, 10:21 PM
maderstcok doesn't remove bootstrap, he was going to work on one that did at some point.

Droid-Xer
03-12-2011, 02:45 AM
Ya if you want to go back to 100% stock just buy Team Black Hats app and use the flashable SBF file which will remove root, su, and bootstrap.

mydx
03-21-2011, 04:53 PM
I am usinng Droid X stock OS, rooted and I need my phone replaced. Can I restore the backup of my current X to the new phone or will it fail or brick the new hardware?

WarlockGhost
03-21-2011, 05:04 PM
I have never had a problem with bootstrap, make sure you are following all the steps properly.

WarlockGhost
03-21-2011, 05:10 PM
As long as you are replacing an X with an X, it will work just fine. I did it just recently because i had to replace mine. I rooted the new phone before flashing the backup to be safe, and it worked like a charm.

Sent from my Fissionized DX

Droid-Xer
03-21-2011, 06:27 PM
I am usinng Droid X stock OS, rooted and I need my phone replaced. Can I restore the backup of my current X to the new phone or will it fail or brick the new hardware?

Yes. Just root and install bootstrap on the new phone then restore the backup

JerryC
03-31-2011, 03:30 PM
Guys, i rooted my phone and installed the pre rooted gingerbread. Trying to get into bootstrap again but all i get is a black screen on reboot.. I have to take my battery out to boot back into my phone. Im trying to get into the bootstrap options.. Any suggestions?

ashpdwinDX
03-31-2011, 03:36 PM
I think you have to use the Droid 2 Bootstrapper. I'm not exactly sure though

JerryC
03-31-2011, 04:15 PM
I think you have to use the Droid 2 Bootstrapper. I'm not exactly sure though

It's worked before with the droid x bootstrapper. Now its now...

mikeinrichmond
03-31-2011, 04:19 PM
If you have the original Bootstrap program turn off USB debugging, then it will work on GB...

(Swypin' GB on the go)

mopar-x
03-31-2011, 04:30 PM
I have been having issues with both recovery apps ... sometimes they will boot in recovery and sometimes they don't. :/

JerryC
03-31-2011, 05:04 PM
If you have the original Bootstrap program turn off USB debugging, then it will work on GB...

(Swypin' GB on the go)

This worked. thanks!!!!!!!!!

mikeinrichmond
03-31-2011, 05:09 PM
This worked. thanks!!!!!!!!!

Welcome. :)

tycoon177
04-05-2011, 11:10 PM
I removed the dx bootstrap through the root explorer method. Do I have to do special things to get it back?

Sent from my rooted droid x

Droid-Xer
04-06-2011, 02:10 AM
You should he able to uninstall/reinstall, open SU and forget it, then open bootstrap, select bootstrap recovery, then allow SU access and hit ok and then reboot recovery

tycoon177
04-06-2011, 07:29 AM
Thanks!

Sent from my rooted droid x

Droid-Xer
04-06-2011, 08:18 AM
No problemo

plumcrazy
04-12-2011, 08:57 PM
is there an easier way for dummies like me to uninstall boostrap than the method below ?

Uninstall bootstrap app first
1. Click mount r/w
2. DELETE
a) system/bin/hijack
b) system/bin/logwrapper
3. RENAME
4. TO
a) system/bin/logwrapper

Droid-Xer
04-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Its really easy if you have root explorer. Open the app, go to system, go to bin, select the file by long pressing and delete. Do that for hijack and logwrapper. Then long press logwrapper.bin and rename it to logwrapper, just take off the .bin and save.

plumcrazy
04-13-2011, 03:27 PM
ok, i'll give it a shot...

Droid-Xer
04-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Report back if ya have any issues.

quasarquinn
05-03-2011, 03:27 PM
I rooted (z4) installed titanium back up, and installed bootstrap, but when I open it click on bootstrap recovery it says success I click ok and nothing happens...no reboot. do I need to uninstall TB

Solved it!!

I am having the same issue, any ideas on what I should do. I did notice that Bootstrap is not list in my SU log. Thanks!

Droid DOES!!
05-03-2011, 04:13 PM
I am having the same issue, any ideas on what I should do. I did notice that Bootstrap is not list in my SU log. Thanks!

No Reboot Recovery option or it doesn't work? Have you gone into su and "forgot" Bootstrapper then tried again?

This thread has been Thunder struck!

quasarquinn
05-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Doesn't work. I click bootstrap recovery....success pops up and I click OK. The I click Reboot Recovery and nothing happens. I don't even remember Bootstrap asking for SU permission. I also used Titanium Backup already if that has anything to do with it.

