PDA

View Full Version : Rooted now what

tycoon177
12-12-2010, 05:28 PM
I just rooted with z4 and was wondering what else I should do I don't want custom roms

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Garemlin
12-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Download Drocap2 and take some screenshots. Titanium Pro or MyBackUp Pro and back up your apps and data. CacheCleaner to clean out all caches at once. AdFree to get rid of free app ads.

smalltowngirl13
12-12-2010, 05:40 PM
You can look at some of the apps that require root to be functional...drocap2, wireless tether, adfree, etc... Here is a good thread that gives you what apps there are... http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/1466-apps-your-rooted-droid-x.html

Which leads to my question - why did you root? That answer will help you to determine next steps...

Abe21599
12-12-2010, 05:40 PM
well why did u root in the first place?

drummer.graham
12-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Lol, I originally rooted just to freeze bloatware. That same night I was running darkslide v4 custom rom.

Sent from my DROIDX

mikeinrichmond
12-12-2010, 06:38 PM
I just rooted with z4 and was wondering what else I should do I don't want custom roms

Now you get to read a lot of the great info on this site, start with the 'stickies'. Before you know it, you'll be installing all kinds of cool stuff that, at this point, you say you "don't want". ;)

tycoon177
12-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Well I wanted to root for bloatware and overclocking. I don't want roms because i don't want to have to sbf later on. Also I just wanted root apps to dnlwnld

spodoc
12-12-2010, 10:19 PM
You should read up on Koush bootstrap recovery. It can be download as a pay app in the market or for free off his website (My Brain Hurts (http://www.koushikdutta.com/)). I paid because it's sick when you think about how much time this app saves you. It takes only seconds to install and run, and a few minutes to make the backup. You can dump the backup image to your computer if you don't want to lug around 400mb on your card or feel like it's a safe thing to do to have a copy on your computer.

There are many places to read up, but http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rs-guides/12081-rooolers-guide-root-unroot-backup-rom-sbf-overclock.html gives you some helpful info on backups.

In short, KBR is an app that will interrupt the boot of your phone and shoot you into a menu. From that primative menu, you can create a backup image of your phone. Mess something up, and you can return to said menu and restore the phone using that image. It could be an easy way out of a jam one day. People use it in conjuction with Titanium which backs up apps.

There are advantages and disadvantages to everything, but if you read a lot, many consider that to be a wise first step prior to any heavy tinkiering.

Shiyan
12-14-2010, 12:32 PM
How does adfree work? i have it loaded but it isn't working.

Abe21599
12-14-2010, 12:45 PM
How does adfree work? i have it loaded but it isn't working.

download and install hosts

Shiyan
12-14-2010, 12:49 PM
download and install hosts
Ok. I got to the download and install hosts once and it gave me a java error. Now I can't even get to the download install. It sits at the "Please wait while I determine if the local hosts file is up to date." screen and won't do anything else but sit there. I let it sit for 15minutes and nothing.

*Edit* Nevermind. I got it working finally. It just wasn't connecting to the host server but now it is working.

tycoon177
12-15-2010, 07:08 PM
If I make a backup is it like a nandroid or everything because I had a rooted eris where I flashed back to a rom and then had to restore