PDA

View Full Version : 720P Video Testing Droid X vs. Panasonic HMC-40 - PART II

DebianDog
12-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Since my last head to head, some folks wanted to see shots on a tripod. In good and mixed lighting, etc... I taped and velcro'ed my Droid X to my camcorder then mounted it to the fluid head tripod. It was actually, surprisingly, secure.

I have been known to "dog" out the Droid X video capabilities but for A PHONE, I think it did excellent head to head. It does studder on pans and has washed out colors but all and all compared to a $1500 device. Nice! :)

Since the Droid runs at about 10 mbits and the HMC-40 runs at almost 80 mbits I crushed the compression down to 3500 to make it a more fair fight. Then uploaded that to YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUuEDDYoU9g

dvdcatalyst
12-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Great comparison Dog, nice !

I know its a bit unfair to compare a phone with a pro camera, but still, its holding its own quite good.

From the videos, I think the biggest quality issue with the X is the auto-lighting. Overall, the image doesn't look as vivid as the one from your camera.

Could you upload the videos for each device separate, 1 for the camera and 1 for the X. Seeing them in the video as a compare makes the X look a bit bad, but I think when you view the videos separate, it could give a icer impression.

Thanks for sharing though.

one question. In the walking bit, are you wearing wooden-shoes?

Droid-Xer
12-08-2010, 04:25 PM
Ya the autolighting in the x is pretty crappy. Not bad for a phone, but not good to shoot your wedding or other outdoor events.

wicked
12-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Ya the autolighting in the x is pretty crappy. Not bad for a phone, but not good to shoot your wedding or other outdoor events.

I agree but it's good enough to make homemade videos with the mrs. ;)

Droid-Xer
12-08-2010, 05:15 PM
I agree but it's good enough to make homemade videos with the mrs. ;)

This is true...hahaha

DebianDog
12-08-2010, 06:22 PM
one question. In the walking bit, are you wearing wooden-shoes?

LOL no just sneakers... the mic on the camera is really good. You should hear the shotgun mic!

I was also thinking that the Droid would have fair a bit better in the direct sunlight if it has a lens shield on it.

But this is some of the best footage I have shot with the Droid X.