PDA

View Full Version : Droid Data Connection problem, but not what you think

SnoProLADD
12-08-2010, 09:51 PM
I've tried searching for this, but I can't find my specific problem.
On my one click rooted Droid x I've been having a data connection problem lately, with no perceivable event trigger. If Wi-Fi is on (not tether, just Wi-Fi), I will lose a data connection (maps, market, browser...nothing will connect) If I disable Wi_Fi, everything works, until I turn it back on. It doesn't matter if I have an available network or not, even standing near my router or driving down the road. And it even happens when I have full 3G...seems like the Droid can't switch between the two for some reason. Is there a way to resolve this? I usually leave Wi-Fi on so i get faster data...but now I'm stuck on 3G

running:
One click root (super user)
Droid X overclock, LV 1250mhz on demand w/ good battery, lower w/ less
Itching thumb task manager

ryant35
12-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Did you upgrade Android to 2.2 when it came out a couple of months ago? One of the fixes with the update was smoother transition between 3G & Wifi. I had a similar problem when I walked outside with wifi on and went out of range I couldn't get data until I reconnected to my wifi or turned it off. Now with 2.2 it transitions just fine.

WugFresh
12-08-2010, 10:40 PM
When your device successfully connects to a WiFi network, even if the 3G service is technically enabled, the android system automatically stops using it and routes all the data transfer through the WiFi network. So when you turn the WiFi on and its not connected to a network, your device stops using 3G temporarily and attempts to scan for and connect to nearby WiFi. The device isnt smart enough yet to eventually give up searching for WiFi and revert back to the 3G network. So until you manually turn WiFi off, your 3G has essentially been on yeild. You leaving WiFi on all the time is not giving you faster data transfer.. it has to successfully connect to a WiFi network, meaning you should see the little 3G status icon in your notification bar switch to a WiFi signal strength icon. If you dont see the WiFi icon then your just using the 3G and wasting your battery.

Solution:
Download Auto WiFi Toggle; this app will set your device to periodically (you choose the time intervals) turn on WiFi, scan for nearby networks, try to connect (you set how long it should make these attempts), and if it fails.. automatically turn the WiFi back off. You can u change the settings in other ways to modify how it operates.

Download an app/widget which lets you toggle the 3G network on and off, sometimes if it hangs.. simply turning it off and then back on is the easiest way to fix it. Also a toggle for autosync is good to have because reseting it can also help fix network hangs. I personally use:
Power Control Plus (widget)
for this because it has toggles for pretty much everything, but it does cost 2 bucks; alternatively, I'm sure you could find a free app that does the same thing.

Hope that helps.

-WugFresh

Sent from my DROIDX

SnoProLADD
12-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Hey, thanks to all for the help. I had already done the update, so that wasn't the problem. The other things didn't help either. I wonder if I should re-root the phone and try again. Naturally I'm on my way to hawaii and won't be able to mess with it for over a week...rats

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

eric eakin
12-09-2010, 07:26 PM
wifi - try rebooting your router and modem , and forget the wifi connection on your phone in settings. when mine stops connecting to wifi thats all i have to do....

Droid-Xer
12-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Reconnect the x to your wifi system. And get rid of the friggin task killer. That could be the issue. Task killeres, memory managers, autostarts are not needed on 2.2 and above.

WugFresh
12-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Reconnect the x to your wifi system. And get rid of the friggin task killer. That could be the issue. Task killeres, memory managers, autostarts are not needed on 2.2 and above.

Thats the truth. By the way... I dont actually use Auto WiFi Toggle myself, it just seemed like an app that maybe the OP would want.

In my experience with electronic devices in general, I have found that most internet related problems can be solved by some toggling on and off procedure. If you already tried a bunch of toggling, tried it with/without the charger, and any sort of similar on off sequences... then yeah might want to try to revert to stock root rom...

-WugFresh

Sent from my DROIDX