PDA

View Full Version : want to root my DX

maybish
12-14-2010, 02:36 PM
ok so ive decided to go ahead and do this and ive been reading and trying to learn everything. so ive downloaded z4 onto the phone but havent opened it yet. so ive got a couple questions before i continue...do i need to have my usb to connect to the computer? i left it at work and wont get it back till tomorrow night which means i wont be able to connect to the computer till thursday. next question...once youre rooted do you still have the phone access? like making/receiving calls and sending/receiving texts, email etc???

i did see the thread about the apps to have once ive rooted. is the market still on the phone?

pablo1010
12-14-2010, 02:44 PM
You dont need a usb u still receive things and market is still there

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

ajp
12-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Everything on the phone is the same after you are rooted, the only difference is that you now have administrator access. It's like going from a user to an admin. So you can now do whatever you want with your phone (like rename bloatware so it doesn't run and also have a wifi hotspot without paying extra).

And no, you don't need a usb connection to your computer. You only needed that in the past because programs like z4root didn't exist to do the exploit for you.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Droid-Xer
12-14-2010, 02:49 PM
Z4 root app is in my signature

maybish
12-14-2010, 02:53 PM
ok thanks guys!! and thanks xer, i did get it from megaupload!

Droid-Xer
12-14-2010, 03:00 PM
Sweet. Let me know if you need anymore help with it.

maybish
12-14-2010, 03:14 PM
ok i will..the megaload download kept giving me a parsing error so i deleted it and downloaded the one from meidafire...its installing right now. so stay with me!! hehe

jonasmckee
12-14-2010, 03:38 PM
z4 works great.. but i did have to try 3 times... first 2 times it froze.. i had to pull battery (i even left it for 2 hours).. the 3rd time it was done in 2 minutes! voila! i read many forums about the same prob..

wicked
12-14-2010, 05:23 PM
ok i will..the megaload download kept giving me a parsing error so i deleted it and downloaded the one from meidafire...its installing right now. so stay with me!! hehe

That's the reason why I provided extra mirrors. For some reason the megaupload link gives people issues.
Glad you got my mediafire link to work.
Keep us posted

maybish
12-14-2010, 06:20 PM
Yep! It took 3 tries and it finally worked! So now that dinner is done and the kitchen is clean ill start playing around with what to do and get next! Haha thanks guys!!!

Sent from my DROIDX

Droid-Xer
12-14-2010, 06:24 PM
No problemo, if you're going to mod your phone grab the Droid x bootstrap to make a system backup of your phone. Get the app in my signature below.