PDA

View Full Version : Got a Driod X starts in bootloader, where do i go from here

Kleverpseudonym
12-13-2010, 09:49 PM
I got a Driod X, and it starts in the bootloader. the M comes up then srt8 to bootloader. it says "bootloader 30.03"

battery ok
ok to program
transfer mode
USB

i tried holding down the power & the Home button, the recovery module comes up but it gives me this
E:cant open /cache/recovery/command.

there was no SD card in the phone, i just installed one. i tried taking the battery out for 10 mins, still same thing.what can i do to get it working from here?

thanks!

Abe21599
12-13-2010, 10:07 PM
try flashing the 2.2 sbf
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rs-guides/12015-complete-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html

Kleverpseudonym
12-13-2010, 10:34 PM
so, now while i had i plugged into the computer and downloading the programs, it shut off. when i press the power button, the home and the button to left of it light up for a sec then fade of.......

Abe21599
12-13-2010, 10:35 PM
dead battery and it wont charge in the phone. gonna need to find an external battery charger

spodoc
12-13-2010, 10:38 PM
I got a Driod X, and it starts in the bootloader. the M comes up then srt8 to bootloader. it says "bootloader 30.03"

battery ok
ok to program
transfer mode
USB

i tried holding down the power & the Home button, the recovery module comes up but it gives me this
E:cant open /cache/recovery/command.

there was no SD card in the phone, i just installed one. i tried taking the battery out for 10 mins, still same thing.what can i do to get it working from here?

thanks!

When the X is updated, an updated bootloader is installed. Motorola has engineered it so that putting the old software back on (e.g. 2.1 on top of 2.2) will result in the bootloader screen you see. Why do they do that? I'm not sure. But that's what they have decided would be a good business model.

I was in your boat a few months ago. Flashing the 2.2 sbf fixed my problems. The link Abe posted will direct you to the correct SBF needed to get your phone running.

spodoc
12-13-2010, 10:52 PM
Failing a flash in the middle due to a dead battery can send you into that screen. So you need a charged battery or an adequate stream of electricity to the phone while it is flashing. The safest is, of course, to charge the battery via external charger or second X. In your phone's state, it will NOT charge the battery. A fully charged battery (or a stream of electricity) is needed to complete the SBF flash process.

If you can't wait, like I couldn't, then you can cut a USB cable and use the appropriate wires to attach to the appropriate terminals on the battery and charge it that way. It did it and it worked fine. There are 4 wires inside a USB cable (pos, neg, and two data). You would want to take care and wrap the data wires so they don't touch each other or anything else. Of course, pos and neg go to the appropriate terminals on the battery. If this sounds reasonable to you, then it probably is and I'd do it. If it sounds crazy and too risky for such an expensive phone, then you are right and you should just wait and go charge your battery fully at a verizon store or order a charger from the web.

I did it and it worked amazingly well. I used masking tape to affix the stripped wires to the appropriate terminals of the battery. Then I placed that into the phone. Finally I carefully plugged USB cable into charger or computer. Juice was deilvered to X and completed the flash just fine. It's like jumpstarting the phone :)

Do I think it was "smart"? No. I probably should have waited a few days and fed-exed an external charger to my house. But, I'm impatient and it worked fine :)

Kleverpseudonym
12-14-2010, 07:55 PM
Ok, so i got it to restore using the SFB flashing, now when i start it up the radio is always off and the phone is in airplane mode. It will connect to my Wifi, but it wont come out of airplane mode

any suggestions?

after further searching i see that some info is missing in the "about Phone"

"baseband version"=unknown

"ERI version"=unknown
"PRL version"=Unknown

C Dippa
12-14-2010, 07:58 PM
Doing a factory reset should fix those issues, and you won't lose anything since the phone is basically dataless at this point.

Then activate the phone and your data connection will be back.

Kleverpseudonym
12-14-2010, 08:38 PM
just tried still the same........ before i flashed the sbf, i was able to turn off the airplane mode, now i am not.

Ntrent1
12-15-2010, 09:01 PM
It's not airplane mode - the phone isn't activated and that symbol just shows it.

Press *228 and select option one - verizon will reprogram all the data and you'll be set.

Good luck!

dogbots159
01-02-2012, 10:52 AM
I have been having this problem that no one has been able to answer. or maybe i just missed it. Anyways, when im in boot loader mode, it tells me to connect data cable. when I do, it flashes the words "transfer mode:usb". Then its right back to "connect data cable". I have tried it with every method of flashing the DX but i always have to stop at this point.
For the record, i tried it with my friends droid x and it worked straight off. any help would be amazing! Thank You!

Talon66721
01-02-2012, 11:51 AM
It may be a bad cable. Have you got another one you can try to see if maybe that's it? That would be my first guess.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forums

dogbots159
01-02-2012, 12:40 PM
It may be a bad cable. Have you got another one you can try to see if maybe that's it? That would be my first guess.

I tried another cable but it didnt help. I also tested these cables on another working droid x just to be sure. no dice. I'm charging the battery again just to be sure, but I dont know if that wount have and effect.

also' thank you for your quick reply

ems3
01-02-2012, 01:33 PM
I tried another cable but it didnt help. I also tested these cables on another working droid x just to be sure. no dice. I'm charging the battery again just to be sure, but I dont know if that wount have and effect.

also' thank you for your quick reply

Is it possible that the connection on the phone is loose? I know mine has trouble when charging sometimes

Talon66721
01-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Good point. I did have to change one phone out for a bad usb plug. How well does the cable fit in there? It's possible it got messed up.

dogbots159
01-02-2012, 02:35 PM
it would always charge before i messed it up. tho I guess it is a possibility. But could it be possible that it could charge but not be able to transfer data?

ems3
01-02-2012, 04:50 PM
Try hooking up on bootloader screen and moving the cable..... If its loose it will go from on to off....... That's the best way I know to test it.... Sometimes the cable gets bent I or my twins hold the phone by the cable and can mess up the phone connection.

dogbots159
01-02-2012, 11:42 PM
nothing. It seems that it changes only when i plug it it, then goes back to telling me to plug it in. Nothing changes by moving the cable when plugged in or by unpluging. It does seem that I'm out of luck haha

DirtyDroid
01-02-2012, 11:52 PM
quick question...kinda read through some of this...are you stuck in bootloader? or does this just happen when you get into bootloader, in other words does your phone still work minus this annoyance? and are you trying to sbf? and with what?