PDA

View Full Version : Question about updating, unrooting and what to remove?

budmonster
12-08-2010, 10:53 AM
I'm still on OS 2.2 v2.3.15 w/ root. I used RootMyX2 to root. I was reading that some DX users had to flash the SBF file and then click "Wipe/Reset" and "Clear Cache" for them to receive the 2.3.340 update? Do I still need to flash the SBF or just unroot? RootMyX2 has an unroot button, I obviously just his the unroot button and I should be good, SU and busybox should be removed. Don't I have to remove Clockwork, logwrapper, etc. somehow? I'm not sure what files need to be removed to be fully unrooted. What files do I need to remove and how do I go about doing it? Right now I'm not getting any updates in settings. Yeah, I know the update really doesn't change much, but I'm picky and want to be up to date. Sorry, if this has all be answered before.

Thanks guys...BUD :)

joeyjackpot
12-08-2010, 10:58 AM
The update cannot be pulled by everyone yet. It is actually rolling out in batches. You do not need to unroot before updating. You can re-root using z4 root immediately after updating. You must return to stock, yes that means letting go of your themes and roms if you want to do this OTA. Might be easier if you wait for the developer to update the rom you're on using this new build.

budmonster
12-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Thanks Joe...

I understand the updates go out in groups and not all at once and it might take a couple more days for me to get it but I just want to know how to completely unroot so I can be ready for it...

Could you tell me how to remove Clockwork and all those other files that I need to remove? I posted it above. I'm not sure what files need to be removed or renamed, etc.

Thanks -BUD

joeyjackpot
12-08-2010, 11:02 AM
I have no idea about clockwork or bootstrappers as i've never rommed/themed/modded. That's a question for someone who has done that stuff.

As far as I know, you can leave your root applications in tact, your system just needs to be stock.

budmonster
12-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Root applications? Like Root Explorer, etc.?

If anyone can help me out with what needs to be removed, please let me know. I know CW Recovery and something about a logwrapper has to be removed and some other files. Not sure what though and how to do it.

joeyjackpot
12-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Root applications - anything that needs root permissions - Titanium, AdFree, Root Explorer, etc. You dont have to uninstall them - they just won't work until you re-root.

As for clockwork and all that jazz, that may need to be removed.