PDA

View Full Version : Droid X says Im unrooted but ....

DroidXScott
12-09-2010, 06:34 AM
I tried to unroot before update, it said i was but I really wasnt. Tether still worked. Now after the update I'm not rooted my tether and adfree wont work but i still have the super user in my menu. I tried to root and unroot again using the one click but it wont do either? How do i get the superuser out of the menu since it says im not rooted ? I tried a hard reset but its still there? I dont want it in the menu if I'm not rooted! Anyone ?

Droid-Xer
12-09-2010, 09:41 AM
So no root apps work and you are on the new OTA system update?

SimplySweetness
12-09-2010, 12:34 PM
I have the same issue and i'm on 2.3.15 - superuser is still there but root explorer says the phone isn't rooted. Hmm.

Droid-Xer
12-09-2010, 12:40 PM
I have the same issue and i'm on 2.3.15 - superuser is still there but root explorer says the phone isn't rooted. Hmm.

How did you root? Z4, one click method, etc....

SimplySweetness
12-09-2010, 01:06 PM
I rooted one click. z4 doesn't work for me.

Droid-Xer
12-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Do you have any other root apps to try? Like TiBackup or quick boot

joeyjackpot
12-09-2010, 01:30 PM
my z4 worked fine after OTA. i didn't unroot before i updated.

wicked
12-09-2010, 02:16 PM
I dont want it in the menu if I'm not rooted! Anyone ?

hmmm, you mean you don't want it in the app drawer? I know this doesnt solve your problem but if you just want it gone fronm the app drawer and use LauncherPro you can go to general settings and "hidden apps" and hide it..

DroidXScott
12-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Ok...this is what work for me. I tried the RootmyX2 again same one I used to root and nothing. I download the Z4 program and it re-root my phone! Joy! I'm not sure if it un-root if need be,but my rooted apps are now working with the Z4.

DroidXScott
12-09-2010, 03:27 PM
hmmm, you mean you don't want it in the app drawer? I know this doesnt solve your problem but if you just want it gone fronm the app drawer and use LauncherPro you can go to general settings and "hidden apps" and hide it..

Exactly I was trying to get it out of the app drawer.

Droid-Xer
12-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Do you want root still? What launcher are you using? Like wicked said if you use launcher pro you can just hide the app from the drawer.

1KDS
12-09-2010, 05:37 PM
superuser is an app, you can uninstall it in menu->applications->manage->superuser->uninstall, just like any other app

SimplySweetness
12-09-2010, 06:56 PM
Do you have any other root apps to try? Like TiBackup or quick boot

I have titanium backup... also says not rooted. Not a big deal, really. I will be re-rooting tomorrow or so. Just hope it isn't going to effect it and all.

Sent from my DROIDX

Droid-Xer
12-09-2010, 07:48 PM
I have titanium backup... also says not rooted. Not a big deal, really. I will be re-rooting tomorrow or so. Just hope it isn't going to effect it and all.

Sent from my DROIDX

No it shouldn't be a problem if you're going to attempt root again. Let us know how it goes.

DroidXScott
12-09-2010, 09:21 PM
superuser is an app, you can uninstall it in menu->applications->manage->superuser->uninstall, just like any other app

Not on mine...I tried that it. The uninstall wasnt lit up so the button wouldnt do anything.

1KDS
12-09-2010, 09:26 PM
if you long press it from the app drawer then hold it over the trash can for a couple seconds will it reappear in the app drawer?

Droid-Xer
12-09-2010, 11:05 PM
Ya you cant delete superuser cuz its super! JK. You can rename the apk using root explorerer. I think thats the only way to do it...or sbf

ben1284
12-10-2010, 09:53 AM
So I updated to official update. Superuser is still there in my case also and not rooted any longer either..now how would I officially unroot the update that was just installed b/c I need a warranty replcmnt. Can I just sbf back to standard 2.2 file thats been out or is there a special sbf that I woild need since I updated to official release?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

firemarshallvin
12-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Ok...this is what work for me. I tried the RootmyX2 again same one I used to root and nothing. I download the Z4 program and it re-root my phone! Joy! I'm not sure if it un-root if need be,but my rooted apps are now working with the Z4.

Where did you get Z4 from? I've tried and tried, but I can't even install the damn app...

1KDS
12-10-2010, 08:53 PM
where are you getting it and how are you trying to install it?

goblueboy
12-10-2010, 09:00 PM
i have this same problem, im going to try z4 because i have no clue how to do any of the recovery stuff or "sfb" let along know what it means

yeah im a noob =/

thing is i just got root and then lost it 3 days after. good start to rooting right?

1KDS
12-10-2010, 09:00 PM
that's too bad, you're in the right place now

goblueboy
12-10-2010, 09:12 PM
does z4 normally take a long time?

1KDS
12-10-2010, 09:21 PM
yeah, it can. if it runs for more than 5-10 minutes stop the app if you can, reboot the phone and turn on usb debugging and try it again

Trimble1
12-11-2010, 08:38 AM
I just downloaded OTA, I was rooted so using TB I unfroze all bloat first, download OTA and it worked fine. I lost root but just did the Z4 method and all is well. Not sure if anything is really better with latest update but it worked great with minimal fuss. Thanks to all on this great forum, I just keep reading as much as possible before pulling the trigger on any updates and all the help here seems to be the biggest reason for success. Thanks again all. I appreciate it.

jim

mr2nr
12-11-2010, 08:51 AM
lol I am having the same issue. Have been working on the root unroot for the past hour and my batt tab is about tore out. I think I am officialy unrooted though as my emulator su doesnt show root it just says permision denied after typing SU. The sad thing is I rooted my phone the day before yesterday and everything was smooth as silk and I was trying to decide what ROM I wanted while at work. I noticed an update but choose to do it later as of course you have do do it according to the stock ROM!!!!! I turned on my phone later and must have accidentally "ENGAGED" the download UGH. So now I'm stuck in the same boat. Please post a link for Z4 so I can learn about that now. I get as far as..... Waiting on device in rootmyx2 Oneclick. I have tried using all the connection options have my debugging on and have reinstalled the drivers twice. Actually four times because I have tried it on two Pc's now also. I have a great tech guy who has showed me most of the tips and tricks but he has a Droid 1. So be wary new un ROMMED Hackers THIS UPDATE SUCKS!!! Pay close attention NOT to update unless you want a headache.

dburgessme2
12-11-2010, 10:05 AM
Z4 root is out there. I googled it and downloaded 1.3 version. Found it on my SD card under "download". Opened with app mgr and installed. Ran it and regained root no problem. (was previously rooted with rootmyx2. Didn't try that since z4 seems to be working so well.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

mr2nr
12-11-2010, 10:32 AM
I found the link in Droid Xr's sig. I love the fact that it is a app and you don't even need a PC to root your phone :) Worked great!!! Now to find a ROM. My friend uses Liquid Frozen Yogurt but I would like to try something different that will allow overclocking and a lot of temp and led and battery changeable settings. ...and eventually a theme. Anybody seen a nice Knight Rider looking theme? That's half the reason i got the Droid is the Red and Black predominance. I really don't know why they then choose the little Green guy icon though. I guess they thought they couldn't sell any to women if it didn't have something cute.

may0799
12-11-2010, 10:33 AM
[APP] z4root - xda-developers (http://tinyurl.com/28ugspx)
The z4root thread at XDA.

Droid-Xer
12-11-2010, 11:05 AM
Cool, did you get it z4 going?

mr2nr
12-11-2010, 02:17 PM
Yep it's rooted but still not ROMMed.

Droid-Xer
12-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Sweet, glad to hear that.