Droid DOES!!
05-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Doesn't work. I click bootstrap recovery....success pops up and I click OK. The I click Reboot Recovery and nothing happens. I don't even remember Bootstrap asking for SU permission. I also used Titanium Backup already if that has anything to do with it.

It's supposed to ask after you select Bootstrap Recovery but before the Success pop-up. Maybe try uninstalling with Titanium, Forget in su, reboot, and reinstall from the market. See if that helps.

Droid-Xer
05-03-2011, 07:09 PM
Go to setting/apps/manage apps/droidx bootstrap/force stop/clear data

quasarquinn
05-03-2011, 09:38 PM

WORKED! This forum is the best!

Thanks Droid DOES!! and Droid-Xer

Droid-Xer
05-03-2011, 09:51 PM
Cool.

Droid DOES!!
05-03-2011, 10:05 PM

Will remember this..thanks! :)

Droid-Xer
05-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Will remember this..thanks! :)

Its a cure all for many little pain in the butt app issues

bophead
05-04-2011, 10:32 PM
Thanks, that was a very clear explanation of the process. Something I will definitely use. Sorry for being such a noob. The forums do have a lot of material, but sometimes it is hard to find it. I have a hard time finding posts that helped me out of a jam so that I could thank the contributor.
:)

Droid-Xer
05-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Thanks, that was a very clear explanation of the process. Something I will definitely use. Sorry for being such a noob. The forums do have a lot of material, but sometimes it is hard to find it. I have a hard time finding posts that helped me out of a jam so that I could thank the contributor.
:)

no problem, glad it helped

herb_skueeze
05-14-2011, 03:54 PM
I would like to root my droidx any suggestions for a first timer.......

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

beckerfj
05-15-2011, 12:05 AM
I would like to root my droidx any suggestions for a first timer.......

Z4root

Can't get any easier than this.

Liberty Gingerbread v0.5

Droid-Xer
05-15-2011, 02:33 AM
Yes look in hacking section for z4 links

MICHO
05-15-2011, 02:37 AM
http://www.DroidXForums.com/forum/gingerbread-development-hacking/24514-gingerbreak-released.html

Or you can use gingerbreak

fordhacker
05-16-2011, 12:27 AM
Searching for some help with bootstrap/clockwork....Droidx rooted with z4root, Running dxgbrooted, backed up first with bootstrap before install. Whole reason for switching to gb was for netflix, now that realhdmi has gb support (not working on dxgbrooted) figured I would give liberty a try. Went to bootstrap to perform another backup and flash to liberty 2.0...however after hitting bootstrap recovery and hitting ok, then hitting reboot recovery, phone reboots, red M appears then phone goes to lit up black screen. Downloaded clockwork, and reboot to do backup same thing. Little lost why this does it. Doing a factory reboot holding home and power brings up ! with green android but after hitting search button nothing happens....will always reboot back to normal phone. Before downloading clockwork, uninstalled bootstrap, reinstalled same gig. Any ideas?

cory46
05-16-2011, 01:01 AM
Searching for some help with bootstrap/clockwork....Droidx rooted with z4root, Running dxgbrooted, backed up first with bootstrap before install. Whole reason for switching to gb was for netflix, now that realhdmi has gb support (not working on dxgbrooted) figured I would give liberty a try. Went to bootstrap to perform another backup and flash to liberty 2.0...however after hitting bootstrap recovery and hitting ok, then hitting reboot recovery, phone reboots, red M appears then phone goes to lit up black screen. Downloaded clockwork, and reboot to do backup same thing. Little lost why this does it. Doing a factory reboot holding home and power brings up ! with green android but after hitting search button nothing happens....will always reboot back to normal phone. Before downloading clockwork, uninstalled bootstrap, reinstalled same gig. Any ideas?

Are you using droid 2 bootstrap? If your not you have untick USB debugging but then check it if using titanium backup.

Stock recovery you'll have to use the volume buttons if I remember correctly to perform factory wipe on gingerbread

ashpdwinDX
05-16-2011, 01:08 AM

Also Liberty 2.0 is a froyo rom don't try to flash it before doing an SBF or else it will cause issues. So after making you backup in clockwork SBF to flash liberty 2.0 Easy sbf solution - http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html Unless you meant one of the GB versions of liberty..then don't follow this. lol

fordhacker
05-16-2011, 01:21 AM
Thanks!! Forgot all about the USB debugging, and its always on for Easytether! That took care of all problems! Thanks again!

fordhacker
05-16-2011, 01:22 AM
Also Liberty 2.0 is a froyo rom don't try to flash it before doing an SBF or else it will cause issues. So after making you backup in clockwork SBF to flash liberty 2.0 Easy sbf solution - http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html Unless you meant one of the GB versions of liberty..then don't follow this. lol

Yes planning on Liberty 2.0 GB for netflix...also the dxgbrooted is an awesome rom, might wait to see if realhdmi will eventually get set up to accept it.

beckerfj
05-16-2011, 08:20 AM
Yes planning on Liberty 2.0 GB for netflix...also the dxgbrooted is an awesome rom, might wait to see if realhdmi will eventually get set up to accept it.

