PDA

View Full Version : Rooting Help 101 Plz?

Dr. Taco
12-07-2010, 10:57 PM
I just got a Droid X and am aware of a process called rooting. I'm not very enthusiastic about bricking my new phone so can you guys give me some pointers on this? I mainly want to do this for WiFi Tether as I'm not going to pay for AT&T's crappy 3G service (and it's limited too!) just to get 3G on my iPad when I'm already paying for an unlimited plan from Verizon for my phone. (Also I'm not paying Verizon 20$ a month for their 3G Mobile Hotspot, yeah I know I'm greedy, but they are too...)

I've been doing some research on this and I've so far found this app called VISIONary for temporary one click rooting. I've seen conflicting information as to whether the app will work for Droid X, some people say it does, others say it doesnt. I installed the .apk file manually for it since it was removed from the market, and I select temp root now, and it just goes to a screen saying it's "rooting your device"...forever. Can someone give me a straight answer as to if it works for Droid X or not?

Second, what is the latest Android version for Droid X? I've seen different answers on this one too. Does Droid X have 2.3 or are we still on 2.2? What rooting method should I use that is compatible with the current Android version?

Third, if VISIONary does in fact not work with the Droid X, then what is the easiest way to root your device, and how would you go about doing it? (I'd prefer temporary rooting [that does reduce chance of bricking right?] and also one-click rooting jobs would be nice, especially if they are temporary for current boot session) A step by step guide (oh and files that don't have viruses in them >_>) would be appreciated.

Fourth (I know, noob haz l0tz of ?'s <_<), I know what a ROM is but how exactly do they work on the Droid X? Do you need to be rooted for them to work? Are they just themes or are they completely separate user interfaces? Do they cause crashing or bricking? Do tell.

Fifth, What are all the pros/cons of rooting you Droid X and what all can you do with a rooted device besides deleting stock programs and WiFi tethering?

If you guys answer all my questions then seriously I will freakin send DXForums the new Optimus Prime toy for Xmas. (The Hasbro one, not the crappy Michael Bay one)

And the answerer(s) get over 9000 awesome points.

Thanks

Abe21599
12-07-2010, 11:05 PM
1) u should use permanent root. theres also z4root out there but what u have should work

2)2.2 is the official one out now but i think 2.2.1 (2.3.34) should be out soon (like possibly tonight)

3)it should, but heres another good read
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/12081-rooolers-guide-root-unroot-backup-rom-sbf-overclock.html

4)ROM is the overall framework of the phone. need to be rooted. themes are usually just looks for roms. some have issues but most are stable.

5)main ones
pro-gain more access over ur phone
cons-void the warranty (although there are ways to revert back to stock so VZW cant tell)
besides what u mentioned, ROMs and theming come to mind. theres a lot out there.

hope that helps :)

Dr. Taco
12-07-2010, 11:08 PM
So when 2.3 comes out will the root still work? Are there certain one that will and certain ones that wont? And if VISIONary does work how come it gets stuck doing a temp boot, or am I just not waiting long enough?

Droid-Xer
12-07-2010, 11:11 PM
1. Try z4 root, google it and it should be in the XDA site...for root
2. 2.2 is the latest the system version changes but not the operating system
3. You cant brick doing root..either it roots or it doesnt..look up rooolers guide to rooting under hacking forum
4. root required, X roms are not 100% custom as there is no access to the bootloader for custom, kernels, but you can run a rom that removes all stock Moto apps and no you cant brick with roms because there is a back to stock SBF file for any foul ups.
5.Root has numerous advantages...too many to list, but basically youre opening up your phone to full customization. there are no negatives to rooting

Abe21599
12-07-2010, 11:11 PM
its really all gonna depend on what exploits work when it comes out. you will lose root (see sticky in DX hacks section) but u can reroot and be good to go.

id just try a different method. heres what i used
Multiple phones - Root them, unroot them - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/80208-multiple-phones-root-them-unroot-them.html)

Droid-Xer
12-07-2010, 11:12 PM
Googlr z4 rooy app on your phone and there should be a link to download the one click app

Dr. Taco
12-07-2010, 11:15 PM
Okay well I got VISIONary to work, but you guys are implying that a permanent root is better. So z4root is permanent right? And it's one click? I guess I should go for that right?

Also i got WiFi Tether to work. Thanks a bunch guys.

You guys all get 9001 awesome points.

Abe21599
12-07-2010, 11:15 PM
it has the permanent option. and yes u want permanent.

wicked
12-07-2010, 11:17 PM
z4root 1.3.0 apk download
(http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N3126UA1)

Droid-Xer
12-07-2010, 11:19 PM
thanks wicked... i was too lazy to post link

Dr. Taco
12-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Now will I be able to tether more than one device? I've heard you can only do one is that not true?

I'm downloading z4root as we type. Thanks again for all the instantaneous help guys.

