PDA

View Full Version : Why Is Rooting Bad?

Show
12-07-2010, 01:47 AM
This maybe a slighty retarded topic.

But why?

I just watched the gingerbread video and it further pushed me to ask the question. In the video they kept chiming on how the new updates to the Android will help developers
enhance the features of the phone.

True that could in a regular application, but some of the good ones require root.

If rooting is so bad? Why does market place sell rooted apps?

I stayed away from root for the longest, then one day I said literally why not?

I prematurely upgraded to the leak, then flashed back to the original Froyo release, then I just rooted with a one click method and never looked back.

I'm rooted, I'm Rom'ed & I'm themed. Verizon still gets there monthly bill. What is wrong with rooting?

Is it because I'm not buying crap from Amazon or Blockbuster? I don't have a need for NEED FOR SPEED? Or anything on Vcast?

+_ Sorry Just Bickering..

WugFresh
12-07-2010, 02:02 AM
I bet verizons not getting their monthly bill for tethering lol.

Sent from my DROIDX using Droid X Forum App

Show
12-07-2010, 02:07 AM
I bet verizons not getting their monthly bill for tethering lol.

Funny thing is I don't use tethering.....

But I see your point, and I won't lie it is a app on my phone ;)

mikeinrichmond
12-07-2010, 02:38 AM
It was the same when I had my iphone. Jailbroke it just to be able to install themes etc, never used it for tethering. Now I'm rooted to run the fast ROM's and get rid of motorola Blur bloat.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Garemlin
12-07-2010, 04:39 AM
Moving to appropriate subforum

joeyjackpot
12-07-2010, 09:01 AM
i root just to control what's running on my phone - don't 'steal' services or programs.

Droid-Xer
12-07-2010, 09:11 AM
Its a matter of companies ensuring their products meet their requirements and meet all specifications. You see it daily on this forum where ignorant people screw up their phones and blame VZW, Motorola, devs, etc for their stupid mistake. Rooters/hackers are only a small percentage of smart phone buyers. Imagine if everyone rooted their phones how many problems and complaints there would be about this and that.

ArthurIhde
12-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Hmmm,I want to know too.

wicked
12-07-2010, 11:48 PM
Don't know if root is bad but root canals are! :p

plumcrazy
12-08-2010, 05:53 AM
the absolute only reason i rooted was to have copy/paste. i dont have any roms or anything else, just that one app.

phxdroidx
12-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Tethering and theming.. and the price is freeeeeee.. gotta love root..

CrAsH_OvErIdE
12-10-2010, 10:58 AM
God forbid you use something you pay for. LoL.

RKramden
01-08-2011, 10:07 AM
I originally rooted just to ditch the bloat. Then through reading all the forum posts re: Roms & such I dove in. I haven't come up for air yet!!

redsox 98
01-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Yeah this gets me as well. Isn't one of the big angles of android is open market. That means to me that the day I walked out of the Verizon store that this is my phone as long as I pay my bill this thing is mine to do as I wish. When I do something to my phone to change it from the way it was when it was first activated it. Then it is on me. If I screw this thing up then my bad.

psychotic_penguin
01-08-2011, 05:29 PM
I rooted to have control of my phone, I rarely use tethering or any other hacks.

WugFresh
01-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Reasons To Root (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-general-discussion/5513-why-do-you-root-load-custom-rom-2.html#post134739)
Root already (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-help/13804-root-not-root.html#post128906)
Why Root? (http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacking-guides/13485-how-use-droid-x-bootstrap.html#post124595)

{{ WugFresh }}

mcdonnjd
01-09-2011, 01:00 AM
I hear Aussies like to root... ;)

izomiac
01-09-2011, 01:13 AM
Rooting is "bad" because you can use it to modify your /system partition. If you screw something up, you need to use the bootloader to reflash a new system image. This is beyond the capabilities of most people, and phone support cannot walk you through it. So, when people inevitably break something they'll be upset that a reset won't fix it, and have to physically take their phone to a Verizon store for service.

There's also the fact that having root access by default is the reason older versions of Windows were ridiculously insecure. If everyone had it then I'd expect to see some more serious Android malware. Verizon would absolutely hate the bad PR and support issues that would stem from such a thing. OTOH, I'm really glad that programmers (especially Sony ones) can't implement stuff like rootkits for their stupid DRM.

Droid-Xer
01-09-2011, 01:32 AM
Actually with SBFs and now update zips, there's very little chance of truly bricking a phone. And its not a very involved, complicated task to flash an SBF. Open source projects have no more risk than closed systems either.

Smerkster
01-09-2011, 01:43 AM
rooting is bad because it's the gateway hack to bigger hacks like overclocking and soon you need more of a rush and you'll find yourself up late at nite missing work search forums for any kind of cracked app you can find.

psychotic_penguin
01-09-2011, 02:06 AM
Rooting in itself holds very little risk. What people do after they root is the problem and that problem stems from people not properly researching the topic before they do anything to their phone.

Another thing just like on your computer making a backup is your best friend. Not making a backup of your system and even the files your SD Card is just plain wrong.

Reading the instructions is paramount and 80% of the problems that we deal with on the forum day in and day out is due to folks being in a hurry and just flashing away. As Droid X-er mentioned with the current updates we have available atm it's really hard to totally brick your phone to the point it's not recoverable.

Doing an sbf, as previously mentioned, is a simple task after you get past the terror that you may have a brick.

Bottom line in my opinion rooting isn't bad, the problem in most cases is human error.

wicked
01-09-2011, 02:11 AM
well said Penguin :) couldn't have said it better myself

spodoc
01-09-2011, 02:02 PM
The issue with many is that getting into trouble is much easier than getting out of it, especially if you lack patience and the ability to read carefully. Unfortunately these are the same character traits that get many into trouble

That said, I'm sure I will be stuck in a bootloop tomorrow and then when I ask for help someone will just refer me back to my post here:)

russ8793
01-09-2011, 07:15 PM
rooting is bad because it's the gateway hack to bigger hacks like overclocking and soon you need more of a rush and you'll find yourself up late at nite missing work search forums for any kind of cracked app you can find.

Sounds like someone is speaking from experience. LOL!!!! :)