PDA

View Full Version : Can I use 2.3.15 sbf if i accept the new OTA update??

mpetruzz
12-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Since I've been modding my DX i have had to use the sbf a few times to recover from some mishaps. I'm kind of interested in updating to the new OTA but am curious whether or not I could use the 2.3.15 sbf if I run into any problems and need to start over fresh. And from what I understand the new update changes the bootloader. I just wanted to ask before I do anything and get to a point where I'm really stuck.

I don't think there is a full sbf for the new update, just a system only.

justinbricker
12-12-2010, 07:09 PM
I need help, and you might be able to help me. Please. i just tried to do a factory restore on my phone, and when i rebooted and went through the steps, i had no home screen. i cant open anything or see anything. only the top bar (battery and 3G signal).

A little history, i was on 2.3.15, 2.2.1, kernal 2.6.32.9. I was rooted, and removed bloat ware, at this point is when i did the facxtory reset. What can i do to get my ohone back into a functional condition? pleas help. sorry for posting this in your thread.

Abe21599
12-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Since I've been modding my DX i have had to use the sbf a few times to recover from some mishaps. I'm kind of interested in updating to the new OTA but am curious whether or not I could use the 2.3.15 sbf if I run into any problems and need to start over fresh. And from what I understand the new update changes the bootloader. I just wanted to ask before I do anything and get to a point where I'm really stuck.

I don't think there is a full sbf for the new update, just a system only.

no full sbf for the new update, and no dont use the 2.2 sbf.

I need help, and you might be able to help me. Please. i just tried to do a factory restore on my phone, and when i rebooted and went through the steps, i had no home screen. i cant open anything or see anything. only the top bar (battery and 3G signal).

A little history, i was on 2.3.15, 2.2.1, kernal 2.6.32.9. I was rooted, and removed bloat ware, at this point is when i did the facxtory reset. What can i do to get my ohone back into a functional condition? pleas help. sorry for posting this in your thread.

a factory reset only really erases user data. if you froze something, it will probably still be gone. if u cant get anything on the screen, id sbf
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rs-guides/12015-complete-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html

justinbricker
12-12-2010, 07:28 PM
no full sbf for the new update, and no dont use the 2.2 sbf.

a factory reset only really erases user data. if you froze something, it will probably still be gone. if u cant get anything on the screen, id sbf
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-rs-guides/12015-complete-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html

Thank you for the QUICK response! i will give this a shot right now and let you know what happens. THANKS!

joshw0000
12-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Abe,

I just downloaded the full sbf for 2.2.1, 2.3.32 (for safe keeping) that you posted in another thread. If I update to 2.3.34, I CANNOT use that, correct? Is it only for the leakers, or can the OTA's use it as well?

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

Abe21599
12-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Thank you for the QUICK response! i will give this a shot right now and let you know what happens. THANKS!

no problem

Abe,

I just downloaded the full sbf for 2.2.1, 2.3.32 (for safe keeping) that you posted in another thread. If I update to 2.3.34, I CANNOT use that, correct? Is it only for the leakers, or can the OTA's use it as well?

im really not sure how the two differ..

joshw0000
12-12-2010, 07:52 PM
I'm going to wait until someone either successfully sbf's or bricks their phone before I update. :)

justinbricker
12-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Well i got back into my phone with the guide you sent me. THANKS! just really slow now. For now, i can live with that. At least i got my phone back in working order. Thanks again! (and sorry for kinda taking over the post)

1KDS
12-12-2010, 08:32 PM
You're screen name scares me, especially when you're sbf'ing ;)

mpetruzz
12-12-2010, 08:51 PM
Ok so lets say I accept the ota upgrade for. 34 and something happens am I screwed?? I don't want the extra stuff I want to go to Tranq 3.6. If I do the update could I reflash a restore point for another rom?

ArthurIhde
12-13-2010, 08:15 PM
Well,that is a wonderful experience.

Ryan M
12-13-2010, 08:22 PM
Abe,

You can use the .320 sbf but to get to .340 from there you will need the TBH system updater or system only sbf.

I have not personally had to do so yet but many at MDW have tried and confirmed it works

joshw0000
12-13-2010, 10:29 PM
You can use the .320 sbf but to get to .340 from there you will need the TBH system updater or system only sbf.

I have not personally had to do so yet but many at MDW have tried and confirmed it works

MDW? Can you link to it? I don't see how a locked bootloader would let you sbf to a lower system version? But I guess if it's working, you can't argue with results.