Droid-Xer
12-07-2010, 11:26 PM
Wireless tether does several i believe just not other phones

Dr. Taco
12-07-2010, 11:27 PM
Ah okay thanks, as long as I can tether my iPad and Laptop on the go then I'm good.

Droid-Xer
12-07-2010, 11:29 PM
Should be able to. Try also barnacle and pdanet if wireless tether doesnt work well

Dr. Taco
12-07-2010, 11:37 PM
Argh okay people new problem. I can't detect my .apk files with the installer I'm using (fast app installer) what the hell is wrong? And when I try to install z4root from files, it gets a parse error -_- You guys seem to be able to pull answers out of nowhere, got one for this?

God why can't things be simple and work for me...

wicked
12-07-2010, 11:52 PM
Try a battery pull, take it out for 30 seconds then restart

Dr. Taco
12-07-2010, 11:57 PM
It doesn't look like that file you gave me Wicked is valid. I've tried to download the .apk for z4root from other places but my Antivirus (Kaspersky) is saying the file contains a virus. Is this normal?

wicked
12-07-2010, 11:59 PM
umm it's a file that a lot of people have downloaded and it has worked. :confused:
not sure about the other you've downloaded but scanned the one I posted and no viruses..

care to post links for the others you've found?

edit: try here I uploaded it to mediafire z4root.1.3.0.apk (http://www.mediafire.com/?s9b6qoba91282sq)

Dr. Taco
12-08-2010, 12:07 AM
Heres one of em, I can't find the other one.

z4root 1 1 0 apk (http://www10.speedyshare.com/files/25117884/download/z4root.1.1.0.apk) <-- Id be careful with that if I were you, Kaspersky says theres a " Exploit.Linux.Lotoor.g (http://www.securelist.com/en/search?VN=Exploit.Linux.Lotoor.g)" virus in it, or is that just a misdetection?

I did a battery pull and I uninstalled my apk installer program and reinstalled it. I can detect the VISIONary apk but not the z4root apk...and in files the z4root apk is still giving me a parse error. =/

"There is a problem parsing the package" argh >_<

Edit: Okay now I'm getting that virus warning for the one you provided Wicked, I'm pretty convinced now that it's a misdetection. I'm going to try downloading it from the other site. Got any other ideas?

Dr. Taco
12-08-2010, 12:21 AM
edit: try here I uploaded it to mediafire z4root.1.3.0.apk (http://www.mediafire.com/?s9b6qoba91282sq)

Thanks, that one works, still getting the virus warning from Kaspy but I think it's just being over-protective. You might wanna let people with Kaspersky know that there is a false positive on the file.

Okay so z4 root is installed, anything else I need to know/recommendations?

Thanks for the help guys.

wicked
12-08-2010, 12:32 AM
ok cool, glad you got that sorted...

you can check this thread out http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/1466-apps-your-rooted-droid-x.html

Dr. Taco
12-08-2010, 12:34 AM
ARRRGH WILL THIS NEVER END?

Okay now Wireless Tethering isn't working, it says that it's tethering but on my iPad (and yes it is connected to AndroidTether) it won't load anything it just says the server is not responding.

Any ideas?

And I know Wireless Tether works because it was working fine with VISIONary root.

god why does this keep happening to me...

wicked
12-08-2010, 12:52 AM
ok close the app then go into settings->applications->manage applications->all
then scroll down to "wireless tether" then click force stop then clear data
if that doesnt make any difference, uninstall wireless tether and reinstall

Dr. Taco
12-08-2010, 01:01 AM
Well I uninstalled it, and I'd love to reinstall it but somethings up with my connection. Maybe that's why Wireless Tether isn't working? Gimmie a sec...

Okay app is reinstalled but it appears that my 3G is down??? Um..paranoia onsetting...you don't think Verizon disabled my 3G because I used Wireless Tether...am I being paranoid?...I think I am. I hope I am.

wicked
12-08-2010, 01:08 AM
I'm going to bed in a few, so hopefully you get it all fixed or someone else can jump in here and help.
Good luck.

Dr. Taco
12-08-2010, 01:11 AM
Well I'm just gonna pray that my 3G is back up in the morning, and that Wireless Tether isn't working because my local 3G is down.

God I hope I'm not screwed somehow or someway.

Droid-Xer
12-08-2010, 08:13 AM
VZW wont know you're rooted or have tether. Unless you use like 50 gigs of data transfer a month. You probably didn't have tether cuz you didn't have a 3g data connection.

smalltowngirl13
12-08-2010, 08:22 AM
Well I'm just gonna pray that my 3G is back up in the morning, and that Wireless Tether isn't working because my local 3G is down.

God I hope I'm not screwed somehow or someway.

There was some 3G issues notated yesterday - I am sure this was your issue...

jbrandona119
12-08-2010, 08:25 AM
Yeah it wasn't just you with that 3g issue, it should be working for you now.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App