PDA

View Full Version : Google Map's Newest Update Coming Soon to Droid X

danDroid
12-07-2010, 11:37 AM
http://www.droidforums.net/img/new-google-map-127.jpeg

There's going to be a new update to the Google Map App for the Android and it gets some amazing new features! First, the new maps load faster because the new vector based drawing uses 100 times less data than previously. Furthermore, this new feature adds new functionality as well. The vector based dynamic rendering method allows the view of the city to go 3D when zoomed in, and you can even tilt and rotate the building view!

Another new feature is that it uses the Android's built-in compass to orient the view based on the position of the person holding the phone. It even offers offline caching for those times when you need to recheck a route you've used before, but don't really need to get online again. Thanks to Android Chief Andy Rubin for giving us this preview at the D Mobile Conference (http://allthingsd.com/d/dive-into-mobile/). This is pretty exciting stuff! I don't know about you guys, but Google Map has always been one of my favorite apps for the Android.

by dgstorm

Droid-Xer
12-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Another major upgrade, thanks for the info dandroid! Looks sexy!

onehandsolo
12-07-2010, 12:10 PM
I can tell i'll be finding a way to cache all the US maps depending on size

If it's really 100X less data it shouldn't be more then a few gigs :)

goliath602
12-07-2010, 12:53 PM
That looks freakin awesome. I want it now :p.

UnlikelySalsero
12-07-2010, 01:21 PM
<Snip>

There's going to be a new update to the Google Map App for the Android and it gets some amazing new features! First, the new maps load faster because the new vector based drawing uses 100 times less data than previously. Furthermore, this new feature adds new functionality as well. The vector based dynamic rendering method allows the view of the city to go 3D when zoomed in, and you can even tilt and rotate the building view!

<snip> This is pretty exciting stuff! I don't know about you guys, but Google Map has always been one of my favorite apps for the Android.

by dgstorm

Living in LA and driving quite a bit and run Nav almost every day. Just the traffic view (near real time) has saved me hours over the life of my DX. Frankly, I purchased my first smart phone because of Nav, and it's probably my most used app.

I generally mute the sound on my known routes just to have the traffic views updating...

PS: "Places" is very cool too! Those map/nav developers have their act together. Someday they will stop calling it "Beta" but I suspect they leave it there for cover since it's such a huge country and almost impossible to have all routes in all places work as expected.

joeyjackpot
12-07-2010, 01:49 PM
oh LA... i used nav so much when I was out there... way more time than i actually spent on phonecalls

SVDroidDude
12-07-2010, 02:48 PM
This is one update I'm REALLY looking forward to!!

Chazmr
12-08-2010, 11:14 AM
That looks really great. Any idea when it will be available?
Thanks.

mikeinrichmond
12-08-2010, 05:38 PM
Yea, finally being able to cache maps so you can see where you are going when the 3g is down will be awesome! By Bye Garmin, hello X. :)

goliath602
12-09-2010, 11:50 PM
Any word on the release date?

wicked
12-10-2010, 03:04 AM
Any word on the release date?

a little off topic, how's your leg coming along?

goliath602
12-10-2010, 03:53 AM
a little off topic, how's your leg coming along?

Lol. Its doing alot better. Barely having any pain now, and swelling is almost gone. Still can't walk though, I have 10 more days to go hopefully. Appreciate you asking.

wicked
12-10-2010, 04:04 AM
Glad to hear it's getting better. Those 10 days will go by quick enough...

Terp
12-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Think they'll take the search bar back off? Held onto the older version(4.4?) because of it taking up more space than I liked. After today's update it brougt me up to the newer version....

SVDroidDude
12-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Sheesh...a few days is 2 or 3 isn't it?

psychotic_penguin
12-11-2010, 05:40 PM
I read it's pending release either next week or the week after, the source is somewhat reliable.

SVDroidDude
12-11-2010, 07:29 PM
I read it's pending release either next week or the week after, the source is somewhat reliable.

Thanks!

SVDroidDude
12-13-2010, 03:29 PM
A more in depth demo.....way cool!

YouTube - Google Mobile Maps with 3D buildings (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXZT_YKh-20&feature=player_embedded#)!

wicked
12-13-2010, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the video

mikeinrichmond
12-13-2010, 06:33 PM
A more in depth demo.....way cool!

YouTube - Google Mobile Maps with 3D buildings (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXZT_YKh-20&feature=player_embedded#)!

Sweet vid, thanks! Nice to get a heads up on some of the great new features..

SVDroidDude
12-16-2010, 01:27 PM
Released! Go grab it in the market. Very very nice!!

UnlikelySalsero
12-16-2010, 02:11 PM
Released! Go grab it in the market. Very very nice!!

Installed and working great for me now.

Right after install I immediately opened it. It was slow to open, then it rebooted my X unexpectedly.

After the reboot it's all good. In many ways I'm happy things look just about the same. It is clearly faster for me, and I think the benefits of the cached maps will only be obvious when I get a phone call on the road, and the maps continue to work.

It just keeps getting better!