Ryan M
12-13-2010, 10:45 PM
Mydroidworld.com
The reason you can't go back to 2.2 from .320/.340 is the bootloader but .320 and .340 share the same bootloader

Btango05
12-14-2010, 12:16 AM
Ok so lets say I accept the ota upgrade for. 34 and something happens am I screwed?? I don't want the extra stuff I want to go to Tranq 3.6. If I do the update could I reflash a restore point for another rom?

No you're not screwed... I downloaded the OTA 2.2.1 version 2.3.34 and lost root. Z4 was not working so I SBF'd using the files found on this site (http://www.droid-life.com/2010/12/09/droid-x-2-3-340-system-sbf-released-for-2-3-320-leak-users/). Then I was able to root using Z4 as the SBF removed the previous Superuser files that I believe were interfering with Z4's SU files

I'm going to wait until someone either successfully sbf's or bricks their phone before I update. :)Been there and done that...no problems!

chucklehead
12-14-2010, 08:07 AM
Ok...hate to sound like a broken record but I just want to be sure before I do anything.

What I'd like to do is start completely fresh.

First off, I did the OTA update to 2.3.340(2.2.1) from 2.3.15(2.2). No problems there.

From what I'm reading and understanding I can use the .sbf file from this site (http://www.droid-life.com/2010/12/09/droid-x-2-3-340-system-sbf-released-for-2-3-320-leak-users/) (posted from above) which is a system only .sbf reverting back to 2.3.320. After that I can redo the OTA update bringing me to 2.3.340. Correct?

And...what else needs to be done, with user or other data files, in order to be completely fresh? I plan on backing up and formatting my sdcard also.

Btango05
12-14-2010, 08:26 AM
The sbf in the link at the site is 2.3.34...it doesn't revert you back to 2.3.32

So in other words if you sbf using the file linked in that site you will be updated to the most current version and won't have to redo the OTA again.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

chucklehead
12-14-2010, 08:54 AM
So in other words if you sbf using the file linked in that site you will be updated to the most current version and won't have to redo the OTA again.

Cool. Thank you.

mpetruzz
12-14-2010, 09:32 AM
So if I run into trouble, like I did last night, I can flash the system sbf of. 34? What's the difference between the system and full sbf.

Garemlin
12-14-2010, 11:41 AM
So if I am reading this correct there is no way to sbf back to bone stock "fresh out of the box" if you have taken the update??

C Dippa
12-14-2010, 11:56 AM
This thread is confusing...it is definitely possible to sbf after the update. I have helped a couple people flash the full sbf after the new OTA update. The TBH Happy Holidays file worked for them...I went ahead and downloaded it for safe-keeping.

mpetruzz
12-14-2010, 12:20 PM
I'm confused myself and I started it. All I am trying to find out is; what steps do I take in case I get into trouble and get stuck in a bootloop or other problem. It seems as though I can flash the .32 full sbf and then the .34 system only sbf. I'm just trying to see if that is correct. Oh, and then i'd need the files.

joshw0000
12-14-2010, 12:21 PM
Ok, the system version means nothing to the sbf? The bootloader determines what sbf you can use? My phone came stock with 2.2, on 2.3.15 system, with 30.04 bootloader. I have never sbf'ed but had I sbf'ed I would need the .320 or .340 file? sbf'ing with the 2.3.15 file would brick my phone (even know I'm on 2.2, not 2.2.1).

C Dippa
12-14-2010, 12:41 PM
Not sure about .340 or a 2.2 with 30.04...I just have seen that one work after the OTA update to 2.2.1

Sent from my DROIDX

chucklehead
12-14-2010, 01:07 PM
I successfully sbf'd using the file from above. It worked flawlessly.

My only wish is to somehow revert to bone stock. After.sbf'ing and a factory reset I still had apps reappear without ever actually installing them. Im assuming this happened because my sdcard wasn't formatted or something wasn't cleared first.

Could someone post some step by step directions to rerturn to complete 100% stock? All data, system, files or whatever needs done. Many thanks in advance.

Sent from my DROIDX

Abe21599
12-14-2010, 01:14 PM
I successfully sbf'd using the file from above. It worked flawlessly.

My only wish is to somehow revert to bone stock. After.sbf'ing and a factory reset I still had apps reappear without ever actually installing them. Im assuming this happened because my sdcard wasn't formatted or something wasn't cleared first.