As ashpdwindx mentioned above, Liberty 2.0 is Froyo-based. If you want to use a GB-based Liberty ROM, it'll be v0.1-0.5. Look for that when you are ready.

Liberty Gingerbread v0.5

repo_man
05-16-2011, 09:51 PM
I've been trying to get bootstrapper to install from the app market all day and am getting a server connection issue. Is anyone else getting this?

Can I put a ROM on the phone without backing up with bootstrapper? It's a brand new DX so I don't really have anything to backup (that an SBF wouldn't cover honestly).

beckerfj
05-16-2011, 11:21 PM
I've been trying to get bootstrapper to install from the app market all day and am getting a server connection issue. Is anyone else getting this?

Can I put a ROM on the phone without backing up with bootstrapper? It's a brand new DX so I don't really have anything to backup (that an SBF wouldn't cover honestly).

You can put a ROM on without a backup, but if you encounter a problem installing the ROM, you will either need to use your computer to redownload the ROM (if it was a corrupted file) or you will have to SBF.

If you had a backup, you would just restore your backup and go from there. Honestly, if you finally get the bootstrapper installed there really is no reason not to make a backup.

Liberty Gingerbread v0.5

repo_man
05-17-2011, 08:18 AM
You can put a ROM on without a backup, but if you encounter a problem installing the ROM, you will either need to use your computer to redownload the ROM (if it was a corrupted file) or you will have to SBF.

If you had a backup, you would just restore your backup and go from there. Honestly, if you finally get the bootstrapper installed there really is no reason not to make a backup.

Liberty Gingerbread v0.5
I still cannot get bootstrapper to download from the app store this morning. How can I put a ROM on the phone without it? Like I said, I'm pretty near stock anyway, I don't mind having to SBF if I had to.

TerribleOne
05-17-2011, 08:27 AM

Im relatively new but from my understanding you also need it to reboot to recovery. I no you can boot to recovery when initially turning it on, but I never did that before I rooted so idk if you can flash without bootstrap.

mikeinrichmond
05-17-2011, 09:03 AM
No, you cannot flash a Rom without Bootstrap..

(Swypin' GB while watching Netflix on the go)

beckerfj
05-17-2011, 09:06 AM
Im relatively new but from my understanding you also need it to reboot to recovery. I no you can boot to recovery when initially turning it on, but I never did that before I rooted so idk if you can flash without bootstrap.

Yes, if you haven't ROMMED yet, you need to install bootstrapper.

Liberty Gingerbread v0.5

repo_man
05-17-2011, 09:33 AM

No, you cannot flash a Rom without Bootstrap..

Yes, if you haven't ROMMED yet, you need to install bootstrapper.

Liberty Gingerbread v0.5
Fail. Was hoping not to hear that, lol. Thanks for the quick replies. Can anyone try to download bootstrapper from the app store and see if it works for them please? I click on buy and it gives a loading screen then says "A server error has occurred. Retry, or cancel and return to the previous screen". Does anyone else get that error? I've never purchased an app (first time smartphone user), should it come up to a box to prompt me for payment method or something? I finally got the courage to ROM this phone and I can't DL the app for it, LOL. Figures. >_> Again, thanks for the help guys.

mikeinrichmond
05-17-2011, 10:04 AM
I just tested it and Bootstrap d/l fine. Try again..

repo_man
05-17-2011, 10:12 AM
I just tested it and Bootstrap d/l fine. Try again..

Still the same error. Arg. Am going to reboot and try again. BRB

Edit: After reboot still getting the same error. ...?

Edit edit: I'm using a Gmail account from a website (my home forum gives staffers custom Gmail accounts ie - they have a different "@ address" not @gmail). I was looking around the app store faqs and it said to double check the info setup on your Google Checkout account. I've never setup a google checkout account so I went there and it said that my forum's gmail account doesn't support google checkout. Is that the issue perhaps? I didn't know I needed google checkout for apps; I thought they simply got billed to VZW on my monthly bill. Is this the missing link?

mikeinrichmond
05-17-2011, 11:34 AM
Yes, apps are paid for and downloaded through Google, not sent through your VZW account..

repo_man
05-17-2011, 12:14 PM
Yes, apps are paid for and downloaded through Google, not sent through your VZW account..