Could someone post some step by step directions to rerturn to complete 100% stock? All data, system, files or whatever needs done. Many thanks in advance.

Sent from my DROIDX

which sbf did u use?

if u used a full sbf and wiped data/cache afterwards, then there should be nothing left.

chucklehead
12-14-2010, 01:41 PM
Therein lies the problem. I didn't wipe data/cache after sbf'ing.

So the correct order for returning to fully stock would be:
1- Flashing the above sbf posted above to get me to. 340
2- Boot into built in recovery
3- Wiping data & cache
4- Performing a factory reset

Is that correct?

Sent via my DroidX

edit: It's been so long since I've flashed anything i had forgotten what I was doing. After searching around like I should've known better, I found the answer I was looking for.

Btango05
12-14-2010, 03:50 PM

3- Wiping data & cache

Is that correct?

Sent via my DroidX

edit: It's been so long since I've flashed anything i had forgotten what I was doing. After searching around like I should've known better, I found the answer I was looking for.

What was your answer? My recommendation would have been to do a FULL SBF using the flies found here (http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/droid-x-discussion/5633-droid-x-2-3-32-full-sbf.html) then OTA to .34 then Z4 root...

I too have not fiddled with my X for a while and just recently got back at it after I installed the OTA .34

Now I'm using Apex ROM after many months of just stock 2.2 use....Very nice ROM, the animations r brilliant! Oh how I missed a black status bar!

Abe21599
12-14-2010, 03:53 PM

3- Wiping data & cache

Is that correct?

Sent via my DroidX

its cool. but yea thats what u need to do, minus step 4 bc step 3 is the same thing.

w00tn3ss
12-14-2010, 05:50 PM
Okay, I downloaded Droid-Life's SBF and I think it works? I cant find the happy holidays from tbh sbf anywhere!! Can someone PM it to me???

Btango05
12-14-2010, 09:59 PM
Okay, I downloaded Droid-Life's SBF and I think it works? I cant find the happy holidays from tbh sbf anywhere!! Can someone PM it to me???

PM Sent

chucklehead
12-15-2010, 08:19 AM
Just to clarify...

I used the file from here (http://www.droid-life.com/2010/12/09/droid-x-2-3-340-system-sbf-released-for-2-3-320-leak-users/) to flash my DX. It did bring it completely up to date (.340) without needing the OTA update. I wiped cache partition then did a wipe data/factory reset using the built in Recovery. Once everything booted up I formatted my sdcard so any old uninstalled apps wouldn't leave anything behind.

When apps (purchased apps mostly) started reappearing without me reinstalling them I thought something didn't work right. Everything worked right but since things were apparently linked and backed up to my Google account they automatically installed. I'm assuming if backing up data to Google account isn't done this won't happen but I'm not gonna redo everything just to test the theory. If someone knows this to be the case they can let us know.

After all was said and done I did install the ZapX Bazinga ROM. It was the first and only ROM I had used on the DX and hadn't updated it since it's initial release so I was very surprised with the updates to it. The transitions are pretty cool. Probably gonna mess with the colors a bit to make it more red and dark.

Garemlin
12-15-2010, 08:37 AM
Just to clarify...

I used the file from here (http://www.droid-life.com/2010/12/09/droid-x-2-3-340-system-sbf-released-for-2-3-320-leak-users/) to flash my DX. It did bring it completely up to date (.340) without needing the OTA update. I wiped cache partition then did a wipe data/factory reset using the built in Recovery. Once everything booted up I formatted my sdcard so any old uninstalled apps wouldn't leave anything behind.

When apps (purchased apps mostly) started reappearing without me reinstalling them I thought something didn't work right. Everything worked right but since things were apparently linked and backed up to my Google account they automatically installed. I'm assuming if backing up data to Google account isn't done this won't happen but I'm not gonna redo everything just to test the theory. If someone knows this to be the case they can let us know.

All of your paid apps are automatically linked to your google account. It is just the way the market works.

dlsolo
12-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Wow, there has been a lot said in this thread. Key facts are:

- You can't use a 2.3.15 full SBF once you update to .320 or .340

- If you update to .320, there is a full SBF from TBH available for recovery

- If you update to .340, you CAN use the .320 full SBF for recovery

- To recovery back to a .340 blank slate, you will recover using a .320 SBF, then update using the .340 OTA system-only SBF

Those are my take aways from this post. I have successfully recovery from .340 using the TBH .320 SBF with no issues.

...as the fun continues.