Ok, understood! :) So should I just make a straight gmail account and setup my google-checkout information then. Can I change the default gmail account sinc'ed with the phone?

westy
05-25-2011, 11:23 PM
Used this thread again for the how-to (I forgot) on my wife's D2G. Thanks again for the how to!

Droid-Xer
05-26-2011, 12:49 AM
Glad it helped ya!

adrock0211
06-11-2011, 12:09 AM
No matter what I do everytime I hit "reboot recovery" the phone reboots but it just does a normal reboot and I never get to the black screen with the green letters? Any advice is appreciate. Running this on a Droid X2.

Dustin0308
06-11-2011, 12:10 AM
No matter what I do everytime I hit "reboot recovery" the phone reboots but it just does a normal reboot and I never get to the black screen with the green letters? Any advice is appreciate. Running this on a Droid X2.

Hit bootstrap recovery first...then ok at the success box then reboot recovery..should work for ya. :)

Sent from my Tbolt running BAMF Remix 1.7, modded

cory46
06-11-2011, 12:15 AM

I didn't think there an alternate recovery (clockwork) for the droid x2 yet

Dustin0308
06-11-2011, 12:16 AM
That I'm not sure of lol..but he can try it. Worst case, it should just do a normal reboot on him..not positive.

cory46
06-11-2011, 12:19 AM
That I'm not sure of lol..but he can try it. Worst case, it should just do a normal reboot on him..not positive.

Or it tries to flash recovery and screws phone up and with no sbf files they could be up poop creek haha

But there isn't a bootstrap for it so it "shouldn't" happen

Dustin0308
06-11-2011, 12:20 AM
It would just fail to hijack the stock recovery...it wouldn't say success from what I understand lol.

Droid-Xer
06-11-2011, 02:42 AM
Answered your pm. You left out it was an x2. There is no recovery for the x2. Unless you want to donate your phone to koush in order to get it working.

Dustin0308
06-11-2011, 06:52 AM
Thanks for clearing that up Droid-Xer

Droid-Xer
06-11-2011, 08:51 AM
Ya no prob. Obviously koush can't have every phone and get clockwork on it. So he needs loaners or others to do it. At this point I don't see any dev picking up the x2 to work on.

wake4x4ptball
06-11-2011, 09:34 AM
What is the difference btw droid X and 2 bootstrap

macpro88
06-11-2011, 10:59 AM
What is the difference btw droid X and 2 bootstrap

I think just different version of the hijack files, the Droid 2 is more updated if I'm not mistaken, they both work with the Droid X though. so it don't really matter which one you use, but when the Gingerbread leaks started rolling out, the Droid 2 version worked better than the Droid X version. The Droid X version will work on the latest GB if you have USB debugging set off though.

Droid-Xer
06-13-2011, 05:49 PM
ya dx bootstrap isnt as up to date as d2 bootstrap.

RookieRooter
06-27-2011, 04:33 PM
Droid X/2 Bootstrapper Question.

First of all - I have both on my phone - I installed the DXBS and then after .596 came out - I installed the D2BS so that it would be compatible.

I am a firm believer in Backups. Anytime I play around with the phone the first thing I do is
SMSBackup to backup Text Messaging
AppBrain Sync/Update to update my Apps on AppBrain
Titanium Back - BackUp All User Apps and System Data
Droid 2 Bootstrap - Backup
Photograph my seven home screens
and then BackUp Complete SD Card to Desktop Computer.

However - everytime I play around with the phone - I end up going back to the state it was in before I started - but it is not just a simple reverse of the backups. I end up spending HOURS getting it back and it takes the fun out of playing around with it.

Am I doing something wrong - or is this to be expected.

1KDS
06-27-2011, 06:42 PM
You should be able to restore the backup you made with bootstrap/clockwork, it will be a mirror image of your system from the point when you made the backup.

Droid-Xer
06-27-2011, 07:50 PM
Yup. The nandroid creted by D2 Bootstrap will return you to your previous set up. Then you can use TiBU to restore app data and SMS Backup and Restore to restore texts

dllhead
07-16-2011, 08:23 PM
well I followed the instructions but it just reboots normally and I dont get to see the black screen with green letters - anyone got any idea's what I need to do - I really need to make a proper back up now that the phone is 'rooted' and i'm installing/uninstalling apps etc

popcenator
07-16-2011, 08:26 PM
Have you given it root access? Open Superuser app and see if bootstrap is listed.

on the move..